Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 01-28-2006, 10:06 PM   #121
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Saltwater, I have to say that Shawshank was head and shoulders better than any of the other movies you listed from 1994. The Lion King, Dumb and Dumber, Legends of the Fall, and Heavenly Creatures were all better as well.

Last edited by Murphy3; 01-28-2006 at 10:10 PM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2006, 11:10 PM   #122
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Murph, I can let you get away with saying Shawshank is better than Hoop Dreams and Pulp Fiction, because they are pretty close. Therefore, I'll let that one go to opinion. I haven't seen Heavenly Creatures, but I've heard good things.

However, you'd have to be an idiot to not realize that Hoop Dreams and Pulp Fiction are better than Legends of the Fall, The Lion King, and Dumb and Dumber.

I think Dumb and Dumber is really funny, and the Lion King is one of my favorite Disney movies, but come on man.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 11:19 PM   #123
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't a huge fan of hoop dreams.. As for Pulp Fiction, it's solid, but vastly overrated. Dumb and Dumber is one of the comedy classics of the 90's. Lion King probably got just about as much critical acclaim as Pulp Fiction, but it's just a better movie in general. Legends of the Fall is debatable...but, that just falls into my own personal preference.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 09:05 AM   #124
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

I watched Carlito's Way: Rise to Power.
And was forced to repeatedly stab myself in the leg with a fork for entertainment.
Al Pacino's Carlito is next in the netflix q
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:35 AM   #125
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Director's Cut of The Sixth Sense....dang, that is a beautiful movie.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:05 AM   #126
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Just got done with Waking Life.

I'm not quite sure how to feel about this film. At times, I really enjoyed the philosophies and issues discussed. Other times, I felt like they were overly pretentious. As far as how it works as a film, again, at times, I really enjoyed what it was doing, and at other times, felt like it was too scatter-shot.

As the movie progressed, I realized that the film was scatter-shot for a reason, so I appreciate the presentation of ideas in a film form. However, this is a movie that certainly won't appeal to everyone because so many of the scenes are so dense with information.

As far as the animation, I loved it. I think roto-scoping is a really cool technique when it is done well, and I think it was done very well here. It's tough for me to decide whether or not to recommend this film en masse. I would need to know an individual to decide whether or not they would like it. If you are into philosophy and movies that make you think (and i mean, really really make you think, this film can be quite dense), then check it out. If that doesn't sound like your cup of tea, then go ahead and avoid it.

I really want to go have some lucid dreams now.

Old 01-30-2006, 09:04 AM   #127
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, when remakes come out, do ya'll watch the old ones before or after watching the new one?
Old 01-30-2006, 10:13 AM   #128
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
Hey, when remakes come out, do ya'll watch the old ones before or after watching the new one?
give an example of what you mean...

like a remake of King Kong and Oceans 11?...or do you mean something else?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 01-30-2006, 10:14 AM   #129
sike
The Preacha

just watched serenity...a dang good sci phi flick for anyone who's interested.

Old 01-30-2006, 10:48 AM   #130
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

About the pulp fiction debate, I have always thought Q T was vastly overrated and honestly i have yet to see a single movie of his that i like at all.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:03 AM   #131
sike
The Preacha

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
About the pulp fiction debate, I have always thought Q T was vastly overrated and honestly i have yet to see a single movie of his that i like at all.
(sike looks around) what debate?

I can take him or leave him....

Last edited by sike; 01-30-2006 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:54 AM   #132
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan

This is about what I expected from you.

Old 01-30-2006, 11:58 AM   #133
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Meaning???
Old 01-30-2006, 12:39 PM   #134
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

You generally have little in your bag as a poster, and it's even worse when posting about music/movies.

Old 01-30-2006, 05:22 PM   #135
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
just watched serenity...a dang good sci phi flick for anyone who's interested.
Yeah, Serenity is pretty funny. Even though the actors aren't THAT good...

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:17 AM   #136
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury_rev
The Third Man and Leon....excellent

Have you seen Touch of Evil? Another great Orson film

Well, I finally got around to watching this tonight. Man, this thing is about as dark as it gets. Welles is a monster in this picture, and delivers a great performance. Good stuff from Heston as well.

However, something about it just rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe my expectations were built up too high from Citizen Kane and The Third Man, but Touch of Evil simply couldn't live up to those films.

Still, Welles remains a masterful director, and his photography in this film was brilliant. The opening crane shot of the film was one of the most amazing shots I've ever seen.

Old 01-31-2006, 06:49 AM   #137
NXperience

NXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to all

I watched Hero yesterday evening. I really do love this film, it's so ah I'm missing the english word ^^ ... hmm stylish epic greatly shot nice landscapes ah you get the idea
I really like these Chinese "Hollywood" Films they have such another mentality with a style I don't see in these typical Hollywood films ... there is much more symbolism like the colors and so on.
NXperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:39 AM   #138
sike
The Preacha

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
I wasn't a huge fan of hoop dreams.. As for Pulp Fiction, it's solid, but vastly overrated. Dumb and Dumber is one of the comedy classics of the 90's. Lion King probably got just about as much critical acclaim as Pulp Fiction, but it's just a better movie in general. Legends of the Fall is debatable...but, that just falls into my own personal preference.
I agree with Murph on Pulp being terribly overrated....its good...very good....but not the amazing piece of flim gold that so many make it out to be...the story is well conceived, the dialogue is crisp and often funny...but Shawshank is perhaps the greatest film of the 90's in my humble opinion...it's beautiful subtlety and amazing performances just remind you of how movies used to be made: with class

oh....and dumb and dumber is a comedy classic for any era...it's one of the funniest movies of all time....I rate it second behind Holy Grail...

Last edited by sike; 01-31-2006 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:36 AM   #139
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Shawshank is an amazing film, but at times, it comes off as too maudlin to me. Many of the characters seem somewhat one-dimensional, especially the auxiliary ones.

Pulp Fiction is/was a revival of film noir, a genre I happen to love, with a modern twist. It has some of the best dialogue I've ever seen in a movie, and almost every character is extremely interesting. Jules Winfield is one of my favorite screen characters of all time. Jackson has never been better, creating a character who seems to have kindness in him, but can be extremely brutal.

Tarantino made some great choices in his direction. His photography of the dance sequence is great, and even the Chris Walken scene (one of the more off-putting flashbacks in recent history) is shot in a convincing manner. His use of time is the best since Kubrick's "The Killing."

Like I said earlier, I'm okay with people thinking Shawshank is a better film, because they are close enough that it comes down to personal preference. But the other films considered do not even come close to the greatness of "Pulp Fiction."

But, I think we all can agree that "Forrest Gump" shouldn't have won Best Picture in 1994, which was the whole point of my original post.

Old 01-31-2006, 10:38 AM   #140
sike
The Preacha

Pulp Fiction is/was a revival of film noir, ....
Reservoir Dogs?

I loved Sam Jackson's Jules....but my favorite character in the intire flick is the one played by Tarantino himself...that guy cracks me up!!!

Old 01-31-2006, 11:07 AM   #141
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Reservoir Dogs was too small of a movie, as I recall, to make a huge impact. (Though I could be wrong.) Pulp Fiction was obviously huge.

Old 01-31-2006, 11:08 AM   #142
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
give an example of what you mean...

like a remake of King Kong and Oceans 11?...or do you mean something else?
That's exactly what I mean. For both of those movies, I planned on watching the original before going to the theaters to watch the remakes, but ended up doing it the other way around because I wanted the story to be fresh when watching the new one. After watching the remake, I'll generally go back to watch an earlier version to see how things were treated differently.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:08 AM   #143
sike
The Preacha

old boy is a pretty darn interesting movie...

Old 01-31-2006, 11:19 AM   #144
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Pulp Fiction is allright. It's cutesey. It defined Tarantino Cool, but Pulp is pulp.

Shawshank as the best film of the 90's?
Maybe I'm a sucker for epics, but Braveheart, Private Ryan, Schindler's List, even Dances With Wolves (though Costner himself is now such a beat-down it can be hard to watch that movie) are all at times better than Shawshank.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:15 PM   #145
Five-ofan
Guru

Shawshank was awesome, as to Saltwater you are entitled to your opinion but Music and movies are both purely a matter of taste and the fact that mine is different from yours doesnt mean I dont have any. No biggie you like your over written movies and ill take my simply entertaining movies (while still enjoying the "great films") and that will be that. However as to Pulp Fiction, it is OK and I usually dont say anything about it because of the beating that follows if you do BUT its not anything special. One mans great use of parallel story telling is another mans disjointed movie.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:22 PM   #146
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Lord of War is spinning on my DVD player.......... well, technically, it's stopped on my DVD player right now. Not bad, I'm watching it again and actually paying attention, not bad at all.

Last edited by bernardos70; 01-31-2006 at 01:23 PM.
bernardos70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 01:32 PM   #147
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70
Lord of War is spinning on my DVD player.......... well, technically, it's stopped on my DVD player right now. Not bad, I'm watching it again and actually paying attention, not bad at all.
heard it was good.

Old 01-31-2006, 01:33 PM   #148
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
Pulp Fiction is allright. It's cutesey. It defined Tarantino Cool, but Pulp is pulp.

Shawshank as the best film of the 90's?
Maybe I'm a sucker for epics, but Braveheart, Private Ryan, Schindler's List, even Dances With Wolves (though Costner himself is now such a beat-down it can be hard to watch that movie) are all at times better than Shawshank.
all good flicks to be sure...but you know how they end before you even go in..Shawshank just schocked me...

.Oh and Dances with Wolves was a beating to me....

Old 01-31-2006, 01:54 PM   #149
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

My wedding video was in my dvd player this weekend (had family in town). Anyone else seen it? it's a masterpiece.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:00 PM   #150
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
My wedding video was in my dvd player this weekend (had family in town). Anyone else seen it? it's a masterpiece.
It was anti-climactic (my apologies to your wife).

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 01-31-2006 at 02:00 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 03:47 PM   #151
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
all good flicks to be sure...but you know how they end before you even go in..Shawshank just schocked me...

.Oh and Dances with Wolves was a beating to me....

yeah, the crazy twist ending can be great when done right (as somebody above mentioned, Shawshank's strength was subtelity. See "Wild Things" for the other side of that coin, though).

I thoroughly enjoyed Dances with Wolves 1st time through, though I liked it much better the first time as . . . Little Big Man.

Little Big Man was perhaps the greatest "Living with the Indians" movie ever.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:52 PM   #152
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

damn straight it was , U2.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:33 PM   #153
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Last night I watched Crash.

I wish I could like this movie more. The acting is fantastic. Don Cheadle is always reliable. Terence Howard is one of the most under-rated actors working today, and delivers a great performance. Even Matt Dillon, who I hate, was great.

Too bad the direction and story was pretty awful. Hey, guess what gang? Racism is bad!! I'm going to beat you over the head with this fact for 2 hours! There is very little subtlety in this film, and for the most part, no characters, only characatures. This movie was nominated for Best Picture, and that's unfortunate, because it's not that good.

Old 02-02-2006, 02:35 AM   #154
mercury_rev

mercury_rev will become famous soon enough

Waiting for Guffman: funny mockumentary from the makers of Best in Show and Spinal Tap. The residents of Blaine, MO put on a musical celebrating their town's sesquicentennial, with hopes of getting to Broadway. Christopher Guest is brilliant as usual, playing a theater director whose talent and artistic taste is....well, unusual. Eugene Levy is deadpan hilarious as the likeable dork he always seems to play. Great improvisation all around.

Sanjuro: The outstanding sequel to Kurosawa's Yojimbo. I don't know why so many people say this is a relatively weak film for him, as Mifune's "man with no name" samurai always entertains and I found the story more suspenseful than most of K's other work. Not a whole lot of detailed action sequences....maybe that's why it's not held in as high esteem.
mercury_rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 10:30 AM   #155
endtroducing MASKED
Golden Member

endtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to behold

NOAH, Tokyo Differ Ariake, "NOAHful Gift in Differ," 12/24/05
endtroducing MASKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 11:18 AM   #156
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Mercury,

I love Waiting for Guffman. The movie was actually shot in a town in Texas. My friend told me about stopping there during a road trip. They found the building that was Corky's apartment. My friend ran up the stairs screaming "We love you Corky, we want you to Liiiiivvee!"

I have a bunch of Kurosawa films coming to me soon. Unfortunately, Sanjuro is not one of them. I'll have to check it out at some point.

Old 02-02-2006, 12:36 PM   #157
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Wasn't in my dvd player, but i saw Cape Fear for the 1st time last night.

Was it me, or did that movie suck?
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:44 PM   #158
mercury_rev

mercury_rev will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterChaffy
Mercury,

I love Waiting for Guffman. The movie was actually shot in a town in Texas. My friend told me about stopping there during a road trip. They found the building that was Corky's apartment. My friend ran up the stairs screaming "We love you Corky, we want you to Liiiiivvee!"
That's funny! Tell your friend: "Well, then, I just HATE you... and I hate your... ass...FACE!"
mercury_rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:52 PM   #159
NXperience

NXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to all

At the moment I have X-Files Season 1 spinning.
Ha I loved that series till it got too confusing ^^
NXperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 11:17 PM   #160
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Too tired/sick to write a review, but I watched Grizzly Man on the Discovery Channel tonight.

Despite how horrible Discovery cut the film, it was still really enjoyable.

Tags
annoying thread title, cadfail goes to work, flash fluff warning, got a bit fluffy in here, inception geeks..., stupidgookisstupid, what the fluff?