Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 11-12-2004, 11:43 AM   #1
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of
Default 2006- TX Governor's race

This was starting to be discussed in the 2008 thread, it certainly deserves its own tho, esp. as its in '06.

Rick Perry vs Kay Bailey Hutchinson vs. Carole Keeton Strayhorn for the republican nomination. It could be a battle of the ages...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Texas Grandmother Eyes Governor's Race

By KELLEY SHANNON, Associated Press Writer

AUSTIN, Texas - Texas Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn's reputation as a watchdog for the health and education of children is summed up in a needlepoint decoration in her office: "One Ticked Off Grandma." Strayhorn may try to add another job to her resume — governor.

"People are very directly asking me to run for governor, and I'm listening," said the 64-year-old Strayhorn, who regularly takes aim at Gov. Rick Perry, a fellow Republican.

Strayhorn's attacks on Perry and his policies — including state cuts to health care and the failure to devise a new method for funding public schools — routinely make headlines. She has accused Perry of being behind the Texas Legislature's efforts to strip her state agency of some of its high-profile duties.

Said Kathy Walt, a spokeswoman for Perry: "Her paranoia is amazing."

The governor typically avoids personally returning Strayhorn's political volleys and won't publicly discuss the 2006 election, saying it's too early. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (news, bio, voting record) is another possible GOP primary challenger.

The one-time history teacher — mother of four grown sons, two of whom serve in the Bush administration — shrugs off suggestions that she would have a tough time defeating Perry.

"I'm never going to kamikaze," she said. "But I don't mind winnable risks."

Strayhorn's booming voice belies her 5-foot-1 stature. She can boast about her five granddaughters, reel off political jabs and crack jokes at a rapid-fire pace.

Her son Scott McClellan is White House spokesman, and another son, Dr. Mark McClellan, is administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Twins Dudley and Brad are lawyers.

Brad McClellan remembers how his then-divorced mother got him and his brothers ready for school in the morning before tending to her duties as Austin mayor.

"People always wonder why we walk fast and talk fast. I don't know if it's an acquired trait or genetics," he said. "She could give us a one-hour lecture in five minutes."

A former conservative Democrat, Strayhorn served in nonpartisan posts on the Austin school board and three terms as Austin mayor — winning her first term against nine men in 1977 — before switching parties and running unsuccessfully for Congress as a Republican in 1986.

"I don't like labels. I guess if I had to label myself I'd call myself an 'activist, populist Republican.' I care about people. I care passionately about education. I care about health care. I care about paychecks and jobs, and they all interconnect," said Strayhorn.

Strayhorn often credits her strong will to her late father, Page Keeton, longtime dean of the University of Texas law school.

"Dad also told me something from a very early age. He said, 'Carole, if you don't have somebody mad at you, you probably haven't done anything,'" she said. "So I remember that often, lately."

Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2004, 11:56 AM   #2
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:2006- TX Governor's race

This would be a good one.

My bet would be on Kay Bailey though..............

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 12:18 PM   #3
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 2006- TX Governor's race

Kay Bailey would get my vote. Of course, that's with me not knowing much about Strayhorn.

Perry is a weak leader in my opinion.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:34 PM   #4
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

I met Perry back in the late 80's. He is pure politician.

He was also an a$$ when it came to business. I didn't then, and still don't think that much of him.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 12:37 PM   #5
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Strayhorn is smart; if KBH runs for governor, she won't. Rather, she might try to take her place in the Senate. I'd like her chances.

Seriously, if you ever get the chance to see Strayhorn speak, it is a sight to behold. She stands up; the mic towers over her; she rattles on at about 1,000 words a minute, makes a couple of points, makes a joke at the expense every well known democrat (you don't have time to laugh), praises GWB, says thanks and sits down. She's great.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 03:14 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

My choice would be KBH and then Strayhorn.....oust Perry as politely and quickly as possible.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 03:46 PM   #7
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
Kay Bailey would get my vote. Of course, that's with me not knowing much about Strayhorn.

Perry is a weak leader in my opinion.
I think you are wrong. He led the effort the redistrict, which will go down as the biggest Republican victory in Texas politics this century (as long as it holds up in court). He is a very partisan leader, for sure. That is not to say he has the best policies, but he does get them done. I suspect he is much smarter than he comes across, much like W (please don't take my words as W = Perry).

I would probably vote for KBH. I need to look closer at Strathorn. She's kindov a whacko if I remember right.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 04:37 PM   #8
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Strayhorn is smart; if KBH runs for governor, she won't. Rather, she might try to take her place in the Senate. I'd like her chances.

Seriously, if you ever get the chance to see Strayhorn speak, it is a sight to behold. She stands up; the mic towers over her; she rattles on at about 1,000 words a minute, makes a couple of points, makes a joke at the expense every well known democrat (you don't have time to laugh), praises GWB, says thanks and sits down. She's great.
Was she originally known as Carol Keeton Rylander? Good thing she keeps the two first names consistent. I saw her speak when I was a delegate to the state convention back in '98 (7?). She's every thing you said she was. It was awesome. I'm leaning toward Kay for governor.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:54 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

That is her smiley. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

She's very dynamic and "one tough grandma".
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote