Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-06-2008, 06:13 PM   #1
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future
Default Countermove - By David Lord

Countermove
D-Lord Suggests Some Freshen-Up Trades
By David Lord -- DB.com

Should the Mavs respond to the moves made by LA and Phoenix? I offer a resounding YES.
When a franchise isn't going forward, it's going backwards. And even if they are going as fast as ever, that's no longer good enough once the competition has found a way to accelerate.

This Mavericks team –relative to the competition -- isn't going forward. So if it's my team, it's time to act NOW.

But isn't that just a panic move? Don't they need some patience to let the season play out on their chosen path? Up until now, I've thought “yes.’’ But now I'm changing course for several reasons, and panic is not the stimulus. These trades by the competition (the pending Shaq-to-Phoenix deal following Gasol to LA) are just the final straw of many that have been gradually piling up. Here's my reasoning.

First, at some point in a process, change can be good. In fact, change can even become desperately needed, just for the sake of change. And while the long stability to this core has been beneficial to this franchise, I think that point of needing some true change has now arrived.

For three to four years now, Dallas has featured the same core players, with the same strengths, the same weaknesses, the same coach, the same system. Continuity is good as a team grows into a unit. Unfortunately, after a while, it inevitably becomes the same old same ol’ for the fan, and I believe it can be true for the athlete, too. Conceivably, a team can get bogged down in a “you are who you are’’ mindset, the players accept it, and they gradually abandon the team's goals for their own.

In the last month or two, we are starting to hear rumblings of discontent from the roster. Because they've traveled this path too many times already, it’s logical that players tune out the team vision and create their own goals instead. A new dynamic, created by some change in the core (not in the fringe around it), has not occurred to create new mixes and challenges that can inspire and motivate. The unrest tells us that we may have hit the tipping point.

Second, a lack of substantive change over time can eventually create paralysis, as the franchise desperately begins to cling to the old and idealizes it. The Mavs have evolved from an aggressive "this is an upgrade business" and "we're always looking to improve" to an organization that stubbornly and repetitively says "we like our team." While that undoubtedly is meant to comfort and encourage the players who are here, it can also create a malaise.

I don't know how much, in their heart of hearts, the Mavs truly see their team as perfect. But they sure have offered that message to fans and players alike, ad nauseum. And at some point, even if it’s merely a PR phrase, that mantra begins to communicate to all (not only to fans, but also to players) that the status quo is fine, and there is no need to improve and grow. Change then becomes needed to demonstrate that improvement and growth is still the mandate here.

And finally, the urgency is heightened because the landscape around the Mavs is changing (and getting more challenging). In that context, given the nature of competition, there is indeed a need to "keep up with the Joneses" at all times.

But that greater urgency isn't just from seeing the competition getting better, but also from the opportunity created by that stouter competition. Seeing the handwriting on the wall, some teams are already throwing up their hands in resignation for the year. As a result, some crucial opportunities might be sitting there that won't be available later. So strike while the iron is hot! Does it make any sense to stay the same little band fighting the same battle once more, when help is out there begging to be grabbed? I don’t think so.

Yes Devin Harris has been developing, and Brandon Bass is new. But the core here is still a Dirk-Josh-Jet-Stack team with some solid centers anchoring the middle, and the preservation of that core which provides strength also starts to become its greatest weakness over time. Change is refreshing and even necessary at some point, and nothing of actual substance has been changing on this team in years. It’s time.

So what would you do, you ask? Here's where I'd begin.

I'd start with two calls to address the ongoing hole on this team at shooting guard. First I'd call the Clippers to see if there is some way to revive those "Jason Terry for Corey Maggette" talks of last summer. Terry wasn't quite enough to entice LA then, but what would it take NOW? Second I'd call Memphis and gauge their willingness to trade Mike Miller (which they've sounded open to doing) and determine the price. Based on their Gasol move, expiring contracts, picks, and youngsters are the things needed to do a deal with them.

Do the Mavs have the assets to get one of those players? Maybe. I can even devise semi-feasible ways to get both in one big 3-way deal where Terry goes to LA, Maggette comes back along with the Mavs taking unused Aaron Williams to sweeten the offer, and then the Mavs sending Williams and some more expiring/cheap pieces to Memphis for Miller and squeezed out-of-favor backup PG Kyle Lowry. Williams-George-Ager-Juwan to Memphis would be enough to satisfy the trade rules, and the flexible-but-expensive KVH angle doesn't even have to be utilized to do any of that. And before those get dismissed as impossible, let's focus on one important truth: if those players are somehow available (which would seem to be true), and if the price isn't exorbitant or out of reach (which would seem to be the case with both), then why can't the Mavs get one or both for some offer or another?

What's so special about those players? Maggette is a force at SG with a PER close to 20. He attacks and in fact he is No. 2 in the entire NBA in his ability to draw fouls. Lowry also has shown a top-level aptitude in drawing fouls from the PG position. Miller is an even better sharpshooter than Terry from the perimeter, and he's big, not small. All those players have some flaws of course, but they could alter the landscape and change the dynamic in Mavsland without reducing the general talent base to do so.

Of course the devil is in the details.

For starters, according to LA coach Dunleavy, LA's owner turned down Terry-for-Maggette in the summer, so would the Mavs taking Williams' deal be enough added benefit to entice them? If not, how much more would it take? A pick? A youngster with potential?

And then on the Memphis end, in that outline above we've constructed a way to provide for Miller's salary to be erased from Memphis' future, but that’s not enough. If we want a deal they'll also expect to get something that will offer some potential on-court value for their future. For Gasol their superstar, it took two No. 1 picks, plus LA's 2007 No. 1 pick, and a player still in Europe. Could the Mavs get it done for Miller with just a single No. 1 and a player in Europe? Just two No 1s? A No. 1 and a youngster like Fazekas or one of the kids in Europe? Two No. 1s and some of that young potential? Given the price for Gasol, some sort of offer like that should work, shouldn't it?

It could look something like this:
* Dallas sends Terry and a #1 pick to LAC, and sends George, Ager, Juwan, Fazekas, R Terry, and a No. 1 pick to Memphis.
* Dallas gets Maggette from LAC and gets Miller and Lowry from Memphis.
* LAC sends Maggette to Dallas and sends Williams to Memphis.
* LAC gets Terry and a No. 1 pick from Dallas.
* Memphis sends Miller and Lowry to Dallas.
* Memphis gets Williams from LAC and gets George, Ager, Juwan, Fazekas, R Terry, and a No. 1 pick from Dallas.

Of course there are lots of ways to negotiate those deals a bit differently as needed. Different picks maybe, or different youngsters. And both of these owners are extremely cash focused, so perhaps you offer cash to pay for some of the salary, or to sweeten things slightly, in lieu of picks or players. There is more than one way to skin a cat - errrr, to make a trade desirable.

Obviously both teams might say no. Or maybe one says yes and the other no. If LA says no but Memphis wants to deal, then it will take a bit of that pigeonholed KVH asset to make the expirings big enough. If Memphis says no but LA wants to deal, then taking back the Williams contract becomes tax prohibitive, so a different incentive needs to be added. But if you chase a bit here, one or more of those teams might just say yes, in which case the SG position just got populated with one or more legitimate threats that are big enough to be a SG and can actually put the ball in the hoop.

But what will the Mavs do if both teams said yes? How could they possibly make it work with both Miller and Maggette added? I don't know, but this team has been deficient at SG for so long that I can't see how the extra talent would be a problem. Too much talent at SG? I'm not gonna worry about it until it happens. (But in the worst-case scenario, where the Mavs get both and it just doesn't work, wouldn't it be nice to have a surplus of talent to use in a summer trade to erase other needs?)

In addition, if you have too much punch at the SG, isn't that a significant change that completely changes the dynamic of this team? You've gone from weakness to strength, allowing you to attack games in a very different way.

And if these don't work, there are other places to look. For example, Ron Artest appears to be available. If the price is right, isn't he an alternative worth pursuing?

So these ideas include trading Jason Terry, a superior shooter and fan favorite. Why him? Because, in my opinion, he really isn't capable of filling needed holes on this roster, and if you are going to make a change it has to alter some part of the core itself.

Out of the core, Jet makes the most sense as being a combination of tradable and replaceable. The Mavs need a backup PG at times, but he's not really able to get that job done. (Yes, I wrote recently that he was a more-than-capable replacement at that position while Harris is hurt, but boy was I wrong. He's regressed significantly there and has seemingly been passed by Berea in that role.) And the Mavs also need a SG, but he's not big enough to properly fill that role either. As one of the top shooters in the NBA and a solid citizen, many teams covet having someone like him.

If the Mavs got Maggette, he's not the perimeter shooter Terry is, but he can attack a defense in ways the Mavs lack right now, which would provide a fresh and different dynamic. And if they also got Miller, he'd more than replace Terry's shooting, and he'd be a much bigger guard.

Those are the places I'd start. Hopefully that would be enough to get a deal done. But if not, I wouldn't stop. It's time to get aggressive and make something good happen. And yes, if need be, it’s time for Cuban to open that wallet and use that KVH chip to enhance the talent base.

Sometimes patience is a good thing. But from what I'm observing, this team is getting stale as a group. The landscape is changing. And the time is NOW. Add a new dynamic, a breath of fresh air, another threat or two, and then run through the playoffs. Yes this team is close to being "good enough" already, but now is not the time to be idle. If opportunity knocks, it's time for the Mavs to answer. In fact, in my opinion, it's time for the Mavs to do the knocking.

231pm feb 6 2008

Link

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

Totally agree. I love these group of players, I really do. And I wish it could of worked out. But this Mavs squad as a unit had its chance. They should of won the title, but it just didn't happen vs. the Heat. And last year the Mavs just ran into the hottest team on the planet, who just so happened to match up with them extremely well.

Will all these teams getting better around us, we've got to make a move. Got too. Like D Lord said, the landscape is changing in the West, we can't stand still and hope for the best anymore. I realize Avery likes this team, but there are ways to keep the core of this group together while also solidifying other facets of this club.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:28 PM   #3
Bathouse Bear

Bathouse Bear is infamous around these partsBathouse Bear is infamous around these partsBathouse Bear is infamous around these partsBathouse Bear is infamous around these parts

Im willing to give the current mavs one more playoff run before I say we have to blow everything up.
Bathouse Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:32 PM   #4
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Like DLord says. Its an upgrade business and we haven't been upgrading our team lately.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:42 PM   #5
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

I like the idea of Miller and Artest. Add Michael Redd to that group as well. Milwaukee is on the verge of blowing it up anywas. How about us making this deal tonight!!! Seriously though, Redd already signed a contract as a restricted FA with us 4-5 years ago. there must be something he liked then.
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:47 PM   #6
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL
Like DLord says. Its an upgrade business and we haven't been upgrading our team lately.
Exactly. I don't want to see the Mavs panic and make a bunch of moves just to do so but a tweak might need to be made.

The Spurs are rumored (if Ric Bucher is serious) to be interested in Tyrus Thomas from Chicago and Pop usually claims about this time that he likes the team and they'll go forward with them. Last night he said he can't make that claim this year. Could be CIA Pop at work but I'm sure they're looking to upgrade as well.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:51 PM   #7
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, we are at the point where it would be irresponsible for Cuban not to make a move. This team has flaws and tradable pieces. Get something done. Either of the trades mentioned above would be good.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:12 PM   #8
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathouse Bear
Im willing to give the current mavs one more playoff run before I say we have to blow everything up.
I said the exact same thing at the beginning of the season, but if there are opportunities to make good trades, then you better nab them before someone else does.

