Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-16-2004, 09:35 PM   #1
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about
Default Moneyball Revolution in Basketball

You have to watch a commercial and get a day pass to Salon.com to read it, but this is a must-read article by King Kaufman on the applicability of "Moneyball" theories to saving money in the NBA, something I've mentioned before that has taken on new meaning in this summer of fiscal irresponsibility.

The article starts out "Steve Nash signs a $66 million deal with the Suns that will pay him until he's 36, an age at which point guards not named John Stockton simply don't play well anymore. His replacement in Dallas will be Marquis Daniels, a backup last year as a rookie after going undrafted. Daniels signs a six-year contract worth $38 million.

The list goes on and on. What's going on here? This NBA free-agent season is looking like baseball offseasons used to, with aging, mid-level or unproven players signing long, massive deals. Where is the "Moneyball" revolution in the NBA?"

Moneyball Revolution

Also

For those of you who are not familiar with Kevin Pelton's work you will find tons of analysis covering every aspect of the NBA including player features (Mavs), statistical analysis, player ratings (VORP, WARP), transaction analysis, etc:

PELTON ARCHIVE

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2004, 08:15 AM   #2
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Moneyball Revolution in Basketball

Daniels won´t be Nashs replacement and wasn´t signed as such.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 03:14 PM   #3
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Moneyball Revolution in Basketball

That's nitpicking.

Did you read the Moneyball article?

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 05:18 PM   #4
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Moneyball Revolution in Basketball

i was looking at our salaries on hoopshype. you gotta think that howard is pissed that he's making so much less than daniels...
Old 08-17-2004, 05:24 PM   #5
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Moneyball Revolution in Basketball

Well since they live together (at least they did last year)... i would be pissed when i came time to pay rent. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote