Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 02-19-2003, 09:14 PM   #1
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

...Drew Gooden and Gordan Giricek.

Magic send Mike Miller and Ryan Humphrey to Memphis for Drew Gooden and Gordan Giricek.

So... to me, this means Gasol is off the block, and maybe the Stro Show even endeared himself to management.. or at least earned himself a stay?

The Magic now have frontcourt help.. The Grizz fill their SF spot with a solid player.. seems like a trade that favors the Magic, to me.. but I've seen so little of Gooden, I can't say.

Link
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2003, 09:29 PM   #2
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Magic's got this one. I like Mike's game though. With the Grizz he could put up 20 a game for them. It made sense for them to get Miller but this trade still gives Magic the edge. Maybe I am too high on Gordon becuase he lit our ass up but Gooden, T-Mac, Grant Hill? In the future that sounds nice with Gordon off the bench.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 09:54 PM   #3
centrlpark08

centrlpark08 is on a distinguished road

I think the magic's got the better end of this deal. Gooden for miller is a deal but girecek? Now their saying its miller, humphrey , 1st round pick and 2nd also for gooden and girecek.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:02 PM   #4
BrianJ

BrianJ is on a distinguished road

thanx for the post Rylan. I have been waiting for something anything to get the ball rolling. For a second I did not think there would be one single trade. Absolutely no unusual activity in the box scores tonight. This still might be the biggest though.
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 10:07 PM   #5
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

OK, I'll post my initial reaction over here....

I like Miller a lot and I'm going to hate seeing him four times a year now. Gooden, I'm not too convinced about. He does play PF, which is a tougher position to fill. But he to me he hasn't looked all that spectacular this year and I don't know if he's going to be the force everyone hoped he'd be. Swift is probably more physically gifted and has more of an upside than Gooden. Still with both Swift and Gasol at PF, I'm guessing the Grizzlies won't soon be looking back at Gooden as "the one that got away". On the other hand, this trade could backfire big-time on Orlando if Miller turns out to be a stud and Grant Hill never plays again. All in all, it's pretty speculative right now to think about which player will eventually be better. At least Miller has proven something. Memphis probably won't have their first rounder this year, so that pick could be important. They needed to do something to fill one of their holes. Miller is a great young player that will fit nicely into the youth movement in Memphis.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 10:13 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

My first reaction was "What the hell is Jerry West thinking?"
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 10:21 PM   #7
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

I'd been hoping that there was some way the Mavs could land Miller, but there probably never was.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 10:28 PM   #8
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

Steal for the Magic. They get a promising front court talent and Giricek can easily step in and fill Mike Miller's role. Wonder why the Grizz would want Miller though.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 10:29 PM   #9
centrlpark08

I'm not surprised to see miller leaving the magic. They dont even have a playoff spot and are three teams back from the 8th seed. Miller does help the grizzlies but he might not score as much as he used to with all the players that memphis has on their team. you got gasol and williams scoring alot then miller coming in. then you got battier and dickerson. Then you got swift and wright and watson? Geez they have so many players that can play but the team just sucks. The magic get gooden but now i'm starting to think that they really didnt get a good trade after all. gooden is a great player and so is girecek but they not only lose miller and humphrey but a 1st and 2nd round pick. I dunno i think this is an O.K. trade. This will also maybe start getting teams to trade.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:29 PM   #10
BrianJ

BrianJ is on a distinguished road

for the most part all 4 suck. I thought gooden might be ok coming out of college but he blows too. Glad it happened though.

I was willing to trade Rigo for Lakersmania just to see some action.
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 10:30 PM   #11
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

A side note... that Adidas commercial with all that pointing going on is now completely obsolete, featuring T-Mac, Miller, and Ho Grant. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 10:31 PM   #12
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Here's the ESPN recap...been with my son all day, so I'm just catching up !!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deal gives Grizzlies a shooter, Magic inside help
ESPN.com news services

Orlando and Memphis pulled off the first big trade before Thursday's NBA deadline, agreeing to a four-player deal that sent Mike Miller and Ryan Humphrey from the Magic to the Grizzlies for rookies Drew Gooden and Gordan Giricek. A news conference was scheduled for 10 p.m. ET Wednesday night to announce the trade. "While we are certainly sorry to see Mike move on, we have addressed our needs with the additions of Drew and Gordan," Magic GM John Gabriel said in a statement. "Drew brings size and athleticism to our frontline, while Gordan is an excellent perimeter shooter."

Added head coach Doc Rivers, "This is a tough business and Mike was one of my favorites. He, however, was the only way we could improve our basketball team. Obviously, anytime you can get size, you need to do it. I'm looking forward to coaching Drew and Gordan." Orlando is giving up its second-leading scorer, Miller, who was averaging 16.4 points as the second offensive option behind Tracy McGrady.

The Magic never envisioned having to use Miller, a small forward, as their second option, but the chronic ankle injury that sidelined Grant Hill indefinitely forced Miller into that role. It will now be filled by Gooden, the fourth overall selection in last year's draft. Gooden was averaging 12.1 points and 5.8 rebounds for the Grizzlies, but was not regarded as one of coach Hubie Brown's favorite players. The small forward's name had been coming up in trade rumors during recent days as the clock ticked down to Thursday's 3 p.m. ET deadline.

Giricek, a native of Croatia, averaged 11.2 points for Memphis.

Humphrey, a rookie from Notre Dame, appeared in 35 games for Orlando and averaged 1.8 points. He was shooting only 27 percent from the field.

Old 02-19-2003, 10:37 PM   #13
centrlpark08

Thanks OP, I was starting to wonder where you were?....O by the way Could you look on espn to see if dallas is on the trading chart?
Old 02-19-2003, 10:40 PM   #14
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Just posted some more Central...sorry, my son had another game this afternoon in his new AAU Selectleague ! I'm manning the battle stations tonight...next to the draft, this is a fun part of the year !!

And, yes, NVE is on the chart...check my thread on "Rumor Central"
Old 02-19-2003, 10:41 PM   #15
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

<< My first reaction was &quot;What the hell is Jerry West thinking?&quot; >>

Exactly my reaction. I was for sure West was gonna get a deal to bring Brand or some Clipper talent to the Grizz but I guess I was wrong. I like Mike and Ryan though I don't think they will have problems contributing to the Magic but I thought Drew Gooden for Mike Miller and Ryan Humphrey was a bit in favor of the Magic let alone adding Gorden.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 10:43 PM   #16
OutletPass
Diamond Member

Wonder why the Grizz would want Miller though.

I'm not sure if the Grizz are through, E22. Just my hunch...but West has coveted Miller for a long time...been a lot of reports on that going way back...the offers were always Wright/Swift and Giricek, rather than Gooden and Giricek.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:11 AM   #17
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

i personally think the grizz make out like bandits in this deal.

gooden hasnt been much. giricek has been a nice shooter who doesnt play D. should fit well w/ orlando. is it me, or is orlando building their team much like the mavs of a few years ago. all shooters with no ppl who D up.

miller is a stud in the making. humphrey is a nice player who can be a good glue guy. plus they get a #1 from the magic. whats not to like?

great deal by jerry west.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 01:03 AM   #18
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

I think that the Grizz got the best player of the4 in miller. The magic got the 2 very usable players and added much needed height and inside prescence. Both teams dealt from positions that they had an overabundance of talent to fill where they were lacking. It looks like a good trade to me for both parties. Time will tell who got the better end of the deal. Miller IMO has the best chance of the 4 to become a star though.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:26 AM   #19
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

I think Mike Miller is terribly average. Jumpshooter, not a remarkable jumpshooter, average rebounder, can't play defense. Makes a good sixth man, but not much else IMO. Gooden has potential to give Orlando even SOMETHING in there front court.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:02 PM   #20
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

geez, some say the grizz get the steal, others say orlando...

my take on this.

good for both teams. memphis had a jam at PF and C with 4 guys that essentially all play the same position (wright, stro, gasol, gooden). and geez, from the grizz games i've seen, as good as gooden is, he needs to get some brains. he makes some of the stupidest mistakes. he's a rookie, yes, but he's never met a shot he didn't like. they need a SF that can shoot, and they get that in miller. humphrey is going to be a ben wallace type player, IMO. grabbing boards and blocking shots, except with better offense. plus memphis gets picks! exactly what west wants!

whoever has gasol in fantasy leagues is very happy right now.

as for orlando. they replace some of the shooting that they lose in miller with giricek. and they need someone down low, which they get in gooden. and if grant hill can ever stay healthy, there's no longer a battle between he and miller.

i think memphis gets the better end of the deal (they solved player problems AND got picks), but orlando didn't get robbed or anything. works out well for both teams. what do y'all think?

i'm just mad the grizz don't have the &quot;Killer G's&quot; anymore... i made that up, you know.
Old 02-20-2003, 03:09 PM   #21
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

I trust Jerry West's judgement, but i think that's a dumb trade. Gordan and Gooden are going to be significant players one day, and I don't think Mike Miller's game is going to improve that much more. I think West gave up too much for Miller and Ryan.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 03:54 PM   #22
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

dude, he got PICKS, too! not just miller and humphrey!
Old 02-20-2003, 04:30 PM   #23
Epitome22
Golden Member

There is the possibility that he aquired Miller as a potential role player to compliment a free agent of the future.
Old 02-20-2003, 04:50 PM   #24
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Sorry but I think the Magic got this one too... Miller is good offensively but TERRIBLE defensively and as good as he is offensively, he's streaky... Which I don't think will be a good combination with him and Williams. Both of them are streaky and if they're both off, it's NOT going to be a good night for the Grizzlies.

Now Orlando on the other hand NEEDED something up front. Gooden does have the ability to put the ball in the basket and remember he's ONLY a rookie. I'm sure he'll grow. Essentially that's who the key people in the trade is.
Old 02-20-2003, 04:58 PM   #25
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

<< dude, he got PICKS, too! not just miller and humphrey! >>

I thought The Magic got the draft picks. And so what. Besides Collison, James, and Darko, who else that's good is entering next this yr's draft?
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 07:09 PM   #26
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

dude, picks for jerry west are like GOLD, man!