Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 07-01-2008, 11:35 PM   #121
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanFinley
Ginobli has been wearing down during the regular season and you know the Spurs are not going far into the post season without him. Maggette will take a lot of the pressure off of him in the minutes and scoring department.

Maggette is probably as good about getting to the basket or ft line as Parker and Ginboli is. He's everything the Spurs need.
I actually think the Spurs could use someone with a bit more of a consistent jumper. Maggette's 3-ball is fine, but I think the Spurs often have the exact same problem the Mavs do, which is clanking open shots after rotating the ball from a double team.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2008, 11:39 PM   #122
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
With the West being the way it is though, managing minutes may be the difference between having home court or not, you know what I mean?
I think both of our arguments are correct, I just think his health is an issue. If they can keep him healthy and get similar production or a new kind from Maggette and still keep pace with the West...they'll easily take it.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:43 PM   #123
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I think I'm just trying to convince myself on why Dallas would be a better place to play than San Antonio if I were Maggette. The truth of the matter is, San Antonio has 4 banners, a championship coach, and a core of players who have done it before.

Honestly, I think Boston is just trying to get Posey to sign so they were never really in the Maggette race imo.

I think the major players are San Antonio and Orlando, with the dark horses being Golden State, Philly, and Dallas.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84

Last edited by alby; 07-01-2008 at 11:44 PM.
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:45 PM   #124
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, they're just telling Posey to hurry up. I understand about wanting to convince yourself. If that actually happens and we come with the news of Green, it won't look pretty.

That's why I think we have to go big and try to swing for the fences with the MLE.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:46 PM   #125
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Ginobli often plays with the 2nd unit so it's not like Maggette is going to take away a lot of his touches.

First unit: Oberto-Duncan-Bowen-Maggette-Parker
Second unit: Mahinmi-Thomas-Udoka-Ginobli-Hill

Pop might stick with one of the starters in the 2nd unit until Mahinmi and Hill get their feeting but it's still a better 2nd unit than what they had last year.

In other Spurs news the Rockets are making a hard push at Brent Barry. If Maggette does sign it probably means the end for both Finley and Barry.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:48 PM   #126
BGMaverick9
Guru

Who is the other bench wing player with Ginobili? Wouldn't they want to keep one of them?
Old 07-01-2008, 11:50 PM   #127
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Udoka, who was an absolute steal for them last year.

Contact Me
Old 07-01-2008, 11:52 PM   #128
BGMaverick9
Guru

there it is...couldn't remember. Then yeah, I guess both of them are pretty expendable. They could try to use them in a SnT for a big...sigh.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:55 PM   #129
alby
Guru

If losing Finley/Barry meant gaining Maggette and adding two young guards through the draft, I'd take that anyday.

Contact Me
Old 07-01-2008, 11:58 PM   #130
BGMaverick9
Guru

if they try to push Finley or Barry in a SnT for Diop, watch out.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:00 AM   #131
alby
Guru

Damnit, don't even think that!

Contact Me
Old 07-02-2008, 12:00 AM   #132
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If losing Finley/Barry meant gaining Maggette and adding two young guards through the draft, I'd take that anyday.
Absolutley, but the Spurs depend a lot on 3 point shooters. Something Finley and especially Barry are good at. I just don't see a lot of minutes for either one.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:02 AM   #133
MavsFanFinley
Guru

I don't see Finley or Barry working with the Spurs in a s/t situation unless it's to a contending team. Nor do I see the Spurs helping another WC team either.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:02 AM   #134
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Damnit, don't even think that!
I know, I know...but now THAT I would be worried about.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:04 AM   #135
alby
Guru

Yeah, that's part of my point--signing Maggette would sort of shift their approach. Maybe even doing less of the suck in the defenders, kick it out approach. And more pick and rolls with Manu, Maggette, Parker. Their championships have been based on Duncan sucking in the defenders and kicking it out to open 3 point shooters. Maybe Maggette ultimately hurts them in the end? You know what they say about greed.

Contact Me
Old 07-02-2008, 12:15 AM   #136
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

I think the Mavs want Diop and Diop wants to play for the Mavs. I wouldn't worry too much about him going elsewhere (although it would be a huge shocking dissapointment if he did unless we sign someone better to the MLE)
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:17 AM   #137
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
I think the Mavs want Diop and Diop wants to play for the Mavs. I wouldn't worry too much about him going elsewhere (although it would be a huge shocking dissapointment if he did unless we sign someone better to the MLE)
I'm not worried about Diop signing elsewhere. I'm worried about him signing HERE for the full MLE.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:20 AM   #138
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
I'm not worried about Diop signing elsewhere. I'm worried about him signing HERE for the full MLE.
It's probably what's going to happen. We're losing other options by the day.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:44 AM   #139
BGMaverick9
Guru

There are still SG options, I just don't know if they all of them are truly what we are looking for. Here is a short list:

Not in any order:
Childress
Posey
JR Smith
Azubuike
Pietrus
Quinton Ross
Maurice Evans
James Jones
CJ Miles
Old 07-02-2008, 02:42 AM   #140
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

I think Posey would be an absolute must sign if available. He plays D and hits some big shots, and he's a winner (won 2 of the last 3 championships) We need someone who knows how to win on our team.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:38 AM   #141
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

maybe I missed it, but did magette ever mention the wish to come here?
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:14 AM   #142
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

IF the Spurs get Maggette....

Cuban and Donnie better be doing whatever the hell they have to to prevent this.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:27 AM   #143
cowdog80

cowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
and then what happens once the playoffs roll around? bench Maggette and put in Bowen for his defense and Manu for his offense?

I never really believed in coasting until the playoffs. Winning 67 games and losing in the first round has gotten people's thinking all out of whack =]

I say go hard in games 1 through 82.
For most teams, I would agree wholeheartedly. However, the Spurs have basically gotten the regular season down to a science.

They'll get beaten every once in a while (every other year to be exact), but it's not because they haven't paced themselves properly heading into May.
cowdog80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:33 AM   #144
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

what does the insider on espn say about Maggette

and what does it say about DIOP!?

can someone post those for me please.

Last edited by MavsX; 07-02-2008 at 09:34 AM.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:56 AM   #145
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...orey_maggette/

Why cant we offer him about 5 mill first year and have it go up from there. Kidd will prolly be resigned to a lot less next year which will leave us some money and other guys will be gone too. So we should trry to do that and if Green proves ge is woth it, we could have enough to keep him too.

I know people want Diop, but over Maggete?? we could just pick up some young cheap guy.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS

Last edited by AxdemxO; 07-02-2008 at 09:59 AM.
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:08 AM   #146
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

No kidding, actually a decent market for back-up centers too.

Ok insider info:

Quote:
Celtics Extend Offer To Maggette
On the first day of free agency in the NBA, the world champion Celtics, according to an NBA source, made contract offers to both James Posey and Corey Maggette. Since Boston, at most, has a mid-level exception available (expected to be about $5.8 million), it would seem doubtful they could land both players. Boston is also scheduled have New Orleans center Chris Andersen in for a visit today.
"I called [Posey] and just talked to him and told him how much we wanted him back," Danny Ainge said. "I told his agent and we had a conversation. So we're still having conversations. After James, yeah, I called a lot of guys just to say that we had interest. But I can't discuss names."

"It's a great honor to even hear from them," Maggette said. "Hopefully, I can look at some of the options. That's a good option playing for those guys. ... It's not always about money," Maggette said. "I've been in the league a long time and I've made a lot of money. I'm tired of losing. I want to get back to the playoffs and win."

Old 07-02-2008, 10:10 AM   #147
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

thanks man.

also, wasn't there an insider thing for diop too?, it says something like diop receives a good offer or something, also mentions the nets.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:13 AM   #148
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Well since the Clippers can't resign him now I say offer him the full MLE before offering anything to Diop.

If we got Maggette for the MLE I would go nuts. It would be like an early christmas.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:14 AM   #149
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien
Well since the Clippers can't resign him now I say offer him the full MLE before offering anything to Diop.

If we got Maggette for the MLE I would go nuts. It would be like an early christmas.

yeah no sh*t, so would I, that would be sooo money.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:41 AM   #150
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Can we offer him like 5.5 mill now and have it go up next year

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:45 AM   #151
MavsX
Diamond Member

maybe we can all throw in a dollar a piece. He could make like 30 million a year..

its genius!
Old 07-02-2008, 10:47 AM   #152
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxdemxO
Can we offer him like 5.5 mill now and have it go up next year
No. His salary will naturally increase because the MLE each year is based on the average salary of the league. But you can't sign him for ML money and then have his contract go up significantly next season. Not allowed.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 07-02-2008, 10:51 AM   #153
MavsFanFinley
Guru

It's HoopsWorld so don't read too much into it but it would suck if they finally got one right.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9329

Report: Maggette Off the Market?

By: Bill Ingram Last Updated: 7/2/08 10:14 AM ET

No player has been more sought after or talked about this summer than Corey Maggette. Most of the teams who feel they have a legitimate shot at winning a title in the near future have talked about him being the missing piece that would put them over the top. The Orlando Magic were the most recent team to make a play, but teams like Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio have also been hot on his trail.

According to multiple reports this morning Maggette will, indeed, wind up in the Texas Triangle, and he could very well turn out to be the piece that gets his new team a championship. If all goes according to plan, Maggette will finally join the San Antonio Spurs, who were very much in love with him a couple of seasons ago when his last contract came up.

Maggette was not completely against returning to the Clippers, but behind closed doors it seems there was a mutual understanding that splitting the sheets was the best move. LA's move to steal Baron Davis away from the Golden State Warriors was the final indicator that Maggette's days in LA are finished.

For now, Spurs fans can start to think about Finals tickets once again . . .and get in line for your Corey Maggette jersey.

It won't be #50.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:56 AM   #154
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

You're breakin my heart MavsFanFinley.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:01 AM   #155
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Yesterday Bill Ingram said the Mavs were in the driver's seat for Beno Udrih....

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-02-2008, 11:05 AM   #156
alby
Guru

Why does San Antonio have to be the way they are?

Contact Me
Old 07-02-2008, 11:06 AM   #157
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Good point. But you have to admit, anything surrounding the rumor that involves the Spurs and Maggette is like a knife in the stomach.

I believe management is imo trying everything possible but gut feeling tells me somethin bad...I hope it's wrong.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 07-02-2008 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:12 AM   #158
alby
Guru

If we don't get him, we are f'ed.

Parker/Maggette/Bowen/Duncan/Thomas
Ginobili/Oberto/Udoka

or

Rafer/Maggette/Tmac/Scola/Yao
Battier/Landry/Brooks/Dorsey

Cuban better be at Maggette's house first thing this morning. Donnie better be leaving voice messsages on Maggette's agent's phone. Kidd needs to take a break from Team USA and make a quick stop for lunch with Corey. Dirk should be texting him from Germany. Carlisle should be talking to his mom. The Mavericks better be doing everything in their power to not allow Maggette to join the Spurs or the Rockets.

or the Celtics
or the Lakers
or the Suns

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 07-02-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:15 AM   #159
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

I wonder if some sort of sign-and-trade can be worked out.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:17 AM   #160
alby
Guru

The Clippers will be renouncing their rights to Maggette if they are going to sign Baron. Thus, a sign n trade would not work. Thus, Maggette can choose to go to Golden State, Memphis, or Philly if he wants to get paid--if not, he must take the MLE making him free game for any team in the NBA.

Contact Me