Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 06-30-2008, 07:29 AM   #1
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future
Default Maggette

Lots of rumors about Corey Maggette, and none of them involve the Mavs! Apparenly he wants to go back to the Magic, and other teams are interested in his service. Looks like we're just going to quietly let another one slip from under us (although in this case he probably wouldn't choose us anyway)

Quote:
Los Angeles Clippers guard Corey Maggette told friends over the weekend that he was encouraging the Orlando Magic to make a competitive offer in free agency, allowing him to return to the team where he started his NBA career nine years ago. Maggette, 28, averaged 22.1 points last season for the Clippers, where he has spent the last eight seasons as a shooting guard/small forward. Orlando Sentinel
Quote:
Maggette has until today to opt out of the final year of his contract for $7 million and become an unrestricted free agent Tuesday. Under salary-cap rules, the Magic have only the middle-class exception of $5.8 million to offer him in the first year of a deal. The Magic could build a five-year deal worth close to $40 million. "I think he'd come back in a heartbeat," said a Maggette friend who is close to both the player and the Magic organization. "It's something he'd love to see happen." Orlando Sentinel
Quote:
The Clippers are the other team that could have space if they do not re-sign unrestricted free agent Corey Maggette. Maggette exercised his early termination option in his contract, leaving the Clippers about $10 million under the cap if they choose not to re-sign him. A few other teams -- the Wizards, Bobcats, Sonics and Bulls -- could conceivably get some cap room, but for it to happen they'd have to let their major free agents walk. ESPN.com
We may as well forget about Maggette, and everything just seems to be pointing to the same team returning with maybe Diop back. We can only hope it was Avery holding us back. Looks like we may find out.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2008, 10:05 AM   #2
bgarrett
Banned

bgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the rough

There are other options out there, but Maggette was first on my wishlist!
bgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:29 AM   #3
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

I would've liked Maggette, but it's not really that big a deal. He's not a winner to me.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:32 AM   #4
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

If we keep Josh, then he pretty much has to be our "slasher" - we'll need a shooter/defender at the 2...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

How do the Magic still have money lol

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:12 AM   #6
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

If the Magic are only offering the MLE, we have to at least make a smilar offer to him. We could guarantee a starting spot and the same money he'd get from the Magic.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:18 AM   #7
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

According to the OP, the Magic can offer him 5 years @ 40 million.

Contact Me
Old 06-30-2008, 11:20 AM   #8
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
According to the OP, the Magic can offer him 5 years @ 40 million.
It's a bit confusing, but I think the article suggests that the MLE is 5 years @ 40 million.

"Under salary-cap rules, the Magic have only the middle-class exception of $5.8 million to offer him in the first year of a deal. The Magic could build a five-year deal worth close to $40 million."

5.8 plus raises over 5 years might add up to 40 million.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:20 AM   #9
bgarrett
Banned

bgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the rough

And they can also offer him starting SG!
Old 06-30-2008, 11:27 AM   #10
alby
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarrett
And they can also offer him starting SG!
He would be the starting SG in Dallas as well.

Not sure why Orlando would pursue him though because a lineup of:
Nelson
Maggette
Lewis
Hedo
Dwight
is kind of quirky since Hedo would be playing PF. (yes, I know he's 6' 10", but he's a bonafide guard in a forwards body). But, then again--that would be a problem most teams would love to have. That's a downright scary offensive lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger
It's a bit confusing, but I think the article suggests that the MLE is 5 years @ 40 million.

"Under salary-cap rules, the Magic have only the middle-class exception of $5.8 million to offer him in the first year of a deal. The Magic could build a five-year deal worth close to $40 million."

5.8 plus raises over 5 years might add up to 40 million.
if that is the case, there should be NO reason for Dallas not to at least offer the same thing.

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 06-30-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:07 PM   #11
bgarrett
Banned

Yah I only said that Orlando would offer him starting SG too because of Strangers post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger
If the Magic are only offering the MLE, we have to at least make a smilar offer to him. We could guarantee a starting spot and the same money he'd get from the Magic.

Wouldn't it seem more logical for Orlando to start Lewis who is 6'10" as well at PF? I thought thats what happened last year because of Hedo's slashing and creating off dribble.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:08 PM   #12
alby
Guru

Hedo and Lewis may be the softest 6' 10" tandems in the league =]

With that being said, boy can they shoot or what.

Contact Me
Old 06-30-2008, 12:29 PM   #13
bgarrett
Banned

yeah for real. I thought lewis would have been labeled a highflyer by now and have established a low post presence slightly similar to Jamison with the quicknes and finess.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:09 PM   #14
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

It has almost always been certain that Magette wasn't coming to the dallas mavericks ever since the botched trade rumors of Magette for Terry early last season. That being said, I'm almost relieved that he is not following the trend to sign on with a contender in the loaded up west. There needs to be balance in power in the west and if he agrees to take the MLE from a team, I'm very relieved it is not for the Lakers or the Suns. By the way Tyronne lue might sign with the Suns. Scandalous..

The good Ol days : Click
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:11 PM   #15
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

yeah i saw this too on fox sports rumors...sad..so sad.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:24 PM   #16
bgarrett
Banned

Lue sucks, a slight step up from JJB... Good let him roll out and take EJ and DGeorge with him!! Anywhere..
Old 06-30-2008, 01:58 PM   #17
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

We were never in the Corey Maggette race...
Old 06-30-2008, 02:01 PM   #18
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

We can dream right?
Old 06-30-2008, 02:07 PM   #19
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hedo and Lewis may be the softest 6' 10" tandems in the league =]

With that being said, boy can they shoot or what.
That's why Maggette can be HUGE for them, they need the variance, like we do. Those guys are shooters primarily, so a slasher as good as Maggette will really add a lot to their lineup.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:00 PM   #20
alby
Guru

If you watched Maggette the last few years, he settles for a lot of jumpers as well. Yes, his FT attempts are nice and is a great indication of how aggressive he is... but I'm just saying, watch the Clipper games with more depth and you'll see a guy who sometimes plays like Josh Howard, which would undoubtedly be very maddening if we broke the bank for him.

However, Maggette playing alongside Kidd is a totally different story...

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 06-30-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:17 PM   #21
bgarrett
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9
That's why Maggette can be HUGE for them, they need the variance, like we do. Those guys are shooters primarily, so a slasher as good as Maggette will really add a lot to their lineup.

I tend to agree BUT HEDO does a hell of a job lately as slashing and creating, really surprised me this season and especially postseason...
Old 06-30-2008, 04:58 PM   #22
BGMaverick9
Guru

his decision making in the clutch definitely didn't impress me, lol.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:35 PM   #23
mbaur

mbaur will become famous soon enough

Brand and Maggette habe sign out! They wouldn't play as longer on LAC! Also Baron Davis has sign out!

Now Mavs, get the chance!!!!!

Monster trade is possible now! Brand/Maggette sign for sign and trade by the LAC, Dump/Josh/Terry/Stack (28$+s.e.) for Kaman/Brand/Maggette!!!!

Kaman/Diop
Brand/Bass
Dirk/Bass/George
Maggette/Wrigth/Jones
Kidd/Lue/Barea

They got a ring!
mbaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:41 PM   #24
alby
Guru

Contact Me
Old 06-30-2008, 11:44 PM   #25
BGMaverick9
Guru

Dallas-Mavs.com: where crazy ass dream trades happen.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:52 PM   #26
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

How bout we just trade Howard and Terry for Kobe? That seems like it'd be a better idea.

While we're at it, I'd like to swap Stackhouse and Jones for 1997 Michael Jordan. Any takers?

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:54 PM   #27
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Damp for Bill Russell in the 60's. Get it done!
Old 07-01-2008, 12:20 AM   #28
bgarrett
Banned

WOW you guys are so unrealistic it's not even funny! WTF... PFFT

Howard and Terry for Kobe are you kidding me? That's straight retarded! Were gonna be getting ripped off bigtime. I would offer more like JJB and Maloire.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:23 AM   #29
alby
Guru

thread=ruined.

Contact Me
Old 07-01-2008, 12:27 AM   #30
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
thread=ruined.
yup
Old 07-01-2008, 12:34 AM   #31
bgarrett
Banned

Since there is no chance he is coming here, someone should obliterate this stupid thread. In a different way than the last 5 or 6 posters are trying to do! :P
Old 07-01-2008, 06:42 AM   #32
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaur
Brand and Maggette habe sign out! They wouldn't play as longer on LAC! Also Baron Davis has sign out!

Now Mavs, get the chance!!!!!

Monster trade is possible now! Brand/Maggette sign for sign and trade by the LAC, Dump/Josh/Terry/Stack (28$+s.e.) for Kaman/Brand/Maggette!!!!

Kaman/Diop
Brand/Bass
Dirk/Bass/George
Maggette/Wrigth/Jones
Kidd/Lue/Barea

They got a ring!
who's your dealer? the dreams of some people here are simply amazing
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:11 AM   #33
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

If you read about it, it won't happen. The Mavericks are hopefully pursuing all angles to improve the team.

There are at least a dozen Maggette clones. There aren't many Elton Brand types. He is the guy that solves all of the mavs problems. A Kidd, Dirk , Brand big three would be one of the best in the league. If the Mavericks aren't going to trade Howard all trades even for Maggette are probably all pipe dreams.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:18 AM   #34
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaur

Who's Dump? Is that Damp? That's what we should call Damp now, Dump.

Remember everybody Damp = Dump.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:25 AM   #35
bgarrett
Banned

" Kidd lobs to Dump for the Dunk" Email Mark Followill. He may use that if he's not too busy trying to fit in "have a Hot Carl" everytime we play Houston.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:28 AM   #36
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

With his contract, why haven't we been calling him Dump for the past few years???

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:36 AM   #37
alby
Guru

We called him Dump since he signed with us....

Contact Me
Old 07-01-2008, 11:49 AM   #38
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

When we got Damp, we took a big Dump.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:16 PM   #39
mbaur

mbaur will become famous soon enough

Sorry, but 10Mil for dampier = dump..
Ok, i am a fucking german and i was trunken, but why we coundn't dream.
Every night, i am dreaming about a Mavs roster like dump, dirk, josh, terry, kidd, stack with a salary over 100Mil. - and you called me dude??
mbaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:13 PM   #40
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

^ Excellent post.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote