Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-12-2014, 01:59 AM   #4161
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

You da' man Dirk!!

Nowitzki, who scored 23 points in the win to give him 26,953 in his career, received two standing ovations from the sellout crowd at the American Airlines Center. The first occurred during the next break in play. The next came during a timeout a few minutes later, following a video on the arena big screens that showed all of his milestone shots.
Holger Geschwindner, Nowitzki's longtime shot doctor and mentor, was in the crowd. Geschwindner began developing Nowitzki as a lanky teenager in Germany and continues to make three visits to Dallas per season to work with him in addition to their summer sessions.

The one-legged fade has helped Dirk Nowitzki move into ninth on the NBA scoring list past Hakeem Olajuwon, but the
ESPN Stats & Information recaps Dirk Nowitzki's accomplishments, comparing him to Hakeem Olajuwon and noting what he needs to do to move further up the NBA scoring list.

"It's great for him to be here and see it," Nowitzki said. "He meant so much to me in my career and he still does. I'm 36 years old and we still work on my game like I'm 21 years old. It's fair to say that without him I wouldn't be sitting at number 9 right now.

"If you know him, he rarely gets excited. It's hard to get a smile out of him. Maybe he was smiling a little bit. He'll probably critique me on the five shots I missed. That's just him."

Nowitzki, a 12-time All-Star who is averaging 20.9 points this season, is likely to be the seventh-leading scorer in NBA history within a couple of months. The next players he would pass are Elvin Hayes (27,313) and Moses Malone (27,409).

"Dirk has earned everything he's gotten, and every step up the ladder he takes is a reflection of his effort and his focus," Mavs owner Mark Cuban said before the game. "To be the greatest international scorer ever is an amazing accomplishment. We're glad to have him here."

Added coach Rick Carlisle: "It's just a tribute to his greatness. Guys like him that live their entire life committed to excellence are able to do things like this, and that is why he is so special."
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2014, 01:59 AM   #4162
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

You da' man Dirk!!

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/...s-scoring-list
Nowitzki, who scored 23 points in the win to give him 26,953 in his career, received two standing ovations from the sellout crowd at the American Airlines Center. The first occurred during the next break in play. The next came during a timeout a few minutes later, following a video on the arena big screens that showed all of his milestone shots.
Holger Geschwindner, Nowitzki's longtime shot doctor and mentor, was in the crowd. Geschwindner began developing Nowitzki as a lanky teenager in Germany and continues to make three visits to Dallas per season to work with him in addition to their summer sessions.

The one-legged fade has helped Dirk Nowitzki move into ninth on the NBA scoring list past Hakeem Olajuwon, but the
ESPN Stats & Information recaps Dirk Nowitzki's accomplishments, comparing him to Hakeem Olajuwon and noting what he needs to do to move further up the NBA scoring list.

"It's great for him to be here and see it," Nowitzki said. "He meant so much to me in my career and he still does. I'm 36 years old and we still work on my game like I'm 21 years old. It's fair to say that without him I wouldn't be sitting at number 9 right now.

"If you know him, he rarely gets excited. It's hard to get a smile out of him. Maybe he was smiling a little bit. He'll probably critique me on the five shots I missed. That's just him."

Nowitzki, a 12-time All-Star who is averaging 20.9 points this season, is likely to be the seventh-leading scorer in NBA history within a couple of months. The next players he would pass are Elvin Hayes (27,313) and Moses Malone (27,409).

"Dirk has earned everything he's gotten, and every step up the ladder he takes is a reflection of his effort and his focus," Mavs owner Mark Cuban said before the game. "To be the greatest international scorer ever is an amazing accomplishment. We're glad to have him here."

Added coach Rick Carlisle: "It's just a tribute to his greatness. Guys like him that live their entire life committed to excellence are able to do things like this, and that is why he is so special."
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 11-12-2014 at 02:01 AM.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:27 AM   #4163
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk is now 9th in points but 19th in shot attempts and 14th in misses.

He's absolutely insanely efficient, and eveN more impressive since he isn't a post player and most of those are coming from jumpers.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:47 AM   #4164
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Dirk is now 9th in points but 19th in shot attempts and 14th in misses.

He's absolutely insanely efficient, and eveN more impressive since he isn't a post player and most of those are coming from jumpers.
GREAT INFO, EL!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:22 AM   #4165
dude1394
Guru

http://www.mavsoutsider.com/2014/11/...sacramento-98/

Tyson Chandler
On Dirk moving up the scoring list:

“I can’t say enough about how proud I am of him and the things he’s been able to accomplish. He’s the most humble player. He’s an example for us all and every young player coming up of what hard work and dedication can do and the things you can accomplish in this league. He was a player that was almost [written] off early in his career, and there were a lot of people who thought that he would be able to play in this league. This organization believed in him and a few people around him believed in him. He continued to work and continued to believe in himself. You see where he is now.”

Tyson is pretty great as well.

Last edited by dude1394; 11-12-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:32 AM   #4166
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Just went through the Hakeem vs. Dirk thread on clutchfans... some posts over there are beyond ridiculous. Acting like Dirk is just an overhyped foreign prospect, just some lucky guy who never faced double- or triple-teams, never saw any good defense against him. Just utter nonsense. I mean, don't get me wrong. If I compare Dirk and Hakeem, for me it's Hakeem all the way. I might get crucified for it around here, but while they're about equal in their offensive game (Dirk has more range, Hakeem the better post game), Hakeem's defense was just unreal. And that really makes the difference here. Probably the 2nd best defensive C of all time after Russel. Loved watching him play, I honestly admit it.

I have Hakeem in my Top 10 (somewhere around 7-8, he played for Houston and I can't stand Houston, but I have no problem to give credit when credit is due) and Dirk around #13-15. But some people over there act that Dirk isn't even within #30. Dirk defense was about slightly above average in his prime. He was never a defensive stalwart like Hakeem, but he wasn't a huge liability either as some people on clutchfans think. Sure, he is now much slower and sometimes it becomes quite obvious that he has lost a step and has become a weakness on defense.

And some "arguments" over there were like he had Nash... I loved Nash when he was here, but while playing in Dallas he was nowhere close the player he was in Phoenix. So, that's just idiotic to use Nash in that regard. And Kidd... Kidd was 38 years old when Dallas rang in 2011. Still solid, but far away from his prime during his days with New Jersey. Tyson Chandler? As much as I like Tyson as a player and a human (and I'm glad that he's back), I doubt he would have won DPOY in 2012 if Miami had won the title one year earlier. Marion? Same like with Kidd. Solid, but also a clear step below his days when playing with the Suns. Peja? He was an all-star 8-9 years earlier. Please. He retired after winning with Dallas. Terry? Come on, the JET was a solid 2nd and 3rd (these days) option, but without Dirk that team was flat out garbage. Dallas went 2-7 in 2011 without Dirk and lost the first two games after he came back while still trying to find his groove.

On NBA.com there is right now a poll where you can vote who's the NBA's alltime best international player. Duncan would be my first choice, but as he's an American citizen by birth, went to college in the US and represented the US internationally, I have a very hard time considering him as an international player. Hakeem in that regard is slightly different as he was born in Nigeria and didn't move to the US before college. He also got US citizenship in 90's and not earlier. Well, if you see Hakeem as an international player, then it's him. Otherwise, it's Dirk all the way.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #4167
dude1394
Guru

Having "clutch***" in the dirk thread dirties it up. I would suggest removing it.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:42 AM   #4168
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Hakeem is an alltime great but as usual they forgot that his (and their) only championships are sponsored by Jordans Baseball Brainfart
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #4169
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Hakeem is an alltime great but as usual they forgot that his (and their) only championships are sponsored by Jordans Baseball Brainfart
Dirk's career has no such asterisks.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:57 PM   #4170
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstudi View Post
just some lucky guy who never faced double- or triple-teams,

Dirk had a 42-18 game vs. prime Duncan, Bowen and Robinson
Dirk had a 37-15 game vs. prime Duncan, Bowen, Ginobili
Dirk had a 35-15 series against prime Kevin Garnett
Dirk scored 48 points on 15 shots vs. Ibaka, Durant and co.
Dirk scored 40 points vs. Ibaka, Durant and co.
Dirk had a 50-12 game vs. prime Shawn Marion
Dirk had a 29-15 game 6 against Shaq, Morning and co. (unfortunately Jet and Devin choked)
Dirk scored 40 points against Anthony Davis
and so on.

I think that's pretty solid.

Last edited by markus1234; 11-12-2014 at 03:04 PM.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:20 PM   #4171
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

1. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar* 28307
2. Karl Malone* 26210
3. Kobe Bryant 24542
4. Michael Jordan* 24537
5. Elvin Hayes* 24272
6. John Havlicek* 23930
7. Wilt Chamberlain* 23497
8. Julius Erving* 23370
9. Dominique Wilkins* 21589
10. Rick Barry* 21283
11. Alex English* 21036
12. Hakeem Olajuwon* 20991
13. Dan Issel* 20904
14. Kevin Garnett 20771
15. Moses Malone* 20750
16. George Gervin* 20583
17. Elgin Baylor* 20171
18. Allen Iverson 19906
19. Dirk Nowitzki 19867

Dirk just past Hakeem the dream while taking 1,124 fewer shots
Old 11-12-2014, 03:20 PM   #4172
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

1. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar* 28307
2. Karl Malone* 26210
3. Kobe Bryant 24542
4. Michael Jordan* 24537
5. Elvin Hayes* 24272
6. John Havlicek* 23930
7. Wilt Chamberlain* 23497
8. Julius Erving* 23370
9. Dominique Wilkins* 21589
10. Rick Barry* 21283
11. Alex English* 21036
12. Hakeem Olajuwon* 20991 -1,124
13. Dan Issel* 20904
14. Kevin Garnett 20771
15. Moses Malone* 20750
16. George Gervin* 20583
17. Elgin Baylor* 20171
18. Allen Iverson 19906
19. Dirk Nowitzki 19867

Dirk just past Hakeem the dream while taking 1,124 fewer shots

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-12-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:30 PM   #4173
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
... and 14th in misses.
Kobe is No. 1 in that department, right?

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:36 PM   #4174
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelli View Post
Kobe is No. 1 in that department, right?
Correct. He's currently at 13,421. Havlicek is now #2 at 13,417 and Kobe is still going.

At the current pace Kobe will probably end up with upwards of 15,713 misses-- beating the old record set by Havlicek in 1978 by almost 2,300 misses.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:26 PM   #4175
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thukydides View Post
awesome stuff: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/th...we-chose-them/

"Look. At. That. Red. Everywhere" :-)
I missed this story - thanks for posting.

Quote:
With one minor exception (gotta work on that left wing 3, Dirk), Nowitzki outshoots league averages by a wide margin everywhere on the court. The same cannot be said for Curry or Durant. Nowitzki integrates volume, efficiency, and ubiquity better than anyone right now.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:51 PM   #4176
dude1394
Guru

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-...bcs&ocid=yahoo
"
The Sixers return to action on Thursday when they take on the Mavericks in Dallas.
Waiting for them is a Mavs squad that is sitting at 5-3 and led by a superstar that continues to reach more career milestones. Dirk Nowitzki scored 23 points in the Mavs’ win over the Sacramento Kings on Tuesday night to pass Hakeem Olajuwon for ninth place on the NBA’s all-time scoring list and become the league’s highest-scoring player born outside born outside of the United States.

Nowitzki now has 26,953 career points. He is averaging 20.8 points per game so far this season.
When Sixers head coach Brett Brown was an assistant with San Antonio, part of his job was to scout the Mavericks when the Spurs were getting ready to play them.
Nowitzki has such a unique set of skills, Brown felt his homework sometimes became irrelevant because the 7-footer was unstoppable.

"I look back at my days battling through Dallas. First there was Kobe (Bryant). How do you guard that? Dirk came in at 7-foot, and you couldn't guard him in pick-and-roll. If you switched, (Don Nelson) Nellie used to roll him right to the nail and he would do this with Tony Parker on him,” Brown said with his arm stretched high in the air to demonstrate.
"With his height and his ability to shoot, he is such a lethal scorer. What he has done over his career for a man of his size and his ability to shoot, he was borderline impossible to guard. He made everyone around him better. He created so much attention.”

For his career, Nowitzki has averaged 22.5 points a night while shooting 47.7 percent from the field and 38.3 percent from behind the arc. Now in his 17th season, he has averaged 8.1 rebounds and 6.2 free throw attempts a game.
Given the youth on the Sixers' roster, any appreciation players have for the 36-year-old comes from watching highlights of Nowitzki over the years on TV.

"He has a different play style, nothing like mine," Nerlens Noel said. "I respect his Euro-style play that he brought to America. He is a great player, and he will be in the Hall of Fame soon."
Michael Carter-Williams' admiration for the 7-foot sharpshooter was similar to Noel's.
"Dirk is unbelievable," Carter-Williams said. "I have been watching him since I was a little kid. He has been unbelievable for Dallas with what he has done. He won a championship for them. He is a unique player who does a lot of good things on the court. He brought to the game something no one else has with his shot at his size."
Old 11-13-2014, 07:06 AM   #4177
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

great article find dude.

Nice to see the younger guys in the league acknowledge the greatness of Dirk.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:07 AM   #4178
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

-dp-

Last edited by dirt_dobber; 11-13-2014 at 07:10 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #4179
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
I remember losing it when Holger was shown teary eyed in the stands after Game 6 of the finals.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:33 PM   #4180
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Efficiency, Consistency, Durability, Dominance, Creativity, Loyalty, Intelligence, Hard Work

What else?

Last edited by twelli; 11-17-2014 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:11 PM   #4181
dude1394
Guru

Quote:

Efficiency, Consistency, Durability, Dominance, Creativity, Loyalty, Intelligence, Hard Work

What else?
Great singing voice, sax, guitar and drum player.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:31 PM   #4182
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

I found my old Championship stuff, Videos, pictures and stored it at mega. You can download if you like.

https://mega.co.nz/#!XZdSnQxY!fYRaYI...GCydx6PSLvcblE

Mods can move the post to a section that fits better.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:08 AM   #4183
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Good stuff about Dirk in this article. It's from Grantland, so you know it's quality. Grantland rules.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/de...ve-of-success/
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:48 PM   #4184
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

http://dimemag.com/2014/11/video-dir...ch-3-mavs-win/
Quote:
With a shade under eight minutes to play in last night’s Wizards-Mavericks game at the Verizon Center in DC, Bradley Beal — in his first game of the season, after returning from injury — knocked down another three-pointer to give the Wizards an 85-84 advantage. At the same time, Dirk Nowitzki rolled his ankle on the back of Kris Humphries‘ foot. Dirk would leave, but the all-time leader in points scored by a foreign-born player would return and show why he’s a champion and future Hall of Famer.

Here’s the nasty ankle sprain as Dirk came into the paint to try and get a board on the Beal three-pointer. You can see he inadvertently steps on the back of Humphries’ foot and twists his ankle. He would leave the court hobbling and almost knock over an usher.

We can remember the days when people said Dirk was soft because he preferred to arc three-pointers at the hoop rather than bang down low like other power forwards of his size. But there aren’t many players tougher and Dirk would have his left ankle re-taped and return to the court four minutes later. After he re-entered, he didn’t shy away from the big shots, either.

Up 99-97 with 1:20 left, but with the Wizards lying in wait to steal the game at home, Nene showed hard on Dirk’s high screen for J.J. Barea — momentarily leaving Dirk open when he popped to Barea’s right. Barea smartly bounced it to Dirk, who turned to nail the three-point knife into the Wiz by putting Dallas up five with a little over one minute remaining.

Yes, Monta Ellis dropped 34 points (10/21) to help the Mavs overcome Bradley Beal’s 21 off the bench…and Tyson Chandler had 16 rebounds and three blocks. Plus, Brandan Wright climbed the ladder for two of his 14 points. But it was Nowitzki, their leader, and his return from the twisted ankle, who led this team to the 105-102 road win.

Last night was a long cry from those days when the majority of NBA people thought Dirk was too soft — which is what most analysts thought about European imports — to be an NBA champion. After grabbing his MVP in 2007 and his Larry O’Brien trophy and Bill Russell NBA Finals MVP award in 2011, Dirk silenced those often unfair critiques. Now — in his 17th NBA season — he’s just reiterating why he’s one of the greatest players of all time.
"soft"..."choker"....

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:37 PM   #4185
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Saw this on insidehoops.. Excuse the mention of other players, used for comparison:

4th quarter scoring leader during the Playoffs since 1997 (1997 is the earliest these stats are available)
*Minimum 10 games

MJ: 9.6 ppg on 49/18/84

MJ: 9.0 ppg on 45/14/81

Sprewell: 6.1 ppg on 42/43/84 (6 players ahead played under 10 games)

Shaq: 9.0 ppg on 67/0/49 (Payton #1 - 5 games)

Kobe: 8.0 ppg on 49/39/82

Kobe: 8.1 ppg on 49/50/79

Kobe: 9.6 ppg on 45/37/88

KG: 6.7 ppg on 47/33/71 (Boykins #1 - 5 games, Marbury #2 - 4 games)

Amare: 8.6 ppg on 61/0/77

Lebron: 9.8 ppg on 44/31//71 (Arenas #1 - 5 games)

Lebron: 8.6 ppg on 46/36/73 (Bosh #1 - 5 games)

Kobe: 9.2 ppg on 47/45/82

Lebron: 8.8 ppg on 46/19/76

Lebron: 8.6 ppg on 53/45/67 (Wade #1 - 5 games)

Dirk: 9.9 ppg on 51/53/94

Durant: 8.3 ppg on 54/43/81

N. Robinson: 7.5 ppg on 54/35/85
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:49 AM   #4186
Jproxursoxoff

Jproxursoxoff is a splendid one to beholdJproxursoxoff is a splendid one to beholdJproxursoxoff is a splendid one to beholdJproxursoxoff is a splendid one to beholdJproxursoxoff is a splendid one to beholdJproxursoxoff is a splendid one to beholdJproxursoxoff is a splendid one to beholdJproxursoxoff is a splendid one to beholdJproxursoxoff is a splendid one to beholdJproxursoxoff is a splendid one to beholdJproxursoxoff is a splendid one to behold

Wow. Nice post, Fluid. Arguably the greatest 4thQ playoff performance ever. And easily the best "We're not losing" individual performance Ive ever seen.
Jproxursoxoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:34 AM   #4187
dude1394
Guru

Damn straight he's great! That is some awesome, awesome stuff. And as I recall he wasn't just jacking up shots either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
Saw this on insidehoops.. Excuse the mention of other players, used for comparison:

4th quarter scoring leader during the Playoffs since 1997 (1997 is the earliest these stats are available)
*Minimum 10 games

MJ: 9.6 ppg on 49/18/84

MJ: 9.0 ppg on 45/14/81

Sprewell: 6.1 ppg on 42/43/84 (6 players ahead played under 10 games)

Shaq: 9.0 ppg on 67/0/49 (Payton #1 - 5 games)

Kobe: 8.0 ppg on 49/39/82

Kobe: 8.1 ppg on 49/50/79

Kobe: 9.6 ppg on 45/37/88

KG: 6.7 ppg on 47/33/71 (Boykins #1 - 5 games, Marbury #2 - 4 games)

Amare: 8.6 ppg on 61/0/77

Lebron: 9.8 ppg on 44/31//71 (Arenas #1 - 5 games)

Lebron: 8.6 ppg on 46/36/73 (Bosh #1 - 5 games)

Kobe: 9.2 ppg on 47/45/82

Lebron: 8.8 ppg on 46/19/76

Lebron: 8.6 ppg on 53/45/67 (Wade #1 - 5 games)

Dirk: 9.9 ppg on 51/53/94

Durant: 8.3 ppg on 54/43/81

N. Robinson: 7.5 ppg on 54/35/85
Old 11-21-2014, 10:04 AM   #4188
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk is not only a tremendous 4th quarter player..but he has stepped up his game in the playoffs throughout his career. Probably the only playoff performers that can match what Dirk has done the past 20 years or so would be Jordan, maybe Shaq, and Lebron. Not only that, in elimination games, Dirk usually steps it up another notch.

If you ever get bored, start comparing playoff numbers for some of the greats of the game. Dirk's numbers truly are nothing short of astounding.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:33 PM   #4189
twelli
Diamond Member

MJ sucked on 3-pointers it seems.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:18 PM   #4190
Jproxursoxoff

Jproxursoxoff is a splendid one to beholdJproxursoxoff is a splendid one to beholdJproxursoxoff is a splendid one to beholdJproxursoxoff is a splendid one to beholdJproxursoxoff is a splendid one to beholdJproxursoxoff is a splendid one to beholdJproxursoxoff is a splendid one to beholdJproxursoxoff is a splendid one to beholdJproxursoxoff is a splendid one to beholdJproxursoxoff is a splendid one to beholdJproxursoxoff is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
MJ sucked on 3-pointers it seems.
He just hardly ever took them. Wasn't his thing. He was good and athletic enough to always shoot a higher percentage shot which is why, among the all-time greats, his career field goal percentage is only rivaled by centers.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:27 PM   #4191
dude1394
Guru

https://m.numberfire.com/nba/news/37...storic-offense

"Dirk Nowitzki is currently hitting an insane 46.9% of his three-pointers, which is a number that most players strive for in terms of just pure field goal percentage. He’s taking just over four of them per game, and the effect of having a 7-footer hit 3-pointers at that rate is just completely devastating to a defense."
Old 11-21-2014, 11:32 PM   #4192
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

"Dirk Nowitzki is currently hitting an insane 46.9% of his three-pointers, which is a number that most players strive for in terms of just pure field goal percentage. He’s taking just over four of them per game, and the effect of having a 7-footer hit 3-pointers at that rate is just completely devastating to a defense."
Dirk is aging like a fine wine...

Old 11-22-2014, 03:30 AM   #4193
twelli
Diamond Member

Quote:

Nice find. Hope they continue to share the ball like they did against the Lakers.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:42 PM   #4194
Jproxursoxoff

Bump because this was on the third page, which is a no-no.

Rajon "Tyson Chandler Parsons" Rondo doesn't happen without Dirk's sacrifice this summer. And all of a sudden Mark Cuban kind of looks likes a genius for what he did a couple years ago.

Last edited by Jproxursoxoff; 12-18-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:55 PM   #4195
Underdog

Posted this in the Rondo thread, but this seems like a better place for it...

@CelticsLife: Worth noting Dirk took a lesser contract to go for another title & Mavs got Parsons/Chandler/Rondo. Kobe went for the $$$ & LAL got Boozer

Old 12-19-2014, 01:15 AM   #4196
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk is now just the 5th highest paid Mav.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:18 AM   #4197
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
Dirk is now just the 5th highest paid Mav.
Lowest-paid starter on the team.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:24 AM   #4198
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jproxursoxoff View Post
Bump because this was on the third page, which is a no-no.

Rajon "Tyson Chandler Parsons" Rondo doesn't happen without Dirk's sacrifice this summer. And all of a sudden Mark Cuban kind of looks likes a genius for what he did a couple years ago.
Good freakin job!!
Old 12-19-2014, 05:27 AM   #4199
Jproxursoxoff

Cuban really did maximize every single dollar that Dirk gave up, in a way I didn't think likely. Much respect goes to Mark for setting up Dirk in his (possibly) final contract. The ball is in Dirk's court now to go out and win.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:46 AM   #4200
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

Seems to me like he's had a bit of an off month. I thought he was surely going to make the All-Star team before, but I am pretty sure he can't now. He's either saving his legs for the playoffs, or well.... starting to look like he's a bit on his last legs.

Hope I am wrong though.
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
<clutch tagging>, 12-15 for 48 points, 3/25m - wow!, clutch nowitzki, clutchwitzki, dir30k, dirk, dirk = clutch...again, dirk goes to 11, dirk is my religion, dirk pwns ur face 4ever!!, dirk tea baggzz nba!!!!!, gay for dirk!!!, his clutchness, his hairness ?, playoff clutch, santa dirk, sir ghost face drillah, top-10 all time scorer, top-6 all time scorer