Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-29-2008, 05:24 PM   #1
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future
Default FISH'S MAVS INSIDER

FISH'S MAVS INSIDER
Hairy-Chested Takes On. ... All Things Mavs
By Mike Fisher -- DB.com

Part of the fun of this job is digging for an informational nugget and then having the world affirm that the nugget is valuable. DB.com has a recent, decent track record in that regard. (As silly as it might seem, it truly is a thrill to be the first to report that the Mavs are signing Derrick Low to the summer-league team or that they want to bring in Keith McLeod. Hey, it’s a living.)

So let’s dig some more, with a quick look at Dallas’ summer-league roster, some of the organization’s thoughts on its star-level assets, some free-agent gossip, back-to-the-future efforts on Najera and Diop, and yeah, sure, Vince Carter, too. …

THE DOPE ON THE SUMMER-LEAGUERS

Yaroslav Korolev: Relative to what summer-league is, this is a very sweet signing. You want bargain shopping? You get Korolev (pictured), a 6-9 Russian who had a cup o’ Clippers coffee in 05-06 after having been drafted 12th overall. Korolev – once upon a time very highly thought-of by virtually everybody in the NBA and still just 21 -- is a definitive reason for a Mavs fan to watch these games on NBA TV. (Yes, I’ve got the schedule.)

Reyshawn Terry: Anybody who was disappointed that Dallas didn’t draft Douglas-Roberts should therefore be happy that Terry is a Mav. Seriously, as college prospects, they are/were essentially the same guy. (Same goes for Antoine Wright, by the way.)

Renaldas Seibutis: I guess I’m too impatient to enjoy this “stash-him’’ stuff. (One of these days, let’s do a study on how well that traditionally works, shall we?) The Mavs need help NOW. Prepping for 2012 oughta be on some burner way behind prepping for 2008. And I think this: Does a Seibutis REALLY learn more playing for Olympiacos and scoring 3 points than he would learn practicing every day with the Mavs? He can score 3 points in a game here, too, can’t he?

Shan Foster: Chad Ford and Kelly Dwyer make it sound like he won’t even make the team. Donnie and Carlisle make it sound like he a shot to be in the rotation. Cuban even says he was “the best shooter’’ (in the whole draft, presumably) and “I think we got a steal.’’

Keith McLeod: Not to get too dreamy here, but the former Utah starting PG is a very important summer-leaguer in this sense: If he recaptures what he used to have, he can win the backup job, thus saving Dallas from having to spend assets to fill that job.

Aaron Miles: Yet another stab at a PG. He starred at Kansas (leaving there as the school’s all-time assist leader) and has played with the Warriors, in Europe and with the Mavs’ D-league team in Fort Worth.

Derrick Low: A native Hawaiian, which happens in the NBA about once a century. Interesting notes: Low was his high-school conference’s Player of the Year for all four years, was Hawaii’s “Mr. Basketball’’ for three years, and led his school to an in-state record of 101-4.

Reggie Williams: The Mavs want a 2-guard who can shoot? Want eye-popping numbers? Based only on those definitions, VMI’s Williams was the best guy in all of college basketball – two years running. The 6-6 Williams won the NCAA scoring title as a junior and again this year as a senior.

Richie Frahm: The NBA vet will join Williams and Shan to engage in a summer-long catch-and-shoot showdown.

JaJuan Smith: An undrafted rookie, the 6-2 guard was a decent scorer as a three-year first-teamer at Tennessee. Cuban: “We always look for the blur of the draft. JaJuan was the fastest guy, the best defender of the point.’’ In a summer of blockbuster superhero movies, it’s “The Blur!’’

Marcus Slaughter: A very positive scouting report on the kid here. Wingspan, good rebounder, double/double guy as a rookie in Europe? Hmm. (PS: The DMNews mentions Slaughter; I didn’t get his name from the Mavs.)

Pops Mensah-Bonsu: Can he do anything at all offensively?

Pape Sow: Pronounce it “Pop So.’’ And then watch and see if the 6-10, 250-pound Senegalese player who dominated in the D-League can do it this summer. He scored 42 in one game, had a double/double of 27 points and 24 rebounds in another.

Charles Rhodes: Four-year guy from Mississippi State who went undrafted this year. He averaged 17 ppg as a senior and, at 6-8, 245, plays power forward.

James Singleton: The 6-8 Singleton (pictured above) is 27, was never drafted, and is somewhat of a standout playing overseas. Like Korolev, he was briefly with the Clippers in 05-06.

In summary: At the risk of being a Pollyanna (so sue me!), I do not find it unreasonable to think there are one or two Brandon Basses in that group.

SO LET’S MINE FOR MORE VET NUGGETS

DeSagana Diop: I can’t find anybody who thinks giving ‘Gana Diop the full MLE is Dallas’ plan. So we’ll stick with our original thoughts.
I can find a skillion people who believe Dallas wants him back, and that the center wants to come “home.’’ I can also find five other teams that will be bidding on him. And, finally, I can find at least one Mavs source who says Diop should be Dallas’ starter with Erick Dampier as the backup.

How about splitting the MLE and giving part of it to Diop? That’s one option.
Here’s a better one: Sign-and-trade Devean George to New Jersey for Diop. The Nets get something for him, the players each get, say, $3 mil contracts and the Mavs free up the MLE to take a big swing at a starting 2-guard.

CJ Miles: We’ve been pushing the notion of chasing the Jazz swingman for a month. It’s been suggested to me that we should keep pushing. The Mavs need to get lucky on the cheap this summer. Rolling the dice hoping this DFW native can blossom as a 2 is well worth it – as long as “worth’’ doesn’t eat up too much dough. Utah has made him a restricted FA and can match any offer he gets and retain him.

Eddie Najera: He’s on the Mavs’ come-home radar. You want an injection of energy and enthusiasm off the bench? “El Rayo’’ is one of the NBA’s best in that department. Oh, and he’s a different player than he was as a Mav; have you noticed how he’s become a Denver 3-point threat?

Jerry Stackhouse: He’s very much trade bait. Nothing personal, Stack.

Jason Terry: Same with you, my friend.

Eddie Jones: He told me a couple of months ago that he would seriously consider passing on his contract this year because he misses his wife and kids back in Miami. Looks like now he’s coming back. … but he’s not coming back. The attraction to Eddie now is all about including him (and his final contract year) as a trade asset.

Backup point guard: A starting 2 and a starting 5 (Diop) would be huge acquisitions. A backup 1 behind the aging Kidd is a priority, too. How about. …

A backup PG from Memphis?: They added combo-guard OJ Mayo to a group that already included youngsters Conley, Lowry and Crittenton. The Grizzlies almost HAVE to deal.

Patrick O’Bryant: A 7-footer who has done nothing under Nellie in Golden State. But did I mention he’s a 7-footer?

James Jones: He’s a 6-8 shooter who scored 8 ppg for Portland. However, I’m told he’s under the impression that he’s going to get “big’’ money in free agency. That ain’t happening here.

Corey Maggette: He’ll be worth even more, assuming he opts out.

Jamaal Tinsley: Nutjob. Such a nutjob that Indy might buy him out just to get rid of him.

Kurt Thomas: We think SA will keep him.

Boris Diaw and Leandro Barbosa: We think Phx will move them. I don’t have the formula for this, but. … boy, if you miss Devin, want to be up-tempo, need an heir to Kidd and like added scoring. … Isn’t Barbosa all those things in one package?

JJ Reddick: Orlando will fire-sale him. He is a jump-shooter, right?

Ron Artest and Mickael Pietrus: Artest? “Poison in the locker room’’ is the quote I got that I keep applying. Pietrus? “Nellie thinks he’s a box of rocks’’ is the quote I got that I keep applying.

However. …

How picky can the Mavs afford to be? The Kidd trade was a balls-out effort, so why not another one? If you wait for the “perfect move,’’ don’t you end up doing nothing? I’m willing to consider the Artest idea in this frame: What if the Lakers sign him? (That’s a hot rumor.) How left out, left behind and pissed would you as a Mavs fan feel then?

Hey, here’s one that’s not perfect:

Vince Carter. Word out of New Jersey is that the Nets just turned down an offer from Cleveland that would’ve sent Wally Zoolander and his $13-million expiring in exchange for Carter. Now, I don’t think Kidd and Carter are exactly buddies anymore. And Vince is flawed in many ways. But flaws and risks and creativity – they go with the territory of where Dallas is right now.

THE KIDD THING

The media, and many fans, now cannot discuss the status of the Mavs without broaching the Jason Kidd trade. Good? Bad?

