Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 09-23-2003, 06:59 AM   #1
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all
Default Al Michaels to be Lead Announcer For ABC

I think this is good news....anything but frigging Brad Nessler. I heard they also hired Mike Breen, so maybe ABC is going to be a little better this year. We can only hope.

Al Michaels to be Lead Announcer For ABC

Al Michaels, one of television’s most respected journalists and commentators, will be the lead play-by-play announcer on ABC Sports’ coverage of the NBA beginning this season, it was announced today by Michael Pearl, senior vice president and executive producer of ABC Sports.
Michaels will make his NBA debut on ABC Sports on December 25. In addition to regular season games, he will be the lead play-by-play announcer on playoff games and all of the NBA Finals. With this assignment, Michaels will complete the professional sports league cycle. He has covered five Super Bowls, eight World Series and three Stanley Cup Finals.

“Al Michaels has been ABC Sports’ signature announcer and has often anchored the Network’s biggest events. He has put his unique stamp on ABC Sports premier primetime sports packages for many years, so it is fitting that he do the same now on ABC Sports’ NBA coverage,” said Pearl. “Al is knowledgeable, insightful and entertaining, which makes him the ideal person to broadcast the NBA on ABC Sports.”

“I am very excited about this,” said Michaels. “I have been fortunate over the last 27 years at ABC to have covered numerous World Series, Super Bowls and Olympic Games, and a vast array of memorable and classic events. And now, to be able to add the NBA to my ‘Monday Night Football’ assignment creates a perfect combination.”

Michaels has amassed more hours on primetime television than anyone in history. He is currently in the midst of his 18th season as the play-by-play announcer on “Monday Night Football,” and is also regarded as one of the best baseball announcers of all time. To date he has been on primetime a total of approximately 1900 hours. With the addition of the NBA Finals, Michaels will have broadcast all the major professional championships, including Super Bowls, World Series and Stanley Cup Finals, in addition to five Olympics. He also served as the play-by-play voice of the UCLA Bruins basketball team from 1973-1975, John Wooden’s final two seasons. Additionally, Michaels broadcast college basketball games for ABC in the late 1990’s.

Michaels has earned many accolades, including four Emmy Awards for Outstanding Sports Personality-Play-by-Play (Host) and three National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association Sportscaster of the Year Awards. He garnered his first NSSA Award in 1980, when he made his memorable call of the USA hockey team’s dramatic quest for the Gold medal in the Lake Placid Olympics. He also earned praise as a journalist, and became just the second sportscaster in history to receive a News Emmy nomination during the network’s coverage of the San Francisco earthquake during the 1989 Olympics.

Rounding out ABC's NBA play-by-play team will be Brad Nessler who will broadcast a mix of regular season and playoff games for the network. Nessler will also serve as ESPN's lead play-by-play commentator, handling regular-season and playoff games, including the Eastern Conference finals. One of the industry's most versatile commentators, Nessler, a 23-year broadcasting veteran, has called many of ABC Sports' and ESPN's top college football and basketball games, including last year’s NBA Finals and the BCS National Championship game. He joined ESPN in 1992, and added ABC Sports responsibilities in 1997. His resume also includes work on the Olympic Games and the NFL for CBS. He is the former radio voice of the Atlanta Falcons, Georgia Tech basketball and Minnesota Vikings.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2003, 11:21 AM   #2
Nicky31

Nicky31 is on a distinguished road

I wonder if Al Michaels has any free time between covering so many events to rest. He is my favorite T.V. sports announcer. Even like last night during Monday Night Football the game was Denver vs. Oakland, and to me that sounded like a boring matchup. Then I started to watch alittle bit of the game, and then I noticed that I had been watching for an hour. Al can make a boring game some what intresting, and that's a unique quality these days.

They forgot to mention that he is the play-by-play announcer for the video game Madden 2003 & 2004.
Nicky31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 12:13 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

denver and oakland sounds like a boring matchup?

it turned out to be one. But, that's one of the better rivalries in the AFC.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 01:38 PM   #4
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

One would think Michaels would be an improvement over Nessler, who stunk.

Old 09-23-2003, 03:35 PM   #5
ItalianMobbstah187

ItalianMobbstah187 is on a distinguished road

I actually think Nessler is a pretty good announcer, he just doesn't have the pedigree of Al Michaels....this is definitely a good move by ABC....too bad Walton will still be around, Michaels deserves much, much better....and please, Tom Tolbert is nowhere near qualified to be on the #1 network team.
ItalianMobbstah187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 04:45 PM   #6
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Who would you put on the No. 1 team? I think Michaels, Walton, and Tolbert sounds about right.
Old 09-23-2003, 04:47 PM   #7
Tarzan

Tarzan is on a distinguished road

Is John Thompson going to be calling games next season? He annoys me.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:44 PM   #8
ItalianMobbstah187

ItalianMobbstah187 is on a distinguished road

KG Vet, I totally respect your opinion, I just can't stand Walton....and Tolbert's goofiness can be annoying after a while. If they want a young up and comer for colorman Dan Majerle is great as is Tim Legler...and I love the Czar, Mike Fratello....but he'd have to weasel out of his other contract.
ItalianMobbstah187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 09:57 PM   #9
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

ABC is just trying their best to improve ratings. As I understand they even considered replacing Tom Tolbert and Bill. My personal feeling is that most of the ratings come from matchups. For e.g., people love to see LA Vs Kings or Kings Vs Mavs. But ABC cannot expect to have good ratings by putting AL Michaels in a game between Detroit vs Denver.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:29 AM   #10
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

IM187 - I can understand those that hate Walton. However, Tolbert, while perhaps goofy, is an excellent analyst. I like him on the first team.

I'll be curious to see how guys like Legler and Majerle do this year.

Old 09-24-2003, 09:38 AM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Tolbert's just about the best there is
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 10:50 AM   #12
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

My first team would be Michaels, Walton and Majerle.

Michaels brings the drama, Walton brings the hype and Majerle brings the serious analysis. Although he did a good job last year, if you could get a Dr. J type to fill Majerle's role, I would do it.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 02:50 PM   #13
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Speaking of announcers, I met on yesterday that I think would be better at calling basketball than most of the dweebs currently doing so even if it isn't his sport. Troy Aikman. But then again a semi trained chimpanzee wold be better than most of the dweebs currently calling NBA games. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2003, 07:20 PM   #14
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

He will probably do a good job, I can't stand Walton, I hope he gets fired. Tolbert knows his basketball, and I hope Michaels isn't just a football fan.
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 01:04 PM   #15
Nicky31

Nicky31 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
denver and oakland sounds like a boring matchup?

it turned out to be one. But, that's one of the better rivalries in the AFC.
Your right Murph, about it being a rivalry in the AFC, but I'm not real fond of any of the Bronco's players, and Oakland just plain stink so far in the regular season. This is the reason I said this matchup sounds boring for MNF. Just to pick a better matchup off the top of my head would be one of the matchups this weekend - Raven's vs. Chief's. That sounds like a more exciting matchup, but that's just me.

Nicky31 is offline   Reply With Quote