Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-23-2001, 06:48 PM   #1
Chef Ed

Chef Ed is on a distinguished road

Last year it was the Seatle game early in the season, November 17, on the road. Down by 20 in the 3rd. Dallas getting pushed around, and getting the wrong end of the deal on the foul front. Dirk gets a cheap foul, almost goes balistic, then proceeds to post a 28pt, 14 Rebound night, and helps bring the Mavericks back for a emotional, and season defining win. It propelled them to a 6-2 record in the next 8 games, and it also showed exactly what kind of player Dirk Nowitzki was going to be. It opened the Mavericks eyes. It showed them what they could be if they wanted it. Well the rest of the season the Mavericks showed that not only did they want it, but they would do something with it once obtained.
This year it may have been in Minn... We all agree, I think, that the Mavericks didn't exactly come out of the gate on fire. In fact I would be bold enough to say that they were not ready to start the season, and that the reason was the ease of training camp, and the over confidence of not only the player's, but the head coach as well. They stumbled, and they fell down a couple of times, and injuries of coarse
played a small role, but it was the lack of leadership, and the lack of intensity that propelled the Mavericks to a very sluggish start. That was until a couple of games ago when the Mavericks were down by 22, in hostile territory, against a worthy opponent, and instead of giving up, and falling down again, they took a great step forward. It's one of those games that can define your season in just 48 minutes. It's called a charachter builder.
Now what you do with it is another story, and from the looks of things right now, the Mavericks are right in the possition they want to be in. But are ready to challenge the Spurs? Are they ready to take that next step? I don't want to here about Dirk's ankle. I don't want to here about Shawn's deficiencies. I don't want to here about how Mike
dissapears in big games. All I want to here about is how we are going to kick the S--t out of the San Antonio Spurs. We have seen up close, especially in the last 6 games what Nelson invisioned when he worked his ass off in the off-season to aquire certain players, that by the way have been a big part of the winning streak. In fact you can attribute most of it, with the exception of Eddie, to the players that he aquired in the off-season. Evan, and Danny have in my mind been the biggest dissapointment's, but at the same time if that's the worst I can come up with, then I'm struggling to find something. Because they haven't been terrible, but they haven't excelled as much as Griffin, and Timmy.
So the question remains. Did the Mavericks do enough in the off-season to challenge the Spurs? You have to admit that a 6 game winning streak, and in the fashion that it was achieved, is a perfect way to go into the game on Wen. against San Antonio. No problems, no injuries, and full of confidence. Not only in your starters, but your bench. We are as ready to play them as we will ever be. But are we ready? It is my opinion that we are, and on Wen. night in San Antonio the Spurs will find out exactly how good our basketball team is. Bulls--t time is over, and I for one, am tired of being considered below the Spurs, or the Laker's for that matter. Granted it would help if we could beat them once in a while, but you have to start somewhere. I don't believe
that it is a talent issue, just a mental one.
Old 12-23-2001, 10:58 PM   #2
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

20-5
0-4

The first one is the Spurs very impressive record. The second is their very unimpressive record against top teams (teams in the top 5 in the West and top 4 in the East). Against the same teams that Spurs are 0-4, the Mavs are 4-1 (5-3 if you factor in LA and Detroit which San Antonio has yet to play). The Spurs have Duncan and a number of competent role players which mean they are going to be a competitive playoff team for the length of Duncan's contract. But there is no real evidence so far that they are not worse than they were last year with trades, age affecting key players, and running with a rookie point. This is an important game for the Mavs, I'm not saying its not, but if the Mavericks win, I don't think we can say they beat a juggernaut; and if they lose, it doesn't necessarily mean anything more than the loss to Sacramento.
(Don't want to take unfair credit, I wouldn't have noticed the reality behind the schedule myself but it was pointed out by G Adonato on the Lone Mavs Forum.)

And you may not want to hear about Dirk's ankle but its absolutely critical. If Dirk is well enough to give us what he did against Minnesota--much less the offensive game he was showing earlier in the year, and Nash and Finley continue their recent all-star level play, then we should have a definitive win. If Dirk doesn't play, then we are going to get completely chewed up inside and only season-best type games out of the Nash and Finley will even give us a chance.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2001, 12:24 AM   #3
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I like our chances well enough right now with the recent team effort that we have seen from the Mavs.

Dirk's health is obviously an issue. He has 2 sprained ankles, I think that should be of a concern to us. The left ankle being the one that is a continuing problem and the right one being sprained in the Magic game. If he can play and give us the rebounding and presence inside with some offensive effort I like our chances better.

If Nash continues to play like he has in the last few weeks I like our chances even more.

With Finley having circled this date on the calendar so he can correct his 1-17 effort the last time these 2 teams met, and plays like he has in the last 6 games, I like our chances even more as well.

If we can have the contributions that Najera, Hardaway, Eschmeyer and Howard to an extent, have made in the recent games, it makes for a very rounded team effort.

