Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 02-17-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Aren't you the same guy who constantly harped on Barea as a terrible player, despite his 2+-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio?

Boy, you can sure cherry pick when you have an agenda.
I never once called Barea a terrible player. You're the one cherry picking. JJB was a big part of our team last year. I thought there were certain matchups where he was exposed and/or shouldn't have seen as much time as he did. But a terrible player? Heck no (and JJB's weaknesses/strengths are different than Lin, so I'm not sure what your point is).
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:07 AM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
I never once called Barea a terrible player. You're the one cherry picking. JJB was a big part of our team last year. I thought there were certain matchups where he was exposed and/or shouldn't have seen as much time as he did. But a terrible player? Heck no (and JJB's weaknesses/strengths are different than Lin, so I'm not sure what your point is).
Wow...just, wow. You gave me about a two-year workout, defending Barea against your mean-spirited rants...and now you have a sort of respect for him?

I'm not surprised, on the one hand. But...this does make me giggle...hard.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:40 AM   #3
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Wow...just, wow. You gave me about a two-year workout, defending Barea against your mean-spirited rants...and now you have a sort of respect for him?

I'm not surprised, on the one hand. But...this does make me giggle...hard.
Like I said, your head must be an...interesting...place to live.

We usually only sparred on JJB because you would defend him tooth and nail no matter the situation and no matter how poorly he played.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Knicks probably losing as Lin has his worst game since arriving.

A loss will be good for them and especially Lin (before the hype gets more insane). Will also force him to protect the ball more.

watch your thoughts, they become your words

Last edited by rabbitproof; 02-17-2012 at 10:27 PM.
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
Knicks probably losing as Lin has his worst game since arriving.
Yet just now I watch an ESPN highlight on Lin doing good things.

Oh hey, they just showed his stat line on ESPN...guess what was missing? The turnover column!

But ESPN isn't bias, right?
Old 02-17-2012, 10:35 PM   #6
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yet just now I watch an ESPN highlight on Lin doing good things.

Oh hey, they just showed his stat line on ESPN...guess what was missing? The turnover column!

But ESPN isn't bias, right?
He still did a lot of good things in his worst game. 26 points off 18 shots, two treys, four steals. The only glitch is the 9 turnovers.

Don't know what ESPN does. Don't really care.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:05 PM   #7
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
He still did a lot of good things in his worst game. 26 points off 18 shots, two treys, four steals. The only glitch is the 9 turnovers.

Don't know what ESPN does. Don't really care.
And he only had 5 assists and they lost to N.O....at home. Also, he probably shouldn't be taking 18 shots in this kind of game (he did get to the FT line, I know).

You don't care what ESPN does. Other people do. I'm saying flashing his stat line, while ignoring his biggest stat (9 tos) is disingenuous BS.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:05 PM   #8
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

And the Knicks slip under .500 again after losing to the Western Conference-worst New Orleans Hornets.

The national media wouldn't give a crap about "Linsanity" if it had happened anywhere other than the most overrated city on the planet (great story, don't get me wrong, but NYC is just so damn full of itself that even a wet fart is perceived as the equivalent to dropping a nuclear bomb...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-17-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:40 PM   #9
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

let's send them to two losses in a row on sunday.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:02 AM   #10
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Love the Lin story because it is needed with the poor basketball that has been on display, but I read an interesting tidbit in the Metro:

Carmelo has been tagged as a ball hog but on average he takes one less shot per game than Lin has taken during his meteoric rise. Remind you, Lin is the point guard and Carmelo is the Small forward.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:20 AM   #11
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_o_r View Post
Love the Lin story because it is needed with the poor basketball that has been on display, but I read an interesting tidbit in the Metro:

Carmelo has been tagged as a ball hog but on average he takes one less shot per game than Lin has taken during his meteoric rise. Remind you, Lin is the point guard and Carmelo is the Small forward.
that certainly is a lot of shots/game but i think some context would balance things out here...

most of these games have been played without their starting SF (melo) and starting PF. who else was going to take those shots? Bill Walker?

Lin is shooting almost 50% from the field. Melo is shooting how well this year? just below 40%. Melo has definitely had better years - career 45-46%.

I haven't seen all his games. Probably there are times he forces things, but from what i've seen he often makes good decisions on pass/shoot. Can't say i've seen him force his shots. Now his passing and TO's however...
Scoobay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:24 AM   #12
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Flipped on sportscenter. Very first stat mentioned about Lin? 8 first half turnovers (with footage and turnover analysis by Bowen). Magic also went into the turnovers as well.

He did settle down in second half (1 turnover). Bigger story probably the Knicks going 4-24 from 3.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 02-18-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:39 AM   #13
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
Flipped on sportscenter. Very first stat mentioned about Lin? 8 first half turnovers (with footage and turnover analysis by Bowen). Magic also went into the turnovers as well.

He did settle down in second half (1 turnover). Bigger story probably the Knicks going 4-24 from 3.
Yes, NOW I'm finally seeing it mentioned. It was just funny during the Mavs game, they flashed Lin's boxscore and purposely excluded his turnovers.

At this point it's finally being discussed, so I'm content.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:41 AM   #14
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

Hope we can make it a double but I really think the loss is good for him - both from a pressure/hype and a examine your game standpoint.

Melo may be back for our game. Think JR Smith is declared out.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:58 AM   #15
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

I was shocked seeing the espn homepage headline "chink in the armor." Maybe I shouldn't have been but it kind of took me off guard.

To update: Espn has sinçe changed the headline to "silver lining" before removing it from the lead story altogether in favor of Dirk and the mavs comeback vs the 76s.

Also, I can't find all the comments for the original lead story. There was a lot of outrage.

Anyhow, sorry to distract from ball. Apparently, this headline was only viewed on espn's mobile site.

Last edited by jleefilled; 02-18-2012 at 03:31 AM.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #16
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleefilled View Post
I was shocked seeing the espn homepage headline "chink in the armor." Maybe I shouldn't have been but it kind of took me off guard.

To update: Espn has sinçe changed the headline to "silver lining" before removing it from the lead story altogether in favor of Dirk and the mavs comeback vs the 76s.

Also, I can't find all the comments for the original lead story. There was a lot of outrage.

Anyhow, sorry to distract from ball. Apparently, this headline was only viewed on espn's mobile site.
http://deadspin.com/5886218/espns-he...-armor-edition
Old 02-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #17
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a stupid foreigner so could somebody explain to me where the term comes from and why it is used to insult Chinese people?
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #18
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
I'm a stupid foreigner so could somebody explain to me where the term comes from and why it is used to insult Chinese people?
Chink in the armor is a phrase used to refer to a weakness. The phrase in and of itself isn't racist by any means.

However, "chink" is a racial slur used against the Chinese/Asians.

Thus using the phrase in relation to Lin can be construed as racist.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #19
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
It's a racial slur that came about during the Korean-American War - it's a conjunction of "Chinese North Korean" that sprung up when the US army pushed the Korean army so far north that the war was being fought in China, against both Chinese and Korean soldiers. The Americans couldn't tell the difference between the two armies and came up with "chink" as a catch-all to describe the people they were shooting at.

(yeah, most racial slurs are pretty weaksauce when you discover their roots...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #20
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
It's a racial slur that came about during the Korean-American War - it's a conjunction of "Chinese North Korean" that sprung up when the US army pushed the Korean army so far north that the war was being fought in China, against both Chinese and Korean soldiers. The Americans couldn't tell the difference between the two armies and came up with "chink" as a catch-all to describe the people they were shooting at.

(yeah, most racial slurs are pretty weaksauce when you discover their roots...)
Huh... as a Chinese person, I had no idea. Interesting history lesson, I suppose. +1
Old 02-18-2012, 06:27 AM   #21
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! That is a horrible lack of judgment.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #22
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #23
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

Lin vs. the champs:

28 points, 14 assists, 4 rebounds, 5 steals, 1 block, 7 turnovers

11-20 FG

3-6 3FG

Time to start accepting this is real. He carried the Knicks the whole game.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #24
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

All he does is Lin.......

the myth that he can't shoot is debunked
Old 02-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #25
bigcat

bigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to all

what impresses me most about lin: he's humble and seems level headed. in the interview right after the game, he gave major pops to novak and jr smith, can described himself as "learning from my mistakes". that attitude is more significant than his stat line.

i am pretty sure lin does not give a rat ass about "making doubters eat crow", but as a lin fan, i am quite happy to see him excelling at things certain people say he's bad at. I think the next thing on his to-improve list: turn overs. (7 to don't look nice. but that is in 46 mins work, and his asst/to rate in the game is higher than both mavs ball handler, especially kidd.
bigcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #26
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat View Post
what impresses me most about lin: he's humble and seems level headed. in the interview right after the game, he gave major pops to novak and jr smith, can described himself as "learning from my mistakes". that attitude is more significant than his stat line.

i am pretty sure lin does not give a rat ass about "making doubters eat crow", but as a lin fan, i am quite happy to see him excelling at things certain people say he's bad at. I think the next thing on his to-improve list: turn overs. (7 to don't look nice. but that is in 46 mins work, and his asst/to rate in the game is higher than both mavs ball handler, especially kidd.
I haven't found a reason to hate on the guy. I agree that he seems very likable.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #27
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoy!

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #28
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Enjoy!

There should probably be a glass of whine with that.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #29
CadBane
Banned

Lin didn't impress me at all tonight, despite his gaudy stats.

He should have had around 12-15 turnovers, and I'm not even joking. There were at least 6 or 7 times where the Mavs would deflect one of his passes or poke it away from him only for it to magically end up in the hands of a teammate. I also noticed that in the first quarter he got away with some blatant travels. He does a move where he moves with the ball before taking a dribble. It's very unnatural and obvious, so I don't know why it isn't called.

Stern has already realized that Lin is a goldmine and he is getting Superstar calls on both ends of the court. It's ridiculous the calls this kid gets. Several of his "steals" were blatant reach-ins (most notably the one at the end on Dirk). You breathe on him or he gets too pressured, foul.

He hit several BS flukish jumpers tonight as well.

It can be pretty easy to get your assists padded when Steve Novak goes HAM. He played a good game, but I wasn't wowed. Regardless, Stern & the league are going to milk this cash cow for all he's worth, so I guess I'll have to get used to it.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #30
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

He should have had around 12-15 turnovers, and I'm not even joking. There were at least 6 or 7 times where the Mavs would deflect one of his passes or poke it away from him only for it to magically end up in the hands of a teammate. I also noticed that in the first quarter he got away with some blatant travels. He does a move where he moves with the ball before taking a dribble. It's very unnatural and obvious, so I don't know why it isn't called.

Stern has already realized that Lin is a goldmine and he is getting Superstar calls on both ends of the court. It's ridiculous the calls this kid gets. Several of his "steals" were blatant reach-ins (most notably the one at the end on Dirk). You breathe on him or he gets too pressured, foul.

It can be pretty easy to get your assists padded when Steve Novak goes HAM. He played a good game, but I wasn't wowed. Regardless, Stern & the league are going to milk this cash cow for all he's worth, so I guess I'll have to get used to it.
Don't you have some medicine that needs taking?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #31
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Quote:

man.. you are getting ridiculous.

you've laid down the marker that the Lin hype is exccessive.. fine. duly noted and appreciated.

Although, you don't HAVE to beat the OPPOSITE dead horse until it is blood pudding.
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #32
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsluggo View Post
man.. you are getting ridiculous.

you've laid down the marker that the Lin hype is exccessive.. fine. duly noted and appreciated.

Although, you don't HAVE to beat the OPPOSITE dead horse until it is blood pudding.
Lmao. Hi pot...meet kettle.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #33
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

CadBane is just a hater. Still think Lin is a decent rotational player perhaps?

Per CadBane, his turnovers should've been higher, his assists were lucky, his steals were lucky and his jumpers were BS. Apparently, this whole game was just bad luck and not impressive at all despite somehow having played a "good game".

Lin keeps shooting the jumpers and has been decent at making at them. He has some misses because he has to take the shot at the end of the clock but all in all, it's not the weakness you tried to make it out to be earlier ("very poor").

His turnovers remain a problem individually but work in the team context (45 minutes, 95% of the ball handling and given usage, etc). His per minute turnovers were lower than Kidd's for example.

It's just hilarious. Anybody with an basketball eye sees a very good young player who is improving and has potential to be great. CadBane sees a lucky should-be-backup who just has "good games".

Last edited by rabbitproof; 02-19-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #34
CadBane
Banned

Quote:

Per CadBane, his turnovers should've been higher, his assists were lucky, his steals were lucky and his jumpers were BS. Apparently, this whole game was just bad luck and not impressive at all despite somehow having played a "good game".

Lin keeps shooting the jumpers and has been decent at making at them. He has some misses because he has to take the shot at the end of the clock but all in all, it's not the weakness you tried to make it out to be earlier ("very poor").

His turnovers remain a problem individually but work in the team context (45 minutes, 95% of the ball handling and given usage, etc). His per minute turnovers were lower than Kidd's for example.

It's just hilarious. Anybody with an basketball eye sees a very good young player who is improving and has potential to be great. CadBane sees a lucky should-be-backup who just has "good games".
Nice Straw-Man, dumbass.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #35
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Yes, he passes the eye test. Idk how great he can be but I have long believed he had what it takes to be a starter. Kinda sucks that he tore us up so bad and our best defender couldn't deal with him.

Where is Jthig? Haven't seen him in here in a while.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #36
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Yes, he passes the eye test. Idk how great he can be but I have long believed he had what it takes to be a starter. Kinda sucks that he tore us up so bad and our best defender couldn't deal with him.

Where is Jthig? Haven't seen him in here in a while.
I'm here. I don't read this thread much because the current discussion doesn't really interest me.

He's clearly established himself as a viable NBA player, so good for him. You were right about his potential. It's still ridiculous for people to clamor to replace a current rotation player with a Summer League walk on.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #37
xrobx
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I'm here. I don't read this thread much because the current discussion doesn't really interest me.

He's clearly established himself as a viable NBA player, so good for him. You were right about his potential. It's still ridiculous for people to clamor to replace a current rotation player with a Summer League walk on.
it was ridiculous for us to pass up a talented guy like robert traylor to get some 7 foot project from germany. Sometimes you have to take chances in this league and the writing was all over the wall with Lin

that said, if I could go back and give him barea's job, I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize the championship we just won. But I'd take him over roddy and dojo any day.

Last edited by xrobx; 02-20-2012 at 02:36 PM.
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #38
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

I know the move cad is talking about, where Lin seems to move before dribbling. It looked funny to me so I replayed of bunch of them when i noticed them. Believe it or not, he actually did keep his pivot foot (at least on the ones i replayed). It just looks funny because his upper body is moving quite a bit.

He still goes into the air WAY too much. That's going to burn him in the long run, but it's something that can be changed. NBA vet guards (like Nash and Kidd) are great and driving, and then keeping their dribble alive if nothing is there. This kid is basically a rookie (he may still be classified as one, not sure).

All that being said - Cad, you're insane to call all of this luck. Did novak getting hot help his assist numbers? It maybe added one or 2. But an assist is an assist - Nash, Kidd, Rondo, Paul, etc all get assists like that, too.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #39
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
I know the move cad is talking about, where Lin seems to move before dribbling. It looked funny to me so I replayed of bunch of them when i noticed them. Believe it or not, he actually did keep his pivot foot (at least on the ones i replayed). It just looks funny because his upper body is moving quite a bit.

He still goes into the air WAY too much. That's going to burn him in the long run, but it's something that can be changed. NBA vet guards (like Nash and Kidd) are great and driving, and then keeping their dribble alive if nothing is there. This kid is basically a rookie (he may still be classified as one, not sure).

All that being said - Cad, you're insane to call all of this luck. Did novak getting hot help his assist numbers? It maybe added one or 2. But an assist is an assist - Nash, Kidd, Rondo, Paul, etc all get assists like that, too.
It would be insane to call all of it luck....

Good thing I never did that.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #40
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

CadBane is setting himself up for the moment Lin hits the rookie/sophomore wall, so he can say "I told you so!" Brilliant. Keep on waiting.

At some point everyone who follows basketball should be able to see the talent and the greatness of what Lin has done over the last two weeks.

I wonder how much Lin's amazing confidence has to do with D'Antoni's approach of keep him playing despite the tons of turnovers he commits and how much this approach could have helped the development of Devin Harris and Roddy.

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
<clutch tagging>, 41mvp=funny bunny, bancad, ben&jerry's, cad vs chum, cadbane is always right, cadchokesondick, cadeatsshitcereal, cadhatesasians, cadreadsusatoday, chumbusey=oxygenthief, faking objectivity, getbackinthekitchenmary, getbackonyourkneescad, jeremy lin, jthig farted, lin = goat, lin-1 cadbane-0, mavsfanuofvagina, objectivehaterinhere, racism, return of the quack!, slow to admit, stuckonstupid, too many tags