Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 07-03-2006, 01:49 AM   #1
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future
Default 2006 MLB All Stars

AL All Star Starters

C Ivan Rodriguez
1B David Ortiz
2B Mark Loretta
SS Derek Jeter
3B Alex Rodriguez
OF Manny Ramirez
OF Vladimir Guerrero
OF Ichiro

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...2006&fext=.jsp

NL All Star Starters

C Paul Lo Duca
1B Albert Pujols
2B Chase Utley
SS Jose Reyes
3B David Wright
OF Jason Bay
OF Carlos Beltran
OF Alfonso Soriano

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...2006&fext=.jsp

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2006, 01:51 AM   #2
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I'm just happy David Wright and Chase Utley made it, they are two of my favorite players.

I'm going out on a limb and predicting that the NL upsets the AL and David Wright will win the All Star Game MVP

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 07-03-2006, 01:57 AM   #3
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Oh, and from those two links you can access the NL and AL final roster spot votes (located at the top of the article under the title)

The NL candidates are:

Bobby Abreu
Chris Capuano
Nomar Garciaparra
Billy Wagner
Chris Young

The AL candidates are:

Travis Hafner
Ramon Hernandez
Francisco Liriano
A.J. Pierzynski
Justin Verlander

I voted for Hafner and Capuano.

Old 07-03-2006, 06:26 PM   #4
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

I think the one surprise for me is Mark Loretta, I mean c'mon!

Last edited by nashtymavsfan13; 07-03-2006 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:33 PM   #5
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I think i remember them running a story about it on ESPN a few years ago that it has happened twice though im not sure but there is an extremely legit chance the AL cy young award winner didnt make the all star team (yet). Liriano would have been my second behind only Santana and that is only because liriano hasnt been starting all year.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:41 PM   #6
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
I think i remember them running a story about it on ESPN a few years ago that it has happened twice though im not sure but there is an extremely legit chance the AL cy young award winner didnt make the all star team (yet). Liriano would have been my second behind only Santana and that is only because liriano hasnt been starting all year.
That's quite an accomplishment. I expect Liriano to make it though, he's one of the 5 AL finalists for the last spot, and I expect him to be voted in. He's been amazing this season.

Old 07-03-2006, 06:44 PM   #7
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

If only i didnt get impatient when they left him in the bullpen ((( Overall, he has been amazing and i think he might make it but you never know.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:06 AM   #8
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

GO PUDGE!!!!!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:39 PM   #9
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Pierzynski, Garciaparra win voting for final All-Star spots

By RICK GANO, AP Sports Writer
July 6, 2006

CHICAGO (AP) -- A.J. Pierzynski got his ticket punched to Pittsburgh.

A magnet for mayhem, the White Sox catcher beat out Minnesota rookie pitcher Francisco Liriano for the final AL All-Star spot in Internet voting Thursday. NL batting leader Nomar Garciaparra breezed to the last NL slot in the fan balloting.

Final totals were not announced. Pierzynski got about 3.6 million votes to hold off a late push by Liriano.

"Maybe it was the wrestling vote that got me over the top," Pierzynski said.

The World Series champion White Sox will send seven players to Tuesday night's game at PNC Park. Chicago manager Ozzie Guillen will guide the AL team in Pittsburgh.

Pierzynski made it after the White Sox launched a "Punch A.J." campaign this week, printing T-shirts with the catchphrase and a check mark. Team owner Jerry Reinsdorf wore one as he strolled around the batting cage earlier this week.

"The PR department did a great job of getting me out there and coming up with a good slogan and everything," Pierzynski said.

Pierzynski was punched this year by Cubs catcher Michael Barrett after a collision at the plate, setting off a brawl. Pierzynski found himself in the middle of several controversial plays in the 2005 postseason.

White Sox pitcher Mark Buehrle, already on the AL team, grabbed a microphone and addressed the crowd earlier this week and asked fans to vote for Pierzynski, often a target of boobirds in opposing parks.

"I couldn't be happier. It means a lot for me, especially for me to go this way -- it's a little vindication with all of the bad stuff certain people have written about me," Pierzynski said.

Pierzynski is hitting .326 with five home runs and 28 RBIs. Liriano also got strong support after going 9-1 with a 1.99 ERA.

Pierzynski topped Liriano, Cleveland slugger Travis Hafner, Detroit pitcher Justin Verlander and Baltimore catcher Ramon Hernandez. The 29-year-old Pierzynski also was an All-Star in 2002.

