Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-16-2006, 09:47 PM   #1
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all
Question Hamstring Injury Epidemic??

The hamstring injuries this year have been epidemic. Why are the Mavs suffering so many injuries while other teams do not?

SERIOUSLY, I think the Mavs need to look at the conditioning staff. On Dallasmavericks.com I read a bio that was on the website a month or so ago, where the trainer wrote up their background and expoused a philosophy where you build oneself from within.

These hamstring problems could be a fluke, but there are simply too many this year. It is possible that there is something that the training staff is doing or failing to do to prevent these injuries. This sounds way off base, but without a doubt these hamstring injuries have cost the Mavs the #1 seed. If the Mavs are unable to advance to the Finals and beyond due to these injuries, than the training staff and their procedures need to be reevaluated.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:57 PM   #2
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I agree.
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 09:59 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

It's dumb luck. The idea of looking at the training staff is always a good one, but teams do that annually anyways. Fluke injury trends like this happen every year in professional sports.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:06 PM   #4
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

fwiw, Brad Davis seems to think that Daniels was kept out as a precautionary measure.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:24 PM   #5
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

We need to steal the Piston's training staff.
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 11:52 PM   #6
sp3nc3r13

sp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrav4
We need to steal the Piston's training staff.
i agree.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:05 AM   #7
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Sore leg forces Harris to bench

Doctors advise time off; Johnson won't call situation a setback

By RACHEL COHEN / The Dallas Morning News

The Mavericks had a strategy for easing guard Devin Harris back into the lineup after he missed 17 straight games with a strained left quadriceps.

But that plan took what coach Avery Johnson called a detour, when Thursday's game and the ensuing practice left Harris sore and doctors recommended that he sit out Sunday night's meeting with the Utah Jazz.

"You're concerned any time a guy is injured and you have a timetable and are not able to hit those kind of goals," Johnson said.

Johnson declined to call it a setback, saying it would only be one if Harris is unavailable for the playoffs.

The new plan calls for Harris to rest again today, then go through a light practice Tuesday and try to play in the season finale against the Clippers on Wednesday.

After Harris returned to the lineup for the first time in more than a month with seven first-half minutes at Phoenix, Johnson had hoped to use him for seven minutes in each half Sunday.

Johnson said he is optimistic that Harris will be ready for the playoffs, but he's not sure how many minutes he will be able to play.

"We've taken the most conservative approach I've ever seen with that type of injury, trying to give us the best chance to have him 100 percent," Johnson said.

"But injuries and the way the body responds – nobody has a patent on that. ... His body is different from Josh Howard's and Dirk's and my body."

Losing never an option for Johnson: Johnson is relieved he doesn't face the dilemma confronting the Clippers and Grizzlies, where losing could prove beneficial because they would host the Nuggets in the playoffs as the No. 6 seed instead of being the road team against the Mavericks as the No. 5.

"You just play it out, because you're just trying to win as many games as you can," Johnson said. "Wherever you land in the playoffs, you've got to go out and play anyway. I just couldn't see myself doing anything but giving 1,000 percent on the sideline."

Briefly: Marquis Daniels did not play in the second half because of a sore left hamstring. ... Utah rookie guard Deron Williams of The Colony had 16 points on 7-of-11 shooting and nine assists.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 03:17 AM   #8
Milles

Milles will become famous soon enoughMilles will become famous soon enough

Fish seems to think Harris' injury could be a problem.

Quote:
You heard it here first: Mavs point guard Devin Harris' quad injury is worse -- waaaay worse -- than anybody from the Mavs is willing to admit in public. Waaaay worse. There will be an MRI on Monday, and maybe the private concerns will be quieted by good news. But brace yourself for the sort of injury-related monkey wrench that completely alters Dallas' playoff rotation plans.
http://www.dallasbasketball.com/home_display.asp
Milles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 04:34 AM   #9
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

From the FWST:
Quote:
Van Horn still out

There is still no timetable on forward Keith Van Horn's return from his broken right hand that required surgery. Van Horn had a screw inserted at the base of his hand near his thumb that will not be removed.

Van Horn is wearing a splint and has begun cardio work and hand rehabilitation -- nothing related to basketball.

The Mavs will have to decide on Van Horn's status before Thursday afternoon, when playoff rosters are due. Teams can carry 13-man rosters.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:05 AM   #10
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You heard it here first: Mavs point guard Devin Harris' quad injury is worse -- waaaay worse -- than anybody from the Mavs is willing to admit in public. Waaaay worse. There will be an MRI on Monday, and maybe the private concerns will be quieted by good news. But brace yourself for the sort of injury-related monkey wrench that completely alters Dallas' playoff rotation plans.
Great. Just great. And this is the guy we drafted to replace Nash because we thought Nash would break down. Two years later, Nash just keeps on humming, racking up MVP's as he goes, and this kid can't even stay on the floor. For shame, for shame...
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:20 AM   #11
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

Time to get a new trainer? mabey, mabey they need to teach these kids how to stretch properly.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:28 AM   #12
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Harris is the most athletic player on the team. He has the quickest first step on the team. Hopefully it just is soreness and a precaution. Luckily he has the last gtame of the regular season and the first round toget ready for the Spurs.

Devin needs to put on some weight. He needs to be 210 or some such.

Last edited by jayC; 04-17-2006 at 10:29 AM.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:50 AM   #13
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Interesting. I remember posting in one of the threads about being sick and tired of hearing about certain players (Griffin mainly) returning only to find them in street clothes again. A few replied with something like why would the Mavs lie about injuries? What would that benefit?
Old 04-17-2006, 12:28 PM   #14
kriD
Platinum Member

Maybe it was Johnson's fault the injuries got worse by rushing guys back? Remember earlier in the season when AJ tried to establish an intense (IMHO quite naive) "playing through injuries" mentality? Here's what the Star-Telegram wrote on Jan. 21, 2006:
Quote:
Avery Johnson admits his natural instinct is to rush injured players back.

"I would love to be more aggressive at getting guys back on the floor because that's how I was," Johnson said, referring to his playing career.

"David Robinson wouldn't let me miss games. There were three or four nights a year where I just couldn't go, but he'd sit up there chewing his bubble gum reading a Shakespeare book saying 'Does it hurt?' I'd say, 'Yeah.' 'Can you run?' 'Yes.' 'Well, we'll see you out there.'"
Maybe that backfired and now they try to hide it...