Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-24-2002, 02:48 PM   #1
DTL
Diamond Member

DTL is on a distinguished road

link
Wang says he'll return home, but wants to work on his game first

June 24, 2002

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) -- Speculation that Wang Zhizhi might defect to the United States is just that -- speculation, said the Dallas Mavericks backup center, who did not return China after the NBA season ended.

Wang says he's been in Los Angeles practicing so that when he does return to the Chinese American Basketball Association, he will be a greater asset to his team.

``I'm not defecting, and I don't plan to defect,'' Wang told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram in Monday's editions. ``My main goal is to get better so I can help China to achieve the highest standing in the World Championships.

``I really stayed here because I want to work on rebounding and defense, so I can really make an impact next season.''

Calls by The Associated Press to Wang's agent were not returned.

Earlier this month, Wang's whereabouts became a mystery after he missed two deadlines to return to China to prepare for the World Championship games in Indianapolis this summer.

The CBA had written two letters ordering him to return so that he could practice with the Chinese national team.

The Mavericks repeatedly tried to contact Wang when the season ended. The team had an agreement with the CBA that said Wang must return home once their season was over.

In a telephone interview from Los Angeles, Wang told the newspaper that he ignored the demands because he simply wanted to stay in America and improve his game against better competition.

``They wanted me to come back, but it was important for me to stay here to improve my basketball skills,'' Wang said through interpreter Simon Chan, who also works as his adviser.

Wang said CBA officials were not upset with his decision to stay in America this summer. He said he did not see a need to contact the Mavericks about his whereabouts because he has ``a whole bunch of coaches'' taking him through two-a-day workouts in Los Angeles.

``I plan on being in touch with Dallas real soon,'' Wang said. ``I'm doing very well here, and what I'm working on now is what the coaches what me to work on, and that's rebounding and playing defense.''

Wang plans to join other members of the Chinese national team when they come to America in late August to prepare for the World Championships, which will be Aug. 29-Sept. 8 in Indianapolis. He also said he would be surprised if he doesn't receive a warm reception from his Chinese coaches and teammates.

Wang said he knows when he eventually goes home, the CBA will permit him to come back and play in the NBA.

``I still have some things I need to discuss with the CBA, but most likely I'll return to China before the NBA season starts.''

Last week, the Mavericks made a qualifying offer of $737,000 to Wang, who is a restricted free agent. Under NBA rules, that means the Mavericks have 15 days to match any offer Wang receives up to the midlevel exception of $4.5 million.

A 1999 second-round draft pick by the Mavericks, Wang hopes to re-sign with Dallas.

``It really depends on the situation with the other teams, and on the money,'' he said. ``Talk to Mavs owner Mark Cuban.''

DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2002, 03:14 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like we might have our Wang hanging around for a few more years.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote