Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 06-11-2004, 04:41 PM   #1
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future
Default Cowboys Sign WR Dedric Ward ...perhaps signaling a near exit for A. Bryant?

Cowboys Sign WR Dedric Ward

MICKEY SPAGNOLA
DallasCowboys.com Columnist
June 11, 2004, 2:20 p.m. (CDT)

IRVING, Texas - Knowing they are short on experienced receivers, experienced return candidates and likely need some insurance at wide receiver after the latest blowup with Antonio Bryant, the Cowboys are expected to sign veteran receiver Dedric Ward on Friday.

The seven-year veteran is another of a long-line of "former" Bill Parcells players to find their way to Dallas. Ward was drafted by the New York Jets in 1997, and spent four years with the Jets before moving on for two years with the Dolphins. Ward spent the first part of last season with Baltimore, and then signed with New England, where he finished with seven catches for 106 yards in four games.

This expected move, though, should not be interpreted as the end of the line for Bryant, who was kicked out of an off-season practice on Tuesday following a heated confrontation with Parcells. Bryant has not attended the team's last two workouts - Friday's was called off by Parcells - and according to sources, has returned home to Miami. His absence from the workouts the past two days, though, signifies more of a cooling off period for both sides than Bryant continuing to defy authority.

Ward, though, would not exactly be considered a viable third-receiver candidate, or cushion enough to trade or release Bryant. He has only 166 career catches for 2,302 yards and 12 touchdowns during his seven-year career.

************************************************** ********************************
For those who want more info on exactly what happened between Parcells and Antonio Bryant: Cowboys, Bryant Chilling Out For Now

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2004, 04:45 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Cowboys Sign WR Dedric Ward ...perhaps signaling a near exit for A. Bryant?

I like Dedric. Excellent signing. And yes, I would imagine that Bryant has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. I think what it signals is that Parcells is more than willing to let Bryant rot at the #4.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 05:10 PM   #3
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Cowboys Sign WR Dedric Ward ...perhaps signaling a near exit for A. Bryant?

At this point nothing that happens to AB would surprise me. Rot at #4, get cut, get traded, earn a starting job...whatever. My guess is that he will be a Cowboy this whole year, but his "role" might be Bill Parcells's personal whipping boy.

Here's a news article that gives some interesting insight into this situation:

Parcells usually forgives outbursts
Web Posted: 06/11/2004 12:00 AM CDT
Tom Orsborn
San Antonio Express-News

Experience tells him Bill Parcells probably won't hold a grudge.

But a former New York Giants star who played for Parcells in the 1980s isn't sure whether Dallas Cowboys receiver Antonio Bryant can work his way out of the coach's doghouse without an attitude adjustment.

"It's one thing to want to play," said Harry Carson, a nine-time Pro Bowl linebacker. "But it's another thing to be about 'me' and 'I.'

"The best way to deal with Bill is to understand the whole concept of team and to understand that everyone on the team has a role. If Antonio is the No. 3 receiver, he has to understand that that is the role he has to play."

An altercation between Bryant and Parcells on Tuesday during a voluntary practice in Irving has attracted the attention of several former players with ties to Parcells, who coached the Giants from 1983-90.

The incident began when Bryant complained on the field about his role as the team's No. 3 receiver behind Keyshawn Johnson and Terry Glenn. After arguing with Johnson and receivers coach Todd Haley, Bryant got into it with Parcells, who eventually kicked the Pittsburgh alumnus out of practice.

Bryant hasn't returned to Valley Ranch to participate in any of the team's voluntary workouts this week, but his gear remains in his locker. One of his agents told ESPN the Cowboys would not trade or release Bryant and that any discipline would be handled internally.

The team's Web site said that Bryant's absence from the closed practices represents, "a cooling off period rather than continued petulance on his part or an indication that his services are no longer wanted by Parcells."

The Dallas Morning News reported Thursday that Bryant is in Miami and is not expected to practice today.

"I talked to Antonio for an hour last night," Bryant's mother, Irene, told the Morning News. "I told him that respect has to be given before it is received. I'm hoping and praying for the best."

For former Giants like Carson and George Martin, it came as no surprise that Parcells would exchange angry words with one of his players. Although he is a strict disciplinarian who demands a player's best effort at all times, Parcells usually tolerates players bold enough to argue with him.

"We had yelling contests with him all the time," said Martin, a defensive end for the Giants from 1975-88. "Bill has always said a player isn't worth his salt if he doesn't bristle or come back at you. He doesn't necessarily mind his players being confrontational.

"This is much to do about nothing, to be honest with you. This situation will blow over, especially if (Bryant) has talent. What happened is not necessarily a negative. It might be a negative to the outside world, but not to Bill. He likes that kind of (competitiveness) in his players."

Carson, who played for the Giants from 1976-88, agreed.

"Bill likes guys who are (confrontational), though not to the detriment of the team," Carson said. "He likes players who are passionate about wanting to play and he wants those guys around. What he doesn't like are players who just want to do enough to get three meals and a cot, as he says."

Still, Carson warned that Parcells does not tolerate players who don't accept their roles and thereby ruin team chemistry.

"He understands those players and their frustrations," Carson said, "but players have to understand that they have to suppress their ego for the betterment of the team."

Bryant has a history of mood swings and volatile sideline tantrums, but the Cowboys can ill afford to lose him because they have little depth at receiver after the top three.

Bryant garnered NFL All-Rookie honors in 2002, finishing with 44 receptions for 733 yards and six touchdowns while recording 15 starts.

Last season, he started only five games and finished with 39 catches for 550 yards and two TDs.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 05:49 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Cowboys Sign WR Dedric Ward ...perhaps signaling a near exit for A. Bryant?

I don't see him getting cut. I think he has two strikes against him, but I do believe that Parcells will allow him to be in a situation that allows him to succeed going into this season.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 11:16 AM   #5
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
I don't see him getting cut. I think he has two strikes against him, but I do believe that Parcells will allow him to be in a situation that allows him to succeed going into this season.

I agree Murphy, Parcells has never been the type of coach to hold a grudge.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 01:12 PM   #6
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I wonder why was Derek Ross cut then? I think this is Bill learning his lesson the first go around.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 02:10 PM   #7
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I like the Dedric Ward signing, too. Here's some info on the guy...

In 1997 Bill traded the #1 pick in the draft to the Rams, in exchange for the #5 pick and the Rams' choices in the 3rd, 4th, and 7th rounds. Ward was taken with that 3rd round pick. The Rams took Orlando Pace with the Jets pick. The Jets traded down one more time, to #8, and selected LB James Farrior, now with the Steelers.

In his first NFL game, Ward caught 3 passes for 51 yards and a touchdown. He played sparingly the rest of his rookie year, but he did have a 6-catch, 108-yard game against the Dolphins. Finished the season with 18 catches, 212 yards, and one touchdown.

He opened the 1998 season with 5 catches and 96 yards in a loss to San Francisco. That was his most productive game, but he finished a solid sophomore season with 25 catches for 477 yards and 4 touchdowns. He averaged close to 20 yards a catch. He also caught 5 passes for 61 yards in the AFC championship game.

In 1999 he was forced into a starting role when Wayne Chrebet was injured in the final pre-season game. He played well for five games, until Chrebet returned to the lineup.

His best year came in 2000 for the Jets, when he started all 16 games and caught 54 passes for 801 yards and 3 touchdowns. He began that season with a bang, going for two consecutive 100-yard games--including a big Monday Night Football game at New England. He finished the 2000 season with the best game of his career, catching 8 passes for 147 yards and a touchdown in a losing effort on the road against the #1-ranked Baltimore defense.

Went to Miami in 2001 and had a couple non-productive years. Signed with Baltimore in 2003 but never played a game. Then signed with New England late last season and made a decent contribution--including a 2-catch, 50-yard, 1-touchdown game in a big win at Indianapolis.

Good third-down receiver and a bit of a game-breaking threat. Has some experience returning punts.

It's interesting to note we now have three of the guys from that 1998 Jets offense on the team. Their stats that year:

Testaverde
259 competions from 421 attempts, 62%
3256 yards
29 touchdowns
7 interceptions
101.6 rating

Keyshawn Johnson
83 catches
1131 yards
13.6 ypc
10 touchdowns
60 catches for first downs

Dedric Ward
25 catches
477 yards
19.1 ypc
4 touchdowns
22 catches for first downs

Now if we could only get a running back to go for 1300 yards like Curtis Martin did, we're good to go!
Old 06-12-2004, 02:41 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
I wonder why was Derek Ross cut then? I think this is Bill learning his lesson the first go around.
I believe the Derek Ross and the Bryant issues are probably completely different. Bryant has some on the field issues that the Cowboys believe they can keep under control. Alot of Ross'sssss issues were off the field.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:03 PM   #9
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Cowboys Sign WR Dedric Ward ...perhaps signaling a near exit for A. Bryant?

Plus Bryant has more potential as a player. Bill, like Jimmy, has a sliding discipline scale.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:33 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Well, Ross was definitely a player that could significantly help the Cowboys when he was released. He was one of the best rookie corners in the NFL the season before. He definitely had some potential as well.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:57 PM   #11
chumdawg
Guru

Is Ross currently unemployed?
Old 06-12-2004, 07:51 PM   #12
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

He's a backup with the corner starved Falcons.
Old 06-12-2004, 07:56 PM   #13
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Well, Ross was definitely a player that could significantly help the Cowboys when he was released. He was one of the best rookie corners in the NFL the season before. He definitely had some potential as well.
True. I just got the feeling that Bill never liked Ross as a player as much as the rest of us did. From training camp when he referred to Ross as a "street player", to the weekly Ross updated when it seem that Bill was in no hurry to get him back on the field. If Bryant is cut, I think it will be because Parcells doesn't think he can make a player out of him.

I hope they can work it out the way Bill and LA appear to have.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:36 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Quote:
True. I just got the feeling that Bill never liked Ross as a player as much as the rest of us did. From training camp when he referred to Ross as a "street player", to the weekly Ross updated when it seem that Bill was in no hurry to get him back on the field. If Bryant is cut, I think it will be because Parcells doesn't think he can make a player out of him.

I hope they can work it out the way Bill and LA appear to have.
I can completely buy that. However, I do believe that he definitely had the talent to be a starter in the Cowboys secondary for at least 4-5 years.