Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-15-2020, 12:41 AM   #1
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

I am ready to make my prediction. Some of you won't like this, but I feel like it's going to happen, and I want the credit if it does (lol).

I think that Chris Paul trade happens, and I think the Mavs' role in that deal will be to take on Ricky Rubio. They might also be angling for a pick swap (#10 for #18), in which case I believe the target would be either Vassell or SBey, but I'm pretty skeptical that OKC makes the deal without getting #10.

So, DFS/Wright outgoing, with Rubio coming in. OUTSIDE chance of #10 coming in with #18 (and probably #31) going out.

Before anyone freaks out about "how do Luka and Rubio play together" let me just say:

Rubio is still an EXCELLENT on-ball defender. His lineups with Booker last year were very positive in +/-, and actually, Rubio, himself was #7 in the league in on/off net rating. He was a plus in both offensive and defensive on/off. He's one of the most underrated players in the league, actually. His catch and shoot numbers from distance are much better than you think. He's improving as an off-ball shooter as he ages, much like Jason Kidd did.

I think the Mavs want a player to not only be a secondary playmaker (which he is MORE than qualified to be) but also play a little PG. If you can remember how Kidd would bring the ball up, survey the defense, get the team into the right set and then let JET actually run the play, you'll know what I mean. Even just bringing the ball up 20 times a game and allowing Luka to catch the ball with a live dribble at the right spot for the action to start would take A LOT of pressure off of Luka. During most possessions, Rubio will be a ball mover, secondary playmaker and corner catch and shoot guy. And, I believe he'll be damn good at it.

DFS would be a huge loss, but imo, once you get over the shock and wrap your head around it, you'll come to the conclusion that Rubio is a much, much better player. Worth it, I think.

I also think they follow this up by signing Paul Milsap for 2 years at the MLE. There has been a rumor out there about him, but it didn't make sense to sigh him for more than one year, and it doesn't make sense that he'd sign here on a one year deal. He'll get better offers. But, if you imagine Rubio here, the two year deal makes more sense because they'd both expire in '22. Or, they could both be used as 1-year, expiring trade chips next summer if/when the Mavs find a sign-and-trade option they like with one of those free agents. Milsap was #4 in the NBA last year in net on/off rating, btw. He's still a difference maker, and would fit next to KP pretty damn well.

Boom. That's two edgy, veteran winners. That's a hell of an off-season and a chance to get out of the first round. The team would have a chance to be much better on both sides of the court.

The only downside to all of this, imo, is that it leaves them with Jackson being the only true SF option on the team. That's obviously not ideal. If you're an optimist and you think they'll get #10, there will definitely be a plug and play guy there. Hopefully Vassell, but SBey, at least. If not, maybe they draft Josh Green (who I'm not super high on) or Nesmith at #18? Or, maybe SBey even falls that far (probably not).

Hell, they might even be able to swap THJ in a separate deal for a forward. Not sure they'd want to, but it's a possibility.

Flame away, but I promise you I have an answer for everything. I've been fixated on this option for like 48 straight hours. Of all the (realistic) things that have been leaked, this is the scenario that makes the most sense to me, and I think it's telling that they have NOT allowed themselves to be linked publicly to Rubio. That seems very Mavs-esque.

Last edited by KillerLeft; 11-15-2020 at 01:02 AM.
KillerLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 02:53 AM   #2
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerLeft View Post
I am ready to make my prediction. Some of you won't like this, but I feel like it's going to happen, and I want the credit if it does (lol).

I think that Chris Paul trade happens, and I think the Mavs' role in that deal will be to take on Ricky Rubio. They might also be angling for a pick swap (#10 for #18), in which case I believe the target would be either Vassell or SBey, but I'm pretty skeptical that OKC makes the deal without getting #10.

So, DFS/Wright outgoing, with Rubio coming in. OUTSIDE chance of #10 coming in with #18 (and probably #31) going out.

Before anyone freaks out about "how do Luka and Rubio play together" let me just say:

Rubio is still an EXCELLENT on-ball defender. His lineups with Booker last year were very positive in +/-, and actually, Rubio, himself was #7 in the league in on/off net rating. He was a plus in both offensive and defensive on/off. He's one of the most underrated players in the league, actually. His catch and shoot numbers from distance are much better than you think. He's improving as an off-ball shooter as he ages, much like Jason Kidd did.

I think the Mavs want a player to not only be a secondary playmaker (which he is MORE than qualified to be) but also play a little PG. If you can remember how Kidd would bring the ball up, survey the defense, get the team into the right set and then let JET actually run the play, you'll know what I mean. Even just bringing the ball up 20 times a game and allowing Luka to catch the ball with a live dribble at the right spot for the action to start would take A LOT of pressure off of Luka. During most possessions, Rubio will be a ball mover, secondary playmaker and corner catch and shoot guy. And, I believe he'll be damn good at it.

DFS would be a huge loss, but imo, once you get over the shock and wrap your head around it, you'll come to the conclusion that Rubio is a much, much better player. Worth it, I think.

I also think they follow this up by signing Paul Milsap for 2 years at the MLE. There has been a rumor out there about him, but it didn't make sense to sigh him for more than one year, and it doesn't make sense that he'd sign here on a one year deal. He'll get better offers. But, if you imagine Rubio here, the two year deal makes more sense because they'd both expire in '22. Or, they could both be used as 1-year, expiring trade chips next summer if/when the Mavs find a sign-and-trade option they like with one of those free agents. Milsap was #4 in the NBA last year in net on/off rating, btw. He's still a difference maker, and would fit next to KP pretty damn well.

Boom. That's two edgy, veteran winners. That's a hell of an off-season and a chance to get out of the first round. The team would have a chance to be much better on both sides of the court.

The only downside to all of this, imo, is that it leaves them with Jackson being the only true SF option on the team. That's obviously not ideal. If you're an optimist and you think they'll get #10, there will definitely be a plug and play guy there. Hopefully Vassell, but SBey, at least. If not, maybe they draft Josh Green (who I'm not super high on) or Nesmith at #18? Or, maybe SBey even falls that far (probably not).

Hell, they might even be able to swap THJ in a separate deal for a forward. Not sure they'd want to, but it's a possibility.

Flame away, but I promise you I have an answer for everything. I've been fixated on this option for like 48 straight hours. Of all the (realistic) things that have been leaked, this is the scenario that makes the most sense to me, and I think it's telling that they have NOT allowed themselves to be linked publicly to Rubio. That seems very Mavs-esque.
I actually kind of like all of that, but let me ask, what makes you think this actually will happen? Other than simply thinking that it's something that realistically could happen?
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 12:13 PM   #3
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
I actually kind of like all of that, but let me ask, what makes you think this actually will happen? Other than simply thinking that it's something that realistically could happen?
I think Chris Paul to PHX will happen. The rest is just based off of the leak of who might be involved. After thinking about it for way too long, this just seems like a Mavs move. It's really just a feeling I have. It might totally not happen at all, but out of everything I've heard/read/talked with people about these past two months, this is my favorite.
Old 11-15-2020, 06:52 AM   #4
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I’ll let you have this, but I want credit when we win the championship with Cole Anthony.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:01 AM   #5
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

If we get involved in the Paul trade I could see us winding up with the 25th pick instead of the 18th. We gotta pay something
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 11:14 AM   #6
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

If we sacrifice the 31st pick, maybe OKC will take Jackson instead of DFS. Jackson is an expiring contract and supposedly OKC wants to clear the deck

So the trade on our end would be Jackson/Wright/31st/pick swap with OKC
Old 11-15-2020, 12:15 PM   #7
KillerLeft

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
If we get involved in the Paul trade I could see us winding up with the 25th pick instead of the 18th. We gotta pay something
So, in my trade above, what the Mavs would be paying is DFS (fairly significant) and the service of taking Rubio's guaranteed money past next year off the shoulders of OKC, who's rebuilding (VERY significant). Mix in the idea that both PHX and Chris Paul are reportedly trying to find Oubre and Rubio good spots to land (this is why you get Dal and LAC involved at all) and it all makes sense to me.
Old 11-15-2020, 01:24 PM   #8
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
So, in my trade above, what the Mavs would be paying is DFS (fairly significant) and the service of taking Rubio's guaranteed money past next year off the shoulders of OKC, who's rebuilding (VERY significant). Mix in the idea that both PHX and Chris Paul are reportedly trying to find Oubre and Rubio good spots to land (this is why you get Dal and LAC involved at all) and it all makes sense to me.
But we are also giving OKC significant negative equity in Wright who has 2 years left on his contract as well. I'm not sure if DFS is enough of trade chip to overcome Wright AND still keep us in the deal

I would rather send Jackson instead of DFS and include a pick swap and the 31st. We'll still get a good player at 25 - possibly the same player that we would get at 18
Old 11-15-2020, 01:54 PM   #9
KillerLeft

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
But we are also giving OKC significant negative equity in Wright who has 2 years left on his contract as well. I'm not sure if DFS is enough of trade chip to overcome Wright AND still keep us in the deal

I would rather send Jackson instead of DFS and include a pick swap and the 31st. We'll still get a good player at 25 - possibly the same player that we would get at 18
Well, A) it's not entirely clear that Wright would end up in OKC...that might've been the reason to get LAC involved. I assume part of the reason to expand the deal to the multi-team level is to keep as much of that guaranteed money off of OkC's roster as possible.

B) the cost is the cost. I'm sure the Mavs would prefer your deal, too. They're certainly not TRYING to trade DFS, but if he's involved, some team wants it that way, either PHX or LAC.

I agree that your deal is better for the Mavs, and I'd sure hate to see DFS go. But, if that's what it costs I'm still in, personally. I think Rubio makes them significantly better on both sides of the ball.