I’ll let my man Skin paint the negative side. He writes: Kidd is 35. And he ain't John Stockton 35. He's a in-the-clubs-when-he-was-younger 35. He's a sleeping-in-Gary-Payton's-backseat-in-the-parking-lot-of-a-restaurant-at-4 AM-when-he-was-younger 35. He's a had-microfracture-surgery 35.
Well-played, sir. I’ll handle the positive:

It is imperative to understand, I think, that Dirk Nowitzki is this team’s engine – and that the Golden State series caused that engine to sputter. … and then along comes Kidd as the necessary premium fuel. (OK, enough with the automotive analogies.)

Consider how Dirk’s game immediately accelerated in mid-February just based on the knowledge that the Mavs were trying to acquire Kidd.
In the opinion of the Mavs’ Triangle of Trust, and in the opinion of those close to The UberMan, the Kidd trade didn’t just bring back Jason Kidd. It also “brought back’’ Dirk Nowitzki.

ABOUT THOSE ‘NAME’ DRAFTEES

In fairness, you know why we like Chalmers, Arthur and Douglas-Roberts? Because we’ve heard of ‘em. With all respect to, say, ESPN.com’s Chad Ford, there is no possible way he is a better judge of basketball talent than, say, Mavs scout Kevin Stacom.

Apply this to something as fundamental as the future role of Shan Foster. Ford writes that Foster has no chance to get any “burn’’ for the Mavs this year. Yahoo’s Kelly Dwyer tops that by predicting Foster won’t even make the team. Ford and Dwyer are apparently unaware that the Mavs’ roster is absent of bodies, and that unless Foster shows up at training camp with two amputated legs, he’s pretty much going to stick. (He might even stick if he only has one amputated leg.)

At some point – with all due respect to the fact that you and I really liked some kid we saw during the NCAA Tournament -- don’t we have to trust the judgment of the people who do this for a living?

WE LOVE OUR TEAM – INCLUDING J-HO

In the last five days, I’ve heard from numerous voices at Mavs HQ that Josh is working harder than ever, that he’s taken advice from Carlisle and smoothed out a hitch in his jumpshot, that he feels bad about his missteps, that he really wants to be a Maverick.

This might be a Triangle of Trust flaw, but it’s a fact: They really are fond of their players. They really root for them to succeed. They do what they can to facilitate that.

They are doing all that for Josh Howard now.

THE ‘HE’S-LIKE-HIM’ GAME

Shan Foster is like Kyle Korver. Korver was even drafted in the No. 51 spot. So there.

Richie Frahm is like Jason Kapono.

Antoine Wright can do all the things we think Chris Douglas-Roberts will do.

Marcus Slaughter is compared by some to James Singleton. … and now Dallas owns both of ‘em! Unfortunately, I don’t exactly know what James Singleton is like.

THE ODDS ON A SECOND-ROUNDER

I haven’t done a study. I’m relying on a Mavs employee’s help here. But if you look at the history of second-round picks, about only 30 percent of them become rotation players.

Now, that can be consumed one of two ways.

1 Only a third of the time does a second-round pick ever become anything. So don’t sweat such small stuff.

2 Hmmm. One-third of them become something? Then go get three of them (go read “What If?’’ above) and you win!

THUMBS-UP TO RICK CARLISLE

I finally met him, one-on-one. Seems like a good dude. Of course, what I think doesn’t matter. What some of the Mavs’ kids think. … that matters.
And they really like him.

Two Mavs insiders tell me stuff like, “Carlisle is very engaged with the young guys’’ and “He’s a teacher like we haven’t had before.’’ No, this isn’t meant by them as digs on Avery. … Though I do hear a few sarcastic references to “us not being San Antonio North anymore’’ and “Carlisle’s not planning to ‘re-wire’ our stars.’’

(Sidebar I: I gotta get this in. Avery and his Spurs “blueprint’’ – I bet even Popovich would admit that his “incredible vision’’ would be completely negated had SA not Lotto’ed into Tim Duncan.

Sidebar II: Jason Kidd, asked about Avery, tried to take the high road. And he almost did.)

Anyway, Carlisle has done exhaustive work in dealing hands-on with every guy on the roster, all the way down to Reyshawn and Renaldas and the rest. And they seem to appreciate it.

Therefore, so do I.

223pm june 29 2008

Link

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2008, 05:39 PM   #2
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

That Dirk's game picked up before Kidd's arrival doesn't really sell me on the Dirk / Kidd floor combo. That Cube's mouth is saying the Mavs need to do something on the cheap to fix their personnell holes this summer isn't really inspiring.

Summer league is summer league, though, and it'll be fun to see which guy might look like he has the chance to crack the rotation, and which 2 or 3 will tease us for another couple years in development.