The Spurs have an impressive record, but they've come mostly from sub-500 teams. They haven't faired so well against playoff teams thus far.

As a side note, the Spurs lost to the Bucks tonight without Ray Allen.
Old 12-24-2001, 07:59 AM   #4
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

A lone caller for water in the desert ...
It is the game Bradley has been practicing for all December. It´s a key game for the Mavs, because it´s the game that may decide Bradleys season. If he comes back against S.A. and can do what he CAN do he will be exactly what we need to get to the remaining level (the Sub-Lakers level). If he fails, we will fight for 4th/5th this year in the West.
But to be honest, considering Bradleys play so far this year we can consider the Mavs beeing down by 22 at the beginning if he plays against S.A., so if we win this won the bigger win it will be ...

j
Old 12-24-2001, 08:18 AM   #5
K!DD

K!DD is on a distinguished road

Yeah, the Bucks shot 54,5 % from the field against the Spurs. I didn't see this game but Cassell really killed the rookie point of the Spurs. I think, Nash will do it, too. This could be the key for a win.
Let's see what Dirk can do against Duncan. It will be tough to score against him. So I hope he's ready to play with his weak ankles.
And please don't leave Smith open from three point range, Mavs!!!
K!DD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2001, 10:41 AM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

san antonio hasn't won a game against a good team yet this year
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2001, 09:32 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

sorry hoopmeister, I think you and I had the same info..was just about to post the same when i read your post
Old 12-26-2001, 02:24 PM   #8
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

I've missed on my predictions this year, but I hope I'm wrong this time.

The Mavs lose by 8. Duncan and Robinson roasted Bradley last year when he was playing good. They rebound too good for the rest of the Mavs, and they are playing at home. Nash roasts the rookie. SS and Fin cancel eachother out (slight edge to fin). But in the closing minutes, we realize that we just can't handle an elite big man. Certainly not 2 of them.

JT
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2001, 08:32 PM   #9
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Wow what a first quarter - the Mavs look ready to play tonight!
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2001, 08:40 PM   #10
K!DD

K!DD is on a distinguished road

Fin is on fire!!!
K!DD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2001, 09:12 PM   #11
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

How we're winning this game I have no idea. The Spurs have shot 25 (TWENTY-FIVE) free throws vs the Mavs 9. And we got 6 of those free throws in the last 2 minutes of the game. I don't mind the refs calling a tight game, but for god's sake call it tight for BOTH teams. I've watched the Mavs get hammered inside without a call and we can't breathe on someone inside without getting a foul.
Old 12-26-2001, 09:18 PM   #12
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

We're winning because we shot 25 of 42 in the first half while holding San Antonio to 15 of 39. And because we are +5(!!) in rebounding. They are hanging in the game because of the ridiculous free throw imbalance and too many turnovers.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Old 12-26-2001, 09:50 PM   #13
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

will they cover- that is the ? lol
Old 12-26-2001, 09:54 PM   #14
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Well we are leading to start the 4th, always a good sign, despite Nash's 4 fouls. But did I miscount or something--it looks like Dirk only took 1 shot in the 3rd?
Old 12-26-2001, 10:28 PM   #15
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Pair of great offensive rebounds by Howard--even Murph is going to have to admit that :-)
Old 12-26-2001, 10:31 PM   #16
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Of course, he'll have plenty he can say about Howard's defense.
Old 12-26-2001, 10:35 PM   #17
MFFL
Guru

Nobody could guard Duncan in the 4th. Basket after basket, foul after foul.

We're in OT baby!
Old 12-26-2001, 10:36 PM   #18
big_pth
Diamond Member

big_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to all

Damn OT!
Old 12-26-2001, 10:49 PM   #19
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

What a beautiful, beautiful win. Hardaway for 6th man of the year.
Old 12-26-2001, 10:49 PM   #20
MFFL
Guru

What a great win! Unbelievable performances by Nash, Finley, and Dirk. That 3 by TimBug was KILLER!
Old 12-26-2001, 10:50 PM   #21
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Huge win.
Duncan went off, and we still won.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2001, 11:17 PM   #22
LongHornMav

LongHornMav is on a distinguished road

Congrats to the Mavericks! Awesome, awesome game.

Horrible turnovers by the Mavs throughout the game, Duncan is still amazing. Thank goodness we shot 55% in a big time game.

Hardaway and Nash, what a deadly clutch combo to have on one team!
LongHornMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2001, 11:24 PM   #23
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

What an AWESOME game, not to mention great win for the Mavs on the road against a team like the Spurs.

Big 3=Amazing.

Despite the 6 turnovers, Finley shot the ball well, grabbed rebounds and dished the ball out as well. Certainly a bounce back from that 1-17 effort in the playoffs last season.

11-16, 6-6, (0-1), 28pts, 7rbs, 6as, 1blk, 6to

Dirk, glad to see him bounce back offensively and continue to grab the boards.

9-17, 6-7, (2-5), 26pts, 11rbs, 3as, 4stl, 3to

Nash, well, just being Nash again.

10-21, 5-7, (2-3), 27pts, 4rbs, 5as, 3to

Hardaway, this guy has really turned his game around from the beginning of the season and is contributing to the team big time. That 3 pointer was CLUTCH!

5-8, 2-2, (3-5), 15pts, 3as, 2stl, 6to

Old 12-26-2001, 11:47 PM   #24
Murphy3
Guru

great game all aroudn..too many costly turnovers..almost lost us the game...
dirk, fin, nash, hardaway, and manning..all solid games..j-ho did pick up a couple of key rebounds late..proud of him.

not sure why dirk only got ..what was it..5 shots in the fourth..but turned that into the mavs first 11 points of the quarter..
nash, very costly error with the mavs last possession of regulation but he made up for it in OT
Old 12-26-2001, 11:58 PM   #25
MFFL
Guru

So much for resting Dirk a little. He played 51 minutes - amazing considering how he was limping around at the end of the last game. Finley also played 51 minutes.
Old 12-27-2001, 12:01 AM   #26
MFFL
Guru

And we shouldn't have been able to win this game. The Spurs went to the line 41 times and made 38 free throws. Duncan made all his free throws which is pretty amazing considering how poorly he shot them last year.

I was prepared to rip Nash a good one tonight if we lost - missing that technical late in the game is inexcusable.
Old 12-27-2001, 12:11 AM   #27
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Dirk was visibly limping as this game got under way. But apparently the coaching staff has decided they can afford to play him through it.
Old 12-27-2001, 12:42 AM   #28
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Good win. I was thinking "oh no here we go again" when Porter made that 3 pointer. But we gutted it out and came away with a W.

Now let's hope there isn't a letdown when we play Chicago and Atlanta.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 09:14 AM   #29
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

I think it would be prudent if Nellie rested Dirk the next two or three games. He doesn't have to put him in IR. This could provide good experience for Wang and give a few extra minutes for Esch. Unfortunately I think the DNP for Bradley go away during the next few games....
Old 12-27-2001, 09:25 AM   #30
MFFL
Guru

Concerning Bradley's DNP - I thought he got in the game as a defensive substitution late in the 3rd quarter. I saw him go to the scorers table and rip off his warmups. The refs wouldn't let him in so Nellie called a timeout to make the substitution. I was pretty sure that he played 15-20 seconds.
Old 12-27-2001, 10:01 AM   #31
Murphy3
Guru

is anyone on this team capable of consistently playing solid defense and grabbing 10+ boards a game besides Dirk? plus, he is the teams leading scorer. I believe this is the reason he's not sitting out games....they can't afford for him to be out..if he feels well enough to play, then he'll suit up
Old 12-27-2001, 10:54 AM   #32
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

Those Turnovers... Dirk was nearly the only one to control the ball. Tim Duncan also had 6...

Why should Nellie sit Dirk out, that would be so dumb! You can't give your best player a rest!
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 12:20 PM   #33
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

I think I'm with Maringa. Dirk was visibly limping to start the game last night--later on, with it warmed up, adrenalin, etc, it stopped being noticeable, but I'm sure its still affecting his game. Remember the string of 30+ games he had before he rehurt his ankle and then hurt the other one? He hasn't even really threatened 30 since then. And he's a step slower--he's still playing at an all-star level, but watch his spin moves or when he's running down court, he's not at the level he was showing ealier in the year.

You're right Murph that we don't have anybody we can replace Dirk with. But the next 3 games are against Chicago, Atlanta, and Chicago. Finley and Nash are currently playing at all-star levels. The rest of the Mavs team are competent NBA players. They *should* be able to win those games even without Dirk, so he can rest his ankle and possibly get back to his early season offensive form.
Old 12-27-2001, 01:51 PM   #34
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Bradley didn't get into the game at all. The ref's wouldn't let him sub in for hte defensive situation. I heard Nelson say before the game that he couldn't trust Bradley's stamina enough to play him any significant minutes. However, I think he could have helped out a lot against Duncan.

Anybody wondering why Wang got so much playing time in this game? He didn't look like he deserve to be on the court for so long in such a close game.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 02:00 PM   #35
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't want to see Dirk in the game in Chicago. Finley, Nash, and Hardaway should be able to take care of them. Besides it would be good in getting Harvey and Wang some PT. We have four games scheduled that should all be wins (Chicago twice, Atlanta, and NY). Dirk should be resting his ankle in each one. He needs to be healthy for our next game against SA.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 03:29 PM   #36
Murphy3
Guru

yes, the mavs "should" be able to win the next three games without dirk. However, the mavs lost games they should have won without him in the lineup already this year. These are must win games...games you have to win..pounce on the opponent early to where dirk can play 20 minutes and sit the rest of the game.

If dirk were to sit out and finley or nash wasn't hot..well, it all of a sudden becomes a very winnable game for the mavs opponent...especially with no offensive and defensive inside presence