Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-17-2005, 08:36 AM   #1
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default Cha-ching! Another LAKERS Moneyball?!?!

Per the ticket, Pinto is a finalist for the Lakers radio play by play job. Huh? What? Hope it happens. Maybe move Fallowill up to the TV crew and put Coop on the radio gig.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2005, 08:38 AM   #2
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Cha-ching! Another LAKERS Moneyball?!?!

Read this somewhere else a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully it goes through. I'd like to hear Followill on TV. I can't pick up the radio station here, so that's a perfect place to put Cooperstein.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:45 AM   #3
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Cha-ching! Another LAKERS Moneyball?!?!

Yeah, I hope it happens too, wish they would take Ortegal too.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 09:12 AM   #4
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

The Lakers deserve Matt Pinto

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 10:00 AM   #5
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

i know pinto's son.

nice kid, sorta.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 10:04 AM   #6
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

No coop, no coop....His voice is like sandpaper to me.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 10:09 AM   #7
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Anything that moves Followill up in visibility is good.. I think that's a guy the Mavs org should hang on to as long as possible.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 10:15 AM   #8
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Pinto drives me nuts and would like to see him gone...Mark would be a good TV man, heck he's been working on the look for a long time now. I would also LOVE chuck behind the radio mic for the Mavs....that would be wonderful for him.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 10:15 AM   #9
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
Me too. Awful voice.

Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 10:26 AM   #10
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Boy would that every be sweet revenge on the Lakers to send them Pinto to be their play by play guy. If anyone deserves him it would be Kobe's team.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:33 AM   #11
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

cool. Brink on Mark followill.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:35 AM   #12
MaverickFFL2

MaverickFFL2 can only hope to improve

haha, do you guys not like Matt Pinto or somethin?

MaverickFFL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 10:40 AM   #13
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

AS Per Realgm.com Wiretap
Meyers Takes On Roll As The Voice Of The Lakers
17th June, 2005 - 2:00 am
ESPN - After firing Paul Sunderland as the Lakers play-by-play guy, longtime broadcaster Joel Meyers will assume the roll, doing play-by-play on Fox Sports and KCAL-TV, working with longtime color analyst Stu Lantz.

"It's an honor to work for the Lakers, whether it be radio or TV," Meyers said Thursday. "I'm very fortunate to be in the position I'm in." [READ]

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 10:49 AM   #14
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: dalmations202
AS Per Realgm.com Wiretap
Meyers Takes On Roll As The Voice Of The Lakers
17th June, 2005 - 2:00 am
ESPN - After firing Paul Sunderland as the Lakers play-by-play guy, longtime broadcaster Joel Meyers will assume the roll, doing play-by-play on Fox Sports and KCAL-TV, working with longtime color analyst Stu Lantz.

"It's an honor to work for the Lakers, whether it be radio or TV," Meyers said Thursday. "I'm very fortunate to be in the position I'm in." [READ]
i think pintos in the running for radio, not TV.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 10:53 AM   #15
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
i think pintos in the running for radio, not TV.
Good catch, I wasn't paying that much attention. Just caught the headline.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 11:10 AM   #16
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Is the Laker radio job more prestigious than the Maverick television job?
Old 06-17-2005, 11:16 AM   #17
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by: The Miles
Yeah, I hope it happens too, wish they would take Ortegal too.

Actually, I kinda like Ortegal. He is good, and not a blatant homer. He does seem to say "Why are they not pushing the ball?" waay too many times every game.
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 12:18 PM   #18
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bookit
Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
Me too. Awful voice.
"ANSWER THE QUESTION!!"

I don't mind Coop.. I don't particularly think he's a nice guy, but I don't mind him. He's entertaining when he gets all wound up about something.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 01:09 PM   #19
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

^^^^ and unlike many in this market....he actually knows basketball fairly well.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 01:18 PM   #20
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Wonder if there's any chance of getting the LA Times to hire Sefko?
Old 06-17-2005, 01:51 PM   #21
PepperTheMavsFan41

PepperTheMavsFan41 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: mary
The Lakers deserve Matt Pinto
Post of the month right there.
I can kill cause in god I trust.
It's EVOLUTION baby.
PepperTheMavsFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 02:53 PM   #22
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Didn't know so many people hated Pinto.

I wish we could get that guy with the country accent who does play-by-play for the Rockets. He's funny.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 03:10 PM   #23
LRB
Guru

I don't hate Pinto, but I do not care for his play by play calling which I find extremely annoying. There's very few people I would say I hate, but there are several who annoy the hell out of me. Pinto's is one step below annoying the hell out of me. He annoy's the heck out of me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2005, 03:47 PM   #24
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

So why is Pinto trying to leave the Mavs? Isn't play by play for the Mavs telecast a good job?
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 04:02 PM   #25
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Not all hate pinto, I think he's fine. Doesn't go nutty, likes his money-ball deal but everyone needs some schtick.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 04:06 PM   #26
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I get excited when the Mavs do something good, so it doesn't bother me in the least when the announcer gets excited, too. I find his schtick charming.

But that aside, Pinto strikes me as mery much a hard-working student of the game. To me, he brings more knowledge than usual to the play-by-play booth, though I can see how his presentation might belie this at times. From a technical standpoint, he seems highly skilled at maintaining the flow of the broadcast, in and out of the breaks and color commentary. I also think he has good rapport with Coach Ortegal. All in all, I think the Mavs could do much worse.

Followil I appreciate on the radio. I wonder how he would translate to TV.

I liked Ro Blackman the player as much as anybody, but I wish they would give that third spot in the booth to Hubert Davis. I always enjoy listening to him on the radio.

Bookit-- I'm sure that in the broadcasting industry, any move to a larger market is a move up the ladder.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 04:43 PM   #27
bo319

bo319 is on a distinguished road

Hello...my name is bo and I'm a Matt & Bob aholic.

I like Pinto...but if that is what he wants then I'm all for it. I Think Folowill would do a fantastic job if he were to be the replacement.
bo319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 05:43 PM   #28
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to have coop on T.V. He gets agressive with the Mavs when they aren't doing good and he says what we're thinking.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:32 PM   #29
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

pinto to the lakers - great.

followill, ortegal doing tv - even better.

ro as the third guy - okay.

hubert as the third guy - much better.

coop on the radio - wonderful - although his voice can be annoying, i love listening to him do regional games for the ncaa tourney.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:10 PM   #30
bradleywillcrushyou44

bradleywillcrushyou44 is a jewel in the roughbradleywillcrushyou44 is a jewel in the roughbradleywillcrushyou44 is a jewel in the rough

come on pinto isn't THAT bad
bradleywillcrushyou44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 11:36 PM   #31
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

I like Pinto. I love listening to homers on TV, and he is kinda a homer (although not as much as Bob). I usually listen to Matt/Bob/Ro more than the ESPN/TNT guys when we are on national TV.
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 01:31 PM   #32
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

I certainly hope Folowill gets the TV gig when -IF- Pinto leave for LA. I'm almost afraid to hope the Lakers take him off our hands. If he would have dropped just a FEW of his painfully over used phrases, I would appreciate all of his skill and knowledge as a play by play guy. He had big shoes to fill though when Jim Durham left, so I probably should have cut the guy some slack over the years.

Ortegal... well, I'm partial to the guy, so I am blind to any weaknesses he may or may not posses. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2005, 02:04 PM   #33
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Pinto is great! Homer and great trivia on the side.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:17 PM   #34
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Is the Laker radio job more prestigious than the Maverick television job?
Bigger market, don't you imagine? More possibilities.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote