Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-24-2004, 01:02 AM   #1
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mavs rookie badgers Bucks in 91-89 win

you can look if you want...but you'll feel dirty

Quote:
Mavs rookie badgers Bucks in 91-89 win
11:53 PM CDT on Saturday, October 23, 2004
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
MILWAUKEE – It's always a homecoming when the Mavericks visit these parts, but never more so than Saturday night.

DARREN HAUCK/AP
Mavericks guard Devin Harris (left), a former Wisconsin Badger, was greeted by Milwaukee fans with frequent cheers. Don Nelson coached the Milwaukee Bucks for 11 seasons and Del Harris led the franchise for four years. Michael Finley still gets a warm reception after his career at the University of Wisconsin.

Devin Harris is fresher in the minds of the locals. A year ago, he was starting his junior season at UW. He went to high school in Milwaukee and had a flock of reporters around him before and after the Mavericks' 91-89 preseason win over the Bucks. In between, he put on a pretty decent show.

The point guard was made a starter for his trip back home and he had a sizeable cheering section of family and friends. He brought them to their feet midway through the third quarter when he stripped Keith Van Horn and went uncontested for a slam. He finished with 20 points, five assists and five steals. But that wasn't the highlight of his stay.

"The first thing I did was go home and get some of mama's cooking," Harris said. "Hotel food isn't where it's at."

Harris' growth is a joy for the Mavericks' coaching staff. They knew he was good when he was drafted, but he's surpassed expectations.

"He couldn't have played for a better coach [UW's Bo Ryan] to be NBA ready," Nelson said. "He was about as ready as you can be."

Harris' play in the preseason arguably has been on par with projected starter Jason Terry. It's too early for any "quarterback controversy," although Harris clearly is the Mavericks' point guard of the future.

"He doesn't surprise me at all anymore," Nelson said. "We think he can be really special as a scorer and a distributor."

For one night, Harris was the Mavericks' focal point. It may not be long before it happens on a regular basis.

Eschmeyer retires: Evan Eschmeyer announced his retirement on Saturday, with chronic knee problems finally getting the best of him.

"I'm proud that I would dive for every loose ball and work hard on every play, but at some point, that all catches up with you," the 6-11 center said. "Only one thing could make me walk away from the game and that's if I just physically can't do it anymore. After four knee surgeries in the last two years, it became apparent that my body wasn't responding."

The Mavericks restructured the remaining three seasons on Eschmeyer's contract, valued at $10.2 million ($3.1 million this season). He will come off the team's salary cap after this season.

In four seasons, Eschmeyer averaged 2.8 points and 3.9 rebounds. He had not played since the 2002-03 season.

Eschmeyer's new passion will be in the political arena. He is going to volunteer for John Kerry's presidential campaign, doing organizational work and public speaking on the democrat's behalf.

Briefly: The Mavericks were rebuffed by Jeryl Sasser, who apparently is on the cusp of signing with another team. Instead, they were expected to sign Felipe Lopez, an NBA journeyman who is expected to join the team in New York today ... Dirk Nowitzki rejoined the team after going home to Germany for his grandmother's funeral. But he could not play because of a stomach flu ... Devin Harris was asked if he has any torn emotions about the Green Bay Packers playing the Cowboys today. "Come on, I'm a Wisconsin boy," he said. "Go Pack."
he can play the game....no doubt. four years and he'll be an all star.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2004, 01:10 AM   #2
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Mavs rookie badgers Bucks in 91-89 win

Quote:
For one night, Harris was the Mavericks' focal point. It may not be long before it happens on a regular basis.
can we please have a few years of Dirk being the "focal point" before some dork starts giving it away to a rook?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 02:19 PM   #3
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Briefly: The Mavericks were rebuffed by Jeryl Sasser, who apparently is on the cusp of signing with another team. Instead, they were expected to sign Felipe Lopez, an NBA journeyman who is expected to join the team in New York today.
Anymore on this?
Old 10-24-2004, 05:02 PM   #4
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

ya, they both suck