Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 02-17-2007, 08:01 PM   #1
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute
Default Charles Barkley v. Dick Bavetta footrace & Shaq Dancing.

ANYONE KNOW WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN? SATURDAY? SUNDAY? WHAT TIME?

more info:
http://www.truehoop.com/leaguewide-i...k-bavetta.html

Charles Barkley vs. Dick Bavetta

Posted by Kelly Dwyer

Apparently this Dick Bavetta vs. Charles Barkley race is a go, and I have to admit, I think we’re all going to be disappointed a little bit. I’m the first guy that’s probably come out with this, but, Charles is probably going to win.

For those who aren’t up on this, during a Kings/Lakers snooze-fest from a few weeks ago (it was a close game, but both teams combined to shoot, I think, 14-trillion free throws), Barkley provided the color analysis for TNT. Subbing for an injured Steve Kerr, Barkley took advantage of one of many breaks in the action to ridicule referee Dick Bavetta’s age (67), bragging that he could the beat well-regarded Brooklyn native in a foot race. Most laughed at Chuck’s claim, and for good reason: he’s out of shape (though not as much as he was three years ago), and could be seen huffing and puffing while trying to negotiate the steps of the New Orleans Superdome during a telecast last December.

After Bavetta got wind of the boast and offered a five thousand dollar bounty to a charity of Chuck’s choice for a wager, Barkley apparently agreed to a race on the weekend of the NBA All-Star game, which is on February 18th. Now, by “disappointed,” I don’t mean that the bulk of tuning-in viewers (including myself) are waiting for a chance to see Chuck get his come-uppance. Far from it. He’s a good dude who says some silly things, sometimes. I just don’t think we’ll get to see the sort of race that we thought possible upon hearing Barkley’s boast on January 4th.

With a month to prepare, Charles will train. He’ll get into shape. He’ll hit the treadmill and cut back on the appletinis and get his act together in time to make a show of it on the All-Star break. That isn’t much of a sacrifice (appletinis are gross), and Charles has shown a renewed enthusiasm towards staying in shape over the last year or so. If the race would have taken on place on, say, January 4th, then Bavetta would have swept the floor with Chuck. That probably won’t be the case on February 17th (or whenever they host it).

Topping that, anyone can win a sprint. If Charles and Dick raced from one baseline to another, Charles would have a chance to out-sprint Bavetta before crumbling into a heap. If the race was from baseline to baseline, and back – then we’d see a truer representation of who the better athlete is. I felt that back on January 4th, but all anyone has ever talked about is a 94-foot sprint. Let’s make this worth watching. Let them race to the other end of the court, and back, and let America be the real winner.

Last edited by nikeball; 02-18-2007 at 10:53 PM.
nikeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I'm going with Bavetta, he ran pretty fast down the court during the Mavs-Rox game.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:01 PM   #3
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I heard they were going to go baseline and back, or somesuch. Anyone know?

At any rate, my money is on Barkley too.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:06 PM   #4
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

I wonder that there is no v-bookie-bet? I think Bavetta wins. He´s a little old but Barkley is to fat.

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs

Last edited by Dr.Zoidberg; 02-17-2007 at 09:08 PM.
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:14 PM   #5
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

lol. i checked for a vbookie bet too. sigh.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:32 PM   #6
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

This is happening right now! About to start as I post. Black Rhino!!! LOL

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:33 PM   #7
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

My money is on Dick
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:33 PM   #8
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Dang! Bavetta's quite sensitive. Funny comment by Sir Charles. " I dont have anything against old people, I want to be one someday." LOL

Old 02-17-2007, 09:34 PM   #9
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

Dick's getting it on!!! Having a lil trouble taking his sweats off. LOL

Old 02-17-2007, 09:35 PM   #10
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

Cmon Man!

Old 02-17-2007, 09:35 PM   #11
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

Time to alert the Medics!!!

Old 02-17-2007, 09:36 PM   #12
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Dangit. That court seemed really short. Was that a full-sized court?
Kirobaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:37 PM   #13
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

Barkley the running ball lightning!

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:37 PM   #14
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

lol
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:39 PM   #15
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Paging Tim Hardaway.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:39 PM   #16
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

bavetta slipped charles the tongue.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:42 PM   #17
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

LMAO hahahahaha

Old 02-17-2007, 09:42 PM   #18
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Ahh man that was great lol. I hate refs but Bavetta seems like a good guy. Barkley had a nice couple of quotables in that segment lol.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:53 PM   #19
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
Ahh man that was great lol. I hate refs but Bavetta seems like a good guy. Barkley had a nice couple of quotables in that segment lol.
I thought Dick came off as kind of a dick. It was cool of him to agree to it, but man, have some fun out there...
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:01 PM   #20
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

^^^^I just think he took it too serious. Or made it look that way anyway. Refs can only do or say so much because that's actually my view of all refs. They're all d***. He just needed to make sure he made out of that arena safe and being alongside Barkley was a start lol.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:01 PM   #21
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crippler
I thought Dick came off as kind of a dick. It was cool of him to agree to it, but man, have some fun out there...

I agree completely with your asessment.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:12 PM   #22
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Barkley kissed dick on national TV.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:13 PM   #23
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
^^^^I just think he took it too serious. Or made it look that way anyway. Refs can only do or say so much because that's actually my view of all refs. They're all d***. He just needed to make sure he made out of that arena safe and being alongside Barkley was a start lol.
I couldn't have said it better. All refs seem to be definitely be d****.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:21 PM   #24
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcity
Barkley kissed dick on national TV.
That's nothing--when Dirk was asked who he thought would win, he abruptly changed the subject and said "I'll take dick."
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:12 PM   #25
nikeball
Platinum Member

I think...refs have to be serious...if they arent serious...then they wont be respected by players. They need to be hard and stick with their decisions.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:27 AM   #26
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeball
I think...refs have to be serious...if they arent serious...then they wont be respected by players. They need to be hard and stick with their decisions.
Dick needs to be hard.

Man, wayyyyy to many Richard jokes.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:08 AM   #27
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I think Bavetta was jokingly being overly serious.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:00 AM   #28
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
I think Bavetta was jokingly being overly serious.
I agree. He was a lot looser after the race. I think he was messing around before.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:53 PM   #29
nikeball
Platinum Member

for those who didnt see Shaq dance. he has got some moves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwob1gm-_Hw
Old 02-19-2007, 12:21 AM   #30
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:

Lol, that was great.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:36 AM   #31
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

D12 can move...
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:37 AM   #32
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

i cant believe they let a man that slow ref an nba game.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:42 AM   #33
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

impressive but no match for the boys in my sig
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:02 AM   #34
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

Did anyone see Sir Charles and Dick give each other a smack on the lips?

Old 02-19-2007, 12:11 PM   #35
nikeball
Platinum Member

that is bavetta's ritual..before each game he gives the announcers a peck on the cheek. just his thing.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:13 PM   #36
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

its guy love...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:15 PM   #37
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

Quote:
that is bavetta's ritual..before each game he gives the announcers a peck on the cheek. just his thing.
On the cheek I know, but not on the lips? Would you kiss Bavetta on his lips? hahaha LMAO

Last edited by mqywaaah; 02-19-2007 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:16 PM   #38
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
its guy love...

Eww.... more like Amaechi love. haha

Old 02-19-2007, 01:46 PM   #39
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan
Dick needs to be hard.

Man, wayyyyy to many Richard jokes.
stop...i just can't take any more dick.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:07 PM   #40
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

How about Andy Dick jokes?