Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 11-07-2004, 01:12 AM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One less distraught loser to worry about

Man Kills Self at Ground Zero
Saturday, November 06, 2004

NEW YORK — A 25-year-old university worker from Georgia shot and killed himself at ground zero (search) Saturday morning, authorities said.

The man, Andrew Veal (search), of Athens, Ga., was found atop the structure housing the 1 and 9 subway lines after a hotel worker spotted what he believed was somebody sleeping inside the site around 8 a.m., said Steve Coleman, a spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. A shotgun was found near the body, Coleman said. No suicide note was found, he said.

Veal apparently was distraught over President Bush's (search) re-election, Newsday reported Saturday on its Web site edition, citing an unnamed police source. The newspaper also said the man was a registered Democrat who opposed the war in Iraq.

Coleman said he could not confirm Newsday's account.

Police were investigating how Veal entered the former World Trade Center (search) site, which is protected by high fences and owned by the Port Authority.

Veal worked in a computer lab at the University of Georgia and was planning to marry, friends said Saturday.

Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2004, 06:53 AM   #2
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:One less distraught loser to worry about

Reeds hasn't been around here lately...
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 08:18 AM   #3
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

regardless of politics, suicide is a very avoidable tragedy. Pretty tasteless to poke fun.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 09:49 AM   #4
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

You two both make me sick.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 05:27 PM   #5
seal614

seal614 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: One less distraught loser to worry about

must have been psychological, this is not a bush response. poor guy.

- Brian
seal614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 06:06 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

I certainly didn't mean to belittle suicide. I understand very much how it affects those left behind. Unfortunately, I've encountered that more than once and understaqnd the vast underlying issues.

I do have a problem with someone making this a political point however. I seriosuly doubt that the election had anything to do with it. It may have been one stone on a large scale, but it most likely was not the reason.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:13 PM   #7
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I heard this story on the radio this morning and supposendly his mother said he was upset over having to live with Bush being president for 4 more years. I'm not happy about Bush being in office for 4 more years but it's definately not worth going to hell over. Someone should've talked to this guy.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 06:45 PM   #8
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road

dr....the headline of this thread is just showing your true colors, re-write it you idiot
Old 11-08-2004, 06:51 PM   #9
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

This is the kind of stuff I was talking about in the "civility" thread. I am just baffled that some people get so caught up in it.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 06:57 PM   #10
vinnieponte

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
This is the kind of stuff I was talking about in the "civility" thread. I am just baffled that some people get so caught up in it.
?
Old 11-08-2004, 07:09 PM   #11
Drbio
Banned

vinnie- I know that you are hurting badly since your boy kerry got stomped by the Bush machine, but that is no reason to clutter up yet another thread with your nonsense.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:21 PM   #12
vinnieponte

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
vinnie- I know that you are hurting badly since your boy kerry got stomped by the Bush machine, but that is no reason to clutter up yet another thread with your nonsense.
nonsense? you're title of a man's suicide is....."One less distraught loser to worry about"! I'm over the election and have no choice but to live with the fact dumb ass bush will ruin more lives for the next 4 years, but for you to say that your title isn't shitty is plain wrong, I'm leaving to the game, have a nice night bitch
Old 11-08-2004, 07:58 PM   #13
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: vinnieponte
dr....the headline of this thread is just showing your true colors, re-write it you idiot
HAHA! Doc, you should definitely take advice on maturity from vinnie, who's already proven that his maturity level is high enough to say things like this.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:00 PM   #14
mavsman55
Platinum Member

To all who are mad at me -

Fine. I wasn't downplaying the effects of suicide. The man was extreme enough to kill himself and cause mass chaos due to an election not going his way - There was something wrong with him.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:07 PM   #15
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
nonsense? you're title of a man's suicide is....."One less distraught loser to worry about"! I'm over the election and have no choice but to live with the fact dumb ass bush will ruin more lives for the next 4 years, but for you to say that your title isn't shitty is plain wrong, I'm leaving to the game, have a nice night bitch
Tsk Tsk Vinnie....it's so much fun seeing a liberal get so pissy because his boy got spanked. Keep being sour vinnie...you have no choice but to enjoy the greatness of YOUR president...George W. Bush.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:23 PM   #16
TheLou

TheLou is on a distinguished road

Pfft, all you bleeding hearts make my heart bleed. The guy killed himself, he doesn't deserve sympathy.
TheLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 02:49 AM   #17
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

Some people make me want to vomit.
I understand that suicide isn't the brightest thing to do, but seriously, have you people no compassion.
The guy obviously needed help, and he didn't get it. I'm not saying he deserves sympathy, but can't you atleast be apathetic rather than almost gleeful. What business is it of anyones WHY he killed himself?
I'm sure he thread would have a very different title had he killed himself because he couldn't live in under Kerry, because this is what some people have decided to make this all about, politics. Not the fact that a man that none of us knew took his own life.

Why is it that some people are just 100% incapable of being civil?

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 06:55 AM   #18
mavsman55
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: veruca salt
I understand that suicide isn't the brightest thing to do, but seriously, have you people no compassion.
The guy obviously needed help, and he didn't get it. I'm not saying he deserves sympathy, but can't you atleast be apathetic rather than almost gleeful. What business is it of anyones WHY he killed himself?
I'm sure he thread would have a very different title had he killed himself because he couldn't live in under Kerry, because this is what some people have decided to make this all about, politics. Not the fact that a man that none of us knew took his own life.

Well go ahead and vomit then. It's not my fault I can't force myself to feel bad for someone who blows their brains out in front of hundreds of men, women, and children because an election didn't go his way.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:05 AM   #19
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I do have a problem with someone making this a political point however. I seriosuly doubt that the election had anything to do with it. It may have been one stone on a large scale, but it most likely was not the reason.
This I agree with. The fact that he couldn't come to any other solution for his disappointment in the election outcome says more about his psychological state than it does about his political viewpoint. If someone want's to think of him as a loser for it, that's up to them, but being a sore winner is pretty bad when the issue is living or dying.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 09:29 AM   #20
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Quote:
?
From that thread:
Quote:
What people fail to understand is that everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter how stupid they think it is. Reasonable minds can differ. There are very honest, moral, hardworking, ethical and smart people voting for both candidates. Many of us have very real emotional attachments to people in this election (myself, probably more than anybody). Why do people enjoy treading all over that?

Despite what the candidates say, this is not "the most important election in our nation’s history." I base this on the fact that every candidate in history has said that the race at that time was "the most important election in our nation’s history." We live in the most successful, stable democracy in history of man. Republicans: this nation survived 4 years of Carter and eight years of Clinton, it will survive four years of Kerry. Democrats: this nation survived 8 years of Reagan and six plus years of Nixon, it will survive another four years of Bush. I will also point out that it survived 2 years of a post-stroke partially incapacitated Woodrow Wilson.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 09:43 AM   #21
Drbio
Banned

Dooby- that would have been a good post except that it was wasted on a someone who only wants to troll. Good effort though.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:24 AM   #22
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: veruca salt

I don't feel like vomiting, but I pretty much agree with veruca. Apathy is running rampant these days.

To call a complete stranger a "loser" because he committed suicide (for whatever reason) is quite disgusting.

And I honestly don't care if having compassion for others makes me a "bleeding heart liberal" or "tree-hugger" or whatever convenient label you want to use - whatever floats your boat.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 11:49 AM   #23
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Dooby, I don't care for the tone of this forum in general - entirely too much nastiness and name calling for my taste. But don't you think that this thread was titled in such a manner that the thread was more likely to get an inflammatory response? I'm all for civility, but Doc's sentiment was not the type that invites a civil response.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
Old 11-09-2004, 11:52 AM   #24
Drbio
Banned

Thanks for assuming the intent of this thread. Of course, you are mistaken.

My intent was to point out like I posted above:
I certainly didn't mean to belittle suicide. I understand very much how it affects those left behind. Unfortunately, I've encountered that more than once and understaqnd the vast underlying issues.

Now, if you don't agree that is fine, but everyone can dismount from the high horse at any time. I'm not changing the farking title. If you don't want to read it then don't open the thread.

AND ANOTHER THING: I'm tired of people having to walk on eggshells around here. This political correctness bullcrap can kiss my ass. Not heiny, not backside....my ass. Screw political correctness right up the pie hole. Was this a sad story? Yes. Did this guy hurt those he left behind? Absolutely. Was he sick? Obviously. Is it unfortunate that someone died? Yes. But, was this guy a distraught loser? YES.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:33 PM   #25
mary
Troll Hunter

Doc, I agree that it is very unlikely that this man committed suicide because Bush was elected President. When someone committs suicide, its obvious to me that he/she was most likely dealing with a moutain of emotional/mental issues and needed some sort of phsyciatric help.

If that's obvious to you as well, then why so much disdain for someone you do not even know? It ticks you off because his death was politicized, yet your OWN response to this article is dripping with your OWN political views. I agree its distasteful to politcize someone's death, but clearly the culprit here is either a media outlet or perhaps his family. Obviously it isn't the guy himself, because he's dead.

Some people will read this article and snicker because some "loser" just supposedly offed himself over the election. Others may read it and realize that somewhere a mother is about to bury her son. Whether or not you think it indicates that I'm on a "high-horse", this is just the way I'm wired, and it doesn't have anything to do with my political affiliation (I swing both ways anyhow).

I don't want you to change the title of your thread - it was your honest reaction. My honest reaction was that I thought it was disgusting. That's just my own .02, which for some strange reason I felt like posting.

Old 11-09-2004, 12:36 PM   #26
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
AND ANOTHER THING: I'm tired of people having to walk on eggshells around here. This political correctness bullcrap can kiss my ass. Not heiny, not backside....my ass. Screw political correctness right up the pie hole. Was this a sad story? Yes. Did this guy hurt those he left behind? Absolutely. Was he sick? Obviously. Is it unfortunate that someone died? Yes. But, was this guy a distraught loser? YES.
Sometimes what you may view as "politcally correct", others just view as "correct".

Also, just because someone responds to you and doesn't agree with what you have to say, doesn't mean they want you to walk on "egg shells".

Old 11-09-2004, 02:01 PM   #27
TheLou

TheLou is on a distinguished road

I can't believe people are getting upset over A: the title of this thread, and B: calling this loser a loser. Bottom line is, suicide is a losers way of answering their problems, they can't take the heat so they get out of the kitchen and kill themselves. I hear all the time, "oh what that poor person must have been going through" pfft, screw that, everyone has hard times, but not everyone decides to eat a pistol to solve their problems.

I had a friend in highschool who died in a car wreck, no one cared because he wasn't part of the popular crowd. Then this other kid commits suicide one day after school and the whole damn school went ape shit for him cause he was one of the "cool kids" some of the students even built a little memorial in the parking lot for him. Why? He didn't deserve it, apparently the pressures of being a 16 year old upper middle class kid was too much for him so he ate a bullet. Too bad, so sad, you lose buddy.

So when some spare decides to off himself over something like the election, which if he'd have waited 4 (edited by a Dallas-Mavs.com moderator) years we would've had another, then I have no sympathy, I award him no points and may he go directly to hell, do not pass go.
TheLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 04:09 PM   #28
Drbio
Banned

mary- thanks for sharing your view. I respect that. I don't see it the same way, but I do respect your opinion....and of course you. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2004, 04:10 PM   #29
Drbio
Banned

That's kind of harsh Lou.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:46 PM   #30
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
mary- thanks for sharing your view. I respect that. I don't see it the same way, but I do respect your opinion....and of course you. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Same here [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-10-2004, 11:14 PM   #31
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

Since when did making fun of a man who committed suicide and titling it "one less distraught loser to worry about" become an issue of political correctness? Do you think Usually Lurkin is vice chair of the ACLU? It has nothing to do with being 'PC' and everything to do with being a decent human being. As if large swathes of the population enjoy snickering at other's misfortunes but don't because of 'political correctness'

Since you have made this a political issue, might I remind you that your side won. I've heard of sore losing before but not sore winning.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 06:12 PM   #32
Drbio
Banned

Aw epitome....still hurting I see.....enjoy the next four years. YOUR President will take good care of you.