Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 11-03-2003, 09:38 PM   #1
Shaq Attack2

Shaq Attack2 is on a distinguished road
Default Duncan Tweaks Ankle

Ouch, not good. Just heard on the radio he did it in the 1st quarter against the Grizzles. Will be out for the rest of the game, though it seems it's a minor tweak.
Shaq Attack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2003, 09:53 PM   #2
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Duncan Tweaks Ankle

Duncan leaves game with ankle injury

November 3, 2003

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) -- San Antonio Spurs forward Tim Duncan left Monday night's game against the Memphis Grizzlies with an injured left ankle.

The team said Duncan had a mild left ankle sprain, but last season's league MVP wasn't expected to return.

Duncan, who had 10 first-quarter points, appeared to roll his foot after a shot with just over five minutes to play in the period. He fell near the foul line and held his ankle before time was called.

Duncan came in averaging 18.7 points and 16 rebounds in San Antonio's first three games.

Old 11-03-2003, 11:22 PM   #3
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

They've scheduled an MRI on his ankle for tomorrow...maybe precautionary, maybe something more...I just don't even believe all of the injuries in the first week of the season.

Hope TD is ready to play...after the Mavs game.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:44 PM   #4
superheadcat

superheadcat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hope TD is ready to play...after the Mavs game.
nah...
after the laker game, the new look mavs need to have a chance to play an elite team to see how they progress.

Old 11-04-2003, 12:01 AM   #5
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Hope he's out a few games so the Mavs can get a big lead on them.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:26 AM   #6
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default RE: Duncan Tweaks Ankle

Simon brings up a good point. Even though TD is one of my favorite players, but we need to gain ground anyway possible. I hate that it would have to come to a situation like this, but they would act the same way if Shaq, Webber, or Dirk was out.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 12:55 AM   #7
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road

It looked like a pretty bad sprain... but so do all of Dirk's sprains.
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 02:35 AM   #8
WayOutWest
Golden Member

WayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the rough

That's some confidence you're showing in your team sporto's. I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering how last years playoffs unfolded.

I hope TD is healty when the Lakers roll into town. Wouldn't want it any other way. Here's hoping Brand and Webber make a speedy recovery.

"Lakers hate causes blindness"
WayOutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 09:10 AM   #9
mavsfan4life

mavsfan4life is on a distinguished road

Ouch, now that hurt the Spurs a lot against the Grizzlies last night. I didnt hear about the injury til just now. I was at the Mavs game when I saw that Memphis had shut the Spurs down 80-88. I didnt know what happened. This team is going nowhere without Touch Down.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:59 AM   #10
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Duncan's just fine. I saw him running into the tunnel on ESPN after he exited the game.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 11:07 AM   #11
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

I can't believe what I'm reading.

Firstly, as much as I want the Mavs atop the Midwest Division, I also want them to do it legitimately (i.e. beating teams at full-strength). Secondly, we have a bear of a team that is capable of beating any team in the Association, have faith and believe baby!
Lastly, TD is an awesome player and the Spurs my third favorite team (behind #1 Mavs and #2 Rockets), Duncan playing makes watching NBA games simply better.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 01:13 PM   #12
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

I'll take any breaks we get. We'll surely have things go against us as well. But I'll wish no injuries on players, though there are a few I'd like to see knocked or their @$$ a few times.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:17 PM   #13
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
I'll take any breaks we get. We'll surely have things go against us as well. But I'll wish no injuries on players, though there are a few I'd like to see knocked or their @$$ a few times.
True enough.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:06 PM   #14
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

What is wrong with wanting a player to get hurt? I want Manu(or any Spur) to get a piano dropped on him after what he did to Dirk and the MAvs championship hopes last season.
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
Old 11-04-2003, 02:11 PM   #15
kingrex
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: ReDIRKulous
What is wrong with wanting a player to get hurt? I want Manu(or any Spur) to get a piano dropped on him after what he did to Dirk and the MAvs championship hopes last season.
There's nothing wrong with wanting harm on a player you dislike, and I know we both want the Mavs to beat the Spurs especially last year. But, wouldn't it be better to say that we beat the Spurs at full-strength rather than for them to have the excuse that they didn't have so-and-so player? Case in point, Sac fans.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:46 PM   #16
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

Yeah, I know what you are saying Kingrex.

But I never thought Webbers injury was an excuse, injuries are just part of the package with Webber now. He couldn't keep up with the Mavs. Neither could vlade. And they are all injury prone. Also, The Spurs are built around Duncan... it is laughable when people say the Spurs are a deep team. They are a one man team. And when you have a one man team the pressure will crush them after awhile... even Duncan. Even the Mavs have no excuse for Dirk getting injured. Dirk was our only real rebounder in the playoffs last year. That is why he ended up getting injured, imo.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:52 PM   #17
kingrex
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah, I know what you are saying Kingrex.

But I never thought Webbers injury was an excuse, injuries are just part of the package with Webber now. He couldn't keep up with the Mavs. Neither could vlade. And they are all injury prone. Also, The Spurs are built around Duncan... it is laughable when people say the Spurs are a deep team. They are a one man team. And when you have a one man team the pressure will crush them after awhile... even Duncan. Even the Mavs have no excuse for Dirk getting injured. Dirk was our only real rebounder in the playoffs last year. That is why he ended up getting injured, imo.
I don't buy that excuse about Webber either. Bottomline, the best scenario as a sportsfan is to see the best of one team versus the best of another. I'm just glad I've lived long enough to see the Mavs be among the titans of the NBA again rather than the footstools that they were a decade ago.
Old 11-04-2003, 03:03 PM   #18
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
I'll take any advantage the Mavs can get. I don't want TD to be injured premanently that's for sure. Look at it this way, even if the Mavs win it all. People will say that its a fluke. Just like SA. The Mavs won't get any respect with their unorthodox ways.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:49 PM   #19
superheadcat

superheadcat is on a distinguished road

i'm not looking at it as a break or advantage or anything, the biggest reason i want td healthy is to test mavs' progress. playing injured gs, jazz and heat just did not cut it.

the new mavs' gelling and d. those will be the 2 benchmarks against which i'll evaluate mavs' performance. i am not worried about the gelling part, but i need more convincing in d. spur should be a good test, if td is back in full.
Old 11-04-2003, 05:04 PM   #20
Shaq Attack2

Quote:
Manu also caused Devean George's ankle sprain during the Spurs series last year. I hope GP bitch slaps him this Thursday. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2003, 05:16 PM   #21
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

i do not wish harm upon any of God's creatures...we are all beautiful, like daises or roses.......

except for Karl Malone WHO CAN ROT IN THE ETERNAL FIRE OF GEHENNA! BURN! FLYING ELBOWS! BURN!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 08:00 PM   #22
Big Lo

Big Lo will become famous soon enough

looks like dunc is out for saturdays game.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Big Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 08:24 PM   #23
Shaq Attack2

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
except for Karl Malone WHO CAN ROT IN THE ETERNAL FIRE OF GEHENNA! BURN! FLYING ELBOWS! BURN!
Haha, classic!
Old 11-04-2003, 09:05 PM   #24
Simon2
Diamond Member

Duncan is out 1-3 weeks. Spurs should go into a nice slide during this time. Mavs just have to continue winning.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:13 AM   #25
TVI

TVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to all
Default RE: Duncan Tweaks Ankle

Duncan could be out for as many as three weeks. This will no doubt set the Spurs back. They were already down 2 PGs (starting Jason Hart, who they just picked up off waivers). Without Parker, they can't seem to get in any game rhythm. Now without Duncan, even winning ugly will be a challenge.

The Spurs are extremely deep, and they're getting progressively better performances from their new additions. Rasho played pretty well tonight, and Willis looks ageless for short spurts. But no team could replace a player of Duncan's caliber. They won't beat LA or Dallas without Duncan, but if they hang around .500 while Duncan and Parker are out, then they'll be in great shape.

'Course this must piss TNT off now. Can't hype the game Thursday.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:32 AM   #26
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex

Firstly, as much as I want the Mavs atop the Midwest Division, I also want them to do it legitimately (i.e. beating teams at full-strength).
November games mean squat. All that is important is the wins.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 12:05 PM   #27
kingrex
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power
Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex

Firstly, as much as I want the Mavs atop the Midwest Division, I also want them to do it legitimately (i.e. beating teams at full-strength).
November games mean squat. All that is important is the wins.
True all that matters are the W's, but when trying to figure out how your team matches up with others, the best way to gauge that is get that team at full strength. Granted I won't complain if the Mavs win another 60 game because everytime they played a tough team their #1 guy was out, BUT would I feel as confident about their ability to beat that team in the playoffs? Probably not so much.

If you dissect my quote above, I put the Mavs winning as #1, but to do it against the best the teams of this league has to offer is even better. Don't you agree?
Old 11-05-2003, 02:57 PM   #28
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

I don't agree because November games are meaningless (except for the wins). We dominated early last year but fell back to the pack later in the season. I only REALLY care about how we play after the all star game.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 03:55 PM   #29
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously, you want to see improvement in the Mavs. But, the bottom line is that a win is a win is a win.

If the Mavs are fortunate enough to play several teams with their top players out..hell, I won't complain.

Trust me, there will be more than enough games throughout the season that will act as an indicator as to how well the Mavs are playing.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 04:38 PM   #30
kingrex
Platinum Member

True it is an 82 game schedule, and equally true their progress later in the year is more important than earlier in the year, but one builds upon the other. The progress they gain now can be built upon the progress that they gain later. So, the earlier we see this team start playing like a team the better for them in the long run.

Moreover, they better they start to play usually equals more wins, thus bringing us back to the bottomline.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:40 PM   #31
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Obviously, you want to see improvement in the Mavs. But, the bottom line is that a win is a win is a win.

If the Mavs are fortunate enough to play several teams with their top players out..hell, I won't complain.

Trust me, there will be more than enough games throughout the season that will act as an indicator as to how well the Mavs are playing.
right you are murph....at the end of the year they don't look at you record and say "yeah they have the best record, but these other guys were hurt, I don't think they should get home court"....if the wins are there so is home court when it counts and that is all that matters...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 04:46 PM   #32
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Plus, there's nothing wrong with catching some breaks while the Mavs are still trying to find their way offensively and defensively.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 05:06 PM   #33
kingrex
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3

right you are murph....at the end of the year they don't look at you record and say "yeah they have the best record, but these other guys were hurt, I don't think they should get home court"....if the wins are there so is home court when it counts and that is all that matters...
Right! Bottomline it IS about he W's. I've said that.

I've also said that I wouldn't complain if they got those W's becasue the team they played were short-handed or lacked their star player.

However, if I wanted to evaluate where my team stands against another team, I feel the best way to gauge that is to play against that team at full-strength. Morever, in a playoff scenario. if the Mavs beat the Lakers at full-strength (i.e. with Shaq, Kobe, Payton & Malone all there) then that would certainly be more impressive than if one or more of those guys were out. You would agree with that atleast, right?