Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-24-2005, 03:18 PM   #41
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Keith Van Horn to Dallas :-\

It's on SI now, w/a story credited to the AP.

"And the Dallas Mavericks reportedly acquired sharp-shooting big man Keith Van Horn from Milwaukee for Alan Henderson, Calvin Booth and cash considerations."
Old 02-24-2005, 03:18 PM   #42
NoHeartIncluded

NoHeartIncluded is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Keith Van Horn to Dallas :-\

the thing about hendu we're gonna miss we're his picks that he set, it was a small thing but it was one of many small things the guy did right

-Jimmy Valvano
NoHeartIncluded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:19 PM   #43
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Shoot, I don't like the trade simply because I thought we've finally solidify a line-up that we can bring to the playoffs.

However, like some already said, it is a good trade in the long run. We improved our second unit offense and lose nothing on defense.

edit: we do lose some on rebounds, though.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:20 PM   #44
Pongo
Golden Member

Pongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to all

i dont think so, pepper
and i dont hope so [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

the trade makes a lot of sense (for both teams, btw)
Old 02-24-2005, 03:20 PM   #45
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

where is KG? Wasnt he the one that wanted KVH here last summer?

I just wonder what we are going to do against any team with a frontcourt. I'm assuming that KVH willl fill in behind Dirk and Howard. I dont know....

and I sure hope that the chemistry is alright and Nellie isnt acquiring KVH to spread the floor....and I hope Hendu has no problem going up north for his honeymoon.

That said, KVH isnt a great defensive player at all, but he does have considerable skill. And trading Antoine Walker, Tony Delk and the malignant Fortson for Jason Terry, and Keith Van Horn sounds pretty good in theory.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:20 PM   #46
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

wow...can you imagine what kind of deal we can swing at next years deadline when both Terry and KVH will be coming off the books.
You would think that Harris will take over the starting PG position next year. We could bring in a couple of really nice pieces for those two expiring contracts.
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:20 PM   #47
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic trade. As much as I admire Henderson and what he did for the Mavs, KVH is a guy who can really balance out the roster.

Also, they dumped Booth. You're trading deep bench guys for a guy with starter-level talent. No-brainer.

One other thing: KVH has a contract that will fit under the category of "massive expiring contract" next February, which gives the Mavs another great trade asset next year.

Great work by Donnie.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:20 PM   #48
funkadelik

funkadelik is on a distinguished road

can you say two deep?
Old 02-24-2005, 03:20 PM   #49
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: PepperTheMavsFan41
Perhaps another trade is in the works that hasnt been announced yet????
If so, it already happened and we didn't find out yet. The trade deadline has expired.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:20 PM   #50
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

kg_vet is posting over at LMF. I guess he has forsaken all of us here. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:21 PM   #51
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough

This trade stinks. I can not believed we are trading for another offensive players and get rid of two ROLE PLAYERS. This ball club needs role players, especially with DAMP is out for two weeks right now. Can't we just foking sit still for one year without doing any kind of trade?
DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:21 PM   #52
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

alan henderson's expiring contract - $8 million
keith van horn's expiring contract - $16 million

screwing with a team that has won 6 straight on the road - priceless
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:21 PM   #53
PepperTheMavsFan41

PepperTheMavsFan41 is on a distinguished road

So Im drivng to the bank listening to the New Beck song. Kick ASS BTW.

Then I turn it over to ESPNRadio and I hear the end of a phrase that says for "Alan Hendu and Calvin Booth". Then I start to go nuts!

Thats 15 million dollars in sallary!!!!

PJ Brown + ??
Marshall??????
ADavis + ??

Nope

KVH :-?
I can kill cause in god I trust.
It's EVOLUTION baby.
PepperTheMavsFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:21 PM   #54
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

highway robbery. Henderson was good, but we all saw how he couldn't keep up with the younger PFs in the league...Booth has been in a coma all year...I don't see what there is to dislike.

this is our bench: Daniels, Stackhouse, Harris, Armstrong, Van Horn, Bradley, Benga...does anyone have a more dangerous bench in the league?

plus, a roster spot is now free. we can pickup someone to play Booth's role.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:22 PM   #55
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like this trade, but from what we saw last night from hendu, I wasn't that impressed anymore. Henderson was fighting off Collins and Okur, they aren't they great, and he has like 0 points for a long while. Another thing I'm thinking of is I think management isn't too confident who our second scoring option is going to be. I don't think Daniel's and Howard are going to consistently put up big numers on offense, and maybe they're worried about Finley's offense going down too. Also, if the health of Stack may be worse then we thought, and Van Horn is a Big small foward to stick in.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:22 PM   #56
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Fantastic trade. As much as I admire Henderson and what he did for the Mavs, KVH is a guy who can really balance out the roster.

Also, they dumped Booth. You're trading deep bench guys for a guy with starter-level talent. No-brainer.

One other thing: KVH has a contract that will fit under the category of "massive expiring contract" next February, which gives the Mavs another great trade asset next year.

Great work by Donnie.
Nice recycled post from LMF. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2005, 03:22 PM   #57
steponhens

steponhens is on a distinguished road

This move makes the mavs even deeper than they already were, but I don't know if I like it. At least we get some more shooting. I think that was one area that could be improved and definitely has, but henderson was exactly the player we needed. He can bang, got lots of rebounds, had timely play and seemed to be a great team player.

Van Horn is a better player than Henderson, and hopefully we don't have to worry about a career ending injury at any moment. However, I don't think he fits very good. Van Horn is a very poor mans Dirk. Henderson brought something else to the game. He was his own player. I don't see the need for someone that tries to play like Dirk but isn't even close.

Napolean: Whatever I feel like! God!
steponhens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:24 PM   #58
Drbio
Banned

My Mavs pants are hopping. I love this trade.....the more I think about it the better I like it.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:24 PM   #59
DNNF
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: endtroducing

plus, a roster spot is now free. we can pickup someone to play Booth's role.

Najara anyone???
Old 02-24-2005, 03:24 PM   #60
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to lose Hendu's rebounding....
What happens if Dampier is out for a month and a half? Who consistently rebounds besides Dirk and Howard?

Does Mbenga keep a spot on the roster?

I understand the trade. I like the salary flexibility that it will provide. And yes, the Mavs needed another shooter and a guy that could score a bit behind Dirk.

I hate to lose Hendu, but I guess I have to give a thumbs up on this trade. It's a no brainer, but it's still a reluctant thumbs up simply because Hendu is such a class guy and such a good fit.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:25 PM   #61
endtroducing
Golden Member

who would be a good FA pickup right now?
Old 02-24-2005, 03:26 PM   #62
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

So here's the question, though. Who gets signed to fill that 15th (or perhaps...12th) roster spot? Really no reason to sign anyone who doesn't play center when you look at the rest of the roster. Hmm...
Old 02-24-2005, 03:26 PM   #63
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

From Yahoo Sports:

Keith Van Horn #44 | Small Forward | Milwaukee Bucks
Height: 6-10 Weight: 240 Born: Oct 23, 1975 - Fullerton, California College: Utah
Draft: 1997 - 1st round (2nd overall) by the Philadelphia 76ers

Year Team G Min M A Pct M A Pct M A Pct Off Def Tot Ast TO Stl Blk PF PPG
2003 NYK 47 33.5 5.8 13.0 44.5 1.3 3.4 37.3 3.5 4.2 81.9 2.1 5.2 7.3 1.8 2.5 1.1 0.4 3.2 16.4
2003 MIL 25 30.6 5.5 11.6 47.2 1.3 2.9 45.8 3.4 3.6 94.5 2.0 4.3 6.3 1.5 2.0 0.6 0.6 2.6 15.7
2004 MIL 33 24.8 3.9 8.6 44.9 0.9 2.4 38.5 1.7 2.0 86.2 1.7 3.3 5.0 1.2 1.4 0.6 0.3 2.5 10.4
Career 493 33.2 6.3 14.2 44.4 1.1 3.0 36.0 3.4 4.0 83.7 2.1 5.2 7.3 1.7 2.4 0.9 0.6 3.1 17.0

================================================== ==========================================

A #2 pick overall... the guy can obviously play. He's got good shooting percentages from everywhere and he could rebound. His
defense may be suspect, but could provide a nice scoring punch whenever Dirk's on the bench.

I like the move. Especially, since Booth wasn't playing and Henderson was limited in his offense. Van Horn spreads the
floor nicely and, I guess, he fits very well into Nellie's system.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:27 PM   #64
NoHeartIncluded

Keon Clark anyone?

-Jimmy Valvano
Old 02-24-2005, 03:27 PM   #65
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
I hate to lose Hendu's rebounding....
KVH has better career rebounding averages no?

Quote:
What happens if Dampier is out for a month and a half?
Great question. That is the potential down side here.

Quote:
Who consistently rebounds besides Dirk and Howard?
Hopefully KVH and someone else will step up like Stack and/or Finley

Quote:
Does Mbenga keep a spot on the roster?
No doubt about it. He is the third center now. Plus, we still havea roster spot. Another center by ten day contract anyone? Or warse....maybe TAW shows up.

Old 02-24-2005, 03:27 PM   #66
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

at least we didnt pitch in any of our very few remaining draft picks.

