Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-26-2007, 03:27 AM   #1
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute
Default For those of you in the workforce

Hey there,

I hope everyone is enjoying the Mavericks' offseason and the great start to the Dallas Cowboys' quest for an NFL record, 6th Superbowl Championship. (How bout them Cowboys?)

This thread is mainly to get some advice/suggestions/comments or anything pertinent to the subject of choosing one's career after college.

A brief bio about me--I am in my last year at a 4-year institution in California (UC Irvine). I guess what it comes down to is that I am trying to figure out what would be the best/smartest career decision for me at this point in my life.

A. find work with my Bachelors in Economics degree after I graduate. Go to graduate school later in life.
B. enroll into the MBA program at UCI and delay my working life for another three years.
C. apply to law school (this includes studying my butt off for the LSAT, etc.) which means it would be 4 years before I start working.

Of course, there are variations to each of these three options, including what I would be doing before or during each of them.

However basically, this is what it comes down to; I would be 23 when I enter the workforce if I choose A, 26 if I choose B, and 27 if I choose C.

Are any of you guys Econ majors, and what do you do? or have done?
How about MBA guys? what are you doing and what did you do before?
Lawyers? Where did you go to school, what type of law, do you enjoy your job?

I have a lot of questions actually, I am just asking for any type of information and personal experiences that would help educate me on this decision. I would really appreciate any bit of help.

As of right now, I am heavily leaning towards the law route due to many reasons--but, each day I read about things that are pretty discouraging...
for example, http://www.careerjournal.com/salaryh...iring_whatsnew

Ultimately, it just makes this entire process that much more difficult, and that much more confusing. I believe there is no better information than from those who have already been through the same thing--so please help if you can. =)

Thanks and take care!

Go Cowboys
Go Mavericks

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote