Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-19-2005, 04:44 PM   #1
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nellie says: "Harris should start sometime next season"

did anyone else hear him say this on GAC with that old fart Randy Galloway??

Nelson is sold that the kid can play at a very high level once he learns the league. For once he and I agree.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2005, 05:03 PM   #2
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Nellie says: "Harris should start sometime next season"

Regardless of whether or not he ends up deserving that starting spot (Nellie does have a history of promoting the kid a little too soon), it's nice to hear the coaching/Godfather staff express faith in the player he'll become.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:47 PM   #3
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

What's really nice to know is that someone like Nellie who has more experience with the NBA than about 95% of the league thinks Harris will make it. We've all seen the amazing tools the kid has but I think a lot of us have worried about his erratic play at times.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 07:24 PM   #4
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I heard the interview too. It appears that it's much easier for Nellie to deal with the growing pains of young players while somebody is coaching them.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:13 PM   #5
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

I agree with Nellie 100%.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 10:30 PM   #6
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future
Default RE:Nellie says: "Harris should start sometime next season"

Could anyone give a quick recap of what else was said during the interview? I'd like to know what Nellie thinks about this team and what they should do this offseason?
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:40 AM   #7
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: The Miles
I agree with Nellie 100%.
I think Harris should start when he's ready, no sooner.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 10:12 AM   #8
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

^^^^^

to that I think you might have to play him at starter to get him "ready" to be one. It'll take time and there will be a learning curve. I just have this feeling that Devin's will not be that long.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 06-20-2005, 10:14 AM   #9
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: ddh33
Could anyone give a quick recap of what else was said during the interview? I'd like to know what Nellie thinks about this team and what they should do this offseason?
he told Devin before he quit as coach that he (Harris) was not going to play much because Nellie was going to play DA...and that Harris understood and promised to keep learning and practicing as hard as ever....
I remember he said that the Mavs need an atheletic big to support Damp...can't remember much else.
edit: he also said that FINLEY SHOULD SIT...WHICH I THOUGHT WAS HUGE!

Old 06-20-2005, 11:48 AM   #10
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Nellie should just shut up. It doesn't help AJ and he's just undermining his authority. Nellie should not say who should or should not start. This is why Nellie kills me.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:14 PM   #11
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

How do you know Nellie and Avery haven't talked about these things and aren't in consensus?

At any rate, did Nellie let on who he thought should be starting in Fin's place?
Old 06-20-2005, 12:30 PM   #12
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
How do you know Nellie and Avery haven't talked about these things and aren't in consensus?

At any rate, did Nellie let on who he thought should be starting in Fin's place?
Regardless, Nellie should not be making statements like that. Even if he talked to AJ, it doesn't help the team. AJ is now the coach and any statement by Nellie is just undermining his authority.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:37 PM   #13
Flip41

Flip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the rough

I read over on Mavs talk off of the mavericks main site that cuban was on the radio last week talking about trading Finley for Rasheed. Did anyone else hear that interview?
Flip41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:40 PM   #14
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Maybe it undermines Avery's authority with you, but that doesn't really matter, does it? Perhaps we should just ban everybody in the organization from opening their mouths other than Avery? Get a grip.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:40 PM   #15
Simon2
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Flip41
I read over on Mavs talk off of the mavericks main site that cuban was on the radio last week talking about trading Finley for Rasheed. Did anyone else hear that interview?
Never heard about this one.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:58 PM   #16
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not in this interview but a couple of weeks ago he said that he'd start Marquis at the 2.

He talked about how older players like Fin and Stack can sometimes get old overnight. In fact, he said that Stack should probably be a backup for the remainder of his career.

Like I said earlier in the thread, it's easy for Nellie to champion the youth movement now that he no longer has to live with the growing pains.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:03 PM   #17
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Thanks dirno. I was curious if that was what his thinking was.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:30 PM   #18
Nowitzki 4 3!!

Nowitzki 4 3!! is on a distinguished road

The radio interview concerning trading Finley for Rasheed Wallace was purely hypothetical. The radio analyst at the time (i think it was newy)...was basically testing Cuban's loyalty to Finley and wanted to know if Cubes would trade Fin for a player of comparable salary.....of course Cuban stood firm and said Finley's a valuable asset to the team (gag me please)
Old 06-20-2005, 01:54 PM   #19
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

I've been on record from day one saying that I think Devin Harris is going to be a very good player in this league. I still think that just as much as ever. I think the day will come when he is the best point guard on the team, but until that day, Terry should be the starter.

I agree with Nellie about Damp needing some help too. The real issue is who can you get? I would be surprised to see Mark spend anything more than the mimimum this summer on a free agent, and that won't buy much. That leaves trades...who would the Mavs be interested in, and who would they be willing to deal?

Nellie would sit Fin, huh? I feel the same way about this Fin situation as I do about the PG situation. Play the best guy. That's always been Finley, and it may still be. If he has aged overnight, as Nellie seems to fear, then it may be time to move on. I will say this though, I don't think Mark spent that money on Daniels to see him sit on the end of the bench. Now, Marquis has to go earn that money. I do expect some internal improvement from the team at that position though.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:58 PM   #20
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

He also said DJ was going to be backup center, that Anstey is the best running big man, that Moncri - no, Donni-, no someone was going to be the next coach, that he's going to reduce Fin's minutes, that the team will emphasize defense, that he'd play a center if he had one that was serviceable, and lots of other cool stuff. Just because he's no longer coach doesn't mean he gives a crap whether what comes out of his mouth is halfway connected to reality.

But one question - if AJ decides to put Fin on the bench, can we say that Nellie's still pulling the strings, and blame him for stuff that goes wrong in the future?
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 02:06 PM   #21
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Usually Lurkin
But one question - if AJ decides to put Fin on the bench, can we say that Nellie's still pulling the strings, and blame him for stuff that goes wrong in the future?
Genius.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:12 PM   #22
ddh33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Seems to me that most fans are going to blame who they want to blame - regardless of what actually takes place.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:29 AM   #23
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:

Yes, as long as Nellie is still listed as "General Manager", which he still is today.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 11:43 AM   #24
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Yes, as long as Nellie is still listed as "General Manager", which he still is today.
Great. Then all is right in mavs fandom. When Fin goes to the bench it'll mean Nellie wants to cut him. When Fin doesn't go to the bench, it'll be because Nellie's still in love with him. When Bradley, P-Pod,and MBenga don't play it'll be because Nellie can't coach big men. When Dirk doesn't improve his defense it'll be because Nellie can't coach defense. When Terry doesn't pass, it'll be because of Nellie's stupid isolation offense. And when the Mavs improve it will be because Nellie sux and he's no longer the coach. And I can still ponder whether Avery Johnson or Donnie is actually the heir apparent. My world is secure. I hate change.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 12:44 PM   #25
Lebanese_Fan

Lebanese_Fan is on a distinguished road

Nellie is saying what most of us are thinking. Finley is too ineffective, Devin is the future and should get more minutes and we need DJ to back up Dampier and be our athletic big. He knows what he is doing and saying. He is a genius.
Lebanese_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 12:57 PM   #26
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Nellie was/is great. He was a great coach at taking a team with no talent, and making it into a top 10 team. He deserves accolades/praise for this.

Problem is: He didn't know how to take a talented team, and make it #1.

I question Avery being able to do that, but you won't know if Avery has it in him, till he gets the chance.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 01:22 PM   #27
Simon2
Diamond Member

I didn't say Nellie wasn't/isn't a great coach. I just hate the way he operates sometimes. Like this for instance. Why would he come out in the media and say that Devin should be the starter? Why? What's the purpose? To force AJ to make Devin the starter? That's underhanded. As far as I am concerned, Nellie should just keep quiet in the media. He can say whatever he wants to AJ in private but in the media, he should keep quiet. Let's say AJ makes Devin the starter, people will say that's the Nellie influence. This isn't Nellie's team anymore. Its AJ's.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:37 PM   #28
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Nellie is the GODFATHER. He can say whatever he damn well pleases.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 02:49 PM   #29
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

No one complains when Larry Brown or Phil Jackson complains about the officials. Hell Nellie has way more class then either of those guys. He should be given a break especially in the way he ressurected a dying franchise.

This team has a great foundation. Harris, Howard, Dirk and even Terry. Galloway is very high on Devin Harris. Nellie got a bum rap, Harris wasn't ready to start or contribute major minutes. While Avery played him some, he sat his but on the bench when needed. Nellie knew that Bradley can't contribute any meanigful minutes for the mavs. Avery learned quickly Bradley can't contribute 20 minutes and is only a part-time reserve.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 05:24 PM   #30
Simon2
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
This isn't the mafia and Nellie ain't the GODFATHER. The Godfather would get his done. He would have taken care of the opposition. I really, really, really, can't see Marlon Brando saying "I'm not good enough".
Old 06-22-2005, 05:26 PM   #31
Simon2
Diamond Member

Quote:
Nellie got a bum rap,
What? How? Nellie got so many chances to win it all. The truth is, he didn't preach defense and defense wins championships.

Exhibit A - Phoenix Suns
Exhibit B - Sacramento Kings
Exhibit C- Dallas Mavs

Mavs are not in the class of the Spurs or Pistons defensively. That's Nellie mentality.

Old 06-22-2005, 06:54 PM   #32
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Simon2

What? How? Nellie got so many chances to win it all. The truth is, he didn't preach defense and defense wins championships.
I am so tired of hearing that. That is complete bullsh*t. "Defense wins championships" Tell that to Magic Johnson, whose Lakers won 5 championships with their "showtime" offense, while not being a great defensive team. Larry Bird's celtics weren't lockdown defenders either, but they won 3 titles. Jordan's Bulls won 6 championships, and yes they were a great defensive team. However, as good as they were defensively, they were even better offensively. The truth is, both offense and defense; you can't have one without the other. The Spurs and the Pistons are the best defensive teams, and that is their strength, but they are by no means sub-par offensively. The Spurs especially can play an up-tempo game if need be. That's why they're the best; because they force you to play their kind of game, but when that doesn't happen, they can beat teams like Phoenix at their own game.

Quote:
Exhibit A - Phoenix Suns
Exhibit B - Sacramento Kings
Exhibit C- Dallas Mavs

Mavs are not in the class of the Spurs or Pistons defensively. That's Nellie mentality.
Those examples only go back the past 5 years or so. The Kobe/Shaq Lakers weren't in the class of the Spurs or Pistons either, but they won 3 consecutive championships. High-scoring, up-tempo teams can win titles too. You could say that you have to be at least a decent defensive team to win a title, as were Magic's Lakers or Bird's Celtics, but that's common sense. Plus, the same must also be said for offense. At this point I'm rambling, but you get the idea. The "defense wins championships" argument is bullsh*t.

Old 06-23-2005, 09:33 AM   #33
Simon2
Diamond Member

Yes. Defense wins championships. The Celtices weren't good individual defensive players but they played great team defense. If they looked bad defensively, that's because they were playing against the mighty offense of the Lakers. To me, the team that can make the "stops" has a better chance of winning. Why? It goes back to the old saying the you can't have a good shooting night every night but you can have a great defense every game. If a team plays great defense, there's a good chance they will win the series.

I was a firm believer before that offense can win it all but I then realized that with the caliber of players in the NBA, anyone can be stopped. Maybe Jordan was the exception but anyone can be stopped by good defense. If the Pistons win it this year, would you agree that defense wins champiosnhips. Just look at the Pistons or the Spurs, they aren't defensive slouches. Look at the teams on the sidelines. Offensive juggernauts like the Suns and Mavs are just watching on the sidelines.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:28 AM   #34
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

If the Spurs win tonight, will Robert Horry's offensive outburts at the end of Game Five have anything to do with it? In fact, if you watched closely at the end of Game Five, NEITHER team got more than one stop in the last three minutes of the game. Unless the Pistons pull off the improbable, Game Five will end up being the pivotal game that Game Fives usually are, and the Spurs championship will be down to Horry's offensive brilliance every bit as much as it will be down to anything else.

Don't be so narrow in your thinking, Simon. You can look back to all the old teams you want, and you won't be able to find one common thread among all the teams, especially something so vague as "defense." Until they start awarding teams points for making a stop, then two points scored counts just as much as two points allowed. Though I hate such simplistic formulas, there are two that are FAR more accurate than the naively simplistic "defense wins championships." First I would take "balance wins championships," but ultimately I like "excellence wins championships."
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 10:35 AM   #35
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: Simon2
Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
This isn't the mafia and Nellie ain't the GODFATHER. The Godfather would get his done. He would have taken care of the opposition. I really, really, really, can't see Marlon Brando saying "I'm not good enough".
This guy is just begging to find a horse head in his bed...

Nellie is one of the mouth ppeces of the organization...I have no problem with him speaking his mind. I feel that way because I think AJ is a fairly self motivated and self directed person...AJ will do what AJ feels is best for this team.

Old 06-23-2005, 11:28 AM   #36
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

heard anything on fin for sheed?

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 01:00 PM   #37
Simon2
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
Quote:
Originally posted by: ddh33
he told Devin before he quit as coach that he (Harris) was not going to play much because Nellie was going to play DA...and that Harris understood and promised to keep learning and practicing as hard as ever....
I remember he said that the Mavs need an atheletic big to support Damp...can't remember much else.
edit: he also said that FINLEY SHOULD SIT...WHICH I THOUGHT WAS HUGE!

Double speak again by Nellie. He says that Devin can play at a high level once he learns the ropes but he was going to play DA more? What?
Old 06-23-2005, 01:31 PM   #38
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

It's not double speak, Simon. The Mavs were just heading into the stretch run and at that point DA was outperforming DH. Nellie needed to settle on a backup point guard for a playoff run, and the considerations involved in making that decision are obviously different than those involved in saying, during the offseason, that you still think Devin's going to be the guy looking forward. This little crusade you're on is getting old.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:46 PM   #39
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
This little crusade you're on is getting old.
let's change that comment to the past tense please.

Old 06-23-2005, 07:26 PM   #40
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg Though I hate such simplistic formulas, there are two that are FAR more accurate than the naively simplistic "defense wins championships." First I would take "balance wins championships," but ultimately I like "excellence wins championships."
Well said.