Garciaparra leads the NL in hitting at .359, with 10 home runs and 49 RBIs for the Los Angeles Dodgers. He became a six-time All-Star.

"It's always an honor and a thrill. I'm pleased and excited about going," he said. "I wish I could take my whole team."

A former star shortstop, Garciaparra is playing first base in his first season with the Dodgers. He received 4 million votes, beating out Milwaukee pitcher Chris Capuano, Philadelphia outfielder Bobby Abreu, New York Mets closer Billy Wagner and San Diego pitcher Chris Young.

"Making the transition isn't easy. It's still not easy, I take nothing for granted," Garciaparra said.

The 32-year-old Garciaparra was a perennial All-Star with Boston, making the team five times from 1997-2003. Injuries took their toll on him over the previous two seasons, and left some wondering whether he would return to top form.

"We all knew coming in the No. 1 limiting factor for Nomar was staying on the field," Dodgers manager Grady Little said.

Garciaparra took a 17-game hitting streak into Thursday night's game at San Francisco. A two-time AL batting champ, he is trying to become the first player in more than a century to win the hitting title in both leagues -- Ed Delahanty (1899, 1902) was the last to do it.

Garciaparra will join Dodgers teammate Brad Penny at the All-Star game.

"He's a big part of the reason I'm going," Penny said. "This is well deserved with the year he's having. He shouldn't have had to go through the voting process."

White Sox sluggers Jim Thome and Paul Konerko, outfielder Jermaine Dye and pitchers Jose Contreras and Bobby Jenks and Buerhle were previously picked for the AL roster.

This is the second straight season the White Sox have landed the final player through the Internet voting. Last year, a campaign got left fielder Scott Podsednik on the AL team.

"Obviously the Sox fans get out and vote, they have computers and they know how to use the Internet," Pierzynski said. "Some people were questioning that, but I think they did a great job of showing what their support is all about."

Old 07-06-2006, 10:40 PM   #10
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Well, 5-0 you were right, Liriano didn't make it. What a surprise, another White Sox player made it. Ugh.

Old 07-07-2006, 01:37 PM   #11
Five-ofan
Guru

I actually think AJ should have made it, he should have been joe mauer's backup and Varitek should be at home on the bench. Liriano not making it is a joke though. He has been the best pitcher in all of freakin baseball and he cant get an all star spot?
Old 07-07-2006, 01:51 PM   #12
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
I actually think AJ should have made it, he should have been joe mauer's backup and Varitek should be at home on the bench. Liriano not making it is a joke though. He has been the best pitcher in all of freakin baseball and he cant get an all star spot?
Yeah that's true. I hate how all the New York, Boston, and Chicago players make it when most of them shouldn't.

Old 07-07-2006, 10:34 PM   #13
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Oswalt, Ordonez added to All-Star squads

July 7, 2006

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Houston pitcher Roy Oswalt and Detroit outfielder Magglio Ordonez were added to the All-Star rosters Friday, taking the place of injured Pedro Martinez and Manny Ramirez.

Ordonez will join Detroit teammates Ivan Rodriguez and Kenny Rogers at Tuesday night's game at PNC Park. The surprising Tigers have the best record in the majors.

Ramirez, picked in fan voting to start in the AL outfield, has a sore right knee. Minus the Boston slugger, AL manager Ozzie Guillen said he hasn't decided on how he will revamp his lineup.

Guillen and Ramirez shook hands and embraced before the Red Sox played at Chicago on Friday night. Ramirez was in Boston's lineup.

"I respect that he's hurt," Guillen said. "I appreciate Manny told me with enough time to let somebody know because Magglio was playing on the West Coast and we had to let him know right away."

Boston manager Terry Francona backed Ramirez.

"I understand what Manny means to this game, at least I hope I do, but at the same time we're trying to win so bad and I felt strongly enough to try to step in," he said.

"The only thing he may do, and this isn't for sure yet, is see a guy in Miami. In honesty, he's played a lot. I watched him in Tampa the other night and he was kind of ... you can tell it hurt, that's the best way to put it."

Ordonez, on the All-Star team for the fifth time, is batting .307 with 15 home runs and 59 RBIs. Ramirez was hitting .310 with 24 homers and 65 RBIs.

"Throughout most of the 2006 season, I have been playing with nagging soreness in my right knee," Ramirez said in a statement. "After much consultation and discussion with my team, we have decided that it is necessary for me to rest my knee over the three-day All-Star break."

Oswalt will make his second consecutive All-Star appearance and joins Lance Berkman as the only Astros on the NL squad. Oswalt pitched one inning in last year's game in Detroit.

Martinez missed his start Monday because of a sore right hip and the New York Mets placed him on the 15-day disabled list.

Houston's Phil Garner, the NL manager, asked Oswalt to join the team after learning of Martinez's injury Thursday.

"I'm really excited to be able to take Roy to the All-Star game," Garner said.

Oswalt (6-5) ranks sixth in the NL with a 3.10 ERA. He's thrown complete games in his last two starts and lost both, the first Astros pitcher to pull off the dubious double since J.R. Richard in 1979.

Oswalt said he accepted the invitation after a conversation with Astros owner Drayton McLane.

"I talked to Drayton a little bit and I think it's in the best interest of me and the team to do it," Oswalt said. "Anytime you get to go, it's great."

Oswalt is the only pitcher who's won 20 games the last two seasons and his 46 victories since the beginning of 2004 leads both leagues. He was the MVP of the 2005 NLCS and is 4-0 in the postseason, the most playoff wins without a loss among active pitchers.

Oswalt said he was a bit disappointed that he wasn't originally selected to the game.

"I thought maybe my numbers would be good enough to go, but it's not all about wins -- it also has to do with popularity," he said.

Old 07-07-2006, 10:53 PM   #14
Five-ofan
Guru

I knew the ordonez thing was coming but its a joke. Travis hafner needed to make this team. If i truly thought the rangers had a shot at the world series i would be EXTREMELY pissed because Guillen's nepotism could cost the AL team a shot at home field advantage.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:03 PM   #15
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Yeah, Hafner and Liriano both should have made it. Capuano should have made it too.

Old 07-08-2006, 09:22 PM   #16
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Default Snubs and Flubs

Rotisserie By The Numbers: All-Star Snubs and Flubs

July 6, 2006
By Craig Rondinone
SportsTicker Contributing Writer

BRISTOL, Connecticut (Ticker) - Nobody knows who deserves to be at the upcoming All-Star Game better than fantasy baseball owners. Maybe Bug Selig should let us pick the reserves and the pitchers instead of the World Series managers.

As usual, there were more snubs and flubs with this year's All-Star squads than there normally are at the Oscars and Grammys. Some marginal players made the game for various reasons, while some of the best players in baseball have to watch the game from their couches. Fantasy baseball owners can tell you immediately who the surprising omissions and terrible choices were. Let me speak on their behalf.

Here are the All-Star snubs and flubs hopefully the snubs will still make the team because of injuries to others or the MLB.com Final Vote.

SNUB Travis Hafner, Cleveland Indians: I know the nickname Pronk is confusing and not something a major network probably wants to plaster their All-Star graphics with, but how can Drew Carey and Arsenio Hall's favorite slugger not make the All-Star team? Hafner has 24 home runs, 70 RBI, a .320 batting average, a 1.118 OPS and has been a better fantasy performer than most hitters on either All-Star roster.

Was Hafner overlooked because the All-Star Game is in an NL ballpark in Pittsburgh, so there is no designated hitter, which is Hafner's prime position? Or had the DH quota already been reached when Boston's David Ortiz and Chicago's Jim Thome made the team? Whatever the case, Pronk got zonked.

FLUB Mark Redman, Kansas City Royals: The rule that forces every team to be represented in the All-Star Game is as outdated as parachute pants, the Rubik's Cube and Tab. How can Major League Baseball actually think it makes the league look good to have a pitcher make the All-Star team with a 5.59 ERA and 1.51 WHIP? Last time I watched the NBA All-Star Game, I do not remember Dwyane Wade not being able to make the Eastern All-Stars because Charlotte needed a man on the roster.

Here are Redman's All-Star credentials, and let me tell you, this resume would barely land him a job at White Castle. Along with his lofty ERA and WHIP, Redman has walked as many batters as he has struck out (30), opponents are hitting .293 against him and he has allowed at least four earned runs in five of his last eight starts. Yup, he is much more deserving than Curt Schilling. If these numbers are good enough to be an All-Star, why not put Randy Johnson on the team? Maybe Redman made it because AL manager Ozzie Guillen was shocked that Redman was actually 5-4 even though he has pitched horribly and pitches for a horrible team.

SNUB Francisco Liriano, Minnesota Twins: Do not try and tell me Liriano did not make the team because he has not been in the starting rotation all season. That rationale might fly with Los Angeles' Jered Weaver, but not with Johan Santana Jr. here. Besides Jose Canseco throwing out the first pitch or the Dixie Chicks ranting about President Bush before singing the National Anthem, what would be better for All-Star ratings than to have Liriano there?

Fantasy owners do not need me to repeat Liriano's numbers, but here they are anyway. You try to figure out how he is not on the AL team. 9-1, 1.99 ERA, 0.97 WHIP, 94 strikeouts in 81.1 innings, opponents' batting average of .203 and has indirectly caused teammates Justin Morneau and Joe Mauer to become fantasy superforces (I am speculating on this last one). Liriano is leading AL candidates in the voting for the Final Vote spot, so let's hope he does not blow the save on his own win.

FLUB Gary Matthews Jr., Texas Rangers: When I was watching the Baseball Tonight All-Star Selection Show, and they kept previewing the reserves for later in the telecast, they kept showing highlights of Matthews and I was thinking how nice it was for them to give him some props. But then when he actually made the team and everyone on the panel was saying how worthy he was, I wanted to jump through my plasma TV screen and wrap Harold Reynolds' tie around his neck.

Matthews is having a solid season, no doubt. Detroit's Magglio Ordonez, Seattle's Raul Ibanez and Oakland's Nick Swisher are really the ones having All-Star seasons, though. Each of the three have better numbers than Matthews has. And it is not like Texas needed Matthews to be their rep. Michael Young is on the team, too. Hitting .331 with eight homers, 43 RBI, 44 runs and five steals makes Matthews a pleasant surprise, not an All-Star.

SNUB Johnny Estrada, Arizona Diamondbacks: Darin Erstad ruined Estrada's 2005 season with his football tackle at home plate that wrenched Estrada's back. It is great to see the sweet-swinging, line-driving Estrada back in 2006. He leads all NL pitch callers with 45 RBI and is hitting .319 with six homers and 16 doubles. Offensively, Estrada is having a better season than the fellow in the next paragraph.

FLUB Paul Lo Duca, New York Mets: I know Lo Duca deserves props for helping Tom Glavine become a superb fantasy pitcher again, but the guy's .292 batting average is softer than Tim Wakefield's knuckleballs. Lo Duca is at it again, as he is playing with nagging injuries that cause his fantasy value to drop with each passing week. Yes, he is a great gamer. No, he is not great for fantasy baseball.

The Mets are a wonderful story, and Lo Duca has been a solid backbone at backstop, but are three homers and 26 RBI at the halfway mark All-Star material? I think not. Blame the fans for this one, though. Next year fantasy owners will just have to stuff the ballot boxes so the more deserving players get voted in.

I could go on, as fantasy owners know Justin Verlander (not Mark Buehrle) and Felipe Lopez (not Edgar Renteria) should be All-Stars, not No-Stars. And L.A 's Nomar Garciaparra should also be at the game. No need for me to complain, however. Nothing more I can do. The All-Stars have been selected. All we can do now is sit back, enjoy the Home Run Derby and hope any players we have on our fantasy teams get through the Midsummer Classic without hamstring injuries.

Old 07-10-2006, 08:05 AM   #17
Five-ofan
Guru

That guy is retarted but he is right about liriano and hafner. GMJ is having a damn fine year. The problem with just going by fantasy numbers is it overrates steals, walks, and homers while underrating BA, doubles, defense and well pretty much everything but the first 3.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:27 PM   #18
Five-ofan
Guru

Liriano has been named to the all star team to replace contreras who started yesterday.

Edit-i got this off of another message board so its not exactly official.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 07-10-2006 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:37 PM   #19
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Rogers goes from baseball's scourge to All-Star starter

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer
July 10, 2006

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Kenny Rogers has gone from all-star scourge to All-Star starter.

One year after being one of the most scrutinized players at the glamour game -- and for all the wrong reasons -- the Detroit lefty was chosen by AL manager Ozzie Guillen to start Tuesday night against the NL.

"He's the best pitcher right now in the American League," Guillen said Monday. "That's why he's there."

Rogers (11-3, 3.85 ERA) will oppose Brad Penny (10-2, 2.92 ERA) of the Los Angeles Dodgers as the American League tries to extend its nine-year unbeaten streak (8-0-1).

Rogers also got plenty of attention at last year's game in Detroit, several weeks after knocking down a cameraman during a tirade.

Then with the Rangers, Rogers was charged with a misdemeanor in Texas after videotape of the June 29, 2005, tantrum showed him walking onto Ameriquest Field in Arlington and pushing a television camera to the ground. He agreed to attend an anger management class to avoid further punishment.

"It was very difficult," the 41-year-old Rogers said Monday. "I'd be lying if I said it wasn't hard, but I think I grew up with it and it made me a little better. ... Every challenge in my life that's come my way, I try to take advantage of anything I can learn from it and try to be better."

He couldn't have pitched better for the team with the best record in the majors, going 11-3 with a 3.85 ERA. Rogers will be well-rested -- he hasn't started since Wednesday, lasting 5 2-3 innings in a victory against Oakland.

"Kenny Rogers will be my starting pitcher, and he will pitch 10 innings," Guillen, the White Sox manager, said in a joking reference to the Tigers-White Sox race in the AL Central.

That won't happen -- starting pitchers are limited to three innings, and it's all but certain neither Rogers nor Penny will last that long. The last All-Star pitcher to go three innings was Greg Maddux of the NL in 1994.

Houston's Phil Garner will guide the NL, and the managers can't empty their benches or bullpens to get every player into the game in the first nine innings. With the outcome determining home-field advantage in the World Series, Garner said it's important to win and he must preserve bench players and relievers for extra innings.

The unspoken reason: Baseball wants no future All-Star game to resemble the mess in Milwaukee in 2002, when the game ended in a 7-all tie after 11 innings because the teams ran out of pitchers.

The 28-year-old Penny also made his last start Wednesday, allowing two runs in seven innings against Arizona. He got one out in relief Sunday in the Dodgers' 3-1 win over San Francisco.

Penny, traded by the Marlins to the Dodgers in 2004, has rebounded from a nerve problem in his right biceps that bothered him late in 2004 and into the 2005 season.

Guillen was limited in his choices as three top AL starters pitched Sunday: the Blue Jays' Roy Halladay (12-2), the White Sox's Jose Contreras (9-0) and the Twins' Johan Santana (9-5). Contreras was pulled off the AL team Monday and replaced by Twins rookie Francisco Liriano.

"There's a lot of guys that deserve to start, but it was unfortunate they pitched yesterday," said Rogers, who was chosen for his fourth All-Star game and his third in three seasons.

Rogers, one of only five active left-handers with 200 or more victories, will be throwing to his regular catcher in Ivan Rodriguez. Rogers, 201-134 in his career, will be the first Tigers pitcher to start the All-Star game since Jack Morris at the Metrodome in 1985.

Garner, attending a news conference Monday morning in Pittsburgh less than 11 hours after a 7-5, 12-inning loss to the Cardinals in Houston, unveiled a batting order that finds the Nationals' Alfonso Soriano leading off and playing left field, followed by CF Carlos Beltran, Mets; 1B Albert Pujols, Cardinals; RF Jason Bay, Pirates; SS Edgar Renteria, Braves; 3B David Wright, Mets; 2B Chase Utley, Phillies; C Paul Lo Duca, Mets and Penny.

Bay will be playing out of position in his own ballpark. He has played right field only once in his four-season career, with the Pirates in 2003.

Guillen will lead off with Seattle's Ichiro Suzuki, RF, followed by SS Derek Jeter, Yankees; 1B David Ortiz, Red Sox; 3B Alex Rodriguez, Yankees; LF Vladimir Guerrero, Angels; C Rodriguez; CF Vernon Wells, Blue Jays; 2B Mark Loretta, Red Sox and Rogers.

Old 07-10-2006, 03:38 PM   #20
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Mets' Reyes won't play in All-Star game

July 10, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) -- Mets shortstop Jose Reyes, voted in by fans to start for the National League in the All-Star game Tuesday, won't play because of a deep cut on his left pinkie.

Reyes was injured Friday night when he slid headfirst into first base and cut his finger on Florida first baseman Mike Jacobs' spikes. The star shortstop needed seven stitches to close the wound, and consulted with Mets team doctor Straun Coleman before deciding Sunday to not play in the All-Star game.

"I'm disappointed," Reyes said before the Mets' 7-6 victory over Florida on Sunday. "I'm not going to play, but I'm still going. I really want to be ready for the second half of the season."

Left-hander Tom Glavine was replaced on the NL team by Milwaukee lefty Chris Capuano. He started Sunday's game, so he'd be unavailable to throw Tuesday, but he'll be in Pittsburgh for the game.

"I'm going to go and tip my hat and have fun, but you won't see me on the mound," Glavine told the New York Post.

Reyes and Glavine joined Pedro Martinez as Mets players selected for the All-Star team who won't play. Martinez withdrew earlier in the week because of a sore hip that put him on the disabled list.

The Mets will still have three starters in the game: catcher Paul Lo Duca, third baseman David Wright and outfielder Carlos Beltran.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:13 AM   #21
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

The NL's time will come back around

By Joe Buck - SportingNews

Guys, does it ever bug you, as it does me, when you let your beard go for, like, three days and everyone looks at you like they can't believe their eyes? Is it that awesome to see someone who hasn't shaved? "Whoa, what's going on, Grizzly Adams?" they say. Or, "Quit your job?" It's the beginnings of a beard, for God's sake, not a kitten doing a Sudoku puzzle! Don't look so bewildered.

But I digress. What's really bewildering is the American League being so much better than the National League. You especially could see the AL's dominance this year in interleague play. It was like the Harlem Globetrotters against the Washington Generals, the Little League Yankees versus the Bad News Bears (even with Kelly Leak) or Tony Soprano taking on a meatball sub.

It would take someone much smarter than I to give the real reasons for the disparity in baseball. Buster Olney and Ken Rosenthal, two respected writers, believe the spending of the Yankees and Red Sox has forced other teams in the AL to try to keep pace. They begin the year with decent-sized payrolls but no realistic chance of getting to the World Series. I believe there is some truth to that -- just look at the Blue Jays' offseason. The Angels are another good example, as Artie Moreno has dumped millions into player salaries ever since he took the reins in Anaheim -- I mean, Los Angeles.

I believe the real reason lies in scouting and player evaluation and development in the minor leagues. Therefore, it is cyclical, and soon the sun will shine on the NL

No doubt when A.L. and N.L. teams meet in an A.L. city, the presence of a high-dollar designated hitter in the lineup compared with a low-rent extra from the bench gives the American League a huge advantage. But look at the young guys who populate the rosters of the best teams. The White Sox are the best team in the league, and it was unproven players such as Juan Uribe, Tadahito Iguchi, Joe Crede, Bobby Jenks and Aaron Rowand who won it for them in '05. The Tigers are relying on people nobody had heard of before this year -- Justin Verlander, Jeremy Bonderman, Brandon Inge and Chris Shelton.

What is the most impressive piece of the high-priced, defense-minded Red Sox? The kids in the 'pen, led by Cy Young Award and MVP contender Jonathan Papelbon along with Craig Hansen and Manny Delcarmen. Even the Devil Rays have young studs such as Scott Kazmir and Carl Crawford. How about Joe Mauer and Francisco Liriano in Minny?

The hope for the National League? Names such as David Wright, Jose Reyes and Aaron Heilman with the Mets. Matt Holliday with the Rockies and Brian McCann and Jeff Francoeur with the Braves. Prince Fielder with the Brewers and Ryan Howard with the Phillies. The entire Marlins roster. Matt Kemp and Russell Martin with the Dodgers and Matt Cain with the Giants. Anthony Reyes and Adam Wainwright for St. Louis.

It will be a year or two, but the NL will be back on top. Until then, odds are, thanks to the All-Star Game format I love, Game 1 of the World Series will feature the designated hitter.

Or I could be wrong, and the A.L. will always be better.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:08 PM   #22
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of
Default All star game...

Michael Young the AL hero? Looks like!!!!
Old 07-11-2006, 10:16 PM   #23
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

sweet! catch a brotha up! what happened???

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 07-11-2006, 10:22 PM   #24
sike
The Preacha

is there any way they can rob a Ranger of the MVP two years running????

Old 07-11-2006, 10:25 PM   #25
sike
The Preacha

haha...guess not...great job Mike!!!!

Old 07-11-2006, 10:26 PM   #26
sike
The Preacha

why not give him a vet???

Old 07-11-2006, 10:29 PM   #27
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

WTG MY MVP! Clutch as usual. And it looked like the NL was finally going to get one too...
Old 07-11-2006, 10:39 PM   #28
some-dude

some-dude has a spectacular aura aboutsome-dude has a spectacular aura aboutsome-dude has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames7
WTG MY MVP! Clutch as usual. And it looked like the NL was finally going to get one too...

Young can thank Garner for MVP. That was horrible managing late in the game...

1.) Why wasn't Rolen, the best defensive 3rd baseman, in the game in the 9th inning for defense.....he would have got the ball unlike Cabrera who just stares at it as it goes by.

2.) How does OF Matt Holiday get 3 AB's during the game, but Andruw Jones gets 0. He could have at least inserted Jones in the 9th for defensive purposes.

3.) Why didn't Nomar Garciaparra, the NL's leading hitter (.360), not come in to pinch hit with a runner in scoring position ?? Instead he goes with .290 Carlos Lee..?

I could go on and on....
-----------------------------------

But congrats to the A.L. for getting home-field advantage...not like it would have mattered though

Last edited by some-dude; 07-11-2006 at 10:39 PM.
some-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:47 PM   #29
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by some-dude
Young can thank Garner for MVP. That was horrible managing late in the game...

1.) Why wasn't Rolen, the best defensive 3rd baseman, in the game in the 9th inning for defense.....he would have got the ball unlike Cabrera who just stares at it as it goes by.

2.) How does OF Matt Holiday get 3 AB's during the game, but Andruw Jones gets 0. He could have at least inserted Jones in the 9th for defensive purposes.

3.) Why didn't Nomar Garciaparra, the NL's leading hitter (.360), not come in to pinch hit with a runner in scoring position ?? Instead he goes with .290 Carlos Lee..?

I could go on and on....
-----------------------------------
go for it.

Old 07-11-2006, 11:00 PM   #30
some-dude

some-dude has a spectacular aura aboutsome-dude has a spectacular aura aboutsome-dude has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
go for it.

How does Beltran play the whole game when players like Jones and Nomar dont get in. Hell, if anyone is gonna play the whole game from the NL it should be Albert Pujols.

Why was Edgar Renteria batting 5th ahead of David Wright....makes no sence....

On a side note, don't fans vote for the All-Star MVP?....how did Young manage to get enough votes in like 1/2 an inning to win...?

------------

So basically yeah...as you can tell I was rooting for the NL......like i said though the AL will probably sweep the NL either way though in WS. I just wanted the NL to get some respect, but Ozzie, once again, completely outmanages Garner.
some-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:29 PM   #31
sike
The Preacha

feel better?

Old 07-12-2006, 09:09 AM   #32
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Young was clutch last night.......Wow that was sweet...........
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:10 AM   #33
Five-ofan
Guru

Young definitely deserved the mvp though yes garner made some questionable moves. As for beltran, he was the best NL player last night so i dont see why you are complaining about that. If Jones was in left or Rolen was at third young never gets the chance to bat though so i am happy.

If you are hoffman how do you throw young a strike on an 0-2 count though?
Old 07-12-2006, 03:54 PM   #34
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Nice clutch hit by Young, and a nice homer by Wright. Good game, I was hoping the NL would finally get one.

Old 07-12-2006, 04:29 PM   #35
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Ratings up for All-Star game, Home Run Derby

July 12, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) -- Television ratings for Tuesday night's All-Star game on Fox were up 15 percent over last season's contest, the largest increase in 24 years.

The game itself had a 9.3 rating and 16 share with an average of 14.4 million viewers. Last year's game got an 8.1 rating and a 14 share, the second year in a row that the game had plummeted to an all-time low.

The Home Run Derby on Monday, televised by ESPN, had a 10 percent increase. The contest had a 5.4 rating compared to 4.9 last year.

A ratings point represents 1,096,000 households, or 1 percent of the nation's estimated 109.6 million TV homes. The share is the percentage of in-use televisions tuned to a given show.

Old 07-12-2006, 06:04 PM   #36
Five-ofan
Guru

After watching the game and thinking about it, I just realized that with the format the way it is and their lead in the nl, this game was more important to the mets than any single regular season game they will play this year. I sent an email to the sports guy about it and i think its an interesting thought so i hope it ends up in a column.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:20 AM   #37
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/allsta...son&id=2516876

a little piece on MY's allstar game -- just in case ya missed it.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:18 AM   #38
sike
The Preacha

good vid...thanks

great to see Ozzy call Mike one the best pure hitters in the game....

Last edited by sike; 07-13-2006 at 10:21 AM.