Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-27-2005, 02:26 PM   #1
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default Poll:If Fin is Cut, What do you think the Mavs record will be next year?

If the Mavs continue with their plans to release Fin so they can potentially save on luxary tax and obtain savings if someone signs Fin for more than the vet minimum, what do you think the Mavs record will be next year?
Old 06-27-2005, 02:34 PM   #2
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Poll:If Fin is Cut, What do you think the Mavs record will be next year?

im calling a 60win season after the mavs go through aj's training camp

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 02:37 PM   #3
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Poll:If Fin is Cut, What do you think the Mavs record will be next year?

I can't even begin to try to predict how the Mavs will do next year without seeing what other moves they make.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:39 PM   #4
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all
Default RE: Poll:If Fin is Cut, What do you think the Mavs record will be next year?

We have no way of knowing or even predicting because it is June 27th. Training camp does not start for over 3 months and deals will be made before then.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 03:14 PM   #5
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

I said 60 wins. They were too good last year with tons of injury problems and a change of coach. I can only see them getting better, even without Finley. Right now, there's about nothing I want more than Finley to be with this ball club until he retires.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 03:21 PM   #6
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all

They'll be fine without Finley
Old 06-27-2005, 04:05 PM   #7
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Poll:If Fin is Cut, What do you think the Mavs record will be next year?

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
I can't even begin to try to predict how the Mavs will do next year without seeing what other moves they make.
OK try it on the assumption that we don't use the MLE and sign only minimum wage talent. I hope that's not the case, but it sure looks like Cuban is doing everything to improve his cash flow and not a hell of a lot to help the Mavs win. To me it looks like we're heading for rebuilding. Maybe Cubes thinks that the Mavs have no chance until Duncan retires.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:12 PM   #8
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

I said 52 wins, but some of you guys are pretty damn optimistic...can't say I dislike it...to early to decide at this point what the effects are going to be.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:13 PM   #9
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

LRB, if the Mavs really mail it in that way they could conceivably drop below 50 wins. I think that's fairly unlikely, though, as there are enough other opportunities for internal improvement from recent acquisitions and young guys to keep the bottom from falling out. If I had to speculate how many wins Fin might be worth next year with the rest of the 2/3 rotation remaining as it is, I'd guess somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 wins (which doesn't necessarily mean a 53 win season).
Old 06-27-2005, 04:18 PM   #10
LRB
Guru

GMC that's about what I thought, 52. I do think that if it comes to either of our guesses and I'll admit that it's still very much a guess, that it will cost us homecourt advantage in the playoffs. That could lead to another 1st round loss and no lottery pick as a consolation. I just don't like the way the franchise is moving right now. Even if we get somebody great, it will still likely leave us wondering what could have been if only we'd kept Fin. Still I wouldn't be happier to be proven completely wrong. I'm just not holding out a lot of hope for that.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:05 PM   #11
Folterkammer

Folterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really nice

i voted 59 . I´am optimistic that marquis and devin mature in the summer league and we have just too many pieces right now to make good moves to not improve our roster (can`t see cubes not dealing two big expiring contracts in kvh and jet ). avery will teach them real defense and if jet ( or whoever will play pg for the mavs next season ) and dirk learn to play the pick and roll together we have a good chance of gettin more wins than 04-05
Old 06-27-2005, 07:12 PM   #12
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I voted 55. Still good, but still a step backwards, and a smaller chance of winning it all. I don't like this one bit. I wish to God some kind of miracle would happen. Sorta like when the Lakers who already had won a title with Magic, stole Cleveland's no. 1 pick and landed James Worthy.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 07:16 PM   #13
LRB
Guru

Good thing for laker fans back then that Cuban didn't own the Lakers. He'd have probably released Magic in order to have money to sign Worthey or at least that's the story he would have given. And he would probably have traded Kareem for Billy "the whopper" Paultz to some some more dough.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:26 PM   #14
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

Because Magic and Michael are on the same level.......

You won't see Cuban do this with Nowitzki.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 07:40 PM   #15
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

45 wins. First round exit.

Because I'm tired of seeing players go for nothing.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 08:12 PM   #16
TheBlameGame

TheBlameGame is on a distinguished road

IMO I don't see much of a change without Finley.
TheBlameGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 08:20 PM   #17
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, I don't see much in the way of change either.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:27 PM   #18
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

My fear is that losing Finley put us in the same boat as Denver and Indiana, among other teams, i.e. we wouldn't be dangerous from 3 pt. land.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:30 AM   #19
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll say that 57 regular season wins for a Finley-less Mav's squad sounds about right to me, but the Ghost of the old FinDog will probably be certain to visit a dire and unforgiving revenge upon our Mavs if we end up being unfortunate enough to meet him in the playoffs next year...
Old 06-28-2005, 08:12 AM   #20
Redbug

Redbug is on a distinguished road

I picked 52 games.....although I don't think keeping or losing Finley will have any effect on the total number of games won or lost....he's just that much of a NON FACTOR these days....the 52-30 record will be more of a reflection of how the west is going to be even tougher this year and the Mavs lack of passing and "non balanced" roster will result in a few more L's against the ever improving competition....
Redbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 08:41 AM   #21
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, who are the two people who think the Mavs will win less than 40 games next year?

Come on...be a man!

Or..uh...be a woman!

Whatever, I'm not particularly thrilled about the way this is going down, and I'll admit it leaves a bad taste in my mouth as a fan. But this chicken little stuff just seems ridiculous.

Did we do a similar poll last year? Did anyone guess that losing Nash would "net" the Mavs 6 games? No, it doesn't really work that way. While subtracting one variable, the others don't stay the same, and I see alot of room for improvement within on this team, even without Finley. Outside shooting will be a concern, but just add that to the list of concerns we already have, like defense and ball movement. All of these issues will need to be addressed.

I don't know how many games the Mavs will win next year. I don't know if they will have homecourt in the first round of the playoffs. But this does NOT make them a lottery team....furthermore it is no indication that Cuban wishes this to be a lotto team.

Since i wanted to see the results, and I'm generallly optimistic (because the rangers are falling apart, and I need to feel optimistic about SOMETHING damnit), I picked 55 wins.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 09:22 AM   #22
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: mary
Ok, who are the two people who think the Mavs will win less than 40 games next year?

Come on...be a man!

Or..uh...be a woman!
I'd like to know who picked over 65 wins as well!

When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 04:08 PM   #23
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

The Mavericks will pay for dumping Nash, Finley and Bradley out on their ass.

The number 44 comes back to haunt the backstabbing, Stalinist owner this year.

I guarantee you the other teams in the west will be adding talent to their teams, not stripping it away.

No point guard, no center, no veteran leadership means lottery for the Mavericks, and humiliation for Mark "what have you done for me lately" Cuban.

madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 04:12 PM   #24
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

LOL madape predicted that last year too. Lottery my ass.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 04:47 PM   #25
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

56 wins, and we're going all the way next year.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 05:00 PM   #26
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
LOL madape predicted that last year too. Lottery my ass.
Yeah, so did Cuban.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:05 PM   #27
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I never read that.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 05:07 PM   #28
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice

If we can win 4 more games after losing Nash, I am sure we can win 8 more games after losing Fin. 62 games.
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 05:14 PM   #29
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Since the offseason has just begun, I can't really predict the Maverick's record for the upcoming season, but I know that if Finley is let go, potentially our record will be better.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 05:27 PM   #30
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: alby
Since the offseason has just begun, I can't really predict the Maverick's record for the upcoming season, but I know that if Finley is let go, potentially our record will be better.
And potentially monkee's might spontaneously start flying out of my @$$. Potentially doesn't equal probably. You don't get better by throwing away good talent and then subsidizing the payment of talent for your competition allowing them to get more for their buck. Sure we might have a better record, but it's very unlikely unless we pull a steal of a trade.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:34 PM   #31
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

I'll be very interested to see if the Mavs make a move in the draft tonight. If they can make a good move in the draft it could go a long way towards making up for Fin's release, if indeed it does come to pass.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:39 PM   #32
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
I'll be very interested to see if the Mavs make a move in the draft tonight. If they can make a good move in the draft it could go a long way towards making up for Fin's release, if indeed it does come to pass.
I really hope the Mavs do make a move in the draft. I think our frontline could definitely use more youth and athleticism (particularly because I have no hope for DJ) I would hate for us to miss out on an opportunity like this.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:48 PM   #33
madape
Diamond Member

The only movement Cuban and the Mavs made in the draft tonight was a bowel movement. Tonight was nothing but a waste of our time.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:57 PM   #34
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

That makes two summers in a row, then, since last year they chewed up Steve Nash and crapped out Erick Dampier.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote