Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-20-2003, 10:57 AM   #1
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

In watching the past couple of months, I've become really irritated with Nash's play. I can't remember the last time he had a great (or even very good) performance.

Statistically, in November Nash averaged 7.9 assists per game. In December and January, he has averaged 5.6 assists per game. This to me is the stat that most clearly highlights the deterioration in Nash's game.

I looked at shot attempts, but Nash is only averaging about one more attempt per game in this poor stretch of play, so I don't think it's solely a product of Nash being selfish or just looking for his own shot. Yet, I think we can all agree that Nash has not been particularly effective running the offense over the past couple of months. So what is the problem?

I personally think that it stems from a couple of things. First, he is the focal point of many opposing defenses, and they do seem to force him to do things he's not as comfortable doing. Also, his penetration-and-kick routines have become a bit predictable, and I think defenses are able to take away a lot of his passing lanes. Second, I think there's a lot of confusion when he has to play alongside Van Exel. While I readily admit I hate the "two PG" lineup, the supposed advantage of such a lineup was that it put an extra playmaker on the floor and that the two would be able to feed off of one another and make life very difficult for opposing defenses. Instead, what I've seen over the past couple of months has been two guys who don't know who's supposed to set up the offense, who's supposed to score, and what offense it is that they're running anyway. One guy tends to get the ball at the top of the key and try to penetrate while the other guy stands around and watches. The Mavericks offense as a whole has been very stagnant lately, and I think that has contributed to Nash's statistical drop and his unsteady play.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:00 PM   #2
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

Yes, ball movement is the key. The passing is just not there these days. As to why, I think you are correct that they are keying on Nash and cutting off passing lanes. But passing lanes are unpredictable if guys are cutting toward the bucket. Instead everyone stands around with no energy and watches, no offensive rebounding at all. Occasionally Raef will get in there, but it is few and far between, and Eddy is missed badly in that regard. Things will get much better when he returns, and you can count on that!

Another angle on Nash IMO is that earlier in the year he looked as if he was having fun with a good attitude out there. Now he looks like it is work and another day at the office. He "appears" IMO to believe that he must be the one to lift his game to lift the team. He has given up on the pass in halfcourt offense because of increased turnovers in the penetration game.

Bottom line: He needs to let the game come to him and not force himself upon the game as much. Our transition game has gone away, get yourself back in the flow Steve. Trust your team mates more! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 12:33 PM   #3
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Nash down in assists. Players around him shooting percentages are down. Well Except Nick. If you would've told me earlier in the season he would be the only one bringing his shooting percentage I would've laughed.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 12:35 PM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

If he's not taking any more shots (wow it sure doesn't seem like that) then in my opinion the assists are down because folks can't hit the broad side of a barn. Especially the safety valve finley...
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 12:38 PM   #5
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I would agree to a certain extent that people are missing shots, but I could look back on shooting percentages and I bet that Fin has been shooting about 41-43% consistently for the whole season, so I don't know that you've found the answer simply by saying teammates aren't scoring off of his passes. I think for whatever the reason, Steve's just not finding the open man nearly as often.

The Mavericks had a pathetic 14 assists for the entire game last night. That tells you that the team is getting absolutely no ball movement and is playing WAY too much isolation basketball.

You make it easy on the defense when one guy dribbles/drives while the rest stand around and watch. The Kings dissected the Mavericks simply by moving, cutting, and passing the ball beautifully.

Old 01-20-2003, 12:52 PM   #6
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

To my knowledge no one shot that well last nite. Did anyone see the assists Dirk got? He was gettin his assists from going inside to Raef and I saw a beauty he through to Finley inside. People not hitting shots is no excuse Dude. Dirk managed to get 5 assists last nite.

1996-2005
Old 01-20-2003, 01:18 PM   #7
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

<< To my knowledge no one shot that well last nite. Did anyone see the assists Dirk got? He was gettin his assists from going inside to Raef and I saw a beauty he through to Finley inside. People not hitting shots is no excuse Dude. Dirk managed to get 5 assists last nite. >>

Good point. I tell you it is a change in ATTITUDE that has made Nash not as successful. He goes it alone more often, therefore his team mates don't move when he has the ball. He is forcing his own shot. Case in point, game ending shot with the Bucks. He had no intention of even passing on that play even though Dirk was hot. His team mates have recognized this. It is a viscious circle, unless you play a team game.

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 01:51 PM   #8
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't put my finger on why he's dribbling it so much. He's not taking any more shots. He's playing WITH nick I guess to get more outside shots. If he's not taking more then he may not have the ball in his hands as much as we now have the point forward thing going.

But he does seem to be dribbling it too much. I wonder if the big slump folks went through has messed with his mind...

Finley was horrible for a while 1-28 for 8 games in a row, but he's bounced back nicely shooting 46% in the last 7... That is something nash should be noticing.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 01:51 PM   #9
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

<<

<< To my knowledge no one shot that well last nite. Did anyone see the assists Dirk got? He was gettin his assists from going inside to Raef and I saw a beauty he through to Finley inside. People not hitting shots is no excuse Dude. Dirk managed to get 5 assists last nite. >>

Good point. I tell you it is a change in ATTITUDE that has made Nash not as successful. He goes it alone more often, therefore his team mates don't move when he has the ball. He is forcing his own shot. Case in point, game ending shot with the Bucks. He had no intention of even passing on that play even though Dirk was hot. His team mates have recognized this. It is a viscious circle, unless you play a team game.
>>

Exactly. Nash is the last option to shoot on the offensive side of the ball. He might be the best shooter but he is more effective distributing rather than shooting.

1996-2005
Old 01-20-2003, 01:55 PM   #10
USAPA

USAPA is on a distinguished road

Nash is a good player. IMO, he dribbles too much but he's a heck of a PG. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
USAPA is offline   Reply With Quote