Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-21-2003, 11:35 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk intrigues boyhood hero Pippen
Trail Blazer getting first-hand view of Nowitzki's prowess

04/22/2003

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Even before Dirk Nowitzki cashed his first paycheck for playing basketball at the ridiculous age of 15, he had a Scottie Pippen poster in his bedroom.

This fact was first publicized after the 7-footer was obtained by the Mavericks on draft day in 1998. Less than five years later, the wannabe has the legend on his heels.

While growing up in Germany, Nowitzki zeroed in on Pippen as one of the NBA stars who most appealed to him. He liked the way Michael Jordan's sidekick for all those years used his rangy body to his advantage and shot the ball with unfailing confidence.

"He learned a lot from me," Pippen said Monday. "Now I wish I'd have learned from him."

Nowitzki, coming off a Mavericks' franchise playoff-best 46 points in Game 1 against Portland, was a hot topic as the teams resumed practice after taking off on Easter. The 24-year-old was one of four players around the league who cracked the 40-point barrier on the opening weekend of the NBA playoffs, and the Blazers were asking themselves what will it take to slow down one of new superstars in the game.

The Mavericks? They've learned to expect the unexpected from Nowitzki. But it was Pippen who was trotting out the words "Larry Bird" and wondering what will come next from Nowitzki, who may not have all of Pippen's skills when it comes to athleticism but is fast becoming his own man on the basketball court.

"He still has a lot of basketball ahead of him," said Pippen, who was named one of the 50 greatest players in NBA history. "But he's grown a lot already. He's going to have a great future in this game. He's definitely shown me a different dimension in the power forward game. He's probably the only power forward I've seen that can do the things that he does out there – the ability to put the ball on the floor, the ability to shoot the ball from anywhere on the floor, the great court awareness."

Nowitzki shrugs off the huge night he had Saturday. He prefers to look ahead. But while he downplays his performance, he also said he will try to take advantage of anything Portland gives him. If that happens to be more open looks at the basket, he'll take them.

"You never know," he said about the chances of another 46-point game. "You just try to be aggressive and make things happen offensively. I think if we want to go far in the playoffs, we all need to play at a high level. Everyone has to make shots.

"It [his point total] doesn't matter. We got the win, and that's most important."

It's a race to four victories, and the Mavericks have a 1-0 lead with Game 2 approaching Wednesday at American Airlines Center. They expect Portland to come up with some alternative plans for defending Nowitzki. But more than anything, they expect other players to take some of the load off of him.

"Our game strategy isn't to go out and have Dirk get 46," coach Don Nelson said. "It's to do whatever we have to do to win the game.

"You don't anticipate that's going to happen every game. And we certainly needed every basket he gave us. I think we're probably [going to have] more balance, but the important thing I think is to take advantage of what's there. And the team did a marvelous job of finding him when he was open and nursing what we had going."

Pippen has seen enough after one game to know that Nowitzki is going to be a force that everybody in the league is going to have to contend with sooner or later. The Blazers' time just came sooner.

"He's definitely got an all-around game," Pippen said. "It's pretty scary to be at the level he's at now at such a young age."

So what can they do differently?

"If we can make him shoot shots under duress and try to wear him down and keep him from getting the ball, it makes the game a little tougher for him," Pippen said. "I thought he got on a roll the other night. We allowed him to catch the ball, turn and shoot it. We have to be a little more physical with him."

In that regard, the Blazers may have a chance to knock Nowitzki off stride, although that's what everybody tried to do in the second half of the season and all he did was get better instead of shrinking away from physical play.

It was suggested that Nowitzki is a reliable post-up move away from being unstoppable, to which Pippen bristled.

"Who said he doesn't have a post-up move?" he said. "Obviously, he's not going to be a Karl Malone. That's not in his body structure. If he's a Karl Malone, then he's not as great a shooter as he is. He's more a finesse player.

"But he's got some stuff inside that can be very effective. He showed Saturday he can score inside as well as out. And [from a defender's standpoint] he's such a great shooter, you probably want him going inside instead of shooting from the outside."

Old 04-21-2003, 11:50 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Great article.

Sounds like Pippen respects the Dirkster.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 08:14 AM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

yep..not a fan of pippen..but, good that dirk has his respect. Of course, why shouldn't he?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 08:58 AM   #4
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

<< &quot;But he's got some stuff inside that can be very effective. He showed Saturday he can score inside as well as out. And [from a defender's standpoint] he's such a great shooter, you probably want him going inside instead of shooting from the outside.&quot; >>

Nellie are you out there....Do you see this? Came straight from Pippen. Now make it happen. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 09:44 AM   #5
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Well I've been a fan of Pippen's for a long time and although he can act like a little baby at times, it's articles like this that proves he has a very smart basketball mind.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:43 AM   #6
thebac

thebac is on a distinguished road

<< Well I've been a fan of Pippen's for a long time and although he can act like a little baby at times, it's articles like this that proves he has a very smart basketball mind. >>

Same here. Pippen was my favorite player in the 90's, and I hate having to defend him for occasionally being an a-hole. Regardless, people should still recognize that he was a great player.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:30 PM   #7
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Yep Pippen is pretty smart. You don't want to disrespect a guy who just torched you for 46 points and give him fuel to torch you again. After all Scotty played most of his career with a guy who'd cut your heart out on the court if you dared disrespect him. Better to let sleeping dogs lie.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:18 PM   #8
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Pippen showed respect, which is cool. But, Bonzi is another matter all together.

I hope Dirk understands what happened and just drills the Blazers again.

Mavericks Notes

Blazers' Wells gives Nowitzki the bold shoulder

By Dwain Price
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS -The intimidation by the trash-talking Portland Trail Blazers started with a subtle bump Monday.

As Dirk Nowitzki was surrounded by members of the media while doing interviews after practice, Blazers guard Bonzi Wells moved through the media horde, bumping into media members along the way and intentionally bumping into Nowitzki as well. As he went by Nowitzki, Wells said: &quot;Bet you won't get 50 the next time.&quot;

Nowitzki, who scored 46 points in Saturday's 96-86 Game 1 victory, apparently didn't hear the comment, as he kept on doing his interview. But the move by Wells was clearly calculated.

The Blazers practiced on the American Airlines Center main floor right after the Mavericks, which is why Wells was able to get so close to Nowitzki. However, the potential for an ugly confrontation occurring before Game 2 will be alleviated today as the Mavericks will practice at AAC during the same time the Blazers will be practicing at the Tom Landry Center.

The rest of the Blazers chose to politely walk around where Nowitzki was standing Monday. Wells, though, chose to create another near asinine situation for a Blazers team that has had more than its share of problems this season.

Many Mavericks players know that the Blazers outwardly do not respect them. Before Game 1, guard Michael Finley even said he didn't respect the Blazers, and that the only team that should command respect are the three-time defending NBA champion Los Angeles Lakers.

&quot;We never really cared what other teams thought about us the whole year,&quot; Nowitzki said.

Old 04-22-2003, 01:22 PM   #9
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Bonzi = idiot.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:25 PM   #10
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

I will bet that Finley Knocks down Bonzi hard during game 2 .... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

Old 04-22-2003, 01:35 PM   #11
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Hahaha... what a major league a-hole. Nothing the Blazers do surprises me anymore. I don't think Dirk will be punked out even if he heard what Wells said.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 01:38 PM   #12
LRB
Guru

Nellie should sick Raja on Bonzi.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:39 PM   #13
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

<< Nellie should sick Raja on Bonzi. >>

I would be willing to lose Raja to an ejection if Bonzi goes with him.

Do it for the team Raja [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-22-2003, 02:37 PM   #14
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

No I just TRULY, TRULY hope Nowitzki goes off for 55 or something and after the game says, &quot;you were right Bonzi, I didn't go for 50, I dropped 55 on your A$$!&quot;

LRB you're right, I guess Pippen sees in Nowitzki what he saw in Jordan and SAW first hand what Jordan did to people who ran their mouth and realized he should just give the man his respect and go on about his business, he needs to enlighten his teammate though.
Old 04-22-2003, 03:24 PM   #15
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< he needs to enlighten his teammate though. >>

If Pippen can enlighten Bonzi he needs to go ahead and retire and start a successful career as a cult leader--one of the few jobs that pays better than the NBA and is decidedly easier on the knees.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 04:05 PM   #16
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

Pippen showing once again why he is the man

Wellsshowing again why he is one of the more colorful characters in the NBA
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 07:51 PM   #17
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

<<

<< &quot;But he's got some stuff inside that can be very effective. He showed Saturday he can score inside as well as out. And [from a defender's standpoint] he's such a great shooter, you probably want him going inside instead of shooting from the outside.&quot; >>

Nellie are you out there....Do you see this? Came straight from Pippen. Now make it happen. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
>>

Did you GET what Pippen was saying? It sounded, to me, like Pippen would rather have Dirk shooting from inside rather than from outside, since Dirk is such a good shooter. He is saying that from the perspective of the defender.

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 08:48 AM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

the mavs need dirk to be effective on the inside and the outside... especially if he goes cold.

david, you just don't get it
Old 04-23-2003, 09:35 AM   #19
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

<<

<<

>>

Did you GET what Pippen was saying? It sounded, to me, like Pippen would rather have Dirk shooting from inside rather than from outside, since Dirk is such a good shooter. He is saying that from the perspective of the defender.
>>

Why wouldn't you want Dirk going for the higher percentage shot down low and going to the free throw line? He is not Karl Malone or a Charles Barkley, but Dirk does have a unorthodox above average low post game. It just get overshadowed by a 7 footer with an unlimited shooting range.

Besides what would Portland do if he went out and scored another 46 points in the paint? They wouldn't know what to do than!!! Talk about confusing the hell out of your opponent.

Old 04-23-2003, 02:48 PM   #20
David
Golden Member

<<

<<

<<

>>

>>

Why wouldn't you want Dirk going for the higher percentage shot down low and going to the free throw line? He is not Karl Malone or a Charles Barkley, but Dirk does have a unorthodox above average low post game. It just get overshadowed by a 7 footer with an unlimited shooting range.

Besides what would Portland do if he went out and scored another 46 points in the paint? They wouldn't know what to do than!!! Talk about confusing the hell out of your opponent.
>>

The quote was from the defender's perspective.
Old 04-23-2003, 04:32 PM   #21
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

&quot;Just because you are a character, doesn't mean you have character...&quot;
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 05:20 PM   #22
LRB
Guru

<< The quote was from the defender's perspective. >>

Of course defenders would never in a million years say the opposite of what they truely believe to try and trick their opponents into playing against the opponent's strenghts? Right?
Old 04-23-2003, 08:03 PM   #23
roadrunner
Golden Member

roadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to behold

<<

<< The quote was from the defender's perspective. >>

Of course defenders would never in a million years say the opposite of what they truely believe to try and trick their opponents into playing against the opponent's strenghts? Right?
>>

Exactly. We can only speculate what Pippen's rationale for his comments were.

He could have been thinking that it would be better to try and defend Dirk down low because that is the easiest and most likely place where he can be doubled and, therefore, forced to give the ball up. When the best offensive player is going off on you for 46 points why not make him a passer instead of a shooter? The great thing about the Mavs is they have Nash and Finley who are capable of making the other team pay for doubling up Dirk. Not to mention some of are other parts who are capable of dive cutting to the basket and finishing.

Another reason could be that Pippen would rather be burned for a 2 from the inside rather than a 3 from the outside.

The point is...I think there could be any number of reasons that Pippen would say this.

We ran like a simple play, and usually the ball doesn’t come get me until later. So I just trotted through the play and I looked to the ball, and it was already right there in my face. … He sees the floor so well and sometimes he throws the ball and we don’t see it. He’s liable to really throw anything.” Dirk

Kidd to Dirk is the present day Stockton to Malone.

roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 08:17 PM   #24
Murphy3
Guru

regardless whether a defender would rather see a player in the post..or outside.
you have to take into account the needs of the mavericks.. the mavs need someone who can score and distribute from the low post. dirk has proven that he has done so. it adds an extra dimension to his game.
there is no way a team would rather defend against a dirk nowitzki that is dangerous from both the inside and the outside more than a dirk that's just dangerous from the outside.

it's not that difficult to figure out..a multi-dimensional dirk means more to the team than just a jump shooting dirk
Old 04-23-2003, 08:24 PM   #25
roadrunner
Golden Member

roadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to behold

<< it's not that difficult to figure out..a multi-dimensional dirk means more to the team than just a jump shooting dirk >>

Well said Murphy, I agree wholeheartedly.
We ran like a simple play, and usually the ball doesn’t come get me until later. So I just trotted through the play and I looked to the ball, and it was already right there in my face. … He sees the floor so well and sometimes he throws the ball and we don’t see it. He’s liable to really throw anything.” Dirk

Kidd to Dirk is the present day Stockton to Malone.

roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 06:05 AM   #26
David
Golden Member

I thought Pippen was paying Dirk a compliment. As in, he's so deadly from outside, that you would rather have him shooting from inside, as a defender.