Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-25-2002, 02:49 PM   #41
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

kg... where's the interior defense going to come from?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2002, 02:56 PM   #42
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

I love the moving Dirk to the 3 for rebounding and offense but I hate it for his defense. He will struggle mightily against quicker 3s in the league.

But then again maybe not... he plays very good d when Bradley's on the court. Maybe with two shotblockers behind him he can be a lot more aggressive with steals and on the ball pressure. It may not be as negative as I thought.. (still think he could be his best as a PF)
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 02:57 PM   #43
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

<< kg... where's the interior defense going to come from? >>

Well, Raef guards power forwards better than he does centers... and Bradley is lot better one on one defender than Raef... so the interior d with those two is pretty solid.

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 02:59 PM   #44
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

<< kg... where's the interior defense going to come from? >>

The exact quote regarding Nelson was this:

<< &quot;Nelson wants to move Raef LaFrentz from center to power forward and Dirk Nowitzki from power forward to small forward. Nelson believes that should solve the team's rebounding woes.&quot; >>

And that was the point of my prior post: that moving to a bigger lineup helps to solve the club's rebounding problems even before any new pieces are added. I think Bradley playing more consistently, especially alongside Raef, could help the interior defense substantially, but since I hate to pin any hopes on the Death Stick, I'd say that interior defensive help must still be acquired, likely in the form of one or more of the many guys we've discussed in numerous prior threads. For example, imagine if you could run this lineup out there:

Olowokandi - Bradley
LaFrentz - Najera
Nowitzki - Griffin
Finley - TAW
Nash - NVE

I like the looks of that a lot, and you'd certainly have a nice rebounding team with that unit. I bet if Nellie can land Olowokandi, or even Keon Clark (insert his name for Olowokandi above), he'll keep NVE around rather than dealing him. I'm torn on whether that's a good idea or not.

Old 06-25-2002, 03:03 PM   #45
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like this might be the end of the small ball era.

THANK YOU GOD!!!!
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 03:04 PM   #46
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

<< I love the moving Dirk to the 3 for rebounding and offense but I hate it for his defense. He will struggle mightily against quicker 3s in the league.

But then again maybe not... he plays very good d when Bradley's on the court. Maybe with two shotblockers behind him he can be a lot more aggressive with steals and on the ball pressure. It may not be as negative as I thought.. (still think he could be his best as a PF)
>>

The positives far outweigh the negative when you talk about Dirk struggling to guard his man vs. his man struggling to guard him. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Also, as I've pointed out before in other threads, Dirk is never going to be a guy that we look at as a great (or even good) defender. We just need him to learn and use solid defensive positioning and technique to minimize defensive mistakes. Also, the point about Bradley being on the floor is a great one. Dirk is a lot more aggressive when he has Bradley behind him, and with Raef behind him as well, he'd have double the opportunities to gamble/be more aggressive. Imagine how difficult it would be for most teams to ram the ball down the Mavs' throats with really three shotblockers on the floor. I'm actually very intrigued by that idea. Add a guy like Clark or Olowokandi, and you have yet another shotblocker to throw out there.

I agree that Dirk is best at PF, but what's to say that he can't play that position offensively? Raef certainly has the range to stand out on the perimeter...

Old 06-25-2002, 03:10 PM   #47
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

The thought of that lineup makes me drool.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 03:15 PM   #48
Base Line Guy
Golden Member

Base Line Guy is on a distinguished road

I like it! I wonder if you can dangle NVE, no.55 and maybe something else (another draft choice, perhaps next year) for KT, CW and their no.7.

BLG
Old 06-25-2002, 03:23 PM   #49
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i don't think dirk's best defensive position is going to be small forward...probably PF. however, the mavs can strengthen their team by adding someone at the 4-5 spot and moving dirk to three almost full time..

and yes, if the mavs can sign Kandi, then i don't think they necessarily move NVE.

I'm not as sold on Clark as some... brings more of a shotblocker..not necessarily the defensive presence some are looking for..but, an upgrade
Old 06-25-2002, 03:30 PM   #50
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I keep hearing people saying Dirk can't defend the three that well. Well if we get some more interior defense, I think Dirk will be just fine. Not to mention, Nellie plays more zone defense than ANYONE in the NBA, and if Dirk were in there with a lineup of Raef at the five or four and he had another low post defender, he would play some sort of defense to protect Dirk.

It's not like he's a STIFF out there, he may have problems getting back on defense but that's something that he needs to address anyway because he tends to not get back when he's playing the four or five. I think he can defend the 3 just fine. It may take him away from the basket but I think he's not that bad of a defensive small forward.
Old 06-25-2002, 04:11 PM   #51
Murphy3
Guru

dirk creates some problems for threes..as well, they create problems for him..however, having a shot blocker in raef will help out..plus, dirk is pretty good at recovering and swatting from behind (which, i think he'll become better adept at doing).

he's not going to be a great defender at the three spot..but, i don't see him being much of a liability there either
Old 06-25-2002, 04:46 PM   #52
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

That's my point. That's why I cringe when I hear people say he can't play the three because of defensive purposes. He would have just as many problems defending the three as he would at the 4 or 5. In my opinion, he poses MORE of an issue when he's facing the basket at the 3 position. I THINK so anyway.

I would LOVE if we could get a banger in here like Thomas or someone like that and have a starting line up of

Nash, Fin, Dirk, Thomas and Raef...

Actually to be honest, if we keep Bradley I wouldn't mind seeing a line up Nash, Fin, Dirk Raef and Bradley. I mean really Bradley wouldn't have to do much defensively.

I've always been an advocate of Dirk playing 3.