Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-24-2004, 09:32 AM   #1
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hariss Ajusts to Life as a Rookie

Posted: Oct. 23, 2004
NBA Beat
Tom Enlund

Harris adjusts to life as rookie in Dallas

Dallas Mavericks rookie point guard Devin Harris has heard the one-liner from coach Don Nelson several times, and expects that he'll be hearing many more times down the road. In talking about his prized rookie, Nelson volunteers his opinion on why Harris decided to attend the University of Wisconsin after coming out of Wauwatosa East High School.

"He went to Wisconsin because he couldn't get into Iowa," said Nelson, a former Hawkeye.

Last week, before the Mavericks played the Milwaukee Bucks in an exhibition game in Dallas, Harris just rolled his eyes and shook his head when asked about Nelson's attempt at humor. "That's the line of the year, I guess," he said. "But you have to understand, we never lost to Iowa, so I don't how know smart of a school they can be."

It should come as no surprise that Nelson should be poking fun at Harris, since he has never had much use for rookies. In Nelson's eyes, rookies are an inconvenience that only cost their team games until they learn their way around the league. Harris admitted that Nelson did ride him pretty hard at times, but understood what the coach was trying to do.

"He challenges me in the right way," said Harris. Nelson isn't the only one among the Mavericks who tries to make Harris' life in the NBA a bit more challenging. Fellow Badger Michael Finley puts Harris through the most hazing. "Mike gets on me every once in a while," said Harris. "He probably takes advantage of me more than anybody. You know, doughnuts in the morning and get this and get that. But it's not too bad."

Despite the abuse, Harris looked right at home sitting at his dressing stall that comes complete with a TV, stereo system, and DVD player, all compliments of owner Mark Cuban. "M.C is the best," said Harris. "We haven't seen him that much. He shows up every once in awhile in practice. But he treats us first class."

Harris has been everything and probably more than the Mavericks expected when they obtained him in a draft-night trade with Washington after the Wizards made him the fifth overall pick. Harris has made his share of rookie mistakes but is fitting in seamlessly as a backup to starting point guard Jason Terry. Nelson says Harris will not be a starter this season but he has high hopes for him in the future.

The pro game has been everything that Harris expected it to be.

"It's a lot faster pace, but it's like everything you see on TV," he said. "You just have to execute. It's about execution and being in the right place at the right time."

On the wagon

Los Angeles Lakers coach Rudy Tomjanovich,back in coaching a year earlier than he had intended after a bout with bladder cancer, is closely monitoring his lifestyle. Tomjanovich had planned to take two years off after leaving the Houston Rockets in 2003, but he succeeded Phil Jackson with the Lakers this summer after being declared cancer free. Tomjanovich doesn't drink or smoke anymore and is being careful not to overwork himself. He noted that during training camp in San Diego he went to bed four straight nights before midnight. "I haven't done that in a decade," he said.

Luck of the Irish

Indiana Pacers president Larry Bird is among those who will be keeping a close eye on baseball's World Series. Bird is a Boston Red Sox fan after having played with the Celtics for so long, and the St. Louis Cardinals were his favorite team as a kid in Indiana because he could tune in their games on the radio. Bird doesn't put any stock in the supposed curse that has kept the Red Sox from winning the World Series since 1918. "I do believe in the Leprechaun, though," he said, a reference to the Celtics logo.

Lousy whistles

Cleveland Cavaliers coach Paul Silas, like so many others in the league, does not care for the way games are being tightly officiated this season. "It's prolonging the game with more free throws," said Silas after watching 179 free-throw attempts in his team's first two exhibition games. "We were in St. Louis the other night and you heard fans going, 'We came to watch them play - let them play.' "They never consult the coaches on this stuff. . . . Normally guys adapt, but it's a god-awful game right now."

And furthermore

San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich got on referee Rodney Mott after an offensive foul was called against Spurs rookie Valter Monteiro midway through the second period of a game against New York. "Come on Rodney, he's from Portugal, give him a break," yelled Popovich from the bench. "He's going home after the game." Monteiro was, in fact, cut after the game. "This was sort of the Valter Monteiro memorial game," said Popovich.

Naming rights

Dwyane Wade has officially "arrived" in Miami now that Shaquille O'Neal has given him a nickname.
O'Neal has christened Wade "Flash" because of how fast he gets up and down the floor. Wade says he's never had an official nickname other than "D-Wade" and has no plans to get any sort of Flash tattoo to go along the Superman tattoo O'Neal sports. "Flash and Superman are going to do some damage," said O'Neal.

Can't beat that

It probably should have come as no surprise when clutch foul shots down the stretch by Kyle Korver helped Philadelphia beat the Raptors in an exhibition game in Toronto. At shooting practice the previous day, Korver and Glenn Robinson engaged in a 100-shot free-throw contest. Robinson dropped in 95, but Korver sank all 100. "That's never happened to me," said Robinson. "I made 95. I'll take that as a win."

Riding the Zamboni

Believe it or not, the Raptors' final roster may depend on what is going on with the National Hockey League lockout.
The Raptors and Toronto Maple Leafs are both owned by Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, and if ownership is losing too much money on the hockey lockout, it might not allow Raptors general manager Rob Babcock to keep a full complement of 15 players (including those on the injured list). "If they say you can carry 15, I think we should carry 15," said coach Sam Mitchell.

Counting his miles

Minnesota coach Flip Saunders had this to say about center Ervin Johnson,who was healthy but didn't play in the first four exhibition games: "I kid him. I say he's like one of those tires that's got a warranty. He's only got so many miles. We can't waste those miles going to the convenience store."

Fast breaks

O'Neal is settling into his 20,000-square-foot Miami home on Star Island that was formerly owned by ex-Heat player Rony Seikaly. . . .
San Antonio's Tim Duncan on his Olympic experience: "I love the NBA's refs; I will never talk bad about them ever again." . . .
Portland coach Maurice Cheeks on Trail Blazers center Joel Przybilla: " I love the guy, absolutely love him."

Text

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links