Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-02-2003, 08:07 PM   #1
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default The Untouchables

Dirk and Howard.

Amazing.

However, if Finley is traded, I think also Howard might be moved. In other words, Dallas shall not open a hole to close other hole.

This would carry even more alternatives for signing/trading.

Old 07-02-2003, 08:10 PM   #2
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default The Untouchables

I think only untouchable is Dirk. I am sure mavs would trade Howard for Bosh if opportunity presents.

Old 07-02-2003, 08:13 PM   #3
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough
Default RE: The Untouchables

then theoretically even dirk isn't untouchable. i would trade dirk for duncan. it won't happen, but neither will bosh for howard.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:14 PM   #4
Lonely PSU Mavs Fan

Lonely PSU Mavs Fan is on a distinguished road

i agree that the only untouchable is Dirk. i would hate to see a lot of the other players go, but i would not label anyone except dirk "untouchable"
Old 07-02-2003, 08:18 PM   #5
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default The Untouchables

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mandyahl
then theoretically even dirk isn't untouchable. i would trade dirk for duncan. it won't happen, but neither will bosh for howard.

I wouldn't trade Dirk for Duncan. Dirk is going to end up as the best 7 footer that ever played this game. He has closed the gap between him and duncan rapidly. He overtook him in PPG last season. Believe in Dirk.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:21 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

dirk is as close a thing as there is to an untouchable...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 08:21 PM   #7
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Untouchables

There are no "untouchables" - Shaq AND Kobe for Dirk then goodbye Dirk.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 08:29 PM   #8
Lvubun1

Lvubun1 is on a distinguished road
Default The Untouchables

Quote:
Originally posted by: MFFL
There are no "untouchables" - Shaq AND Kobe for Dirk then goodbye Dirk.
Exactly, of course the chances of that happening are slim and none but isn't anymore unrealistic then any of the other 5 team 13 player trades we see on this and other boards.
Lvubun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 08:37 PM   #9
cookies_n_mavs

cookies_n_mavs is on a distinguished road

I believe in Dirk. I believe in Tim Duncan. I believe in Shaq and Kobe. But when I stop believing in Duncan, Shaq and Kobe, I will still believe in Dirk.

Nobody is untouchable, but he is as close as it gets.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:42 PM   #10
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

ok, i can go with that, cookies.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:42 PM   #11
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Default The Untouchables

Or we can trade Dirk and B!tch about it afterwards just like Orlando Magic.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:16 PM   #12
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

I want everybody to stop treating Dirk like he's God.

If you're going to talk about trading Nash and Finley, you may as well talk about trading Dirk, because Nash and Finley were just as important when it comes down to taking the mavs to the playoffs.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 11:18 PM   #13
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Wrong, Nash13.

Nash or Fin go down in the playoffs and we're still looking pretty good. Dirk goes down and we're out of the playoffs...
Old 07-02-2003, 11:19 PM   #14
Mavs_Rule2003

Mavs_Rule2003 is on a distinguished road
Default The Untouchables

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
I want everybody to stop treating Dirk like he's God.

If you're going to talk about trading Nash and Finley, you may as well talk about trading Dirk, because Nash and Finley were just as important when it comes down to taking the mavs to the playoffs.
Only problem is that Dirk got a lot of upside ..and he is still only 24~

whereelse nash and fin are 30 and 29.
Mavs_Rule2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 11:33 PM   #15
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default The Untouchables

Quote:
Originally posted by: ocelot_ark
Wrong, Nash13.

Nash or Fin go down in the playoffs and we're still looking pretty good. Dirk goes down and we're out of the playoffs...

I totally beg to differ. I believe it was game 5 were we came back from a huge deficit without Dirk. And if it wasn't for that fourth quarter collapse in game 6(and yes, the mavs have collapsed with Dirk), we could have made it to the finals, without Dirk's help.

And MavsRule, you're right about Dirk being 25. But if we spend so much time worrying about our future, we can't keep up with our present.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 11:41 PM   #16
DIRK BRASIL

DIRK BRASIL is on a distinguished road
Default The Untouchables

I think only untouchable is Dirk. He is our team!!!!!!
Old 07-02-2003, 11:46 PM   #17
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough
Default The Untouchables

Well Mandy brougth up a good point that if we were offered Dunan for him, then he would be touchable.

And the team isn't all that well built around him. If we were to get a good defensive center, they would be forced to guard the hardess man instead of coming off the stray man because Dirk would get tired and banged up guarding team's best post players. Thats what seperates him from Duncan, Garnett, and Shaq, he can't be the help out defender.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:07 AM   #18
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Default The Untouchables

If Dirk gets traded for Duncan, then we will be better off trading everyone in the mavs team. This team is built around him. It may not look that way but if you carefully observe the plays Nellie uses you will notice.

Also you might wanna fire Nellie after that. And forget the Chalupas (we will never score 100).
Old 07-03-2003, 12:10 AM   #19
cookies_n_mavs

cookies_n_mavs is on a distinguished road

No more Chalupas? NO!!!!

I don't even wanna think of having Duncan as a Mav... he'd be a square peg.
Old 07-03-2003, 05:06 AM   #20
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all
Default The Untouchables

I wouldn't trade Dirk for any basketball player in the world, and I doubt Cuban would either

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 07:02 AM   #21
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all
Default The Untouchables

I wouldn't trade Dirk for Duncan. Dirk is going to end up as the best 7 footer that ever played this game.

Slow down a bit there. Dirk is terrific, but the best 7 footer ever. I can think of at least a handfull of 7 footers off of the top of my head that Dirk will never topple. For starters Wilt, Kareem, Hakeem, Shaq.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 07:14 AM   #22
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Untouchables

what in the world does 'untouchable' mean? Does it mean no trade under any imaginable scenario? If Minnesota swung deals to land them Shaq, Kobe, Kidd, and Duncan, then offered all of them plus KG to the mavs for Dirk and Rigadeau, wouldn't you do that? You'd have Shaq, Kobe, Kidd, Duncan, KG, Nash, Fin, and NVE on your team, and you would win. If you didn't, you'd pat yourself on the back for sentimental reasons, and then lose to the TWolves.

If not, then you've got to set some other criteria, such as:

not tradeable in any realistic scenario (then you might include Esch in 'untouchable')
or
the player we'd least like to lose (then you necessarily only have one 'untouchable')
or
probably impractical to include in a fantasy trade (then you should define 'probably' and 'impractical' on a situationXsituation basis)
or
something else.

If you don't, then the only thing your post is doing is increasing the little number by your name and burdening my retinas with unessesary radiation.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 08:10 AM   #23
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

but this is what you would have to see to answer this question. Duncan won the NBA championship with a 20 year old point guard and a bunch of role players/scrubs.

Dirk didn't even make it too the finals with an allstar point guard, and an almost allstar in a shooting guard.

But if you really want to look at this from the other side, would San Antonio trade Duncan for Dirk? The answer is NO!!

So if you are asking me if I would trade Dirk for the Leagues MVP, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 08:17 AM   #24
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Untouchables

what i'm tired of hearing about is how players like KG and shaq guard the other team's best player

that's a load of crap...dirk guards KG more than KG guards dirk... KG does less to stop dirk than dirk does to stop KG (neither do that much)..

look at the numbers..dirk abuses KG like a redheaded step daughter when they're matched up against each other.

dirk probably faces as many double teams when dallas and minny match up.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:46 AM   #25
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

I´d love to see Shaq guarding Kidd though ...
Old 07-03-2003, 09:07 AM   #26
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Untouchables

Quote:
Originally posted by: grbh
I wouldn't trade Dirk for Duncan. Dirk is going to end up as the best 7 footer that ever played this game.

Slow down a bit there. Dirk is terrific, but the best 7 footer ever. I can think of at least a handfull of 7 footers off of the top of my head that Dirk will never topple. For starters Wilt, Kareem, Hakeem, Shaq.
I thought that was a little over the top as well. Good call grbh
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 09:16 AM   #27
Murphy3
Guru

Default The Untouchables

so over the top that even I skipped right past it... must be EXTREMELY over the top.

Dirk has hall of fame skills..definitely has HOF potential.

But, let's be realistic..he's not gonna be a top 2-3 player in the history of the NBA..will he be 4? nope

but, he has the potential to be one of the better players in the history of the game
Old 07-03-2003, 09:23 AM   #28
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Untouchables

I think he has the potential to be one of the best forwards to ever play the game. But right now, he's not even the best forward currently playing. Pretty damn close, but still, he has some work to do to even make the Hall of Fame at this point.

Old 07-03-2003, 09:42 AM   #29
Murphy3
Guru

Default The Untouchables

Remember, KG, this is the Basketball Hall of Fame..it's conceivable that steve nash could make it because of his contributions to basketball in Canada.

It's not MLB..they let just about anyone that contributed anything of significance along the way
Old 07-03-2003, 10:52 AM   #30
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

After reading the last Mark's and Nelsons' comments I think that the only untouchable is Dirk.

Why?

Well, first I thought that Dallas was going after a 4.8 and a 1.5 mill guys and to fill the other spots using vet minimums. Also, that Howard was untochable cause he was just picked to play.

But now watching Mark going after Mourning, who won't accept 4.8, and maybe after Kidd who is the most expensive fantasie of the world, Dallas would need trade also Finley and Howard and whatever Mav if Mark is thinking seriously in signing those two players or other high caliber players.

But Kidd and Mourning together aren't worth -playing- as much as Dirk, at least for this team.

Old 07-03-2003, 11:11 AM   #31
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough
Default The Untouchables

I'd trade Dirk for Duncan or Garnett before the other team would change there mind. Realistically there are no untouchables on this team. But with Dirk no other team is gonna trade there superstar for him just like the Mavs won't trade there superstar for anyone elses. You would be seeing like Jrich, Dunleavy, Troy Murphy and a pick or 2 to get Dirk. Similiar to how the Chicago deal was for FInley. You get a whole bunch of role players for a star becuase in this league you rarely see a superstar for superstar trade because you don't trade superstars. Garnett and Duncan are the only guys I would trade for with Dirk. Maybe Amare or Yao Ming in about 3 or 4 more years.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 12:04 PM   #32
philb7777

philb7777 is on a distinguished road
Default The Untouchables

I would hate to see Cuban and Nellie mess with the chemistry of the team that much. We are not that far away from the promised land. I would hate to see us sell our souls and be in the same position next year. I would avoid sign and trade for free agents unless it involves none of our starting five or NVE.

philb7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 12:21 PM   #33
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough
Default The Untouchables

Quote:
i think Kareem is 6'10,and i do think Dirk can be better than Hakeem and with time match up to Shaq aswell.
Dirk is somewhat of a question mark,i believe he has the potential to be at the level Larry Bird has played,Better than shaq,better than Hakeem,dont know about Wilt though.
anyway,he could be one of the best Small forwards to ever play the game,but would he be?
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 12:47 PM   #34
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future
Default The Untouchables

Quote:
Originally posted by: nowitzki_prophecy
Quote:
i think Kareem is 6'10,and i do think Dirk can be better than Hakeem and with time match up to Shaq aswell.
Dirk is somewhat of a question mark,i believe he has the potential to be at the level Larry Bird has played,Better than shaq,better than Hakeem,dont know about Wilt though.
anyway,he could be one of the best Small forwards to ever play the game,but would he be?
dirk will probably be never as good as hakeem in his prime. i love dirk but olajuwon was the man who once had a quadruple double. was one block or steal shy of another quadruple double. and once was 2 assists shy of a quintuple double. in his prime, hakeem was by far one of the top 5 players in the league. just a rare talent and blend of size, speed, and athleticism. don't let what olajuwon became towards the end of his career distort what he was in his prime.

kareem was a legit 7'2". he was not 6'10". greatest scorer of all time with incredible longevity.

these are multiple time champions, league MVPs. lets not make dirk to be something incredible that he hasnt quite shown yet. hes a wonderful player, but you cant even begin to compare him to other legendary big men yet.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 12:54 PM   #35
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all
Default The Untouchables

It is very premature to compare Dirk to the greats of yesteryear, however...if he improves in a couple of areas and the Mavs win a title or two in the next 10 years, then he will be considered among the top 25 players in history. I think top 10 is a longshot, but if you bump those titles up to 3 or more and Dirk continues to improve defense and passing, then you never know.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote