Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-14-2008, 08:36 PM   #121
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how a team can hope to defend Owens, Witten, Williams along with Barber coming out of the backfield...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2008, 08:41 PM   #122
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
I don't know how a team can hope to defend Owens, Witten, Williams along with Barber coming out of the backfield...
The only thing that could slow them down is if they persist in getting too cute.

I just want them to methodically roll over people.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:47 PM   #123
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Right. They really don't need to try home run plays every go round. You can grind it out and just be effective, wear them down and keep your D fresh. Then use your power closer, Barber.

It's not flashy, but the methodical route could be effective if done properly.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:52 PM   #124
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Try to win 24-10 not 37-28. That's the mentality I want to see.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:00 PM   #125
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. I think that might be a hard pill to swallow for some. With all the talent on board, people want to the the scoreboard constantly working for the Cowboys and will be disappointed if they lose, but just as upset if they win but don't score a lot. If you're highly efficient and can milk the clock and kill the opposing D, who really cares what the score is, as long as you win?
Old 10-14-2008, 09:03 PM   #126
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Williams and Witten over the middle...who do you cover???

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 10-14-2008, 09:06 PM   #127
BGMaverick9
Guru

I would figure more attention would go the WR, thus leaving a mismatch still for Witten. I'm sure I'm wrong, but that was my initial though.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:12 PM   #128
sike
The Preacha

I love just the thought of Williams and Witten...opening things up for TO....sports pants...so crazy

Old 10-14-2008, 09:15 PM   #129
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

2 crossing routes by TO and Roy
+ 1 seam route by Witten
+ 1 deep route by Austin
----------------------------------------
who does the defense guard?

Contact Me
Old 10-14-2008, 09:15 PM   #130
alby
Guru

Now Crayton can be out 4th WR and our main punt returner with the departure of Adam Jones.

Contact Me
Old 10-14-2008, 09:21 PM   #131
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
+ 1 seam route by Witten
+ 1 deep route by Austin

I still think Witten gets left open...lol.
Austin does have the speed to go deep, he might not get the respect right away, but it'll get covered eventually.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:40 PM   #132
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Romo shouldn't be out 4 weeks due to his pinky finger, it should be 1-2 weeks that's rediculous. If anything after 2 weeks they have a bye he should be back after that.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:41 PM   #133
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Okay guys, I think you are getting a little carried away with the "unstoppable" offense
Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Romo shouldn't be out 4 weeks due to his pinky finger, it should be 1-2 weeks that's rediculous. If anything after 2 weeks they have a bye he should be back after that.
MS said it might be longer than 4 weeks.

Last edited by Caseman; 10-14-2008 at 09:43 PM.
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:49 PM   #134
sike
The Preacha

Caseman...stop hating on our love!

Old 10-14-2008, 09:58 PM   #135
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
I'm not a doctor, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express and I drank a ****load of Dr. Pepper.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:00 PM   #136
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Favre told him to play through it.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:06 PM   #137
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
Caseman...stop hating on our love!
I can't quit you!

And by you, I mean the Cowboys.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:09 PM   #138
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW
I can't quit you!

And by you, I mean the Cowboys.
you know you meant me.....at least a little bit.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:21 PM   #139
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Dang I'm so pumped about this trade. Having Williams on the field opposite Owens is going to make a world of difference.

Can't wait until we get back to full strength. We have so much firepower on offense now it's crazy.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:24 PM   #140
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
+ 1 seam route by Witten
+ 1 deep route by Austin
If you run TO and RW both on crossing routes, doesn't that make them both easier to cover? Seems like Austin would get man coverage as deep down the field as he wants it. Or Witten gets a matchup on the outside with a LB.

I'd run them both deep down the field and put Crayton on a crossing route, with Witten drifting to the other flat.

So many options!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:25 PM   #141
BGMaverick9
Guru

How would you rank the top WR duos in the league?

Fitzgerald/Boldin
Coles/Cotchery
Harrison/Wayne
Marshall/Royal
Jennings/Driver
TO/Williams
Old 10-14-2008, 10:26 PM   #142
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg

So many options!
Just as long as they don't make this idea of the passing game harder than it really is.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:27 PM   #143
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9

Fitzgerald/Boldin
Coles/Cotchery
Harrison/Wayne
Marshall/Royal
Jennings/Driver
TO/Williams
and Witten and its easily in Dallas's favor...

Old 10-14-2008, 10:29 PM   #144
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
and Witten and its easily in Dallas's favor...
I know I know ...but I made it a little more debate-friendly but just sticking to WRs.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:30 PM   #145
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Fitzgerald/Boldin
Coles/Cotchery
Harrison/Wayne
Marshall/Royal
Jennings/Driver
TO/Williams
I don't think Marshall/Royal even qualifies for the discussion.

If it's the top two only, I'd go:

Fitzy/Boldin
TO/RW
Wayne/Harrison
Jennings/Driver

and I'd also consider something like Colston/Bush.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:33 PM   #146
BGMaverick9
Guru

I think Royal gets some love since Marshall gets the attention, and Cutler can get him the ball. He's not bad, just inconsistent right now. Marshall could be the real deal soon.

I agree with your top 2, flip 3 and 4. Jennings has some big upside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
I don't think Marshall/Royal even qualifies for the discussion.

If it's the top two only, I'd go:

Fitzy/Boldin
TO/RW
Wayne/Harrison
Jennings/Driver

and I'd also consider something like Colston/Bush.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 10-14-2008 at 10:33 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:35 PM   #147
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Fitz/Boldin
Moss/Welker (when Brady is healthy)
TO/RW
Wayne/Harrison
Jennings/Driver
Smith/Muhammed

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:38 PM   #148
sike
The Preacha

Talking

Quote:
I know I know ...but I made it a little more debate-friendly but just sticking to WRs.
But I root for Dallas!

Old 10-14-2008, 10:39 PM   #149
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub
Fitz/Boldin
TO/RW
Wayne/Harrison
Jennings/Driver
Smith/Muhammed

Brady IS Mr. Fix-It. The Patriots are a totally different team a whole without him.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:39 PM   #150
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
But I root for Dallas!
That's what matters!
Old 10-14-2008, 10:39 PM   #151
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub
Fitz/Boldin
TO/RW
Wayne/Harrison
Jennings/Driver
Smith/Muhammed
can't count the greatness of Brady...so Moss/Welker can't be that high.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:49 PM   #152
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
can't count the greatness of Brady...so Moss/Welker can't be that high.
I actually think they'd probably be about that high if they had even a remotely competent QB. Maybe put TO/RW above them, but I don't think it's fair to discount them just because they have inept Cassel throwing to them.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:55 PM   #153
BGMaverick9
Guru

I would agree, I just discount them tremendously b/c of the QB right now. Moss is still one of the best in the league as long as he has a QB who can get him the ball. Wes is a moving the chains guy if there ever was one. It's a nice balance between those two.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:52 PM   #154
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:

Fitzgerald/Boldin
Coles/Cotchery
Harrison/Wayne
Marshall/Royal
Jennings/Driver
TO/Williams
Talent-wise i'd throw TJ and Chad Johnson in there. And if I had to rank them i'd have it
Harrison/Wayne
Fitz/Bolden
TO/Roy
TJ/Chad
Jennings/Driver(overrated but I can't deny the yards those guys rack up)
Marshall/Royal
Coles/Cotchery

Last edited by Dtownsfinest; 10-15-2008 at 12:13 AM.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:53 PM   #155
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

When I got the text message about this I was so happy I screamed. And ordinarily that wouldn't be that big of a deal, but I was with my kids at a "Field Day" at Sharkarosa Ranch..... and we were watching the dude with the snakes.... and apparently I scared the crap out of one of the snakes the snake dude was holding.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:58 PM   #156
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
When I got the text message about this I was so happy I screamed. And ordinarily that wouldn't be that big of a deal, but I was with my kids at a "Field Day" at Sharkarosa Ranch..... and we were watching the dude with the snakes.... and apparently I scared the crap out of one of the snakes the snake dude was holding.
I should have +repped this post instead!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:52 AM   #157
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Quote:
I'm not a doctor, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express and I drank a ****load of Dr. Pepper.

Damn right
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:25 AM   #158
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

That was a tense interview with Wade on The Ticket just now. Did anybody hear that?
Old 10-15-2008, 08:28 AM   #159
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
That was a tense interview with Wade on The Ticket just now. Did anybody hear that?
Dangit, I got out of the car intending to get it on when I got to my desk, and I I completely forgot.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:40 AM   #160
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah it was tense. And they did an obligatory celebration segment of that fact. It was almost Sturm like.