Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 10-02-2003, 12:46 PM   #1
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all
Default Favorite Bit on the Ticket

I will have to think about it and chime in later.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2003, 01:00 PM   #2
dallas_esq
Golden Member

dallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: Favorite Bit on the Ticket

That is so tough, because I love them all. Emergency break of the week is always good. Danny Paul's songs are HILARIOUS. Go Lance go! Reader's Theater, WB promos.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:04 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

WB previews
Overcusser
Obvious Man
Interrupter
Gordo when he gets on a roll on the rant.
Many of the songs on the Hardline
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 03:11 PM   #4
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

I love to hear the observation deck by Gordo on my way to work. Makes me laugh! I also loved the WB Dawson's Creek promos. The fake Mark Cuban, Dirk, and Nash are greatness as well.

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 03:35 PM   #5
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

The girl on television who is so good looking we've got to watch out for her because she is so good looking.

...not really... just think that is the funniest name for a bit.

My favorite bit, hands down is the Emergency Break of the Week. But I love the Rant (the 2 hour Saturday bit). They have started putting Ben and Skin on one weekend a month which I think is a mistake. Only because they try hard to emulate the Rant while talking Sports. It just seems so contrived to me.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:18 PM   #6
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Of regularly scheduled bits, probably Homer Call of the Week, followed by E-Brake and Muse in the News.

Of randon bits, certainly the overcusser.

Least favorite by far is the fake Billy Tubbs.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 04:22 PM   #7
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

The Ticker - that's the only time that you know there is going to be sports talk on the station.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 04:32 PM   #8
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: MFFL
The Ticker - that's the only time that you know there is going to be sports talk on the station.
....what about 10-12 weekdays... the greatness of Norm Hitzges...
Old 10-02-2003, 04:33 PM   #9
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
Quote:
He's out sick. [img]i/expressions/brokenheart.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2003, 04:34 PM   #10
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
Quote:
He's out sick. [img]i/expressions/brokenheart.gif[/img]
true... but when he's not...
Old 10-02-2003, 04:36 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Captain Doo-Doo
Old 10-02-2003, 04:37 PM   #12
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

"When your constipated and you need to poo.. you can count on Captain Doo-Doo"

Hillarious.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:39 PM   #13
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

I love the fake Norm recently....."Groobs"

The WB previews are freeking hilarious.

ohh yeah...

When your constapated and you need to poo...you can call on Captain doo-doo
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 04:39 PM   #14
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Old 10-02-2003, 04:40 PM   #15
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

I really could do without the bathroom humor. I don't like the fart and burp jokes, diareha pants, bed , etc. and I don't like the Captain.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 04:47 PM   #16
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Old 10-02-2003, 11:02 PM   #17
dallas_esq
Golden Member

dallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the rough

Gettin tapped by the Captain?
Old 10-02-2003, 11:28 PM   #18
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Being in radio myself - I have a couple of observations about The Ticket:

First, they are not a sports talk station. they try to position and brand themselves as such...but u2 hit the nail on the head when he said that Norm's is the only show that talks sports...and that has more to do with the implosion of KLIF than any decisions on the Ticket...

Secondly, they better get their crap together. Two new sports stations have come on in the market in the last year or two. When those stations (or another one) figure it all out - they are going to blow past the Ticket in the Arbitrons...

Earlier this week I indulged myself and listened to the first segment on the Hardline. it was about Greg Williams wanting to learn to weld...it was mindless, pointless, rambling - with no point at all. Stuff that only the people on the show would care about...I sighed. The next day I turned the station on and they were replaying the welding segment...

The DFW 25-54 male is not as stupid as they would believe...they need to hone and focus their programming or their days are numbered...they've never really had serious competition before and the day they do - that thing is going to come unraveled.

Mark it down.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:31 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

i must say that the ticket is whipping the asses of the other two stations.

and no, the ticket doesn't talk sports all the time, but they surely talk enough sports to be conisidered a sports station
Old 10-02-2003, 11:37 PM   #20
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

For now, you're right, Murph. The thing that is killing the other stations is that they are syndicating too much national programming - they are breaking one of the cardinal rules of radio: Good local programming beats Great syndicated programming 99% of the time. It's just a fact.

I understand they talk enough sports for you - but technically speaking they are (industry wide) considered a "guy talk" station as opposed to a true sports station...
Old 10-02-2003, 11:54 PM   #21
Murphy3
Guru

when fox and espn tries to go with local shows, they fail miserably
Old 10-03-2003, 12:05 AM   #22
XERXES
Diamond Member

i can see that viewpoint (although espn is coming around) - but it's still better than national syndicated fodder and loads better than "welding talk"...
Old 10-03-2003, 12:05 AM   #23
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally posted by: XERXES
Being in radio myself - I have a couple of observations about The Ticket:

First, they are not a sports talk station. they try to position and brand themselves as such...but u2 hit the nail on the head when he said that Norm's is the only show that talks sports...and that has more to do with the implosion of KLIF than any decisions on the Ticket...

Secondly, they better get their crap together. Two new sports stations have come on in the market in the last year or two. When those stations (or another one) figure it all out - they are going to blow past the Ticket in the Arbitrons...

Earlier this week I indulged myself and listened to the first segment on the Hardline. it was about Greg Williams wanting to learn to weld...it was mindless, pointless, rambling - with no point at all. Stuff that only the people on the show would care about...I sighed. The next day I turned the station on and they were replaying the welding segment...

The DFW 25-54 male is not as stupid as they would believe...they need to hone and focus their programming or their days are numbered...they've never really had serious competition before and the day they do - that thing is going to come unraveled.

Mark it down.
If either of those two crappy sports stations EVER take over the Ticket in arbitron ratings, I'll donate my left nut to science.

It ain't happening.

And I listen every day, religously to the Hardline. They don't replay segments.... EVER. You must have been listening to the Ticket top 10 the same night.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:08 AM   #24
XERXES
Diamond Member

Actually, they often replay a segment from the previous day in their opening segment...it's yet another way they "burn" segments...
Old 10-03-2003, 12:13 AM   #25
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
I understand they talk enough sports for you - but technically speaking they are (industry wide) considered a "guy talk" station as opposed to a true sports station...
That's pretty much the way I feel about them. I'll tune in every once in awhile and see if they are talking sports but usually they are just talking "guy stuff". Since I don't care for bits or talk about welding classes, I just move on.

But I doubt if a true sports station would make it in this market. The Cowboys are the only team that have a large number of fans on a consistent basis. The Rangers are a family diversion most of the time and when they do win, they draw bandwagon fans who fade away when the winning is over. The Mavericks and the Stars each have a small and loyal fan base but the only way that a large number of fans get interested is when they are winning. There aren't any local college football or basketball teams. So there isn't a large consistent base of sports fans - except the Cowboys and you can't have a full time Cowboy station. Sad to say, but the Ticket might be the best the area can hope for.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:16 AM   #26
Murphy3
Guru

xerxes..i understand that you dont' like the station..but there's no reason to think that they would be losing their stranglehold over the DFW radio sports market..no indications of anything remotely similar.

and listen to any sports show...jim rome is nothing but a giant "burnt segment".
dan patrick "burns" segments all the time

fisher? anything he does is a waste of time...
any time newy opens his mouth, stupid sh!t comes out of it.

Galloway is a drunken idiot

and guess what, sports talk radio in dallas is better than anywhere i've listed to around the country
Old 10-03-2003, 12:22 AM   #27
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

and guess what, sports talk radio in dallas is better than anywhere i've listed to around the country

Murph your right, I live outside of Tampa and all we get is rhome and some BS sportstalk guys who use schtick that isn't half as funny as the ticket
Old 10-03-2003, 12:26 AM   #28
XERXES
Diamond Member

I actually like the station...i know a lot of the staff...and they do a lot of things well...

I just think there is a market for a true "sports" station in dfw (the 5th largest media market in the nation) and when someone comes along and does it well - it will surpass what the Ticket does. I'm of the opinion when one of these other stations gets it together and actually talks more sports than welding - they'll surpass KTCK...
Old 10-03-2003, 12:29 AM   #29
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

they might take the fans that only want to hear sports but when you listen to the ticket, your listening to it for more than just sports
Old 10-03-2003, 12:32 AM   #30
Murphy3
Guru

how much sports is enough?..so, the ticket talks 65% sports while other leading national stations talk 75% sports?.. how much is enough to classify as a "sports talk" station.

listen to cornheiser in the morning talk about politics and movies....espn radio is loaded with guys throughout the day that talk about things other than sports..

any station that they bring in will talk about things other than sports. Why? because there's simply not enough new information to present to completely cover 85 hours or so monday through friday..
Old 10-03-2003, 12:39 AM   #31
dallas_esq
Golden Member

I'm sorry, but if you don't get the ticket, you don't have a sense of humor. You have to listen to it for an entire day, then you will be hooked. I used to think U2 was insane. Now I know more about what's happening to Grego and Rines than he does.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:54 AM   #32
XERXES
Diamond Member

I'm not sure I'm communicating my point well. I'm really not disagreeing with you. I like guy talk and listen from time to time. But, for sports talk I go elsewhere. You guys are sold on it. I think that's great. I may have overestimated the demographic...

And, per yours and Fah's earlier point: on a national level the ticket is on par with it's market size . It's better than stations in smaller markets but is behind most larger market stations. Tampa would be considered the former.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:59 AM   #33
Murphy3
Guru

you're selling the ticket short when you start calling other stations "sports talk" and calling the ticket "guys talk"

sure, the ticket talks alot about things other than sports..but so does espn radio. I don't know if Fox does..basically because they suck so badly that I cannot stand to listen. but, i know when fish was on, he talked about things other than sports. hell, half of his show consisted of bashing the ticket. that's not exactly "sports" talk
Old 10-03-2003, 06:54 AM   #34
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Actually, they often replay a segment from the previous day in their opening segment...it's yet another way they "burn" segments...
No... they don't replay a segment. They may replay a "bit", but not a segment.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:26 AM   #35
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Kind of along the lines of what MFFL said, I can't see the ticket being replaced by a "pure sports" station. This is not the market for it. I can see some of the bigger northeastern markets like a Boston where they are passionate about all of their teams and can talk Red Sox year around. Same with NY. People in this town just don't have the emotional ties to the Rangers or the Mavs.

In the summer when baseball is the only sport in season listening to those other sports stations local programming is torture. They pick generic topic like "what player to you love to hate" and take calls on it for 2 hours. Even for a sports fanatic, that gets old pretty quick.

Xerxes, I you seem to make a point for the ticket when you talk about how local programming is superior to national. The ticket is local from 5am until 12 midnights 5 days a week and from I believe (I'm not up that early) 8-6 on weekends. No other station is close. Fox has been on the air for over a year and they still don't even show up in the ratings.

That's not even taking into account the tickets established ties with the community. They can pull hundreds to a local road show and thousands to their big events. As long has they have their current personalities, they aren't going anywhere.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:29 AM   #36
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Faviorite Character-Fake Jerry

Favorite Segment - Any Gordo man on the street work