I would be very happy to get Mike Miller. I just wish he would cut his hair.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:27 PM   #9
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree with the idea of us needing to upgrade.

I would, however, do either one of the proposed deals.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:11 PM   #10
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

I'd go either or. Play Memphis and LAC against each other to get one of those guys along with a back up point--either Cassell or Lowry.

Either:

Harris/Cassell
Maggette/Jones
Howard/Stackhouse
Dirk/Ju. Howard
Damp/Diop

or:

Harris/Lowry
Miller/Jones
Howard/Stackhouse
Dirk/Ju. Howard
Damp/Diop

is the equal of the San Antonio/Phoenix/LAL squads and gives the Mavs a reasonable chance to compete for the championship.

Right now, I think the Mavs are a little talent short--with only a couple of years to get it done before Dirk begins to fade.

Dang. No matter how many times I edit I can't get the spelling right.

Last edited by SeriousSummer; 02-06-2008 at 08:13 PM.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:13 PM   #11
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousSummer
I'd go either or. Play Memphis and LAC against each other to get one of those guys along with a back up point--either Cassell or Lowry.

Either:

Harriss/Cassell
Maggette/Jones
Howard/Stackhouse
Dirk/Ju. Howard
Damp/Diop

or:

Harris/Lowry
Miller/Jones
Howard/Stackhouse
Dirk/Ju. Howard
Damp/Diop

is the equal of the San Antonio/Phoenix/LAL squads and gives the Mavs a reasonable chance to compete for the championship.

Right now, I think the Mavs are a little talent short--with only a couple of years to get it done before Dirk begins to fade.

or:

Harris/Lowry
Miller/
With Maggette yes, with Miller we'r still behind IMO

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:33 PM   #12
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

I'd trade J-Ho for Maggette straight up because I'm tired of seeing J-ho taking 19 foot jumpers instead of driving to the rim. Maggette is second with freethrows attempted in the league, and i would also trade terry and someone else for mike miller.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:07 AM   #13
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxdemxO
With Maggette yes, with Miller we'r still behind IMO
I disagree. I'd love to have either of them, but of the two I'd honestly take Miller first.

Either way, solid article from DLord. These are the two names I've been praying for a few months now. Good to know I'm not the only one to see how weak this team is at the 2, and that Jason Kidd would not slove our problems.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:09 AM   #14
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

God I would love to have Mike Miller on this team. Would absolutely love it.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:16 AM   #15
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

I like the fact that most Dallas fans understand that this team could use an upgrade, but we also all understand that a panic trade won't help anything.

I would really like to see a solid move made. I think they are out there. It's just going to take some guts. I hope the Mavs will, if the situation presents itself.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:57 AM   #16
mavsontnt

mavsontnt is on a distinguished road

I agree with u about making a solid move, especially at the shooting guard position. I like maggette and miller , although maggette is injury prone. And because of that I think I would rather have miller, hes the better 3 point shooter anyway. I would hate to trade Bass, because its hard to find a guy like him who can play defense and also have a good offensive game.
mavsontnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:00 AM   #17
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsontnt
I agree with u about making a solid move, especially at the shooting guard position. I like maggette and miller , although maggette is injury prone. And because of that I think I would rather have miller, hes the better 3 point shooter anyway. I would hate to trade Bass, because its hard to find a guy like him who can play defense and also have a good offensive game.
Bass can play defense?
Old 02-07-2008, 01:01 AM   #18
RizAmlani

RizAmlani is on a distinguished road

Maggette over Miller

Interviewer: Was it a little ridiculous how Dwyane Wade got all the calls?

TMac: Yeah, yeah it really was. I'll tell you man, it seems if you were watching that game, seemed like it was rigged. Seriously. I know the NBA.... (cut off by interviewer)
RizAmlani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:04 AM   #19
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

I would like to see Maggette here most of all really.. he is big and will slash to the rim.. we need a another dynamic like him rather than another shooter. Though Mike Miller is absolutely deadly at the 3 shot, but that really isnt the direction we should be moving towards. But if we had Kidd here, Id want Miller here as well in a second. if not, Id like another aggressive, slasher.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:11 AM   #20
mavsontnt

mavsontnt is on a distinguished road

Yes, when motivated Bass can play good defense. He really moves his feet really well and is a really good shot blocker for his size. The one thing he needs to get better at defensively is to use his hands better.
mavsontnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:19 AM   #21
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizAmlani
Maggette over Miller
I'd take either of them. I like Miller more because he can shoot the three as well as anyone in the league, and he can play some point. With him we're automatically a better shooting team and a better passing team.

Maggette isn't quite as versatile and with him we'd still be somewhat weak from 3 pt territory, but he's just so strong and so good at getting to the paint and he'd still make us a much better offensive team.

If we get either of these guys I'd be happy.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:55 AM   #22
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizAmlani
Maggette over Miller

That debate depends on who we give up to make the deal happen... If we lose JET, then we need another outside shooter to spread the floor - in that case, Miller makes more sense... But then again, Maggette is more of what we need for this team in its current form...

I like DLord's scenario of us getting both of them (regardless of the chances of it actually happening...)

And I like either of them better than giving up Harris for Kidd (simply because I don't like the idea of putting all our eggs in one basket, like Phoenix just did with Shaq...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:07 AM   #23
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

If we're giving up Jet, the idea of getting Maggette and not Miller is scary. We'd have no consistent 3 point shooter whatsoever (until Dirk gets his act together on that front). I don't know many teams that do that well in the playoffs without at least 1 (preferrably more) consistent outside shooter.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:30 AM   #24
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

getting both would be a crazy idea if it happened...it's a pretty different roster.

I'm almost thinking the Memphis deal is stronger. You'll still have Jones and Hassell for defensive help off the bench. Still have Bass and Diop as your back-up bigs. You fill your hole at the 2 and get a natural point guard.

The reason I like the Clipper deal is that we'd get a guy who is fearless and attacks the rim. We'll potentially still need a viable 2nd point guard. Cassell is not going to cut it for me.

In either case, we still need a healthy Stack for points off the bench. And like ProdigyDub said, depending on the deal, you'll need to potentially look at perimeter shooting.

I would definitely push for the Memphis deal FIRST. If you can get that done. You go "no guts, no glory" and push for that Clipper deal, as well.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 02-07-2008 at 02:33 AM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:31 AM   #25
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
If we're giving up Jet, the idea of getting Maggette and not Miller is scary. We'd have no consistent 3 point shooter whatsoever (until Dirk gets his act together on that front). I don't know many teams that do that well in the playoffs without at least 1 (preferrably more) consistent outside shooter.
I totally agree. That's the main reason I'd rather have Miller than Maggette.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:32 AM   #26
Darke

Darke has a spectacular aura aboutDarke has a spectacular aura aboutDarke has a spectacular aura about

Miller, reasons above
Darke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:55 AM   #27
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

Either Miller of Redd should be the first priorities. Good to see I am not the only one who sees 3 point shooting as a main weakness of this team.

I also think Miller might be much much cheaper right now, since Memphis is in a blow it up mode. If all it took for Gasol was Kwame, Crittenton and some lowly draft picks Miller can be had for Ager and some expiring contracts, Devean or even Stack to be honest. And Miller is a good team guy, I have heard he always fits well with teammates. Maggette on the other hand is known to be a little headcase.

I would love it though if we got rid of our group of useless wings for both of them. Miller at 2, Maggette as a backup to him and Josh. Man this team would be something.
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:37 AM   #28
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

DLord = awesomeness
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:43 AM   #29
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

I would prefer Miller over Maggette.

Miller:

- Bigger: 6-8 ft to 6-6

- At the rebounds they are about the same. This season, Miller is a little better: 6,7 to 5,9

- A way better shooter: 51% to 47% and three point shooter: 43% to 38%

- Has more assists: 3,7 to 2,7

- Is less injury prone

- Can play shooting guard and small forward!

Maggette:

- Better slasher

- Better at steals

- A little better at efficiency

- Way better at getting to the free throw line

So I think Miller is more versatile than Maggette. You are able to get these starting lineup:

Harris
Howard
Miller
Nowitzki
Damp

This would be a lineup with great offense and decent defense. All three (Howard/Miller/Nowitzki) are good 3-point shooter, which will them allow to stretch the floor on offense. Also it is possible to switch Miller to the shooting guard spot (a 6-8 ft (!) tall).

In my opinion (as I said in the other thread) would be the best way to get him for George, Hassel and Ager, which would work as per RealGm Trade Checker: Trade ID #4471129

Does anyone on this board think George, Hassel or Ager will get any playing time under Avery, if everyone on the team is healthy again? I don´t think so. If we could make this deal, we would get rid of players which won´t play anyhow, and tighten our bench, so it would be easier in getting the players time on the floor. We also would keep JET as the sixth man.

If Memphis doesn´t like this deal, we also could trade only 2 of the combination above and sign KVH to a contract as trade filler.

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs

Last edited by Dr.Zoidberg; 02-07-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:06 AM   #30
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

Damn... either one of these would be great and every one of us needs to email all of the Mavs front office our concerns about this. Miller and/or Maggette alllll the way. We dont need anothe superstar like the others, we need someone that will actually fit well with this team and either of those two do.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:11 AM   #31
slowmo

slowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really nice

This is all great speculation but with Avery being extremely stubborn on "We like our team" then he is prepared to go all or nothing this season. I hope his job is on the line because I see the mav's regressing slightly and now with the West landscape changing I fear we will see an early exit again in the playoffs unless we do something. DLords article is right on. GET 'ER Done!
Old 02-07-2008, 09:22 AM   #32
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmo
This is all great speculation but with Avery being extremely stubborn on "We like our team" then he is prepared to go all or nothing this season. I hope his job is on the line because I see the mav's regressing slightly and now with the West landscape changing I fear we will see an early exit again in the playoffs unless we do something. DLords article is right on. GET 'ER Done!
That quote by Avery sounds more like a spin answer. "Like" means improvements could be made. I like the team too, but does anyone Love it? Love would come with Miller or Maggette .

Old 02-07-2008, 09:43 AM   #33
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

As much as I would love to get Mike Miller.. I doubt Memphis would trade him to a DIVISION rival. Even if their team is terrible.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:20 AM   #34
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

I am for any trade that would include Ager as filler.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #35
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

if Dallas could make both the trade moves that DLord suggested without having to get into the KVH stuff, then they would need to make one more move, but it would be painful.

Diop, JHo, and KVH to Indy for JO.

Indy gets a defensive center, a budding star, and cap relief.
Dallas finishes the make-over.

Dallas lineup then.

Harris, Lowry, JJB
Miller, Jones, Hassell
Maggette, Stack
Dirk, Bass
JO, Damp

They could go big, small, or any other way, and score inside or outside, and still be descent defensively. They could run, or slow it down. Play inside out, or slash.

If you could be lucky enough that JHO + KVH = JO instead of having to include Diop, all the better. Match-ups just got massively sweeter. Against LA, Damp/Bynum, Dirk/Gasol, JO or Bass/Odom. You still have Hassell and Jones for Kobe. They have no one to guard Devin, because Fisher and Farmar can't. Phoenix, Dallas would have Damp/Shaq, JO/Amare, Dirk or Bass/Diaw or Hill, Maggs or Miller on Bell (I like this), Devin on Nash/Barbosa.
Dallas/SA -- Dallas just matches up too well with SA, I'm not going to type it out.

I like JHo, but if he and KVH could get an inside force......Dallas would be smart to make the trade. Somehow I bet Indy would want Harris as well though, and that would be a deal breaker for me.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson

Last edited by dalmations202; 02-07-2008 at 10:23 AM.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:27 AM   #36
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
if Dallas could make both the trade moves that DLord suggested without having to get into the KVH stuff, then they would need to make one more move, but it would be painful.

Diop, JHo, and KVH to Indy for JO.

Indy gets a defensive center, a budding star, and cap relief.
Dallas finishes the make-over.

Dallas lineup then.

Harris, Lowry, JJB
Miller, Jones, Hassell
Maggette, Stack
Dirk, Bass
JO, Damp

They could go big, small, or any other way, and score inside or outside, and still be descent defensively. They could run, or slow it down. Play inside out, or slash.

If you could be lucky enough that JHO + KVH = JO instead of having to include Diop, all the better. Match-ups just got massively sweeter. Against LA, Damp/Bynum, Dirk/Gasol, JO or Bass/Odom. You still have Hassell and Jones for Kobe. They have no one to guard Devin, because Fisher and Farmar can't. Phoenix, Dallas would have Damp/Shaq, JO/Amare, Dirk or Bass/Diaw or Hill, Maggs or Miller on Bell (I like this), Devin on Nash/Barbosa.
Dallas/SA -- Dallas just matches up too well with SA, I'm not going to type it out.

I like JHo, but if he and KVH could get an inside force......Dallas would be smart to make the trade. Somehow I bet Indy would want Harris as well though, and that would be a deal breaker for me.

Josh Howard = Healthy
Jermaine Oniel = Never Healthy
Old 02-07-2008, 10:31 AM   #37
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeball
As much as I would love to get Mike Miller.. I doubt Memphis would trade him to a DIVISION rival. Even if their team is terrible.
That would be less shocking then lets say...trading Gasol to the LAKERS for NOTHING.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:36 AM   #38
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookit
Josh Howard = Healthy
Jermaine Oniel = Never Healthy
^^^^In the above scenerio:::
Josh Howard = SG/SF type on a team with Stack, EJones, Miller, Magette, Bass, and Hassell who also want minutes at the 3. If the trade is made, Dirk would also be playing some 3.

JO = inside post player that is 7', that defends well, is a legit shot-blocker, and can play both the center and PF spots spelling both Dirk and Damp.

Are their legitimate injury concerns - yes. Would Dallas be a stronger team with JO instead of JHo (IF) the other two trades do happen? I think they would be much stronger.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:42 AM   #39
Bookit
Diamond Member

Are their legitimate injury concerns - yes. Would Dallas be a stronger team with JO instead of JHo (IF) the other two trades do happen? I think they would be much stronger.

Not if JO is in a suit most of the time. Doesn't he have serious knee problems?

Last edited by Bookit; 02-07-2008 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:43 AM   #40
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

From Miami Herald:
Quote:
What's next?

If you think Shaq being traded is the only move Riley will make before the deadline, you're crazy. As of now, the Heat would have about $16 mil or so to sign free agents this offseason if Marion opts out, and assuming the Heat attempts to hold onto Dorell Wright.

So there are a couple of ways to go with what's left on the roster.

The Heat could try to trade Mark Blount and/or Udonis Haslem to a team in need of size and/or toughness and with expiring contracts to offer in return (Golden State comes to mind, with Mickael Pietrus and a couple pieces to offer... Dallas and Houston are also possibilities).

If that happens, then the Heat will have enough space to sign two MAX contract players.

If that can't happen, then the other option is to trade one of its expiring contracts for a quality player that would alter the free agency approach. If, for example, the Heat trades Jason Williams for Mike Miller (a trade that J-Will actually thinks is quite possible), then the Heat could have a core of Wade, Marion, Miller and a top draft pick, if Marion doesn't opt out. If Marion does opt out, then the Heat would still have space to sign a significant player to add to the trio of Wade, Miller, Haslem and draft pick.

I think the first option of going for more space is ideal, but it's not the only way to go. And if it appears impossible to trade for more space, I wouldn't be surprised if Riles goes the other way.

Link
So it seems, Miami could also be in the Mike Miller race!

"Talk to the claw."