Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-24-2018, 08:38 AM   #11
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
I've said it before but every time I read about or watch Doncic, I seriously think he would fit this team and RC like a glove and the fact he is without a doubt one of the top 5 players in this draft just really makes him perfect to me. I'm rooting for him being the guy, I'd obviously take any of them but I don't think any of the top 5 guys would fit and have the impact on this team like Doncic. If we somehow won the 1st pick we prolly won't take him over one of the bigs and I'll be happy with any of them like I said but man crush levels is reaching ridiculous proportions with Doncic and the idea that we could have a young do it all guy that could fit with any lineup we throw out there without sacrificing anything like we currently do.

There I go getting my hopes up again... damn you people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_3_Ball View Post
^^^ LOL

I just watched about an hour of highlights on Doncic and watched some highlights of player comps. I had heard Doncic is a playmaker, shooter, with incredible court vision. I really didn't see the court vision, not on a spectacular level. He shows flashes. What I did see is an incredible handle and a guy who can get wherever he wants to on the floor. One of the best comps I saw was Brandon Roy. I think the way he moves with the ball on the floor is very similar to Roy.

What worries me about Doncic is he seems to need to have the ball in his hand at all times. He obviously has a green light with his team, like all the time, and he takes some very bad shots. I think it's fair to question whether he & DSJ can co-exist like that, but to be honest, as ball dominant as Doncic is, he's going to have to learn how to play without the ball no matter what team he goes to.

I still really, REALLY like the guy & I'm like you. I kinda hope the Mavs land him, maybe even more than I'm hoping for Ayton. It's kinda 1 & 1A for me. I think his poor shot selection is a symptom of his youth, and if you can fix that & teach him to play a bit more under control, you have the makings of a generational 2 guard on your hands. At times he even reminds me of T-Mac, if T-Mac played below the rim.
I dunno, Doncic is kinda souring on me the more I actually watch him -- I've seen a couple full games now and not just highlights... The Euro competition just looks vastly inferior to what I'm seeing at the college level, and I fear that a lot of this kid's weaknesses are going to be exposed in the NBA. Like, he gets a lot of assists, but his passing lanes are largely unhindered. He's a good ball handler and crafty at getting to the hoop, which mitigates his lack of athleticism, but I'm not seeing a ton of athleticism in his competition either, which makes me wonder if he can still pull it off against NBA players. He's able to use his size to make up for his poor lateral movement on defense, but he isn't really strong enough to get away with that in the NBA... And I do wonder how effective he'll be on offense without having the ball in his hands all the time, especially since he isn't exactly the most efficient shooter -- his game seems to be fairly reliant on volume at the moment.

Not that I think he'll be an outright bust or anything, but I do worry more and more about how his abilities are going to translate to the NBA level, especially if he's next to a ball-dominant guard like DSJ. Sure he's young and has plenty of room for growth, but I'm just not seeing a raw skillset that's going to dominate against superior competition the way I do with Ayton, Bamba, or even Mikal Bridges... Basically, you need to be either extremely athletic or extremely efficient to be a star in the NBA, and Doncic is neither.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-24-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote