Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 07-01-2008, 07:35 PM   #41
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

With LA using their cap space on Davis, we should swoop in right now and offer the full 40 million/5 years to Maggette. He may want Orlando, but they haven't made an offer and they may not want to give the full 5 years.

C'mon Cuban, you don't have to pay $20 million to Finley next year! Open up the wallet!
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #42
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

This means Maggette can't make above the MLE unless someone with cap space signs him. He can't even be signed and traded for above the MLE exception.

Man.....I would on a flight to his home right now to get on my knees and beg him to take the MLE for 5 years.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:59 PM   #43
bgarrett
Banned

bgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the rough

Does he have to take it for full 5 years? Or can it be a lesser length? Not sure how all that works.
bgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:00 PM   #44
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah he can take it for less. Maybe he would want it for three years to get back his Bird rights and sign a bigger deal.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 07-01-2008, 08:07 PM   #45
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, he could do 3 or 5, it just depends on how you balance out the money with the years.

Can someone give me a breakdown of how much money most of the active FA teams have to work with? If you can't, it's cool...just figured I'd ask.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:13 PM   #46
bgarrett
Banned

bgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the rough

So Cuban could ask him to sign for MLE for a year or two until someone (Kidd perhaps) drops off because then they could split that up and pay Maggette more? Kidd won't be paid near as much when/if resigned, at least not by us.
bgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:18 PM   #47
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarrett
So Cuban could ask him to sign for MLE for a year or two until someone (Kidd perhaps) drops off because then they could split that up and pay Maggette more? Kidd won't be paid near as much when/if resigned, at least not by us.
It would have to be at least three years, because he wouldn't get his Bird rights until then.

To BG's question, I don't know what the exact cap figure is, but assuming it's around 55 mil, the only teams that, according to HoopsHype, could offer more than the 6mil a year that the MLE offers is:

Seattle
Charlotte
Memphis
Philly
Golden State

Philly is supposedly hot after Josh Smith, and Golden State has several big restricted free agents so I don't know how much money they'll have left after those, but they have made a big offer to Arenas, so I would assume they have the space to go after Maggette.

So it's not a gurantee that he will have to settle for the MLE, but it's a whole lot more likely now.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-01-2008, 08:19 PM   #48
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the specifics I couldn't see anything of my first look for answers. I'm guessing Maggette will want to try again for a pay-day sooner rather than later. If he can take a one year deal with a successful team, or a team where he can get his numbers...then I would think that's his top option.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:21 PM   #49
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9
I don't know the specifics I couldn't see anything of my first look for answers. I'm guessing Maggette will want to try again for a pay-day sooner rather than later. If he can take a one year deal with a successful team, or a team where he can get his numbers...then I would think that's his top option.
Unless I'm mistaken, the only way for Maggette to get his Bird rights back is to sign a three year deal and wait until that deal is over.

So unless he thinks he can get big money from a team under the cap in the next few seasons, my guess is he'll be looking for a three year deal.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-01-2008, 08:21 PM   #50
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
To BG's question, I don't know what the exact cap figure is, but assuming it's around 55 mil, the only teams that, according to HoopsHype, could offer more than the 6mil a year that the MLE offers is:

Seattle
Charlotte
Memphis
Philly
Golden State
Thank you sir! I knew someone would dig it up for me. You can probably scratch the first three teams off the list. It'll still be those last two. If Josh doesn't work out for Philly, it would make sense to go after Maggette. I don't know if he makes sense with the Warriors, I could see Arenas making sense for the Baron hole. I think they'll stick with Ellis and work on keeping their guys.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:22 PM   #51
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

If Maggette wants to make more than 5.5 million next year, he has to join either the Sixers or the Grizzlies, since the other teams Thiggy listed have their own free agents and rookies to worry about. So, his options are extremely limited. He definitely can come back to the franchise where he started--because he knows A) the East is much easier and B) Dwight will be ruling the league for quite awhile. However, if he decides to join Dallas, he would be playing alongside Kidd (self explantory), Dirk, Howard, Terry, and others. If he wants to win, Dallas would be a great team to join because not only would we give him the chance to go for a championship but we would give him a starting job, no questions asked. In Orlando, you have two guys who play the same position in Lewis and Hedo. I know, there are ways where we can sign him to a deal so that he would be able to restructure his deal in a couple years for more money. Cuban, get on your jet and beg for this guy. This is our chance to not only keep up with the improving West, but to jump a couple teams as well.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84

Last edited by alby; 07-01-2008 at 08:24 PM.
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:22 PM   #52
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Unless I'm mistaken, the only way for Maggette to get his Bird rights back is to sign a three year deal and wait until that deal is over.

So unless he thinks he can get big money from a team under the cap in the next few seasons, my guess is he'll be looking for a three year deal.
Yeah, my only logic for that was he doesn't want to wait 3 years, he just wants to take a chance and make this a contract year all over again. With that said, you're probably right!
Old 07-01-2008, 08:25 PM   #53
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, my only logic for that was he doesn't want to wait 3 years, he just wants to take a chance and make this a contract year all over again. With that said, you're probably right!
But, thiggy is referring to the fact that even though he may want to get paid now, there aren't many teams out there who can in the first place, unless he wants to join the Grizzlies where Gay/Warrick play his position already... so that just leaves Philly and they still have to re-sign AI2 don't they?

Contact Me
Old 07-01-2008, 08:28 PM   #54
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
But, thiggy is referring to the fact that even though he may want to get paid now, there aren't many teams out there who can in the first place, unless he wants to join the Grizzlies where Gay/Warrick play his position already... so that just leaves Philly and they still have to re-sign AI2 don't they?
No, Philly space is legit, but they're going to be tied up with an offer to Josh Smith I think. And they don't really need Maggette.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-01-2008, 08:31 PM   #55
BGMaverick9
Guru

I'm sorry I'm not clarifying enough. My idea is if he's willing to bite the bullet now and take JUST the MLE right now, as opposed to the instant big payday from Mem or Sea or the teams he mentioned. Just take the 6 million now from a competing team or a team where the stats will look good for him for one year and just try it all over again next year. Just take the MLE for one year, with those team specifications and be unrestricted next year.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:36 PM   #56
alby
Guru

So now he has to decide, if he's going to take the 6 mil--which contender does he want to join?

Which contender gives him the best chance to win?
Which contender gives him an opportunity to showcase his talents?
The bottom line, which contender gives him the best chance to earn a big deal when the contract is up?

Contact Me
Old 07-01-2008, 08:40 PM   #57
BGMaverick9
Guru

That's exactly the logic I was taking with the one year/MLE deal.

you said it better alby, thank you.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:49 PM   #58
BGMaverick9
Guru

uh oh....

The Celtics have made contract offers to two forwards: Their own free agent, James Posey, and Clippers free agent Corey Maggette, sources told the Boston Globe. The most the Celtics could offer is the mid-level exception (about $5.8 million), and it's doubtful that they could sign both players. The terms of the offers were not disclosed.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:57 PM   #59
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Id be thrilled if we could get whichever one the Celtics dont.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:58 PM   #60
BGMaverick9
Guru

I think they're just trying to make a value move on Maggette and tell Posey, "hurry the F up, or don't let the door hit you on the way out."
Old 07-01-2008, 09:09 PM   #61
chosen_one8976

chosen_one8976 will become famous soon enoughchosen_one8976 will become famous soon enough

i seein everywhere that san anton is goin to sign maggette. if they do, god help us, cause the spurs will be favored to win it all again
Old 07-01-2008, 09:11 PM   #62
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Damnit, Corey!
Old 07-01-2008, 09:19 PM   #63
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This means Maggette can't make above the MLE unless someone with cap space signs him. He can't even be signed and traded for above the MLE exception.

Man.....I would on a flight to his home right now to get on my knees and beg him to take the MLE for 5 years.
I want to see some clarification on this. Maggette would have a cap hold of 150% of his last year's salary, the way I read Coon's FAQ. I don't know what he made last year. But it does look like the Clips have all kinds of room under the salary cap. (I mean, like 30MM or so). Baron at 5 for 65 probably starts him at 9 or so. Right? Someone needs to work out the math on this...
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:23 PM   #64
BGMaverick9
Guru

ESPN had his 2008 at an even 7 million.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #65
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

We aren't winning the Maggette lottery. We were never in the Maggette race in the first place.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:26 PM   #66
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
I want to see some clarification on this. Maggette would have a cap hold of 150% of his last year's salary, the way I read Coon's FAQ. I don't know what he made last year. But it does look like the Clips have all kinds of room under the salary cap. (I mean, like 30MM or so). Baron at 5 for 65 probably starts him at 9 or so. Right? Someone needs to work out the math on this...
I admit I don't know all the ends and outs of nba salaries, but if you look at the first post in this thread that I posted.

Quote:
The Clippers are the other team that could have space if they do not re-sign unrestricted free agent Corey Maggette. Maggette exercised his early termination option in his contract, leaving the Clippers about $10 million under the cap if they choose not to re-sign him. A few other teams -- the Wizards, Bobcats, Sonics and Bulls -- could conceivably get some cap room, but for it to happen they'd have to let their major free agents walk. ESPN.com
they were going to be $10 mil under before the Baron Davis signing without Maggette, which Baron Davis contract is about $11-$13 mil a year right? (5 for 65 is $11m/year) So aren't they over even without Maggette?

But dude every site talking about Davis to Clippers is saying the Clippers then can't resign Maggette, there's no reason to think that's not true.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 07-01-2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:58 PM   #67
BGMaverick9
Guru

You're in the race, you're not in the race, you think you're back in the race...and then

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns
Old 07-01-2008, 10:00 PM   #68
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You're in the race, you're not in the race, you think you're back in the race...and then

That would suck a lot - anyone but the Spurs...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:00 PM   #69
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:

That would really, really, really, really, really, really suck.

Really.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-01-2008, 10:03 PM   #70
BGMaverick9
Guru

Donnie: We're getting Gerald Green!!!

R.C. Buford: Well, we're getting Corey Maggette

Donnie: Mother (whispers)...
Old 07-01-2008, 10:05 PM   #71
alby
Guru

you got to be f'ing kidding me.

Contact Me
Old 07-01-2008, 10:06 PM   #72
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Sons of a bitch...
Old 07-01-2008, 10:07 PM   #73
alby
Guru

The Spurs do win it every other year don't they... "damn it! damn it to hell!"

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 07-01-2008 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:12 PM   #74
BGMaverick9
Guru

Parker/HIll
Maggette/Ginobili
Bowen/Udoka
Duncan
Thomas (resigned)

sheesh...
Old 07-01-2008, 10:13 PM   #75
alby
Guru

In a way, the Warriors (mostly, Baron) knocked us out again... if this deal to the Spurs goes through.

Contact Me
Old 07-01-2008, 10:17 PM   #76
alby
Guru

Members over at Spurstalk are talking about signing Maggette with the MLE and Diop with the LLE. If that happens, who wants to join me in jumping off Reunion Arena (yes, in memory of the great arena).

Contact Me
Old 07-01-2008, 10:21 PM   #77
BGMaverick9
Guru

Man they are greedy..
paraphrasing: "If we get Maggette, does that mean we'll lose Barry?" Geez lousie...
Then they talk about SnT'ing Barry
Old 07-01-2008, 10:27 PM   #78
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
Members over at Spurstalk are talking about signing Maggette with the MLE and Diop with the LLE. If that happens, who wants to join me in jumping off Reunion Arena (yes, in memory of the great arena).
Please. The LLE is little over the vet minimum for Diop. He would easily be ours in that case.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:27 PM   #79
alby
Guru

Speaking of which, there are 1000 people on Spurstalk right now, 800 of them are guests. I think the entire NBA is worried.

Contact Me
Old 07-01-2008, 10:31 PM   #80
BGMaverick9
Guru

I wouldn't say worried, Stunned is the word for me. Davis really turned Maggette loose to the entire league.