Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-15-2003, 12:23 AM   #41
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road
Default Your the Mavs GM, what do you do?

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
I think to get Ben Wallace we would have to trade possibly 2 of the big 4 but one for sure. The most liekly one owuld be Nash since Pistons while they do have Billups he isn't really a pg. If they'd take Nash for Ben i'd do that in a heartbeat but I doubt. BTW, I do hope some of you guys do now that Ben while being listed at 6'9 is even shorter than that. From what I hear he was measured with his fro sticking out. I'm not sure how he would hang in the West but i'd still take him on my squad.
FFM, great point guards are even rarer than players like Wallace. Yes, he could help but then the Mavs engine does'nt run anymore...use your head, Nash is invaluble to this team.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:24 AM   #42
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I think while the Mavs need a banger I think the Mavs need someone who earns enough respect from the defense where they get doubled when they get the ball inside and that way we can kick it out to a open man. That sounds like a Chris Webber or a KG but I think there are guys like Juwan Howard who ar estill in the free agency pool who wouldn't take much away from your cap.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 12:25 AM   #43
Rod1975
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
I saw this trade proposal on the LMF. I checked it just in case and it's accepted. It doesn't solve our problem at the center position, but it does for our sf need.

Dallas trades: NVE, Eschmeyer

Dallas receives: Artest, Croshere, Fred Jones

I'm not sure why Indiana does it other than to get a pg in NVE and unload Croshere's contract. And to free up the logjam at sf by trading Ron 'headcase' Artest.

Raef, Bradley
Dirk, Najera, Croshere
Artest, TAW
Finley, Howard
Nash, AJ, Jones

We'd still have our exceptions, but we'd still be in the same position we are now and that's what big man we can convince to come here.
No thanks, Artest is a cancer, no matter how good he is....see Dennis Rodman in 2000....

Besides, it's still not enough compensation for NVE.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:31 AM   #44
Rod1975
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby

7. Begin negotiating with Nash on an extension now. Don't let him get on the open market at the end of next year.
word
Old 07-15-2003, 12:33 AM   #45
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Rod1975
Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
I think to get Ben Wallace we would have to trade possibly 2 of the big 4 but one for sure. The most liekly one owuld be Nash since Pistons while they do have Billups he isn't really a pg. If they'd take Nash for Ben i'd do that in a heartbeat but I doubt. BTW, I do hope some of you guys do now that Ben while being listed at 6'9 is even shorter than that. From what I hear he was measured with his fro sticking out. I'm not sure how he would hang in the West but i'd still take him on my squad.
FFM, great point guards are even rarer than players like Wallace. Yes, he could help but then the Mavs engine does'nt run anymore...use your head, Nash is invaluble to this team.

Well I think I have to disagree with yuo on great point guards are harder to find than guys like Wallace. You can't name many guys like Wallace in this league. I actually can't name anyone like him to be honest. He is a monster on the boards and he blocks shots. I've seen him block shots from Shaq to Paul Pierce. We have 2 great point guards. While I don't want to part with Nash if Detroit came to me asking for a Nash for Wallace trade I would have to do it.

1996-2005
Old 07-15-2003, 12:36 AM   #46
Rod1975
Golden Member

There are alot of players like Wallace that block shots and board well, Wallace has just found a small niche in the east on a team that does'nt need his offense. For the same reasons Zo is staying in the east, Wallace plays well there.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:42 AM   #47
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
There are alot of players like Wallace that block shots and board well, Wallace has just found a small niche in the east on a team that does'nt need his offense. For the same reasons Zo is staying in the east, Wallace plays well there.

Yes there are guys who block shots and grab boards but not at 6'9 like Wallace does. When people say what the Mavs lack everyone defines what Wallace is. He is a All Star but he isn't afraid to hustle and bang inside. I never did like that Eastern Conference argument. The East plays the same teams that the West plays just 2 times less. I think Ben would do the same thing in the West if he were to come here. He is just that good.

1996-2005
Old 07-15-2003, 12:55 AM   #48
Rod1975
Golden Member

Not in the playoffs amigo.....that's what I was referring to. Why do you think Zo went to Jersey? Kidd? lol
Zo went because Jersey has the best chance of any team in the entire league of repeating as finals participants.
Wallace would not perform as well in the playoffs in the west period.
I have NBA league pass, I've seen him play, he'd be grossly undersized against Shaq, Duncan, heck, even Yao if it comes to that.
He's better off in Motown.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:06 AM   #49
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Not in the playoffs amigo.....that's what I was referring to. Why do you think Zo went to Jersey? Kidd? lol
Zo went because Jersey has the best chance of any team in the entire league of repeating as finals participants.
Wallace would not perform as well in the playoffs in the west period.
I have NBA league pass, I've seen him play, he'd be grossly undersized against Shaq, Duncan, heck, even Yao if it comes to that.
He's better off in Motown.
He won't stick Duncan because Duncan is a pf but yes he will be undersized against Shaq but who isn't in this league? We have a 7'6 player and Shaq overpowers him every single time. Wallace wouldn't do any worser than those guys. I believe Zo went to New Jersey because he didn't even play last season. Coming off a injury or a illness you want to take the easier way out and I respect him for taking that route for his health issues alone.

1996-2005
Old 07-15-2003, 01:10 AM   #50
Rod1975
Golden Member

so, then you agree with me? great.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:22 AM   #51
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
so, then you agree with me? great.
Lol. Yea sure why not i'm just trying to become a Elite Member since i'm so close to becoming one.

1996-2005
Old 07-15-2003, 01:30 AM   #52
Rod1975
Golden Member

Well hopefully you're not just post padding like some folks do. You don't seem to be.

If I was GM, I'd go get Kandi for the MLE (cuz B Mill ain't happenin') a gamble to be sure, but he wants out of LAC. He might just turn out OK with some guidance, leadership and the right environment.

And, he's 7ft (WS of 7'6") 270. You can't teach that. All he needs is motivation and some health.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:07 AM   #53
Mavs_Rule2003

Mavs_Rule2003 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

And, he's 7ft (WS of 7'6") 270. You can't teach that. All he needs is motivation and some health.
Rod, the problem is that Raef is also 7ft and he also needs some motivation !!!

Nothing much upgrade there beside we bring in another 7 ft at disposal. kandi is total unethical to his plays. He makes problem with teammate and there are lot more going on with him.

But again, if we have MLE left over and no one else to give then i would also take him. Not becos he deserves it. Only becos he is the only one left there. But i am preety sure he is going to Denver or staying in clipper. Or may be persued by SA if they cant get rasho for more money.
Mavs_Rule2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 07:10 PM   #54
EVAN

EVAN is on a distinguished road

Quote:

hehe name ONE on Dallas' Roster! Find any luck! How lame was your argument Rod! (No pun intended) Wallace is unique in many ways, You can mention his Shotblocking abilities or his awesome rebounding skills or how about the way he makes allstars cower and have to adjust their shooting style becuase theyre worried Big Ben will just swat the ball away effortlessely!!!Nobody cowers when LaFrentz or Bradley is clogging up the lanes....

Good Point Guards are rare but great power forwards/centers are even harder to acquire!
EVAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 07:29 PM   #55
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

wallace is ridiculous. He would be devoured in the west.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 07:29 PM   #56
Rod1975
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: EVAN
Quote:

hehe name ONE on Dallas' Roster! Find any luck! How lame was your argument Rod! (No pun intended) Wallace is unique in many ways, You can mention his Shotblocking abilities or his awesome rebounding skills or how about the way he makes allstars cower and have to adjust their shooting style becuase theyre worried Big Ben will just swat the ball away effortlessely!!!Nobody cowers when LaFrentz or Bradley is clogging up the lanes....

Good Point Guards are rare but great power forwards/centers are even harder to acquire!
I'll say he's unique, not many players shoot 37% from the stripe.

Ben Wallace is a Malik Rose without the offensive skills, period.

Old 07-16-2003, 08:42 PM   #57
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all
Default RE: Your the Mavs GM, what do you do?

Well, too lazy to go through the whole thread to see if it was already posted, but I´d ...

... package some guys around Nick (AJ, Eddie, ...) and send them to Indiana for Miller and Croshere, maybe some more if they are willing to add Artest.

... sign Lamar Odom to a 3 year 16 million offer sheet.

... re-sign Raja Bell, give Maquis Daniels a 1-year contract

... if Clippers match, offer Horry 3.5 million of the MLE for a one, maybe a two year deal and sign some young Guard / swingman for the rest or go for Oggy

Old 07-16-2003, 08:52 PM   #58
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Look we aren't trying to save the alamo. This team is coming off a 60 win season. Lets see leads the league in rebounding and is among the leaders in block shots he is the defensive player of the year for the second consecutive season . Rod you lost the argument. He does everything this team lacks a rebounder besides dirk , a strong shot blocker and a huge hustle guy. Come on don't bring the malik rose argument when rose is 6'7. So what about the height thing nash is listed at 6'3" and he is more like 6ft one its not how big you are its how big you play.

Rod how big does bradley and lafrentz play they play so small that they aren't even in the game at the end of it. Big Ben would be. As for sticking on shaq and duncan who can stop those guys no one can.

If you can't get Zach Randolph, Big Z, or even Brad Miller , Big Ben is a nice alternative especially for the nice price of steve nash.

jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 09:30 PM   #59
Rod1975
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
Look we aren't trying to save the alamo. This team is coming off a 60 win season. Lets see leads the league in rebounding and is among the leaders in block shots he is the defensive player of the year for the second consecutive season . Rod you lost the argument. He does everything this team lacks a rebounder besides dirk , a strong shot blocker and a huge hustle guy. Come on don't bring the malik rose argument when rose is 6'7. So what about the height thing nash is listed at 6'3" and he is more like 6ft one its not how big you are its how big you play.

Rod how big does bradley and lafrentz play they play so small that they aren't even in the game at the end of it. Big Ben would be. As for sticking on shaq and duncan who can stop those guys no one can.

If you can't get Zach Randolph, Big Z, or even Brad Miller , Big Ben is a nice alternative especially for the nice price of steve nash.
Wallace would'nt fare any better than our 2 or 3 headed center in the west against the power players.

This kind of argument can't be won or lost it's too subjective, Wallace plays in the east come playoff time, we have no frame of reference.

Old 07-16-2003, 09:37 PM   #60
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: EVAN
Quote:

I'll say he's unique, not many players shoot 37% from the stripe.

Ben Wallace is a Malik Rose without the offensive skills, period.
'

Come on now. Thats ridiculous. Wallace and Malik Rose are two completely different players. Malik does not block shots or has never grabbed 20 boards like Wallace has done several times. With this Mav team you don't need any offense from a big man. Especially one that will grab you boards and block shots. Thats exactly what we need IMO.

1996-2005
Old 07-16-2003, 10:31 PM   #61
Rod1975
Golden Member

Don't get me wrong I like Big Ben, but he's overrated. We need size in the West, and 6'9" with your fro picked out ain't cuttin it.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:34 AM   #62
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

At this point, there are only a few options left that can help for this year.

Using the MLE, I divide it up between Bell, M. Daniels and make an attempt to get one of Jumain Jones, James Posey, or Walter McCarthy for help at SF.

I see if I can Elden Campbell for the LLE for two years before someone else offers a $3MM deal for 2-3 years. I do this because I need more help to clog the middle and take a few fouls to keep Raef and Shawn from fouling out before the game is over. I realize that at least Campbell has played against the big guys in the West and has not been inimidated even if he has been out-played.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 10:52 AM   #63
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

ok...this is what I do

1. sign Marquis Daniels and Josh Powell to minumum contracts

both these players, especially Daniels, have show enough to warrant a good look in camp and a chance to make the squad.

2. sign Steve Nash to an extension now

I don't know what happened between Cuban and Bill Duffy but I don't want to find out the reprocutions when Nash is free to sign with any team. Who knows how many college chums Duffy has out there[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Anyway, Steve is a BIG piece to this Mavericks machine and should be paid as well.

3. trade Nick Van Exel and Evan Eschmeyer to Indiana for Ron Artest and Austin Croshere

Van Exel is out most prized piece to trade and would trade it in a second to bring a defensive bull like Artest. Is he a problem child? YES. But wasn't Van Exel also a problem child when he got here? I think the nucleus of the Mavs is strong enough to handle Artest. He would solve so many problems and would be the catalyst to a much improved defense. Esch and Croshere is just exchanging bad contracts. But atleast Croshere can contribute off the bench.

4. sign Jumaine Jones with half of the MLE. Sign Elden Campbell with the small exception.

Jumaine would be a nice change of the bench and would bring nice athleticism and scoring off the bench which would help ease the burden of the Van Exel points off the bench. Campbell is signed for depth at PF and C positions.

5. resign Raja Bell for insurance

Raja deserves a chance to comeback. With the influx of talented rookies and veterans brought back in trade will make it hard for Bell to see much action. Would he stay happy being burried on IR?

lineup:

pg: S. Nash - M. Daniels

Nash offcourse starts. But I'm taking a BIG risk that Daniels can give some good minutes when Steve needs a rest. I have Johnson on the IR incase my risk blows up in my face. But Im confident that given some PT that Daniels will suprise some people.

sg: M. Finley - J. Howard

Finley offcourse starts. Howard is the rookie that gets the most playing time because of his good defensive pressure and his willingness to learn behind a great player in Finley. I finally don't wince when I see Finley go out of the game. Howard is a good prospect who should flourish under Nellie's system.

sf: R. Artest - J. Jones - A. Croshere

What once was a problem is now replenished with talent. Artest takes over the SF spot and never looks back. And I think the group as a whole will be able to handle Artest, just like they did when Van Exel was shipped here. Jones is a nice piece to have off the bench as is Croshere.

pf: D. Nowitzki - E. Campbell - Najera

Dirk does what Dirk does, but we are still lacking that bruiser to come off the bench. I have to play Najera out of position to get him playing time. Campbell is a good backup to have, also will receive minutes at center.

c: R. LaFrentz - S. Bradley

This continues to be the weekness of our team. Hopefully LaFrentz comes back more dedicated as the Mavs will need that if they are wanting a return visit to the Western Conference Finals. Bradley "the Preying Mantis" will be waiting to wreak havoc off the bench.

IR: Avery Johnson - Josh Powell - Raja Bell

Avery is kept on only as a nice piece to have when the trading deadline approaches and as insurance if Daniels is not ready. Powell is a 19 year old rookie who is very raw and needs time. Nice project for the future. Bell, though a nice player, has no room to make the active roster. But will most likely be used because of certain injurys that will occur during the season.

Overall the team has improved its team defense and depth at the small foward spot. Also, able to add 3 promising rookies for the future. Though dissapointed that we still have a weekness in our frontcourt size and defense.
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 01:37 PM   #64
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Rasheed Wallace is the real wallace you should focus on. Big Bens an untochable, but wallace may not be anymore. Their is an article in the oregonian that suggests that sweeping changes will be made to the trailblazers, owner paul allen wants character guys players that the team can be proud of.

Anyone but dirk and fin are on the block or should be?
On the table are steve nash, nick van exel and raef lafrentz. Finleys contract is just too big for anyone to take on.

jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 01:58 AM   #65
Rod1975
Golden Member

If I'm the Mavs GM, at this point I take a gamble and give Oliver Narr-Bolduan (Narr for short) a shot at the NBA. Hell why not, he can't be any worse than Esch.
He's a free agent, very skilled around the basket, good hands, good shooter and passer, great physical specimen, 7'3" (or so)221cm 265 3.5 % body fat. Why the hell not?
He's German, and played for Benetton Treviso.
Old 07-19-2003, 06:19 PM   #66
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

I keep Dirk.

Try to move everyone else for young and cheap talent.
The Mavs window closed on them this offseason.
Dont get me wrong I still think they have a shot this season, But that is all. Finley is getting older and has a large contract, Nash is getting older and is going to have a large contract, Nick is getting older and has a large contract(but it does expire soon). I say the Mavs have quite a bit to work with in terms of trading material (talent) and what they BS (TAW) they can include in those trades would help quite a bit. I would just like to see the Mavs win for longer than a 5 year stretch. So if you get young talented players to play around Dirk I think you can wait out Shaq to a championship.
Old 07-20-2003, 06:16 PM   #67
JoshHoward5

JoshHoward5 is on a distinguished road

Here's what I do: trade Finley to Bulls for Fizer and Donnel Marshall. This would be risky, but we could develop J Howard into a 2.
JoshHoward5 is offline   Reply With Quote