Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-24-2010, 04:49 PM   #921
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Mavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
How sweet would it be for Dirk to get the scoring title.
But that would mean he isn't getting much support from teammates...right? Not so sure that is a good thing...
Mavericks Rockets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2010, 05:13 PM   #922
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavericks Rockets Fan View Post
But that would mean he isn't getting much support from teammates...right? Not so sure that is a good thing...
Looking at the Celtics, the way to go is to actually reduce an individual player's numbers as ist indeed indicates that there's more than one player who can contribute. Pierce, Allen and Garnett's numbers all dropped when they formed the Big 3 in Boston. I don't know about the Lakers and Pau and Kobe's numbers, but they only have a Big 2 in LA (a great one, admittedly).
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:22 PM   #923
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger View Post
Looking at the Celtics, the way to go is to actually reduce an individual player's numbers as ist indeed indicates that there's more than one player who can contribute. Pierce, Allen and Garnett's numbers all dropped when they formed the Big 3 in Boston. I don't know about the Lakers and Pau and Kobe's numbers, but they only have a Big 2 in LA (a great one, admittedly).
Unfortunately the dirkster doesn't have anyone in the same zip code as pearce/gasol to help him out. His number 2's are so inconsistent that he expects to have to carry the load..
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:02 AM   #924
DMOC

DMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of light

The scoring title doesn't matter for Dirk ... I think. And isn't he shooting almost 10% better than the first guy, Kevin Durant?
DMOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:42 AM   #925
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger View Post
There have been plenty of teams whove had success with someone putting up dominant individual numbers just a few examples off the top of my head. Kobe from the recent lakers, shaq from the shaq lakers, jordan from the bulls, dream from the rockets, jordan again, isiah from the pistons, bird from the celtics all put up monster numbers.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:50 AM   #926
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMOC View Post
The scoring title doesn't matter for Dirk ... I think. And isn't he shooting almost 10% better than the first guy, Kevin Durant?
KD currently has an .566 true shooting percentage, while Dirk is rockin' a - wait for it - .620 TS. Which is really just out of this world. Those are Kareem-Abdul Jabbar numbers. Think about it, even Duran't efficiency is good, but compared to Dirk, it's night and day. Really just incredible.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:24 AM   #927
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
KD currently has an .566 true shooting percentage, while Dirk is rockin' a - wait for it - .620 TS. Which is really just out of this world. Those are Kareem-Abdul Jabbar numbers. Think about it, even Duran't efficiency is good, but compared to Dirk, it's night and day. Really just incredible.
A valuable contribution to the random dirk is great thread. +1...

That really is something else. Who are the leaders?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 11-25-2010, 12:13 PM   #928
LetsGoMavs
Diamond Member

LetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant future

Dirks seven points in 30 seconds...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWGBnlWxpl4

(Seems to be from the same dude who used to upload all those Roddy vids)
Old 11-25-2010, 12:56 PM   #929
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoMavs View Post

somebody somewhere mentioned the dejected fans. I love it!!!
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:03 PM   #930
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
A valuable contribution to the random dirk is great thread. +1...

That really is something else. Who are the leaders?
Probably some scrub, but let's see the go to guys, first options.

Dirk: .620

Durant: .566

Lebron: .559

Anthony: .556

Ellis: .555

Bryant: .544

Rose: .537

Wade: .532

True shooting percentage reveals how efficient a scorer really is (it's not perfect, but a good stat). The best example is Gallinari, you see his FG% at 38, you say, wow, that's horrible, and he's one of the most efficient scorers in the league, because he gets to the line so many times, and shooting a lot of three.

Note, among the top 20 scorers Ginobili and Kevin Martin has an even better TS than Dirk, but they're not really getting the same kind of attention as Dirk (and Ginobili is not really a first option), so i didn't want to include them. Also, it pissed me off that they had a higher number, what the eff are they thinking? They can't keep it up anyway. I looked up Chandler's TS%, its currently at .769 Feed this monster!

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 11-25-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:13 PM   #931
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
somebody somewhere mentioned the dejected fans. I love it!!!
I love TCs reaction to that last shot.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:38 PM   #932
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

"That...is...effective defense" swish. LMAO. There is no effective defense against the Uberman bizatches. You just pray he'll miss.

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 11-25-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:22 PM   #933
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, my reaction was pretty intense. Let's just say it involved pelvic thrusts.

Oh, you meant Chandler? My bad. I guess I haven't reached the get-my-own-initials stage yet.

Last edited by tcat075; 11-25-2010 at 08:07 PM.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:25 PM   #934
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoMavs View Post

Yeah, the two main youtube users who post good Maverick videos are Kikeon (this guy) and christianwussow. Check out their video history if you want some good Mavericks stuff.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:30 PM   #935
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

NBATV commented on Kevin Love's two 30/20 games within 7 games of each other and said the last time this happened was Uber in 2002.

Oh Dirk...

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:06 PM   #936
mavErika
Golden Member

mavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant future

people click this blog post to savor the heat's failure, but espn makes them learn some along the way about the serious Dirkage the poor OKC Thunder endured from day one on. Bravo!
Quote:
• Dirk Nowitzki scored 34 points to lead the Dallas Mavericks over the Oklahoma City Thunder, and he is now averaging 33.8 PPG against the Thunder since their relocation. LeBron James (31.5) is the only other player averaging more than 30 points per game since then versus Oklahoma City.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
NBATV commented on Kevin Love's two 30/20 games within 7 games of each other and said the last time this happened was Uber in 2002.

Oh Dirk...
now reading this, I take back the "Bravo" to some degree, why would they make that stupid "in the first 16 games" restriction on the following nugget?

Quote:
...Love is the third player in the past 25 seasons with multiple 30-point, 20-rebound games in his team's first 16 contests, joining Hakeem Olajuwon and Charles Barkley.
mavErika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #937
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

^I'm just going by the analysts on NBATV, but perhaps it's the within close games of each other thing....not the first 16 contests. That is a little different.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:49 PM   #938
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post

Oh Dirk...
I havent looked this up so I could be wrong but Im fairly certain dirk didnt have 2 30/20 games. He had a 33/23 game against Boston after the NVE Lafrentz trade but before they got here so we were ridiculously short handed and the next game he had I believe 23 and 21. I remember something about him and patrick ewing and maybe Drob being the only people ever to have consecutive games in which they had at least 20 defensive rebounds.(all of dirks 21 rebounds in the 2nd game were defensive)

edit as it turns out i was right about the next game not being a 30 point game. It was a 26 point game. He did however have ANOTHER 30/20 game shortly thereafter. He actually had 4 20/20 games in less than 2 months that year.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 11-25-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:57 PM   #939
tcat075
Diamond Member

Just looked it up because I was curious (and shocked that there was ever a time Dirk grabbed 20 boards) and because everyone is doubting Dirk's amazingness.

Yes, he had two games of 30+, 20+, within 7 games of each other, and two more than fall just short of that stat.

2/21/02: 33 points and 23 rebounds, with 8 assists and 4 blocks just for fun
2/23/02: 26 points and 21 rebounds (back to back games, but a little shy on the points to get 30/20)

(four games, include this one on the 23th, were played between the 21st and the 5th.)

3/05/02: 30 points and 20 rebounds (though 8 turnovers...yikes)
4/06/02: 26 points and 21 rebounds

That's four games of 25+ points, 20+ boards in just over a little of a month's span.

That's Dirk for ya.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:00 PM   #940
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
Just looked it up because I was curious (and shocked that there was ever a time Dirk grabbed 20 boards) and because everyone is doubting Dirk's amazingness.

Yes, he had two games of 30+, 20+, within 7 games of each other, and two more than fall just short of that stat.

2/21/02: 33 points and 23 rebounds, with 8 assists and 4 blocks just for fun
2/23/02: 26 points and 21 rebounds (back to back games, but a little shy on the points to get 30/20)

(four games, include this one on the 23th, were played between the 21st and the 5th.)

3/05/02: 30 points and 20 rebounds (though 8 turnovers...yikes)
4/06/02: 26 points and 21 rebounds

That's four games of 25+ points, 20+ boards in just over a little of a month's span.

That's Dirk for ya.
yeah i did the same thing. i wasnt doubting dirks greatness, its just that I happen to vividly remember those games and the 20 defensive rebound game stats.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:00 PM   #941
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
yeah i did the same thing. i wasnt doubting dirks greatness, its just that I happen to vividly remember those games and the 20 defensive rebound game stats.
Well, I admitted I was surprised. I mean, sure, with a career that long and as many minutes he was given, of course he'd get some 20 board games, but having four in that short of a span shocked me. I'll remind everyone I wasn't around for all this (I was 8 when Dirk was doing this), and while Dirk is awesome and a good rebounder, I never realize he used to be that good. I know now.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:13 PM   #942
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
THere's a mavs fan (white hat, black shirt) a few rows behind the bench who can't keep himself in his seat as the play unfolds. He knows what's about to happen. As the shot goes in, he's throwing out the "That's what I'm talking about" hand gesture, while everyone else is putting their head in their hands.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:59 PM   #943
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
Well, I admitted I was surprised. I mean, sure, with a career that long and as many minutes he was given, of course he'd get some 20 board games, but having four in that short of a span shocked me. I'll remind everyone I wasn't around for all this (I was 8 when Dirk was doing this), and while Dirk is awesome and a good rebounder, I never realize he used to be that good. I know now.
Matt has an extraordinary memory, to be able to recall that. Or...maybe I have a bad one. Looking back at it, 20 boards in a game is a very rare accomplishment, especially for such a young player and one who would not be considered prone to rebounding prowess in the first place. Either way, nice recall, 5-0.

And tcat, you are just 16? Jeez, they make them young these days.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:06 AM   #944
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Matt has an extraordinary memory, to be able to recall that. Or...maybe I have a bad one. Looking back at it, 20 boards in a game is a very rare accomplishment, especially for such a young player and one who would not be considered prone to rebounding prowess in the first place. Either way, nice recall, 5-0.

And tcat, you are just 16? Jeez, they make them young these days.
I'm 17 as of last week. I've mentioned it before; guess you weren't around to see it. I got the same reaction in that thread.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:00 PM   #945
dude1394
Guru

Thunder post game video from Oklahoma paper...One of the commentators..
http://www.newsok.com/analysis-thund...o/687204600001
"Dirk Nowitzki one of the best 4th quarter closers in the game, I think".

Also in the paper blog notes. Seems this is the same Darnell Mayberry that is in the video, obviously an EXTREMELY intelligent sports announcer.
http://blog.newsok.com/thunderrumbli...1-thunder-103/
Quote:
Knowing that Dallas was on the second night of a back-to-back, John Rohde said to me early in the game that Dirk Nowitzki looked tired. I leaned over and responded, ‘Wait until the fourth quarter.’
Old 11-26-2010, 02:09 PM   #946
mavErika
Golden Member

mavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Thunder post game video from Oklahoma paper...One of the commentators..
http://www.newsok.com/analysis-thund...o/687204600001
"Dirk Nowitzki one of the best 4th quarter closers in the game, I think".

Also in the paper blog notes. Seems this is the same Darnell Mayberry that is in the video, obviously an EXTREMELY intelligent sports announcer.
http://blog.newsok.com/thunderrumbli...1-thunder-103/
As you supposed I largely enjoyed his game notes, but these two points seemed to me if not wildly, very much over the top, especially the first:

Quote:
  • Dirk gets the biggest benefit of the doubt from the refs that I’ve ever seen any player get since M.J. The foul call that went against Nenad Krstic in the first half was the biggest bit of bogus officiating tonight. Krstic got a clean block, avoided contact with the body, but still got hit with the foul.
  • And need I mention all the traveling violations Dirk gets away with?
I think usually he does a good job of not moving the pivot foot, and if I'm correct, yesterday Dirk got called for travelling once when he didn't take care of that.
mavErika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:56 PM   #947
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavErika View Post
As you supposed I largely enjoyed his game notes, but these two points seemed to me if not wildly, very much over the top, especially the first:

I think usually he does a good job of not moving the pivot foot, and if I'm correct, yesterday Dirk got called for travelling once when he didn't take care of that.
Coming from someone who announces for Durant(whom I love), i find this hilarious.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:10 PM   #948
Mascha99

Mascha99 is just really niceMascha99 is just really niceMascha99 is just really niceMascha99 is just really niceMascha99 is just really niceMascha99 is just really niceMascha99 is just really nice
Default The underrating of Dirk

Dirk is underrated in the NBA, and in Germany, as well.
Why is that so? I think there are several reasons, some of which I will try to describe.

His heritage
He is German, from a small, conservative town in Bayern, Würzburg. He was brought up sheltered, by very sportive parents, the mother a basketball player, the father a handball player. An administrative center of Bavaria, Würzburg is a dull as it comes, low crime rate, good schools, not much to do but play sports and get an education.
In Germany sports sport players are taught at an early age that the team is the star, not the player. Good players have to learn to fit into a team or they will be shunned by other players, if they try to put themselves too much into the focus of the team. That’s one of the reasons why the German National soccer team got 3 world championships – they played as teams even if they did not have the best players.
Dirks heritage is the root of some of his best traits: His unselfishness, his sense of duty, his work ethics, the lack of heroics, professional attitude, punctuality, lack of machismo, the attitude he shows the media and fans.
What he misses because of his heritage is the machismo sometimes displayed on street basketball courts, the need to put himself in the focus, the aggressiveness learned in the ghetto, showmanship.
Of course, all this makes him a great teammate and coaches probably love him for that. But, and this is one important point, he lacks the will or the ability to electrify the crowd or his teammates by theatrical outbursts. He tries to lead by example, and while that is a great character trait, he sometimes misses the charisma of guys like Bird or Jordan to play invincible, trash talk or overwhelm opponents by their cockiness.
About the machismo thing. If provoked by other players he does not retaliate, and that’s the logical thing to do. Why risk a suspension when he can punish the other team by giving them 40 points? That’s just logical and I am sure Dirk thinks the other guys behavior is a bit funny or sad, because after all, they are all just playing a game and not trying to prove their manlihood on the court. Of course, lots of american fans see it different and want him to show he is a man when provoked. In Germany that is very frowned upon.

His body
Dirk is long, lanky, does not have huge muscles, looks slow and immobile. He looks a bit too tall to be normal, but if he was a 6 footer he could pass as a guy working in a bank. If you compare him to Shaq or Howard with their incredible bodies and the bulging muscles, it seems understandable why people look up more to them then to Dirk.
However, this looks are deceiving, he has great footwork, is much more mobile then he looks, uses his long limbs perfectly to get to the hole with long steps and is powerful enough to finish around the rim even with defenders all over him. He just doesn’t look the part.
This seemingly disadvantages however may prove to be blessing in disguise because he promises to be able to age very well in the NBA. Since he rarely jumps and his weight is on the lower side, the tear on his body is not too bad. Add his easy healing to that and he may very well play until he is 38 or even 40, becoming a role player at the end of course.
He has a great body balance and uses his body to near perfection, considering his height and the 113 Kilos he is carrying.

His shooting
I laughed out loud when the Thunder announcer called his shot ugly. Ugly is Marion’s shot, Dirks shot is functional. He does not have Ray Allens perfect, smooth shot, but he was blessed by Holger’s analytical mind. He has the highest release point of any current NBA player and because he is so tall, nobody can block him cleanly. His step back makes it even tougher on oppenents. With this shot and his shooting touch, he can play in the NBA for a long time. His incredible balance allows him to hit shots others would not even hit the rim with. His touch is unparalled for a 7 footer. His incredible free throw shooting does not excite fans of course, but it adds to the total points and helps a lot with spacing on the floor. His teammates often get good looks because Dirk gets doubled or tripled, but of course they have to make the shoots they are given.

His defense
His defense always seemed suspicious. But, he also had to carry a lot of offensive load and could not get cheap fouls called against him because he was needed to win games offensively during his carreer. However, his defense has improved a ton, his length alone makes it hard for smaller guys to go over him and his swiping at the ball from behind to block shots is very underrated. His rebound rate is also good, but being a shooter more then a dunker his offensive rebounds of course suffer.

In Germany Dirk is underrated because few people watch the NBA.
In the USA Dirk is underrated, because his impact on a game is overlooked by casual fans. He is a finesse player who creates huge match up problems. He rarely does sexy things on the court, doesn’t dunk (any more), his slow movements look funny at times and the many small things he has perfected, like his fakes, his handles, his passing rarely gets acknowledged.

Only advanced fans can really acknowledge the details of Dirk's game.

It is a shame, because a player like Dirk will probably not be seen in the NBA in the next ten years, and only after he has retired will fans see what extraordinary player they have lost.

Players and coaches know better and vote him into the Allstar game year after year, and most of them speak very highly of him.
Dirk is was he is. An unselfish player who loves to see his team win. He rarely talks bad about other players or teams, he is nice and humble. He is not a showman, he does not dunk, he does not trash talk, he does not boast and he does his job. He is not sexy in a way that guys like Jordan is sexy, he just plays Basketball as it is supposed to be played. As a team sport. Perhaps that is the reason why he is underrated so much?

Last edited by Mascha99; 11-26-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Mascha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:02 PM   #949
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mascha99 View Post
He is a finesse player who creates huge match up problems. He rarely does sexy things on the court, doesn’t dunk (any more), his slow movements look funny at times and the many small things he has perfected, like his fakes, his handles, his passing rarely gets acknowledged.
Hey, hey, hey, I'll have you know that Dirk has a grand total of two dunks this year! How dare you insult him like that!?

Good post, and I think the other reason he isn't appreciated is because he's been around a long time, yet never won anything. Thus, everyone knows who he is but dismiss him. They've all heard his story by now, seen some games of him, know he a Euro who shoots threes, and think that's all.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:25 AM   #950
dude1394
Guru

from the spurts message board..

Quote:
Re: Game Blog: Mavs @ Spurs - Nov. 26 I've said it before I'll say it again, I fear every time Dirk shoots the ball. I don't feel the same about other superstars in the league like Kobe, Durant, etc.
You are damnnnnnnnnn straight.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:55 AM   #951
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavErika View Post
Dirk gets as much out of taking his two steps as is physically possible. He kicks up one leg right before catching the ball, which allows him the two steps. Opposing fans always want the travel call because he takes a long time with those two steps and he covers a lot of ground.

You can tell he practices that move, and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't if it was illegal.

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 11-27-2010 at 01:55 AM.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:11 AM   #952
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mascha99 View Post
What he misses because of his heritage is the machismo sometimes displayed on street basketball courts, the need to put himself in the focus, the aggressiveness learned in the ghetto, showmanship.
I'd say that's true in general. But as he was taking a shot near the end of the game in OKC, Dirk yelled "Thank you!" BEFORE the ball splashed through the net for the 107-93 lead. He was standing right in front of the Thunder bench at the time.

He showed them up pretty bad, and not only with his game.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:23 AM   #953
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

You magnificent beast.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:04 PM   #954
mavsman

mavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to behold

I don't know where to put this, but I was just watching the end of the OKC-HOU game and the Thunder were down one point with the ball and 3.1 secs to go. I've been getting so accustomed to having Dirk around that I didn't even think about this might be a problem. But of course it was. The NBA's leading scorer bricked the last shot like there's no tomorrow. And the announcers didn't even care, like they didn't expect him to make it. Boy, we're spoiled.
mavsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:13 PM   #955
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk is player of the week. Obviously.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/11/29/p....html?rss=true

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:25 PM   #956
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
Dirk is player of the week. Obviously.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/11/29/p....html?rss=true
Lol, I knew that 2 weeks ago.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:00 PM   #957
DMOC

DMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of light

So ... let's see if this week:

1. He can get his second PotW and catch up to the 4 he had last year

and

2. Move past Hal Greer
Old 11-29-2010, 06:16 PM   #958
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

http://streetballblog.com/dirk-nowitzki-for-mvp/

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki For MVP
November 29, 2010 By Ryan Mendez

If you asked me before the season if Dirk Nowitzki could win another MVP, I would have said no way. After 16 games, I’m saying that Dirk is a legit NBA MVP candidate for the 2010-11 season. The Dallas Mavericks are 12-4 and are playing some of the best basketball in the NBA.

Dirk Nowitzki is averaging 26.1 points per game and 8.2 rebounds per game for the Mavs. Dirk has been clutch thus far.

Whenever the Mavs need a bucket, Dirk always provides. Against Kevin Durant and the OKC Thunder, Dirk had 34 points. Against the Spurs, Dirk had 26. Against the struggling Miami Heat and Lebron James, Dirk had 22 points.

Dirk Nowitzki and the Mavs have had impressive wins against the New Orleans Hornets, OKC Thunder, San Antonio Spurs, Atlanta Hawks, Boston Celtics and the Miami Heat.

Looking at the short list of NBA MVP candidates and what they mean to their teams, there is not a more valuable player right now than Dirk Nowitzki.

The Mavs take on the Houston Rockets tonight. Look for Tyson Chandler to have another big game and look for the Mavs to improve to 13-4. I’ll be at the game tonight sitting in the first row behind the Mavs bench. Be on the lookout for exclusive Mavs videos and pics after the game and make sure to follow @ryan3mendez on twitter.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:27 AM   #959
DMOC

After 18 games into the season, Dirk has the second highest FG% of any player in the top 30 in scoring. The highest is Dwight Howard.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:24 PM   #960
Rick41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMOC View Post
After 18 games into the season, Dirk has the second highest FG% of any player in the top 30 in scoring. The highest is Dwight Howard.
Then that makes Dirk first. Dunking doesn't count in my book.

When Dwight steps out 18 feet and keeps his % where it's at, then I'll give him credit.

Tags
<clutch tagging>, 12-15 for 48 points, 3/25m - wow!, clutch nowitzki, clutchwitzki, dir30k, dirk, dirk = clutch...again, dirk goes to 11, dirk is my religion, dirk pwns ur face 4ever!!, dirk tea baggzz nba!!!!!, gay for dirk!!!, his clutchness, his hairness ?, playoff clutch, santa dirk, sir ghost face drillah, top-10 all time scorer, top-6 all time scorer