Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-07-2006, 12:24 AM   #1
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default $ 15 million dollar payroll and still playing meaningful games in Sept. -

I admit that I've been tuned out of baseball for a couple of weeks now. I didn't realize until tonight that the Marlins are just 2 1/2 games back for the WC. The NL WC race is a bit of a joke this year, but that is still amazing.

$ 15 million dollars and still in it. That's incredible.

Congratulations to the Sanchez kid for his no-hitter tonight!

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 09-07-2006 at 12:25 AM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2006, 12:40 AM   #2
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Great no hitter by Sanchez, and the Marlins' success is astounding. To think people picked them to have onbe of the worst records in the league, and to have them still in the thick of things? Crazy.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 01:00 AM   #3
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the playoffs this week for my fantasy league, and I adroitly picked up Sanchez last night. Pretty good move, eh? I had him earlier in the year, too, when he ripped off a few good ones in a row.

Josh Johnson has stuck with me from day one. I got Hanley Ramirez in the Tejeda trade. All the guy does is score fantasy points.

I like the Marlins. A lot. Scrappy freakin' team.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 01:03 AM   #4
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Nice pickup chummy, I actually picked him up today, after I heard about the no-no. I have a first week bye this week

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 09-07-2006, 01:52 AM   #5
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
Nice pickup chummy, I actually picked him up today, after I heard about the no-no. I have a first week bye this week
You lucky schmo. I was in second place two weeks ago, but then I lost Manny and it seems recently I lost Hafner, and the rest of my team decided to magically stop hitting. I've been cutting guys left and right. It pains me to do it. Like Teahen, for example. I rode that dude. I cut Adam Dunn. Hell, I cut Ray Durham, but thankfully not until after he gave me two homeruns night before last. I'm in such a bind that I am just trying to find players to play on the off-day tomorrow, so that I can catch up some in the batting race. (My opponent has only five guys batting, I think.)

I've just been killed lately. I have both Rivera and Street, and you know what's going on with them. I included Jones in a big trade, and he has sucked ten tons of ass lately. Thank god I was able to pick up Lidge and Stanton recently. At least they are giving me *some* saves.

But my offense has gone to hell in a handbasket. After the first couple days this week, I was hitting .155. I am used to hitting .355!

I've been scouring the waiver wire, though. I may still have a chance this week.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:18 AM   #6
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Wow that sucks. I still wouldn't cut Durham and Dunn, they're prolly better than the FA's out there.

One guy in my league was in the top 2 the whole year, and then in the last week he played me and I blew him out. Clinched 1st for me, and dropped him to 4th

Old 09-07-2006, 09:26 AM   #7
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

too bad they're playing meaningful games in september in front of 6000 people.

pro sports fans in the south suck. here in jax, orlando, atlanta, miami - ugh!
Old 09-07-2006, 10:51 AM   #8
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmpeanut
too bad they're playing meaningful games in september in front of 6000 people.

pro sports fans in the south suck. here in jax, orlando, atlanta, miami - ugh!

I used to live in Jacksonville and I always found the Jaguar fans very very good fans. And my GOD are they obnoxious about FSU and Florida....who cares!!!!!
Old 09-10-2006, 12:10 AM   #9
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

thats incredible.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:39 PM   #10
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
I admit that I've been tuned out of baseball for a couple of weeks now. I didn't realize until tonight that the Marlins are just 2 1/2 games back for the WC. The NL WC race is a bit of a joke this year, but that is still amazing.

$ 15 million dollars and still in it. That's incredible.

Congratulations to the Sanchez kid for his no-hitter tonight!
I tuned out of baseball about 5 years ago. Didn't realize the Marlins still existed. Aren't they pretty much a minor league team now--developing young talent for major league teams to buy from them?
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:59 AM   #11
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
I used to live in Jacksonville and I always found the Jaguar fans very very good fans. And my GOD are they obnoxious about FSU and Florida....who cares!!!!!

well, cowboy fans saw how sorry jag fans are. booing leftwich in the first quarter of the first game of the year? and when the team dipped a couple years back, they went almost a full season with no sellouts and no home tv. now they have 4 sections tarped off to ensure no home blackouts (even though they still had two last year on their way to 12-4).

now, they will get behind some 'noles and gators. as long as you're talking football. they still have trouble selling tickets for hoops in tallahassee, unless duke is coming to town. used to be that way in gainesville, too, until eddie munster, i mean, billy donovan got there.

but for pro sports, ugh! the braves can't sell out playoff games, the marlins and d-rays can't draw 10,000. the pro football teams can sell tickets if they're winning, but if they go 8-8, the place is half full. and i never have problems getting tickets to see the mavs in orlando or atlanta.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:17 AM   #12
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in the ATL for four years. Terrible, terrible sports town. I was there at the Braves peak, and while they sold out a lot the first year they were good, it wasn't long before the novelty wore off and nobody went anymore. Nobody's ever gone to Falcons or Hawks games.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:41 AM   #13
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmpeanut
well, cowboy fans saw how sorry jag fans are. booing leftwich in the first quarter of the first game of the year? and when the team dipped a couple years back, they went almost a full season with no sellouts and no home tv. now they have 4 sections tarped off to ensure no home blackouts (even though they still had two last year on their way to 12-4).

now, they will get behind some 'noles and gators. as long as you're talking football. they still have trouble selling tickets for hoops in tallahassee, unless duke is coming to town. used to be that way in gainesville, too, until eddie munster, i mean, billy donovan got there.
That's too bad. You know,when I was there 8 years ago, the Jaguars were still new and Mark Brunell and company were very very good. That was about the time they got deep in the AFC playoffs.

Too bad the fans suck now. Sorry to hear it....
Old 09-11-2006, 08:58 AM   #14
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi
I tuned out of baseball about 5 years ago. Didn't realize the Marlins still existed. Aren't they pretty much a minor league team now--developing young talent for major league teams to buy from them?
And yet they have two world series since the yankees last won one. Their gm is easily the best in baseball. All he is missing is a book.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote