Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 02-16-2007, 09:08 AM   #1
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of
Default Chicago Tribune: Scottie Pippen "seriously considering" a comeback

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....home-headlines
Old 02-16-2007, 09:09 AM   #2
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

That would be funny.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:12 AM   #3
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

What a comical article. It refers to Pippen as a "classical point guard" and keeps talking about teams that need a point guard wanting Pippen.

Ummm, has this guy ever watched basketball?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:59 AM   #4
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

If Pippen is really in the best shape he has been in last 5 years...why not give him a shot? I wouldn't mind having him on the Mavs. The man was a great defender, smart player, and has SIX Rings. Experience/Lockerroom presence can help quite a bit. And also if he is near the defender he was back then...why not? I think he can be a great pest on Kobe/Tmac/Lebron/Wade come playoff time. I love the Long arms he has which can really contest jumpers that tmac loves to shoot.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:50 AM   #5
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

this gave me a chuckle
Old 02-16-2007, 12:12 PM   #6
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Pippen, 41, hasn't played since February 2004, when a left knee injury forced him to retire. But he told reporters Thursday that he wants to return, hopefully to a contender that could make use of his experience in a playoff run.

He said he's in good shape, his knee is fine and he'd even be willing to sign a 10-day contract to prove what he can do.

"I'm not going to be a nonstop high-flyer like I was in my prime," Pippen said. "But I can still run. I can still dunk. But most of all, I know the game."

Pippen is in Las Vegas, where he will take part in the Shooting Stars contest during NBA All-Star weekend. Bulls guard Ben Gordon and Candice Dupree of the WNBA's Chicago Sky will be Pippen's teammates in the contest.

"I'm thinking of trying to come back for the playoffs," Pippen said. "Something like the last two months of the season, somewhere I can come back and play limited minutes to start, play point forward for someone and build toward the playoffs. It's something I've been thinking about for the last three months."

Pippen said he'd like to eventually become an NBA coach and would be willing to apprentice as an assistant as well.

''But I'd like to play first," he said. "I feel I still have a year and a half of basketball left in me if I'm put in the right situation. I'd even be willing to sign a 10-day contract. At least that would be a start. I just want a chance to show that I can still help a team.''
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 12:42 PM   #7
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Miami wants him.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:09 PM   #8
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

im about as big a pippen fan as you will find. That said, stay away scottie. Stay away. People already remember you as the broken down player you were sans jordan the second time and forget that you were pretty darn dominant the first time he retired. Dont add more fuel to the fire.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:34 PM   #9
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Seems like he would fit in with the spurs. They all watched the same TV shows growing up.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:36 PM   #10
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Weird question... which team is older: Miami or San Antonio? Ah hell either way you know both teams are going to desperately grasp at the chance for another former star.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:48 PM   #11
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Pippen was one of my favorite players when I first started watching basketball games. But he wouldnt help us as a player, at all.

Phoenix could use him, he would be the only one on the team/staff that knows anything about defense.

Didnt Dirk once say that his favorite player was Scottie Pippen? I think I remember that from when we played the Blazers in the playoffs a few years ago.
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:52 PM   #12
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

I think we should let him work out for us. He's at least worth a look. It seems like he would make a fantastic tutor for Josh Howard.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 05:16 PM   #13
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

I'd take a couple of 10 days on him while George is out with the knee injury. If he really didn't show anything, then cut your losses and move on.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:11 PM   #14
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

Give him a chance if nothing else you put dirks idle on the team
Old 02-16-2007, 08:12 PM   #15
WurzburgBorn

WurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to all

I don't see how signing him for 10 days could hurt. I wouldn't expect him to be able to give this team anything at all, but who knows.
WurzburgBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:16 PM   #16
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 02-16-2007 at 09:17 PM.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:18 PM   #17
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs413
Didnt Dirk once say that his favorite player was Scottie Pippen? I think I remember that from when we played the Blazers in the playoffs a few years ago.
He said that on the Marv Albert show recently too.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:58 PM   #18
Darke

Darke has a spectacular aura aboutDarke has a spectacular aura aboutDarke has a spectacular aura about

10-day contracts does count against the roster limit right?

So if that's right, who would you drop?
Darke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:19 PM   #19
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Beam me up Scottie!!!

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 01:29 AM   #20
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk makes no secret of the fact that Scottie Pippen was his idol growing up. That said, I really hope Scottie stays retired. If he wants to be an assistant coach or something, great. But playing again? Please, no.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 06:38 AM   #21
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

BASKETBALL NOTES

Pippen hoping for late-season return

From wire reports

Scottie Pippen wants to return to the NBA for a chance to win his seventh championship ring.

With most of the league's stars and decision-makers gathering at the All-Star weekend festivities in Las Vegas, the 41-year-old Pippen announced he's hoping for a return to a contending team -- preferably in a warm-weather city -- nearly 2 1/2 years after he retired.

The forward retired in 2004, following a 17-season career.

"I think people love me just as much as they love Michael [Jordan]," Pippen said when asked if he was underappreciated. "The fans who understand the game, the GMs and coaches. I think they'd rather have a Scottie than a Michael."

There was an awkward pause, and someone finally asked why. "Because I'm an all-around player," Pippen said. "Coaches would rather have a Scottie-type player than a Michael. I was an all-around player. I made people around me better.

Last edited by kriD; 02-17-2007 at 06:39 AM.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 06:59 AM   #22
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

nevermind

Last edited by kriD; 02-17-2007 at 07:01 AM.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:15 PM   #23
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriD
"I think people love me just as much as they love Michael [Jordan]," Pippen said when asked if he was underappreciated. "The fans who understand the game, the GMs and coaches. I think they'd rather have a Scottie than a Michael."

There was an awkward pause, and someone finally asked why. "Because I'm an all-around player," Pippen said. "Coaches would rather have a Scottie-type player than a Michael. I was an all-around player. I made people around me better.
Ahhh, so he IS on something after all.
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:14 PM   #24
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I loved scottie growing up, he was my favorite player, but no scottie, people wouldnt rather have you than michael...
Old 02-17-2007, 03:56 PM   #25
WurzburgBorn

WurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to all

Quote:
"Coaches would rather have a Scottie-type player than a Michael. I was an all-around player. I made people around me better.
Yeah. Maybe more people would remember Michael if he had ever made any other players better...say if he had made Scottie better for example.
What a jerk. I don't want him.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:26 PM   #26
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriD

I've heard some really dumb statements by NBA players over the years, but this one easily zooms to number one. Can't afford that type of attitude on this team now. I've changed my mind and don't think the Mavs should even contemplate giving egohead the time of day much less a 10 day contract.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:54 PM   #27
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WurzburgBorn
Yeah. Maybe more people would remember Michael if he had ever made any other players better...say if he had made Scottie better for example.
What a jerk. I don't want him.
pippen had the best season of his career without jordan.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:41 PM   #28
WurzburgBorn

Quote:
Fine. I didn't mean to imply that Pippen was nothing without him. Pippen was one of the best players in NBA history. If not top 50, definitely close.
And maybe I'm overreacting to a guy talking himself up trying to get a contract. But you just don't go around saying teams would rather have someone like you than Michael Jordan. That guy earned some respect and Scottie's comment reeks of disrespect, to a former teammate even! I just don't like the attitude.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:48 PM   #29
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
That's highly arguable at best. I'd say his 91-92 is the best personally, althought the 95-96 and 96-97 would be right up there. I think it's fair to say that playing without Jordan didn't affect his numbers drastically one way or another.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:53 PM   #30
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WurzburgBorn
Fine. I didn't mean to imply that Pippen was nothing without him. Pippen was one of the best players in NBA history. If not top 50, definitely close.
And maybe I'm overreacting to a guy talking himself up trying to get a contract. But you just don't go around saying teams would rather have someone like you than Michael Jordan. That guy earned some respect and Scottie's comment reeks of disrespect, to a former teammate even! I just don't like the attitude.
oh i agree, those comments were retarded at best but hes top 30 of all time.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:43 PM   #31
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Someone has to score points every game - you don't see 140-25 scores in the NBA... Not that I disagree about Pippen being one of the better players in NBA history, but someone had to score the points that Jordan was scoring before...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:19 PM   #32
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
Someone has to score points every game - you don't see 140-25 scores in the NBA... Not that I disagree about Pippen being one of the better players in NBA history, but someone had to score the points that Jordan was scoring before...
they also went 55-27 and lost in 7 to the eventual eastern champion while scottie finished 3rd in mvp voting behind 2 great big men(hakeem, drob).
Old 02-17-2007, 09:46 PM   #33
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

If he can steal d it up I don't see why any team wouldn't give him a look. That's one of the best defenders of all time. But I have to imagine what exactly does he have left?
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:49 PM   #34
Five-ofan
Guru

he looked like he was in good shape tonight.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:53 PM   #35
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Yea i'd like to see if he can still run up and down the court. See what his conditioning is. If he doesn't have that he might as well be 300 pounds.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:13 PM   #36
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

please, no.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:53 PM   #37
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
they also went 55-27 and lost in 7 to the eventual eastern champion while scottie finished 3rd in mvp voting behind 2 great big men(hakeem, drob).

True, Pippen had a great season without Jordan, but it's not like B.J. Armstrong, Ron Harper, Toni Kukoc, or Steve Kerr were scrubs... Not to mention Phil Jackson as coach - that team without MJ still makes the playoffs, no doubt...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote