Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 01-14-2004, 01:05 PM   #1
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dallas/Memphis/Cleveland three-way that might make sense...

Dallas trades: SF Antawn Jamison (15.6 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 1.0 apg in 30.1 minutes)
Dallas receives: PG Earl Watson (6.2 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 5.3 apg in 23.1 minutes)
SF Shane Battier (9.1 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 1.4 apg in 25.0 minutes)
C Lorenzen Wright (9.8 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 1.3 apg in 25.6 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +9.5 ppg, +7.3 rpg, and +7.0 apg.

Memphis trades: PG Earl Watson (6.2 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 5.3 apg in 23.1 minutes)
C Jake Tsakalidis (4.6 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 0.3 apg in 10.7 minutes)
C Lorenzen Wright (9.8 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 1.3 apg in 25.6 minutes)
Memphis receives: C Zydrunas Illgauskas (14.4 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 1.4 apg in 37 games)
Change in team outlook: -15.3 ppg, -8.9 rpg, and -6.9 apg.

Cleveland trades: C Zydrunas Illgauskas (14.4 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 1.4 apg in 29.9 minutes)
Cleveland receives: SF Antawn Jamison (15.6 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 1.0 apg in 37 games)
C Jake Tsakalidis (4.6 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 0.3 apg in 15 games)
Change in team outlook: +5.8 ppg, +1.6 rpg, and -0.1 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Why Cleveland does it: They get a stud scorer to pair with LeBron for the foreseeable future.

Why Memphis does it: They've been searching for a center for a long time and are known to covet Big Z.

Why Dallas does it: They get an athletic PF/C who they could plug in for 20-25 minutes a night at center, they clear a bit of the logjam at forward, get another good perimeter defender, and they get a very solid backup point guard who can defend.

New Dallas roster and likely rotation:

Wright 25 - Bradley 23
Nowitzki 38 - Walker 10
Walker 25 - Battier 15 - Howard 8
Finley 35 - Howard 13
Nash 32 - Watson 16

You've got a 9 deep rotation with 5 pretty good defenders in it.

A big step in the right direction.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:32 PM   #2
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default RE: Dallas/Memphis/Cleveland three-way that might make sense...

One problem KG, we still have Delk and Best, and Daniels.

Unless we do that Best for Ely trade that someone mentioned, and buyout or trade Delk, we'd have way too many guards.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 01:37 PM   #3
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

In KGs defense, he said a step in the right direction, which could be taken to mean that more trades would then be necessary. Regarding the trade at hand - I think I would have to think long and hard about this trade, but eventually do it... Just the defensive intensity that would be coming in would be great for the Mavs... Regarding Memphis, if you have watched ANY of their games, you would know they would NEVER do this... The players they would be trading play A LOT of minutes and are GREAT defensive-minded players that Brown plays when his teams is in need of a spark or a few stops... No way in hell Hubie makes that trade for a SINGLE player, not to mention one not known for defense...

No matter how nice this trade would be, Z aint worth what they would be losing... No chance!
Old 01-14-2004, 01:44 PM   #4
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:Dallas/Memphis/Cleveland three-way that might make sense...

Interesting proposal. Could we use Bo Oultand as one of the guys willing to do the "dirty work"?
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 01:51 PM   #5
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
One problem KG, we still have Delk and Best, and Daniels.

Unless we do that Best for Ely trade that someone mentioned, and buyout or trade Delk, we'd have way too many guards.
Here's the current 15 man roster:

Nowitzki
Nash
Finley
Walker
Jamison
Howard
Daniels
Best
Delk
Najera
Bradley
Fortson
Abdul-Wahad
N'Daiye
Steffansson

To make this trade, you just cut N'Daiye and Best. Best is on a one year deal and not likely to be back; you only have to swallow that much of his contract. In fact, you could probably include him in the deal and send him to either Cleveland or Memphis. (I'd have to check.)

Then you leave Abdul-Wahad, Najera, and Steffansson on the IR and your 12 man roster is:

Wright - Bradley
Nowitzki - Fortson
Walker - Battier - Howard
Finley - Daniels
Nash - Watson - Delk

Once Eddie gets healthy, stick Delk on the IR and bring Eddie back.

In short, I don't see roster space being a problem.

Old 01-14-2004, 01:57 PM   #6
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Regarding Memphis, if you have watched ANY of their games, you would know they would NEVER do this... The players they would be trading play A LOT of minutes and are GREAT defensive-minded players that Brown plays when his teams is in need of a spark or a few stops... No way in hell Hubie makes that trade for a SINGLE player, not to mention one not known for defense...

No matter how nice this trade would be, Z aint worth what they would be losing... No chance!
It's well-known that West covets Big Z (or at least I thought it was). I've certainly heard a number of rumors to that effect. He wants a true center, and that's what Z is. I think Memphis would give up some of its depth for that. Here's their roster post-trade (and let's assume we go ahead and send them Best):

Ilgauskas - Swift
Gasol - Outlaw
Posey - Miller
Miller - Wells
Williams - Best

I think they'd do that in a heartbeat. It makes them a better team.

Old 01-14-2004, 02:14 PM   #7
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Well now your cheating and including best, which I did not know he was mysteriously added to the original trade mix!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

But do it in a heartbeat??? Even with best, he would be trading like 74 minutes of great defense and average offense for 30 minutes of average defense and above average offense from Z... It just doesnt add up... You might think that they are still deep, but Z, Gasol, and Williams are all below average defenders, which is why they all get pulled for the players you just traded respectfully in every game Memphis plays, (and cleveland for Z)...

If I was standing in Memphis' shoes, the trade would look like this to me, (AND REMEMBER, IM ALLOWING YOU TO CHEAT WITH BEST):

Trade Best for Watson straight up... Lose defense, maybe gain a bit of offense and ball control... Lets just call this a tie...

Trade Battier and Wright, (both capable of very good offensive showings), two very good defenders, for an average defender and above average Center... I think they MIGHT do this if they are as high on Z as you say, but were I the GM of a HUBIE-coached team, I woudlnt... If this were a mavs trade, then sure... But Hubie will sit ANYONE that isnt hustling and playing D... Something that, to be fair, Z can do, but isnt known for...
Old 01-14-2004, 02:22 PM   #8
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

I'm for any trade that involves Battier coming here. We gain defense and lose offense - a very good trade.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 02:44 PM   #9
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

Dallas trades: PG Tony Delk (6.6 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 0.8 apg in 16.3 minutes)
PG Travis Best (3.2 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 1.8 apg in 12.8 minutes)
SF Antawn Jamison (15.6 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 1.0 apg in 30.1 minutes)
Dallas receives: C Lorenzen Wright (9.8 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 1.3 apg in 25.6 minutes)
SF Bo Outlaw (4.2 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 0.7 apg in 18.1 minutes)
PG Earl Watson (6.2 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 5.3 apg in 23.1 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +3.9 ppg, +8.4 rpg, and +5.1 apg.

Cleveland trades: C Zydrunas Illgauskas (14.5 ppg, 7.6 rpg, 1.4 apg in 29.7 minutes)
SF Darius Miles (8.9 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 2.3 apg in 24.6 minutes)
Cleveland receives: PG Tony Delk (6.6 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 0.8 apg in 29 games)
SF Antawn Jamison (15.6 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 1.0 apg in 37 games)
C Jake Tsakalidis (4.6 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 0.3 apg in 15 games)
Change in team outlook: +3.4 ppg, -1.0 rpg, and -1.6 apg.

Memphis trades: C Lorenzen Wright (9.8 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 1.3 apg in 25.6 minutes)
SF Bo Outlaw (4.2 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 0.7 apg in 18.1 minutes)
C Jake Tsakalidis (4.6 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 0.3 apg in 10.7 minutes)
PG Earl Watson (6.2 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 5.3 apg in 23.1 minutes)
Memphis receives: PG Travis Best (3.2 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 1.8 apg in 31 games)
C Zydrunas Illgauskas (14.5 ppg, 7.6 rpg, 1.4 apg in 38 games)
SF Darius Miles (8.9 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 2.3 apg in 34 games)
Change in team outlook: -7.3 ppg, -7.4 rpg, and -3.5 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

How about this. Dallas Gets what they needs. Cleveland gets Jamison and a PG that can shoot. Memphis gets Z another PG with expiring contract and Miles who might opt out of his contract
Old 01-14-2004, 02:52 PM   #10
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Now this is a better overall trade, but still I find it hard to see Memphis trading away FOUR of their five main defensive players... I can see each team getting what they want/need and every team likewise improving EXCEPT memphis... This trade is better than the original, but unless Memphis has a hard-on man-crush for Z, I dont see it happening...

Man would we be better though... We could basically add Howard to the four players we are getting back and when we need a stop put out this lineup:

Wright
Outlaw
Battier
Howard
Watson

or have a great mix with:

Wright
Dirk
Battier
Howard
Nash

Or just improved enough to make me happy with:

Wright
Dirk
Walker
Finley
Nash
Old 01-14-2004, 02:54 PM   #11
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Jamisonite, your trade makes some sense for all teams involved as well.

I'd do either one.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:54 PM   #12
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

If wright and those guys were so good they wouldn't be on the block. Memphis wouldn't continue to look for a big man. Cleveland isn't a good team with Big Z. So why bother.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 02:56 PM   #13
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

We'll put you down as against.

Old 01-14-2004, 03:00 PM   #14
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

LoL if walker and jamison were so good they wouldnt be on the block either, you trade good players to get better