Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 12-10-2003, 05:04 PM   #1
cin

cin is on a distinguished road
Default Suns fire coach Frank Johnson

Sun sets on Frank Johnson

By Greg Boeck, USA TODAY
PHOENIX — Frank Johnson became the third NBA coach since the beginning of the 2003-04 regular season to get fired when the Phoenix Suns replaced him with assistant coach Mike D'Antoni on Wednesday.

The dismissal comes on the heels of a 1-3 road trip that included losses to struggling Orlando and Miami. The Suns are 8-13 overall — the second-worst record in the Western Conference.

D'Antoni takes over a team that is without injured star Amare Stoudemire and rookie Zarko Cabarkapa. The former Denver Nuggets coach makes his debut at home against New Orleans.

"This will be my seventh coach in 11 years," said Suns guard Penny Hardaway.

Johnson's record in his three seasons with Phoenix was 63-71 and included a playoff appearance last season. The Suns fell to the eventual champion Spurs in the first round but took San Antonio to six games.

The Magic fired Doc Rivers earlier this season while the Chicago Bulls dismissed Bill Cartwright.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baske...on-fired_x.htm
cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2003, 05:21 PM   #2
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Suns fire coach Frank Johnson

man....the firings have come early this year.
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 05:40 PM   #3
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: bogey
you can always count on cow to make the totally obvious and bland point! Thanks cow for being the bran in my diet, keeps me regular[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 06:38 PM   #4
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Frank Johnson's elevation to head coach made little sense. The timing of his dismissal is just as odd.

Suns seem to have a real stability crisis vis a vis their head coaching position.

Wonder if they aren't interested in Doc Rivers. If not, I might know where they could get a slightly used masterbuilder.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 07:52 PM   #5
Lvubun1

Lvubun1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
Frank Johnson's elevation to head coach made little sense. The timing of his dismissal is just as odd.

Suns seem to have a real stability crisis vis a vis their head coaching position.

Wonder if they aren't interested in Doc Rivers. If not, I might know where they could get a slightly used masterbuilder.
Wow I had to read over that last word a couple times, at first I was thinking to myself "Hey he is talking 'bout me"
Lvubun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 08:00 PM   #6
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: bogey
Just sends a message to all the coaches how important it is to have a good start in this league.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:11 AM   #7
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

I guess his overall record makes this firing seem warranted, but I thought the Suns were improving despite what their record reflects.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote