Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-13-2004, 07:33 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trade With Lakers Has Been Amended

Boston Official Site

Trade Of August 6th With Lakers Has Been Amended

Boston, MA --The Boston Celtics announced today that the August 6th trade with the Los Angeles Lakers, in which the Celtics received Gary Payton, Rick Fox and a conditional first round draft pick in exchange for Chucky Atkins, Chris Mihm, Marcus Banks and a second round draft choice, has been amended. In the amended deal, the Celtics have sent 6’8” forward Jumaine Jones instead of Banks to the Lakers, and no longer includes the Celtics second round draft choice.

Boston still receives Payton, Fox, the conditional first round draft pick and cash considerations.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:05 PM   #2
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Trade With Lakers Has Been Amended

Quote:
Posted on Fri, Aug. 13, 2004

Lakers-Celtics Trade Amended Over Payton

Associated Press

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. - A multiplayer trade between the Los Angeles Lakers and Boston Celtics was amended Friday after Gary Payton refused to report to Boston for a physical by a deadline, the Lakers said.

A Celtics spokesman said Boston had agreed in advance to waive the requirement that Payton undergo a physical exam on Friday.

"The team waived his physical as part of the amended trade," Celtics spokesman Bill Bonsiewicz said. "It (the physical) obviously became moot as part of this deal."

The amended trade will now give Los Angeles 6-foot-8 forward Jumaine Jones instead of guard Marcus Banks, and Boston will no longer be required to give up its second-round draft choice.

Lakers spokesman John Black said the trade had to be amended because it was contingent on all players reporting to their new teams for physicals by Friday afternoon.

"Gary Payton refused to go to Boston and do that," Black said.

Boston waived the Payton contingency, and in consideration the Lakers had to switch terms of the deal, he said.

The Celtics expect Payton to report for training camp Oct. 4, Bonsiewicz said.

The terms of the original Aug. 6 trade called for the Lakers to send Payton, Rick Fox and a conditional first-round draft pick to Boston in exchange for Chucky Atkins, Chris Mihm, Banks and a second-round draft choice.

Poor...poor laker fans.... Payton really stuck it to them!

Edited because for some reason my reading comprehension skills have gone down the toilet this evening.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 08:20 PM   #3
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

The trade looks a lot better for the Celts now. Still better for the Lakers but not an enormously stupid trade like before.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 08:25 PM   #4
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Soooo....if Payton didn't report what does that mean exactly? Is he sitting out the season?

If he's going to play anyway..then why not just report?

What are his intentions in not reporting?

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
Old 08-13-2004, 08:35 PM   #5
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

Thanks gary! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2004, 08:39 PM   #6
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Soooo....if Payton didn't report what does that mean exactly? Is he sitting out the season?

He's just showing his dislike for the trade. He's obviously unhappy but the Celtics expect him to show up when training camp starts. It's much like the situation with NVE when he was traded away from here.

I imagine he's unhappy because he could have opted out of his contract if he knew things were going to shake down like this.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:46 PM   #7
Finley4ever

Finley4ever is on a distinguished road

Lakers fans are really upset about this amendment (as they should be). Look at this thread at Lakerstalk.

Edit: This thread in which they are upset at Payton is also very funny.
Finley4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 09:36 PM   #8
KennyDirk

KennyDirk is on a distinguished road

one thing it does for the lakers, is now take away a legit PG..whos there PG now?
Old 08-13-2004, 09:45 PM   #9
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: KennyDirk
one thing it does for the lakers, is now take away a legit PG..whos there PG now?
That would be the great Chucky Adkins

Talk about a punch in the gut. This is like us doing the Antawn Jamison trade only to find out before the draft that since Jamison didn't report for a physical, we're not getting the pick.

The jury is still out on Ainge as a GM, but he's not as dumb as I thought he was a year ago.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:39 PM   #10
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

This is actually kind of funny. The Lakers messed with GP. He messed back [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

What this boils down to is that the Celtics traded Jumaine Jones for Marcus Banks and a second round pick. I would do that deal.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 11:22 PM   #11
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
Quote:

He's just showing his dislike for the trade. He's obviously unhappy but the Celtics expect him to show up when training camp starts. It's much like the situation with NVE when he was traded away from here.

I imagine he's unhappy because he could have opted out of his contract if he knew things were going to shake down like this.
That's right..I had forgotten that NVE's physical was waived last year.

Well, I can understand why he's hacked at the Lakers....but after all the whining he did in the playoffs, perhaps he shouldn't have considered himself untouchable. Players who choose to either exercise or opt out of optional contract extensions are aware of the risks. From what I've been reading he could show up for the physical as early as Monday. I wonder if there is even an outside chance of any covert collusion going on here between Payton and Ainge??

Old 08-13-2004, 11:45 PM   #12
KennyDirk

KennyDirk is on a distinguished road

I guess GP's point being, if Kobe wants to run the show, might as well run the show all the way. Now with Chucky Atkins at the PG, Kobe's going to have to do a lot as in running the point at times, should be really interesting how this all plays out. Now if i feel i know GP, he will try to have himself waived and go to the Heat and join ol' shaq.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:10 AM   #13
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Lamar Odom should be able to give them a few quality minutes at the point.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:27 AM   #14
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Default RE: Trade With Lakers Has Been Amended

edit
Old 08-14-2004, 07:42 AM   #15
mary
Troll Hunter

Well....now I'm reading that Payton's going to retire.

Text

[/quote]
TRADE AMENDED: He won't report to Boston, so LA gets Jones instead of Banks and a draft pick.

12:20 AM PDT on Saturday, August 14, 2004

By BRODERICK TURNER / The Press-Enterprise

Still irate over being traded from the Lakers to the Celtics, Gary Payton failed to report to Boston on Friday to take his physical, forcing the teams to amend their trade.

The Lakers will get 6-foot-8 forward Jumaine Jones instead of second-year guard Marcus Banks and a second-round pick in next year's draft. The Lakers had acquired Banks and the pick earlier in the month, along with guard Chucky Atkins and 7-footer Chris Mihm, for Payton, Rick Fox and a first-round pick.

Payton, 36, remains the property of Boston. In a phone interview Friday, Payton said he would retire before reporting to Boston.

Terry Pierson / The Press-Enterprise
An upset Gary Payton said he'll retire before playing for Boston. The Lakers "didn't respect me. Why should I respect them?" he said.

"I wasn't going to Boston to take a physical," he said. "I ain't going to move my family no more. I can't take my family to Boston. It ain't no disrespect to Boston."

Payton said he'd prefer to play for Houston, Minnesota or the Clippers.

Payton is due to earn $5.4 million in the last year of his contract. If he doesn't report and isn't traded again, Payton would not get paid.

"I don't care about that," Payton said. "If it goes down, I'll quit. I can go on and do something else."

Payton said had he known the Lakers were going to trade him, he wouldn't have exercised his contract option for next season.

"They used me to sign so they could get other players," Payton said. "Boston is going to lose out on this. They ain't going to get (nothing). It's about respect. They (the Lakers) didn't respect me. Why should I respect them?"

The Celtics said they expected Payton to be in Boston on Monday to take a physical.

With Jones, the Lakers have five small forwards again.

Jones, 25, has averaged 6.9 points and 3.9 rebounds while playing for three teams in five seasons. He shot a career-low 34.4 percent from the field last season, his first in Boston. Limited to 8.9 minutes a game, Jones averaged 2.2 points and 1.6 rebounds.

Reach Broderick Turner at bturner@pe.com.
[/quote]

Its not exactly the same thing that was being reported last night, but that actually makes more senes now. I couldn't quite understand why Payton would void the trade if he still had intentions to play in Boston. I still don't get why he's going to be showing up for the physical on Monday??

Old 08-14-2004, 01:19 PM   #16
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
I still don't get why he's going to be showing up for the physical on Monday??
Possibly so he can begin discussions with Boston about being traded to a team that he would actually like to play for.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 03:32 AM   #17
Shaq Attack2

Shaq Attack2 is on a distinguished road

I'll wait until everything is final (whenever the hell that ends up being) before getting pissed at Payton and/or Kupchak.

However, I still don't understand why this trade needs to be amended. Ainge said that Payton not reporting wouldn't make a difference many days ago. What has changed? And even pretending Ainge never said that, why would Banks need to be sent back if Payton does end up taking his physical tomorrow and ends up reporting to the Celtics this October? Shouldn't the terms of the trade not change at all if Payton reports and passes a physical?

This seems fishy. Will be anxious to see what the hell is going on tomorrow.
Shaq Attack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 09:49 AM   #18
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Finley4ever
Lakers fans are really upset about this amendment (as they should be). Look at this thread at Lakerstalk.

Edit: This thread in which they are upset at Payton is also very funny.
A couple posts on these threads just made my day. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Good to see some anguish in Laker Land. Thanks for the links, F4E!
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 10:11 AM   #19
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: Trade With Lakers Has Been Amended

Danny Ainge treated Mich Kupchak like Kobe Bryant treated his accuser. Better get a swab for that vaginal tearing Mitch!
madape is offline   Reply With Quote