Unless the entire league is as down on J-Ho as we mavs fans have been, he really should be listed with Stack and Terry as traid bait.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:25 PM   #3
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

Diop, Barbosa and James Jones would be good pick ups this summer.
craggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:29 PM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

James Jones I like. Diaw, Barbosa are over-priced and don't do much for me. Diaw needs to play center/pf... Barbosa would be a bench player, he might be interesting.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:13 PM   #5
Popeye

Popeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to behold

Seibutis had back surgery at the beginning of the season, so I wouldn't put too much stock in his stats for this season.
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:15 PM   #6
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Zoidberg

Jerry Stackhouse: He’s very much trade bait. Nothing personal, Stack.

Jason Terry: Same with you, my friend.

Interesting...
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:31 PM   #7
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrav4
Interesting...
Not surprising. I haven't heard the front office say anything about Terry this summer. I personally believe he is front and center in trade talks. Sorry, but you can replace one-dimensional players.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:23 PM   #8
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I've noticed that all the talk is about needing a shooter. Jason Terry is a shooter. That kinda tells me Jason Terry might not be around long. Terry was also a notable omission from the "Big 3" talk. I won't be surprised to see Terry back here again if the Mavs can't find good value for him--but I think they're probably shopping him right now to try to fill multiple voids--backup 1, starting 2, backup 5.

Here's a thought: Jason Terry to the Nets for a sign-and-trade Diop, draft rights to Chris Douglas-Roberts, and some cap filler (Keith Van Horn's deal would actually work perfectly money-wise--not sure if there are any wacky provisions that would keep that from actually happening though). Or maybe just Stack for Diop S&T.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:42 PM   #9
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi
Yeah, I've noticed that all the talk is about needing a shooter. Jason Terry is a shooter. That kinda tells me Jason Terry might not be around long. Terry was also a notable omission from the "Big 3" talk. I won't be surprised to see Terry back here again if the Mavs can't find good value for him--but I think they're probably shopping him right now to try to fill multiple voids--backup 1, starting 2, backup 5.

Here's a thought: Jason Terry to the Nets for a sign-and-trade Diop, draft rights to Chris Douglas-Roberts, and some cap filler (Keith Van Horn's deal would actually work perfectly money-wise--not sure if there are any wacky provisions that would keep that from actually happening though). Or maybe just Stack for Diop S&T.
Now, that's some good thinking! Terry for Diop-and-change makes a whole lot of sense. Especially since Terry is mostly a team cancer, in that he's a guy who is happy with all the mediocrity in the world, as long as he's comfortable.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:46 PM   #10
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Now, that's some good thinking! Terry for Diop-and-change makes a whole lot of sense. Especially since Terry is mostly a team cancer, in that he's a guy who is happy with all the mediocrity in the world, as long as he's comfortable.
Hmmmm. So you're back to hating Terry again?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:04 PM   #11
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Calling Terry a team cancer is a little harsh... I know backup center and point guard might be team voids, but I wouldn't give up Terry for that. Hell na.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:21 PM   #12
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Hmmmm. So you're back to hating Terry again?
I never stopped. I'll take him as a seventh man sort, but certainly not at 10MM a year. He's probably the most overpaid player in the league.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:37 PM   #13
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe there is a team out there stupid enough to take on Terry's contract.

$9,075,000
$9,862,500
$10,650,000
$11,437,500

I'm sure Cuban and company are looking but ...
Old 06-29-2008, 09:55 PM   #14
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I never stopped. I'll take him as a seventh man sort, but certainly not at 10MM a year. He's probably the most overpaid player in the league.
Hmm. I think I can find gameday posts that say otherwise.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 06-29-2008, 10:04 PM   #15
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

I have hated on Terry before.. but you cannot deny his value in the playoffs. One of the few that actually step up. ... That said, he is definitely trade bait. He actually has some value.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:06 PM   #16
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Hmm. I think I can find gameday posts that say otherwise.
I challenge you to try. I'm sure I recognized his occasional greatness when it (very) occasionally happened...but for the most part I've been on board since Day One in realizing that Terry is the kind of guy who drags a team down.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:08 PM   #17
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robillion
I have hated on Terry before.. but you cannot deny his value in the playoffs. One of the few that actually step up. ... That said, he is definitely trade bait. He actually has some value.
He had ONE good playoff series as a Mav. ONE. And a LOT of stinkers other than that.

He certainly does NOT "step up" his game in the playoffs. Usually he disappears.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:20 PM   #18
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I challenge you to try. I'm sure I recognized his occasional greatness when it (very) occasionally happened...but for the most part I've been on board since Day One in realizing that Terry is the kind of guy who drags a team down.
I was just giving you a hard time, but I can't back down from a challenge!

Link

Quote:
I am so relieved to finally be able to appreciate Jason Terry. Thank GOD the brain trust FINALLY realized that he's not a point guard, he's a perimeter assassin.
Link

Quote:
Actually, I know that I did save it. Maybe at work, though. It was a great, great picture.

Oh, and I never hated Terry. I knew all along what kind of player he was, yes, but I never hated him. What I hated was the idea that he could be the point guard this championshiop-aspiring team needed.

Jason Terry is this generation's Vinny Johnson. That's a very fair comparison.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 06-29-2008, 10:22 PM   #19
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanFinley
I can't believe there is a team out there stupid enough to take on Terry's contract.

$9,075,000
$9,862,500
$10,650,000
$11,437,500

I'm sure Cuban and company are looking but ...
That's the crazy thing. With everybody trying to get under the cap for the "Summer of LeBron," I can only think of a few teams who might be interested in taking on the money to turn things around, in other words desperate: Cleveland, NY, Orlando?, ATL?, Mia, Indiana, Milwaukee, LAC, Seattle, POR.

Those are the ONLY teams I could see wanting Terry, and half of those are questionable.
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.

Last edited by bcrav4; 06-29-2008 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:29 PM   #20
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:

Link

Link
Boy, you don't mess around! I guess it's clear that I puke at the idea of him running the point. As for my favorable reviews of him, I'm sure it must have been a big win, or one of his rare big performances...

Bottom line, I still would rather not have him, than have him...
Old 06-29-2008, 11:10 PM   #21
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He had ONE good playoff series as a Mav. ONE. And a LOT of stinkers other than that.

He certainly does NOT "step up" his game in the playoffs. Usually he disappears.
You're one ungrateful S.O.B. when it comes to anyone that came on board after 2003.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:19 PM   #22
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
You're one ungrateful S.O.B. when it comes to anyone that came on board after 2003.
There's not much to be grateful for there, big daddy. We all know that Dirk is wearing a saddle for this team, and the parts that are riding him are mostly not noteworthy...
Old 06-29-2008, 11:22 PM   #23
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah, i forgot--no way does NJ take on Terry, they're hoping to move to Brooklyn and sign Lebron, so they'll need to be under the cap.

It will be funny to see if all these teams really do try to free up cap room for Lebron & D-Wade...I mean, there's only two of them after all. What do those teams that DON'T get one of those guys to sign do? Pay stupid money for some horribly mediocre players because they have nothing better to do with their money?

One last thing--while I would agree that Terry is overpaid, I think it'd be pretty easy to find a lot of contracts a lot worse than his out there.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:29 PM   #24
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Reyshawn Terry: Anybody who was disappointed that Dallas didn’t draft Douglas-Roberts should therefore be happy that Terry is a Mav. Seriously, as college prospects, they are/were essentially the same guy. (Same goes for Antoine Wright, by the way.)
I don't get this comparison at all. One was the leading scorer on his team, the other was the 5th leading scorer.

Quote:
Shan Foster: Chad Ford and Kelly Dwyer make it sound like he won’t even make the team. Donnie and Carlisle make it sound like he a shot to be in the rotation. Cuban even says he was “the best shooter’’ (in the whole draft, presumably) and “I think we got a steal.’’
The one red flag I see here is Foster's fg%. Pure shooters usually shoot a very high percentage from the line. You wouldn't they? You're 15-feet from the basket and nobody is guarding you.

Korver hovered around 90% his last two years while Foster shot a respectable but not eye popping 76% his senior year. He was at 84% his junior year which is closer to what I'd expect him to be. I anxious to see him in Vegas but I'm not ready to make the Korver comparison right now.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:29 PM   #25
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
One last thing--while I would agree that Terry is overpaid, I think it'd be pretty easy to find a lot of contracts a lot worse than his out there.
Do it!
Old 06-29-2008, 11:31 PM   #26
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
There's not much to be grateful for there, big daddy. We all know that Dirk is wearing a saddle for this team, and the parts that are riding him are mostly not noteworthy...
Dirk wore the saddle but not even the greatest do it alone. When this team has had success Terry has been right there with Dirk and when he's struggled so has Dirk.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:36 PM   #27
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Dirk wore the saddle but not even the greatest do it alone. When this team has had success Terry has been right there with Dirk and when he's struggled so has Dirk.
What's your point? Does that somehow make Terry a saint in your eyes? I don't get it. He's a dog of a basketball player. He performs when he feels like it's time to perform...which is about one game in three or four, and about one playoff series in three or four (or more). He's a dog. It's pretty simple, and I don't know why you go to such lengths to defend him.

Again...Jason Terry is a dog, when it comes to performance when it matters. He cannot be relied upon, he cannot be trusted, and he will disappoint more often than not. Why would you wave the flag for this guy?
Old 06-29-2008, 11:36 PM   #28
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Do it!
I'd start with Reshard Lewis.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:38 PM   #29
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
I'd start with Reshard Lewis.
And how much further would you get?
Old 06-29-2008, 11:45 PM   #30
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
And how much further would you get?
You called him the most overpaid player in the league. Why do I have to go any further?
Old 06-29-2008, 11:50 PM   #31
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
What's your point? Does that somehow make Terry a saint in your eyes? I don't get it. He's a dog of a basketball player. He performs when he feels like it's time to perform...which is about one game in three or four, and about one playoff series in three or four (or more). He's a dog. It's pretty simple, and I don't know why you go to such lengths to defend him.

Again...Jason Terry is a dog, when it comes to performance when it matters. He cannot be relied upon, he cannot be trusted, and he will disappoint more often than not. Why would you wave the flag for this guy?
It makes him a good player that's done a lot for this team. That's it. I wouldn't call that going to great lengths to defend him.

Fin was as up and down as they come and you'd bring him back now if you could. It's just weird that KVH is the only post 2003 Mav that you made any connection with.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:56 PM   #32
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
You called him the most overpaid player in the league. Why do I have to go any further?
Because you didn't get there the first time?
Old 06-30-2008, 12:00 AM   #33
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
It makes him a good player that's done a lot for this team. That's it. I wouldn't call that going to great lengths to defend him.

Fin was as up and down as they come and you'd bring him back now if you could. It's just weird that KVH is the only post 2003 Mav that you made any connection with.
It makes YOU think he's a good player who has done a lot for this team. Objective viewers consider his body of work and figure that he's not worth much as an NBA player. In other words, Rashard Lewis and the like aren't getting traded for Jason Terry anytime soon.

I've "connected" with future Mavs greats since 2003. Benga and Pops and Barea come immediately to mind. I know that you'd like to make this about race, but it's not working.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:01 AM   #34
bcrav4
Golden Member

Quote:
Oh yeah, i forgot--no way does NJ take on Terry, they're hoping to move to Brooklyn and sign Lebron, so they'll need to be under the cap.

It will be funny to see if all these teams really do try to free up cap room for Lebron & D-Wade...I mean, there's only two of them after all.
I thought there was a 3rd person like Bosh, who also can opt out that summer? Bosh was born in Dallas...
Old 06-30-2008, 12:14 AM   #35
bgarrett
Banned

bgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Link

Link

bgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:28 AM   #36
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
OK I am sorry but to say that terry for Diop and change is a good idea...is Just stupid...period. To say that hes a cancer is even more stupid, and to say that hes comfortable is just as stupid because the guy has been yanked around soo much

soo that post of urs goes as the most stupid post ever in the forum, and when you consider some of the guys that have been on here over the last few years, thats really sad for you

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:31 AM   #37
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxdemxO
OK I am sorry but to say that terry for Diop and change is a good idea...is Just stupid...period. To say that hes a cancer is even more stupid, and to say that hes comfortable is just as stupid because the guy has been yanked around soo much

soo that post of urs goes as the most stupid post ever in the forum, and when you consider some of the guys that have been on here over the last few years, thats really sad for you
Your criticism, despite its crude nature, cuts so very, very deep...
Old 06-30-2008, 12:34 AM   #38
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

DUMBEST POST OF THE YEAR...

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS

Last edited by AxdemxO; 06-30-2008 at 12:35 AM.
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:36 AM   #39
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Let's pick up the all area Dallas team.

Starting 5
Deron Williams
CJ Miles
Sean Williams
Chris Bosh
Lamarcus Aldridge

The Bench
Jason Maxiell
Kenyon Martin
Acie Law
Ike Diogu

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:41 AM   #40
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxdemxO
DUMBEST POST OF THE YEAR...
Are you trying to get on my bad side?