Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-26-2002, 10:00 AM   #1
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

It's time for final predictions, thoughts, expectations, etc..

Although there has been a lot of speculation to trades, my feeling the day of is that the Mavs will be inactive tonight. NVE will still be a Maverick after tonight and we pick a Euro at 55 and keep him overseas. I don't predict that anybody will give us a "can't miss" deal tonight prior to free agency. Up until this point, I was giving the Mavs a 50/50 shot that they would be active tonight. Now, I say 10/90. I have no reasoning other than a gut feeling, only a prediction.

How does everybody else feel this morning?
Old 06-26-2002, 10:04 AM   #2
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

We'll trade NVE and our #55 for Kurt Thomas and Charlie Ward
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 10:19 AM   #3
Base Line Guy
Golden Member

Base Line Guy is on a distinguished road

I agree with MADAPE about NVE and KT. Good move to me, I just hope they try ever angle for that no.7 pick. Also, I think we are in talks with Dairy Queen. They want to aquire a 7+ footer for their dive in window somewhere in North Dallas and Marko has often said he enjoys a tasty treat from time to time. This is a NO-BRAINER! We make this trade before the draft is over.....SB for a Heath Flavored Blizzard. Not sure how this works with REALGM, but at least they have the same value.

BLG
Old 06-26-2002, 10:19 AM   #4
Nellie
Golden Member

<< We'll trade NVE and our #55 for Kurt Thomas and Charlie Ward >>

I keep hearing that Thomas is involved in a deal with Seattle. Who knows.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:23 AM   #5
mick

mick is on a distinguished road

Just listened to Nellie on Norm's show,says they aren't doing anything but sitting tight.

Here's my prediction: They get Nets pick at 24 (either buy or trade this year's and next year's #2, probably buy it).

At #24 they take Scola. He gives them what Thomas would bring without health problems.

At #55 they take Stojic. Stays in Europe, back up SG/SF for the future. Or, at #55 they take Chris Owens.

Nick the Quick is still a Mav after tonight. They will see what can be done if FA in July before entertaining any trades for NVE.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 10:24 AM   #6
Nellie
Golden Member

<< I think we are in talks with Dairy Queen. They want to aquire a 7+ footer for their dive in window somewhere in North Dallas and Marko has often said he enjoys a tasty treat from time to time. This is a NO-BRAINER! We make this trade before the draft is over.....SB for a Heath Flavored Blizzard.

BLG
>>

I say Bradley for a 10 blizzards, 5 dipped cones, 3 ice cream sandwiches, and at least a couple of country baskets.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:35 AM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

for the record, thomas has played in all but 7 games the past three years...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 10:37 AM   #8
Nellie
Golden Member

<< for the record, thomas has played in all but 7 games the past three years... >>

Hey Murph. How is the boycott going?

Any predictions for tonight?
Old 06-26-2002, 10:38 AM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

SB for a Heath Flavored Blizzard. Not sure how this works with REALGM, but at least they have the same value.

hahaha
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 10:44 AM   #10
Base Line Guy
Golden Member

Base Line Guy is on a distinguished road

How is that boycott working out murph?

Nellie, I think you are over rating Mantis by A LOT! 1 regular sized Health Blizzard is all I'm offering if I'm DQ. No baskets, no cones, no nothin.

BLG
Old 06-26-2002, 10:49 AM   #11
Nellie
Golden Member

<< Nellie, I think you are over rating Mantis by A LOT! 1 regular sized Health Blizzard is all I'm offering if I'm DQ. No baskets, no cones, no nothin.

BLG
>>

Oh definitely. No problem in starting high though, I actualy like their food.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:52 AM   #12
Nellie
Golden Member

<< Here's my prediction: They get Nets pick at 24 (either buy or trade this year's and next year's #2, probably buy it).

At #24 they take Scola. He gives them what Thomas would bring without health problems.
>>

Why would they want the guaranteed contract for a guy that probably won't contribute now? (I'm not arguing with you, just asking motivational questions)

Old 06-26-2002, 11:09 AM   #13
mick

<<

<< Here's my prediction: They get Nets pick at 24 (either buy or trade this year's and next year's #2, probably buy it).

>>

Why would they want the guaranteed contract for a guy that probably won't contribute now? (I'm not arguing with you, just asking motivational questions)
>>

Basing my prediction on Donnie's comments yesterday no how much he liked him.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:11 AM   #14
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

If New Orleans gave up ther 17th pick for a Courtney Alexander who still hasnt found his game yet u mean we cant get a top 10 pick out of NVE? I was just curious. If Mavs are gonna trade NVE they should try to occur a pick from Caviliers or the Clippers. They both dont want any picks.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 11:16 AM   #15
mick

<< If New Orleans gave up ther 17th pick for a Courtney Alexander who still hasnt found his game yet u mean we cant get a top 10 pick out of NVE? I was just curious. If Mavs are gonna trade NVE they should try to occur a pick from Caviliers or the Clippers. They both dont want any picks. >>

Still that 'ol cap thing to deal with, we need to take back about $10 million in contracts. I think if we do trade Nick, it will be for proven player(s) with similar size contracts. Guys like Big Dog, Brian Grant, etc. have contracts inthat range. Not saying that a trade would be made for either of them, just the contracts match.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:20 AM   #16
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

We'll trade NVE and our #55 for Kurt Thomas and Charlie Ward

The more I think about this, it would be great but would the Knicks really do this. They would do it to get rid of Ward's contract, but Thomas really was one of their ONLY bright spots last year. I would assume New York would try to figure a way to throw in Harrington or Witherspoon instead. Depending on who they draft, I wouldn't be surprised to see them try and dump Camby either to be honest.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:24 AM   #17
Nellie
Golden Member

<< Still that 'ol cap thing to deal with, we need to take back about $10 million in contracts. I think if we do trade Nick, it will be for proven player(s) with similar size contracts. Guys like Big Dog, Brian Grant, etc. have contracts inthat range. Not saying that a trade would be made for either of them, just the contracts match. >>

What is the difference between Alexander's contract and NVE's? The Hornets obviously didn't have to take back any cash to do the deal so what causes NVE's contract to be different? Does it have something to do with the amount of the salaries? I don't have a full understanding of CBA in this area.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:29 AM   #18
Nellie
Golden Member

<< Basing my prediction on Donnie's comments yesterday no how much he liked him. >>

Makes sense. The only thing I worry about though is that just because Donnie likes him doesn't mean Nellie will play him. Therefore I would hope that we wouldn't trade anything more than cash to get into the 1st round.
Old 06-26-2002, 12:04 PM   #19
mick

<<

<< Still that 'ol cap thing to deal with, we need to take back about $10 million in contracts. I think if we do trade Nick, it will be for proven player(s) with similar size contracts. Guys like Big Dog, Brian Grant, etc. have contracts inthat range. Not saying that a trade would be made for either of them, just the contracts match. >>

What is the difference between Alexander's contract and NVE's? The Hornets obviously didn't have to take back any cash to do the deal so what causes NVE's contract to be different? Does it have something to do with the amount of the salaries? I don't have a full understanding of CBA in this area.
>>

Alexander doesn't make that much yet, since he still in his frist contract. Also, I heard something about Hornets had enough cap space to take on the contract when the trade was announced.
Old 06-26-2002, 01:29 PM   #20
Stressboy91

Stressboy91 is on a distinguished road

I predict that the target of all of Dallas' maneuvers is really Jiri Welsch and that the Van Excel trade is contingent upon them getting a 14-20 pick to get him. It makes a lot of sense that we would want to add a big point who can defend and also play some 2 if we are moving NVE. Then again there has been no mention of the kid by any of the Nellies or even questions posed to them about him so there you go.

Stressboy
Stressboy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 04:13 PM   #21
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I heard on the radio that the Clips are drafting for an &quot;unspecified team&quot;. Dan Patrick show stuff. I think we will see a lot of trades announced as the draft goes on like we did when we got Dirk.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 06:13 PM   #22
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

<< We'll trade NVE and our #55 for Kurt Thomas and Charlie Ward >>

I think NVE makes $11 million and Thomas makes $4.something million and Ward makes $5.something million. What I'm saying is, NVE makes more than those two together so if anyone throws something in to the trade, it's NY.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 07:28 PM   #23
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Is there any talk of a Mavs-Kiki deal for Nene?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote