Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 09-02-2004, 09:17 PM   #1
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Baron Demands a Trade

Davis stirs up Hornets' nest

By Roscoe Nance, USA TODAY

Baron Davis and his agent are demanding that the New Orleans Hornets trade the two-time All-Star guard to improve Davis' chances to win an NBA title.

The Hornets have reached the playoffs seven of the last eight seasons while competing in the Eastern Conference. The team moves to the Western Conference this season after the expansion Charlotte Bobcats displaced them in the East. The Hornets will compete in the new Southwest Division, which also includes San Antonio, Houston, Dallas and Memphis and is regarded as the most competitive division in the NBA.

"After talking with Baron and evaluating what the Hornets organization has been doing this offseason, I'm concerned with Baron's current status and his future with the team," Todd Ramasar, Davis' agent, told USA TODAY. "Baron was really disappointed with them losing the first round of the playoffs. I want to put him in the position where he can contend for a title or at least be in a position where he can reach the NBA Finals."

Davis, 25, is in the second year of a six-year, $85 million contract and the Hornets said that while there are some issues that need to be addressed, they will not trade him.

"We've got to straighten out some things," Hornets general manager Allan Bristow said but would not go into any details. "He's our franchise player. There's no possibility we'll trade him. We have no intention of even inquiring about trading Baron."

Davis didn't name a specific team he would like to play for but Ramasar said that his client would be a good fit with teams such as New York, Phoenix, the Los Angeles Lakers and Miami.

"I trust my agent," Davis said. "He has my best interests at heart. I'm just focused to play well in the NBA."

Ramasar said he and Davis had hoped the Hornets would add a veteran to help Davis carry the scoring load. Davis averaged a career-high 22.9 points per game last season but to get it he averaged 40 minutes a game, eighth in the league.

"I think it's too much pressure that the Hornets are putting on Baron as an All-Star to carry that team," Ramasar said.

Davis met with Hornets officials following their first-round loss to Miami in May and told them that he believed they needed to upgrade the roster. The Hornets' only moves have been to sign forwards Rodney Rogers and Chris Andersen and guard Alex Garcia. They also drafted high school star J.R. Smith.
-----------------------------------------------------
Old 09-02-2004, 09:19 PM   #2
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:The Baron Demands a Trade

he wants to get away from Mashburn too.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 10:07 PM   #3
poohrichardson

poohrichardson is on a distinguished road

The Hornets would be better off getting rid of Mashburn.. no matter what they get for him.
poohrichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 10:09 PM   #4
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

Terry and Stack for Baron.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:15 PM   #5
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

Kind of makes me regret the Mavs trading Walker already.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:25 PM   #6
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

Not that interested, even if he is talented.

Personally, I think these "superstars" need to start getting traded for each other. Give Baron Toronto, and let Vince have New Orleans. Then, they can see that things aren't always better elsewhere.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 09:31 AM   #7
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about

Enough with the trade demands, overpaid cry babies. The inmates are running the asylum.

Old 09-03-2004, 09:43 AM   #8
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirk2003
Terry and Stack for Baron.

I'm all for that deal. I mean now we are talking about a top 3 point guard in this league. A 25 year old top 3 point guard in this league. This ain't no Kidd here.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 09:48 AM   #9
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road

Lets do it! Terry & stack for davis would be a steal. If this could happen, what is the time frame until this trade could ever happen?
Old 09-03-2004, 09:50 AM   #10
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: The Baron Demands a Trade

Since the Hornets are now in our division, I doubt they would even consider trading him here...but he's incredibly talented and would be a huge improvement at our PG position. What if NO offered him up, but we had to throw in Harris. (which I guess means it couldn't be done until December) Would you?

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 09:51 AM   #11
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Only problem with trading for Baron is that Harris would pretty much be wasted here.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 10:06 AM   #12
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

He's in the 2nd year of a 6yr/$85m deal and he's had some weight concerns and injury problems over the last couple years. Baron's talented but so are Terry, Harris and Stack. I'm not interested in trading for him and I don't believe the Mavs' are either.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 10:30 AM   #13
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Not interested. I like the talent the Mavs have right now. I actually like Baron's game but a major concern is health. He seems to be injured or ailing all the time. For that amount of money, the Mavs need someone they can depend on. Baron may be a better player than Terry but for the amount of money, Terry is a steal. Let's see what this group can go first.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:34 AM   #14
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

I like the guy, but I don't want him if he will demand a trade. I lose respect for FRANCHISE players demanding trades. They put their own goals above the team.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 12:09 PM   #15
NBAGnome

NBAGnome is on a distinguished road

Baron reminds me a lot of Walker. Loves to shoot 3s, isn't particularly a gifted 3 point shooter, hes also one of the few point guards (the only one?) with questionable free throw shooting.

At 6 years and 80+ million, i wouldn't want him for the mavs.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:31 PM   #16
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

I'll stick with what we got.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:10 PM   #17
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
They put their own goals above the team.
But in this case, his goal is to win a championship, so don't be too upset.

Since i'm biased to JT, i wouldn't trade for him. Our team would probably be better how it is rather than trading Terry/Stackhouse. And for those that want Dirk to shoot more, you would be very opposed to get Davis.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 03:20 PM   #18
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

The Mavs aren't interested I am sure, but if so, who else would be a little nervous about another year of too much star power?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 07:04 PM   #19
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I'll pass thanks. I like the team we're going with.

Terry/Stackhouse for Davis doesn't work on it's own according to realgm anyhow. They'd have to throw in George Lynch. Or we're looking at a 2 for 3 and that's not really something we can afford. And I don't see them salivating over some of the pieces we'd want to unload if we were to expand such a deal.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:06 AM   #20
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

although terry/stackhouse for Davis/lynch is tempting.... I have to pass on it. It is not a bad idea, but it seems like a lateral trade to me. If we were trimming roster or getting a draft pick I might change my mind.
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 10:49 AM   #21
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

i guess a contract has no value in the 2004 NBA....teams are so scared that these guys will ruin the team with constant backbiting and whining that they feel their hand is forced...nice to see the quality of player the NBA is producing these days...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:24 AM   #22
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Amazing how off base a lot of posters are when it comes to acquiring talented players.

Remember that the final trade was Dale Davis and Speedy Claxton for Baron Davis.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:42 AM   #23
mroh

mroh is infamous around these partsmroh is infamous around these parts

Oh dear Warrior nation went crazy that day.

"Don't forget who's boss!"
mroh is offline   Reply With Quote