Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 04-02-2007, 10:10 AM   #1
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future
Default Blades of Glory...

anyone see this movie yet? my husband and I went Saturday night and I laughed so hard I nearly wet my pants! absolutely hysterical. there were many one-liners I missed because I couldn't hear over my own laughter for the one-liner right before it. I thought that maybe I was crazy, but my brother and sister-in-law both found it hysterical as well. they said it was better than Old School. I don't know if I want to go quite that far yet, but it is definitely worth the price of admission! Will Ferrell is just a comedic genius.

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2007, 12:36 PM   #2
MissNU

MissNU has a spectacular aura aboutMissNU has a spectacular aura aboutMissNU has a spectacular aura about

I heard it was great but have not seen it yet. I'm going to try to catch it tomorrow.
MissNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:07 PM   #3
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

so effing funny.

i laugh just thinking about it.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:16 PM   #4
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

it's good. not as funny as Anchorman or Old School...about equal with Ricky Bobby. maybe a bit too soon after Ricky Bobby to be hilarious. He needs to space his comedies out to about one every year/year and a half, imo.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:37 PM   #5
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat
it's good. not as funny as Anchorman or Old School...about equal with Ricky Bobby. maybe a bit too soon after Ricky Bobby to be hilarious. He needs to space his comedies out to about one every year/year and a half, imo.

No way! i'll take will ferrell everyday of the week..he's butt funny
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:16 PM   #6
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

well, Old School and Ricky Bobby were letdowns, and Anchorman was just missing something. Oh well, I had high hopes for this one.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:24 PM   #7
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX
No way! i'll take will ferrell everyday of the week..he's butt funny
thank you for the new phrase.... "butt funny".... that gives me a giggle. And I will be seeing this movie on Thursday (hopefully).
Old 04-02-2007, 03:38 PM   #8
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
well, Old School and Ricky Bobby were letdowns, and Anchorman was just missing something. Oh well, I had high hopes for this one.
Old School was a let down? Wow. Letdown from what, exactly?

Talladega Nights was not good at all, I'll give you that. But Old School and Anchorman are awesome.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:21 PM   #9
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Old School was a let down? Wow. Letdown from what, exactly?
High expectations, I guess. There's the square Will from the music teacher and cheerleader SNL skits that just sucked eggs, and the laugh riot Will from cowbell, casual day at the office, and nude model skits. Most of his movies have been somewhere in the middle. Old School looked like it'd be the laugh riot will, but it turned out to be the square will, acting like the laugh riot will. Anchorman was a great character, but the story was just empty. Same with Ricky Bobby. Elf and Stranger then Fiction are measuring sticks for me. I'm still looking forward to seeing this one at the theater. My excitement is tempered, though, with the comparisons to the other Ferrell slapsticks.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:58 PM   #10
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I never really liked Old School all that much. It really left no impression on me whatsoever. I can't even recall the premise behind it. I do enjoy Will Ferrell... especially in Anchorman. Ricky Bobby made me laugh much more than Old School did... especially the dinner where he wanted to pray to the baby Jesus..... I'm laughing right now just typing about it. I can't stop.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:14 PM   #11
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
High expectations, I guess. There's the square Will from the music teacher and cheerleader SNL skits that just sucked eggs, and the laugh riot Will from cowbell, casual day at the office, and nude model skits. Most of his movies have been somewhere in the middle. Old School looked like it'd be the laugh riot will, but it turned out to be the square will, acting like the laugh riot will. Anchorman was a great character, but the story was just empty. Same with Ricky Bobby. Elf and Stranger then Fiction are measuring sticks for me. I'm still looking forward to seeing this one at the theater. My excitement is tempered, though, with the comparisons to the other Ferrell slapsticks.
Stranger than Fiction was really, really good, I do agree with that.

But as far as goofy comedies starring Will Ferrell, Old School is the gold standard by which all others are measured.

I can't belive there are people out there that enjoyed Talladega Nights more than Old School. I thought it flat sucked. Really illustrates the subjectiveness of movies.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 04-02-2007, 08:55 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Blades of Glory was good..not as good as Ricky Bobby... better than Anchorman.. not nearly as good as Old School... but yeah, it was good.. definitely a movie that you shouldn't regret spending the money on to see in theatres...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:45 PM   #13
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Okay I went and saw it tonight. It was funny, but it wasn't side splitting funny....

Definitely worth the money though. Jon Heder is stuck as Napoleon though.... everytime I see him that's all I can think about.

That dang outfit he wore in the beginning had me laughing though.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 04-02-2007 at 09:45 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:04 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

There were a couple of times that I thought about NapDynamite during the movie, but not for the most part.... Watch school for scoundrels and you might be able to break away from that a bit more....
Old 04-03-2007, 01:01 AM   #15
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

"you get that damn bird out of my face before i break its neck!"
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:46 AM   #16
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

It was okay. Talladega Nights was quite a bit better.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:31 AM   #17
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

it is mind-bottling to me how few of you really appreciated this movie.

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:33 AM   #18
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by raefformvp
I highly appreciated the movie. I appreciate it more hours after seeing it. The mark of a great comedy is that it makes you giggle after you leave... and I can't quit laughing right now about it.

This movie also made me re-realize that Amy Poehler is a hot. So is Heder's girlfriend.... but she's NOT A WHORE!
Old 04-03-2007, 07:35 AM   #19
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

That first scene in Poehler's house.... the guy on the Bear skin rug was frickin' hillarious.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:38 AM   #20
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

I'm listening right now to that confusing yet provacative song...... My Humps.

Okay... I'll quit posting now.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:56 AM   #21
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

that u2sarajevo is butt funny.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:06 AM   #22
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
you have just proven why so many on this site think of you as mentally challenged...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:30 AM   #23
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
you have just proven why so many on this site think of you as mentally challenged...
haha. more like mentally retarded
Old 04-03-2007, 02:58 PM   #24
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

Posters who think Old School isn't top notch comedy gold should be banned and forced into graduate school under the tutelage of Drbio!
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:40 PM   #25
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by raefformvp
damn those people bottling your mind!

as to all of you, if you are ranking true will ferrell vehicles, Anchorman has to be #1. Old School was an ensemble cast, and i really feel that Vince Vaughn was the best part of the movie, although Ferrell did have some great lines. Not diminishing Old School (i loved it), but to me, it's not a "Will Ferrell" movie.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 04-03-2007 at 05:40 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:20 PM   #26
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux

as to all of you, if you are ranking true will ferrell vehicles, Anchorman has to be #1. Old School was an ensemble cast, and i really feel that Vince Vaughn was the best part of the movie, although Ferrell did have some great lines. Not diminishing Old School (i loved it), but to me, it's not a "Will Ferrell" movie.
Hmmm. Interesting.

I can agree with that, but if we're including movies where he's part of the ensemble, do we then have to include Wedding Crashers? Much smaller part, but a big part of it nontheless, and it's right up there with Old School, imo.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-03-2007, 10:29 PM   #27
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

no, his part in wedding crashers was a cameo, not part of an ensemble, in my professional opinion.

Also, Wedding Crashers was a Buddy Comedy, not an ensemble comedy.

anything else you guys need to know, just ask.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 04-04-2007 at 08:41 AM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:36 AM   #28
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
You know.... like your mind is trapped in a bottle.

(sorry raef, I was waiting for you to give this reply.... but I gave up. )
Old 04-04-2007, 12:06 PM   #29
raefformvp
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
You know.... like your mind is trapped in a bottle.

(sorry raef, I was waiting for you to give this reply.... but I gave up. )
that's okay. I was going to respond last night, but the night is a very dark time for me.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:17 PM   #30
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
hey, I am just a firm believer in the idea that the funny parts of a comedy shouldn't fit entirely into the preview trailer, that aliens are probably evil, and that good movies have plots.

(and I prefer the term "dimwitted." Don't make me call the ACLU on you!)

(and MavsX, you're just still upset that I undercut you at the Spec. Olympics. Everyone was a winner but you )
Old 04-06-2007, 03:45 PM   #31
MavsX
Diamond Member

haha. Son of a bitch!
Old 04-06-2007, 04:27 PM   #32
Murphy3
Guru

sorry UL, but I can't imagine anyone not thinking that Old School was greatness..... I suppose you're probably more inclined to like movies such as Mr. Bean or Cabin Boy...
Old 04-07-2007, 10:57 PM   #33
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

and if there were any doubts before, there shouldn't be any now....

Old 04-08-2007, 09:10 AM   #34
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Ok, saw this the other night. Much, much better than Talladega Nights, imo.

Not on part with Anchorman or Old School, but still darn good.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-08-2007, 10:51 AM   #35
MavsX
Diamond Member

see it today! happy easter everybody
Old 04-08-2007, 03:41 PM   #36
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe the lack of love for Talladega Nights around here. That movie made me laugh many times more than any other Will Ferrell movie.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:14 PM   #37
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Ok, saw this the other night. Much, much better than Talladega Nights, imo.

Not on part with Anchorman or Old School, but still darn good.
That was my sentiment. Although I'm not sure if I can really determine whether it's on par with Anchorman and Old School until I watch it a few more times to see if it has the same replay value as those two.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:07 PM   #38
MissNU

MissNU has a spectacular aura aboutMissNU has a spectacular aura aboutMissNU has a spectacular aura about

I just watched Talladega Nights again this week. Shake and Bake!
MissNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 04:27 PM   #39
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

I just saw Blades of Glory...it was really funny, but I agree, Talladega Nights has the edge. I pretty much love all of these movies though.

"I swear...if you cut my head off..." *snicker*

Last edited by ames7; 04-14-2007 at 04:27 PM.
ames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:52 PM   #40
Murphy3
Guru

I think Anchorman's being overrated a bit by alot of y'all.