Tonight though its

Bradley/M'Benga versus Brad Miller/ Greg Ostertag
Dirk Nowitzi versus Darius Songaila
Josh Howard versus Peja/Kevin Martin
Finley/Daniels versus Cuttino/Mau evans
Terry/Harris/DA versus Bibby/House

key matchups at the 4 and 5.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:28 PM   #67
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

this trade may also say something about stack's groin injury.

if stack's gonna be hobbled longer than expected, van horn can give us some minutes behind howard at the 3, along with backing up dirk at the 4 spot.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:29 PM   #68
DNNF
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
My Mavs pants are hopping. I love this trade.....the more I think about it the better I like it.

How the hell is this better? I wouldn't do a trade of Hendu for KVH straight up even if the salary allowed. We just traded a very solid defender for a player who passed his prime with no defensive skills. I thought we are shifting gears toward defense. Nellie must go.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:29 PM   #69
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: mnmpeanut
this trade may also say something about stack's groin injury.

if stack's gonna be hobbled longer than expected, van horn can give us some minutes behind howard at the 3, along with backing up dirk at the 4 spot.
very good point peanut.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:31 PM   #70
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: DNNF
Quote:

How the hell is this better? I wouldn't do a trade of Hendu for KVH straight up even if the salary allowed. We just traded a very solid defender for a player who passed his prime with no defensive skills. I thought we are shifting gears toward defense. Nellie must go.
I cannot fathom how anyone can look at the facts of the trade, make the statistical comparisons and not love this trade. But, I can respect your preference....don't agree, but if you feel that way, it's fine.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:31 PM   #71
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

its basically Hendu for KVH, because Booth has had one good game all year, and thats becasue Damp was out, and Booth played one half and picked up 5 fouls.
Also did anyone else notice some of the Mavs frustations with Booth on the court last night. He had his head up his ass, and right before the half you could see fin and Dirk were not happy with him.
Now lets hope DJ gets some PT, and does something with it.
So I like it. Also lets hope Bradley keeps his head out of his ass, and shows some consistancy.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:31 PM   #72
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Heads up, Bob & Dan are analyzing the trade next on the Ticket.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:33 PM   #73
NoHeartIncluded

spurs just traded rose for mohammed and brewer and baron is gone to warriors for speedY and DD

-Jimmy Valvano
Old 02-24-2005, 03:33 PM   #74
endtroducing
Golden Member

Quote:
Quote:

yes, the sky is falling. by trading our 30 something year old backup power forward and a center that has been in a basketball coma for two years, for a 6'10 shooter and quality scoring behind Dirk...our season is now over. we obviously can't win with another guy that can score, because we all obviously know EXACTLY how he will play here and EXACTLY what he will do. man, I guess we better just hope for next season, huh?
Old 02-24-2005, 03:33 PM   #75
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
This trade stinks. I can not believed we are trading for another offensive players and get rid of two ROLE PLAYERS. This ball club needs role players, especially with DAMP is out for two weeks right now. Can't we just foking sit still for one year without doing any kind of trade?
I mostly care about Henderson. When he is going, he can be a real threat on the boards and can get open for layups. KVH is just another mouth to feed. Hopefully he likes to rebound and work on his defense....

KVH is probably 2" taller than Hendu, a better shooter than Booth...

Even if we had a great distributor, I think there might have been problems but as it is, I am very concerned for this team's offensive flow and how KVH will fit into that. He hasn't exactly been a desirable player in Milwaukie.

I guess I'll wait the month it will take to work him into our system.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:34 PM   #76
Drbio
Banned

Dampier - Bradley - Benga
Nowitzki - Van Horn
Howard - Daniels
Finley - Stackhouse
Terry - Harris - Armstrong

What's not to like....plus, there is an open roster spot.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:34 PM   #77
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Doc, I like the trade and I think the Mavs got the good end of the deal...just liked the way Hendu fit with the Mavs. I know that the two are comparable rebounders, but I think I'd take a healthy Hendu on the glass over KVH.

Like I said, I like the trade...it's a no brainer. But, hate to lose Hendu....
Old 02-24-2005, 03:35 PM   #78
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all

I feel kind of sorry for KvH. He was really down after being traded from NYK and took a while to report to the Bucks. Now he already knows he'll be traded again within a year due to his expiring contract. Of course, that's the life of an NBA player but that doesnt make it easier on his kids constantly having to move.

I like the trade though.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:35 PM   #79
Drbio
Banned

Antoine Walker back to Boston for GP?????

Wow.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:36 PM   #80
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: NoHeartIncluded
spurs just traded rose for mohammed and brewer and baron is gone to warriors for speedY and DD
nice move for the Spurs.