Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-25-2004, 10:26 PM   #1
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light
Default Stack Fact

did you know Stack is a career .409 shooter from the feild, man that is bad. Walker was .414 to throw things into percpective. I hope he blends in instead of trying to prove he is still the man when he is out there on the floor. I am really scared that we have to many scorers, not enough pure shooters and no one to distribute the ball. We seem like the one on one Mavs. But maybe I'm just trippen. Damn thats a bad fg %.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:43 PM   #2
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future
Default RE: Stack Fact

Stackhouse gets to the line and makes FTs....walker doesn't
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 10:54 PM   #3
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Stack Fact

I'd be concerned with our long-range shooting (other than Dirk and Finley), but I wouldnt be concerned with passing the ball. Terry, Stackhouse, and Finley are all competent play makers and Harris is coming into his own, and I really wouldn't underestimate Terry like you are. Statements like,

Quote:
"I am really scared that we have... no one to distribute the ball"
will bite you in the butt when Terry and Harris get comfortable.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 11:03 PM   #4
GoMavsGo

GoMavsGo is on a distinguished road

stackhouse comes off the bench, walker didnt
GoMavsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 11:12 PM   #5
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

plus stack wont be the focal point here like he was at his other teams and as long as he can accept that Dirk is the man, he will be successful with his role.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:19 PM   #6
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Walker came in averaging 39.1% the two seasons before he was traded and successfully improved his % to a very reasonable 42.8% here. Stackhouse comes in averaging 40.7% after a season of injury. If he improves the same amount as Walker did when coming to the Mavs, then we could expect that he would shoot 44.4%, which is exactly what Finley shot last season.

Of merit is his ability to get to the freethrow line. Stackhouse shoots them better and more often than Walker. He also has shot more freethrows than 3s, which is not the case with Walker.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:10 AM   #7
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

It's insulting to Stack to compare him to Walker. For his career he's a slightly more efficient scorer than Jamison was when AJ came to the Mavs. He's that good at getting to the free throw line and converting when he gets there. Gotta look at all the scoring stats with him to get the full picture.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:29 AM   #8
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

ok, just thought i would point it out. Last year he shot under .400 with injuries and such. But, hell if he taes it to the hoop hard who cares right.... i would like to point out though, missed shots that are a result of a foul doesn't go into the fg%. I just hope Nellie doesn't give him the green light to settle for jumpers like he has with my man findawg.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:38 AM   #9
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Is this "your man" Michael Finley?

http://mfinley.com/tumor/hole-valentines.htm
Old 10-26-2004, 02:47 AM   #10
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

oopps, as always Erica you never cease to amaze me with your strange sense of humor and biting comments [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2004, 03:10 AM   #11
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

you must be joking because it wasnt that funny, but it made me chuckle. Weird search engine gave me that Michael Finley when I was trying to find the name of Finley's wife.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:30 AM   #12
Steve13

Steve13 will become famous soon enoughSteve13 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: FineCubanCigar
did you know Stack is a career .409 shooter from the feild, man that is bad. Walker was .414 to throw things into percpective. I hope he blends in instead of trying to prove he is still the man when he is out there on the floor. I am really scared that we have to many scorers, not enough pure shooters and no one to distribute the ball. We seem like the one on one Mavs. But maybe I'm just trippen. Damn thats a bad fg %.
big difference, Stack is a guard. These days for a guard to shoot around 40%..It isn'[t that bad. Mcgrady is at around 44, AI 41, Pierce 41, Kobe 45

so its not really a big difference

As mentioned Stack gets to the line so much and makes them.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:24 AM   #13
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Stack is always injured. At least Walker stays on the floor. Although sometimes it might have been better if Walker had been injured.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 09:43 AM   #14
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

stack wasn't injured when he put 29 ppg for a whole year...
Old 10-26-2004, 09:47 AM   #15
Eman

Eman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to all

look, that 40% combines two pointers and three pointers. A 3 pointer at 33% is the same as a two at 50%!!!! So you need more info, like how many 3 pointers he attempted, to decide whether 40% is a really good field goal percentage or bad.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 09:53 AM   #16
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: endtroducing
Walker will play twice as many games as Stackhouse this year. It wouldn't be suprising to see Stack play about 20-30 games this season. How can someone be out for multiple games with a thigh bruise? The guy is a pu**.

Old 10-26-2004, 09:59 AM   #17
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I have been surprised how much love Stack has gotten on this board.

Further, I am concerned by Stack's shooting efficiency. His poor shooting ability cannot be excused merely because he gets to the line. His points per shot (which takes into consideration trips to the line) is poor.

Last three years:
Stack: 1.02
Fin: 1.08
Dirk 1..14

Not terribly efficient.

I have some other issues with his game too. He is not a good distributor. Average assist numbers, and awful turnover numbers. His turnovers actually are worse than Walker, and his assists fewer. He also is at best an average rebounder at the 2, put him at the three, and he is miserable.

Overall, I look at Stack, and I don't like what I see. Perhaps being here, he will reign in his game. Then again I thought that would happen last year with Walker. Thankfully he is only the 6th man.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 10:16 AM   #18
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

stack has never been a shooter, but has always been a wonderful scorer...this info is nothing new.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 10:17 AM   #19
Steve13

Steve13 will become famous soon enoughSteve13 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bookit
Quote:
Walker will play twice as many games as Stackhouse this year. It wouldn't be suprising to see Stack play about 20-30 games this season. How can someone be out for multiple games with a thigh bruise? The guy is a pu**.
for godsake, one season due to injury makes him injury prone and will only play 20 games? lol he will play off the bench .he won't miss many games
Old 10-26-2004, 12:16 PM   #20
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Walker will prove once again this year that any plyaer should be thrilled to be compared to him. Walker is a three time all-star, every night triple double threat, and playoff leader. Stack will be a great player for us, but it is far from an insult to compare his game to Antoine Walker's.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 12:21 PM   #21
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

It is a shame and a sham that Walker has been an All-Star 3 times. Dear Lord, the East was weak.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 12:32 PM   #22
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Walk's game is the epitome of empty numbers...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 10-26-2004, 12:34 PM   #23
Bookit
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Steve13
Quote:
Originally posted by: Bookit
Quote:
for godsake, one season due to injury makes him injury prone and will only play 20 games? lol he will play off the bench .he won't miss many games
Please re-read my post. I didn't say that Stack would play 20 games. I said it wouldn't be surprising if Stack only played 20-30 games this season. He could play more but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he doesn't. He was injured all of last season and his knees haven't improved that much. And the guy is missing games because of a thigh bruise! Come on. The Mavs cannot count on him to play every night.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:36 PM   #24
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Do I really need to point out that Stackhouse has spent his whole career in the Eastern Conference? And I don't care how weak the conference was, when you put up stats like Walker has - specifically around 20 points, 9 boards and 5 assists a game.. that's impressive. And well worth the all-star appearances. There aren't many players in the league who can fill up a stat sheet like that. Dirk certainly can't... at least not in the assists category. That's not to say that Walker is a better player than Dirk. I think Dirk is better. But they are both among the top twenty or thirty players in the leage. They are both top ten power forwards in this league. Both have proven that not only can they fill up the stat sheet, they can also take their teams far into the playoffs. I don't know why you think it's a "shame" that Walker has been to the all-star game. I think it's a god damned foolish thing to say. I think it reeks of a guy who has a personal vendetta against a man who did nothing but try to help us win.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:38 PM   #25
sike
The Preacha

Its certainly fair to say that in the East, Walk is/was an all star.

Old 10-26-2004, 12:43 PM   #26
madape
Diamond Member

We traded away or let go for nothing, three players this off-season who have a very good chance of being all-stars next year. How many all-stars did we get back? zero. How many are on this team now? Just one by my book.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:47 PM   #27
madape
Diamond Member

Old 10-26-2004, 12:50 PM   #28
sike
The Preacha

how many all stars did the Pistons have?
Stackhouse is a former all-star, Damp was a near all star last year, Terry has been a near all-star(like Jamison) for a few years now, Harris will be an all star within three years, Daniels or Howard would be near all stars in the East on a team like.....oh I don't know, Atlanta for example.
Nash is the only guy who has been an all star in the West. Walker and Jamison(who I both respect) not so much.

Old 10-26-2004, 01:02 PM   #29
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

what's with the nauseating stackhouse hype? this guy sucks..he is antoine walker in a shooting guard's body..unless finley is benched for the last 5 mins of every game and stack gets to the line, he is useless..and we all know how much don nelson loves finley

stackhouse shoots 40% from the field..the year he led the league in scoring, he shot 9/24 from the field on average..give me a break..i'd rather have allen iverson who is a better playmaker, gets to the line and shoots just as bad
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 01:16 PM   #30
fifteenth man

fifteenth man is on a distinguished road

I didn't enjoy this thread.

"We gave up Walker and Jamison for notherin", "Stackhouse sucks", "Stack can't distribut or rebound", "Stack's going to be injured anyway", "Walker is a top ten PF"....

What a bunch of crap.

If you want to know why people don't like Walker, take your eyes off the stat sheet and watch him play.

I don't know how Stack is going to do here, but his assist numbers and rebound numbers are pretty good for a 2 guard. And his scoring efficiency, while not being Dirk like, is as good as a lot players who are playing major roles around the league.

I don't feel like going back over the trades. If you personally feel like we go nothing in those trades then think what you want.
fifteenth man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 01:32 PM   #31
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

What is with all the ripping on Stack for being out with a thigh bruise?

There are all levels of bruises. You guys dont know, and I dont know, what severity of "bruise" he has, but i suspect it is quite a bit more than the random "colored puffy skin" thing you and I got from doing something stupid growing up.

As a case in point, as to how severe a "bruise" can be, recall what happened to Bill Guerin of the Stars. He got a bad bruise in his thigh. How bad? He almost died from it. He almost had his leg amputated. He missed a major portion of a season. His career was seriously in doubt.

From a layman's viewpoint, a bruise is technically where you get something injured under the skins, and there is bleeding and stuff. That can be bad, not minor.

Stack is not a slacker and has always played major minutes except for one year where he got a bad injury. So the bagging on him for this injury is unfounded. Besides, it is preseason, now is the time to sit and heal as quickly as possible, rather than play through an injury. With Daniels and Finley and Howard all nicked up, Stack's presence will be badly needed when the season starts.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 01:40 PM   #32
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Do I really need to point out that Stackhouse has spent his whole career in the Eastern Conference? And I don't care how weak the conference was, when you put up stats like Walker has - specifically around 20 points, 9 boards and 5 assists a game.. that's impressive. And well worth the all-star appearances. There aren't many players in the league who can fill up a stat sheet like that. Dirk certainly can't... at least not in the assists category. That's not to say that Walker is a better player than Dirk. I think Dirk is better. But they are both among the top twenty or thirty players in the leage. They are both top ten power forwards in this league. Both have proven that not only can they fill up the stat sheet, they can also take their teams far into the playoffs. I don't know why you think it's a "shame" that Walker has been to the all-star game. I think it's a god damned foolish thing to say. I think it reeks of a guy who has a personal vendetta against a man who did nothing but try to help us win.
Yeah, Walker can fill up a stat sheet...don't forget the turnovers and poor shooting percentages from virtually everywhere on the court. But, I think he did make more than 34.5% of his three pointers twice in his career. How many times has he made less than 30% of his three pointers? Twice.
How many times has he hit more than 43% of his field goals?

Yes, he has approached a 20 point, 9 board, 5 assist and 4 turnover season while shooting the ball poorly. Good for Walker. I don't think I said that he sucked...just that it's a shame that he's a three time all-star.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 01:51 PM   #33
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
It's insulting to Stack to compare him to Walker. For his career he's a slightly more efficient scorer than Jamison was when AJ came to the Mavs. He's that good at getting to the free throw line and converting when he gets there. Gotta look at all the scoring stats with him to get the full picture.
You got that right.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 01:55 PM   #34
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

sry double post
Old 10-26-2004, 01:55 PM   #35
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

last year was the only year .447 from the feild. He only shot above 34.5% in 3 pointers in 1998-1999 when he shot .369%
Stack is career .302% behind the arc and has attempted 2261 times: in comparison Walker career .332% and attempted 2787. Stack shoots it almost as much as Walker from behind the arc!!!!!!!!! and is WORSE. I know stack is a year older, but Stack also sat out a whole year last year as Walker jacked up 3's here in dallas.