Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 01-23-2003, 09:54 AM   #1
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

LeBron reportedly not happy with Lucas firing.

Source: 'LeBron will never play for the Cavs'

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

The Cleveland Cavaliers might have opened up a bigger can of worms after the firing of head coach John Lucas.

Monday's move might have damaged relations with high school phenom LeBron James, who is the projected No. 1 pick in the NBA draft, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported Thursday.

Citing a source close to the Cavs, the newspaper reported that the firing did not go over well with the 6-8 senior from St. Vincent-St. Mary.

"I tell you what, LeBron will never play for the Cavs after this," the source told the newspaper. "LeBron really likes coach Lucas. He was mad when he heard about it."

James and Lucas' connection goes back to last summer, when James attended a private workout with some of the Cavaliers. The NBA suspended Lucas for two games at this season's start and fined the team $150,000 for a violation of league rules.

Lucas apparently also heard about James' reported feelings about his dismissal.

"I appreciate what LeBron said, but now I want my money back," Lucas told the newspaper, laughing.

James has no control over which team drafts him in June, but if he did not want to play for that team, he has some choices.

A team that drafts a player in the first round owns that player's rights until next year's draft if the team makes the player an offer by July 15. If the player does not sign, he can re-enter the draft and can be selected by any team. James could sit out a year, or according to the report, use the "threat" of not playing as trade leverage.

"Kobe [Bryant] and a lot of other guys have had a say about which franchises they wanted to play for, and this might make LeBron cross the Cavs off his list," the source told the Plain Dealer.

Cavs spokesman Ed Markey said neither he nor team general manager Jim Paxson could comment because NBA rules prohibit discussing players who have not declared for the draft.

The 49-year-old Lucas, who was in his second season with the Cavs and had another year remaining on his contract, was replaced by assistant Keith Smart.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2003, 10:54 AM   #2
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe this is Dallas' chance to finally steal away a draft pick they didn't deserve to have, like every other team in Texas has gotten to do in recent years? Like Orlando got with Shaq and Penny? Like Boston, Philly did in the 80s...

nahhh.. the Basketball Gods don't love us enough. And even Ted Stepien wouldn't figure out a way to lose 'Bron.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 11:15 AM   #3
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with you on this one, Dooby. When LeBron buys himself a new "crib," he'll have to have special doorways constructed, because there's no way his head can squeeze through a standard-sized opening.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:11 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

No prob Dooby....sometimes it just fits.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 12:14 AM   #5
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

He sounds too stupid to be anything over than a flame-out.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 12:36 AM   #6
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

I thought he was a cool person. Not as conceited as many others. It seems to be OTHERS like the Cavs, ESPN or beat writers that are praying on him, looking for stories where there really aren't any. Go Lebron!
Old 01-24-2003, 04:10 AM   #7
Cipherous

Cipherous is on a distinguished road

You have to remember that Lucas was fined $150K for working out Lebron. To Lebron, a 18 year old, it seems that Lucas was helping him out with his skills not actually scouting him. So imagine if you're a 18 year old kid and heard that the guy who held that work out for you, and was fined a hefty $150K, got fired, you'd be pissed too.

Lebron is a kid, give him a break. If you want point the finger, I say point the finger at ESPN and such for exploiting a kid like that. The kid didn't grow up with a father and had too many yes men and company executives riding his jock since he was 16.

Nuff said!

Old 01-24-2003, 04:44 AM   #8
BrianJ

BrianJ is on a distinguished road

lets blame ESPN. They are the ones who are creating this future multi-millionare. For 50 million dollars I don't feel sorry for this kids words getting twisted. 50 million bucks he should deserve to get his ass beat on ESPN by the general public for a year and it still does not equall the hype theyu have created. Were talking about him right now. They came up with this scheme long ago and Lebron is just a succesful guini pig. even if he sucks the team wins by having him for hype value. Frenchy your suppose to dislike the U.S start acting like it.
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 09:29 AM   #9
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

<< Lebron is a kid, give him a break. If you want point the finger, I say point the finger at ESPN and such for exploiting a kid like that. The kid didn't grow up with a father and had too many yes men and company executives riding his jock since he was 16. >>

Anyone remember Leon Smith?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 09:34 AM   #10
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Unfortunately....
Old 01-24-2003, 07:42 PM   #11
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

Lebron James does not equal Leon Smith!!!