Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-29-2002, 01:17 PM   #1
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

The worlds kicked off a few hours ago with Yugoslavia - Angola, and Brazil - Lebanon.
Yugoslavia crushed Angola 113 - 63 while using all 12 players. No one on the yugoslavian team played more than 24 mins (Jaric). Stojakovic was topscorer with 15 pts in 20 mins. Divac had 7 rebounds and 9 points. Bodiroga scored 12 points in 15 mins on perfect shooting (4-4 fg, 4-4 ft).
In the other game Brazil beat the Lebanon 102 - 73.
You can find summaries and boxscores of all games on fiba.com.

Let´s go Germany !!!
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2002, 01:31 PM   #2
Dirk77
Banned

Dirk77 is on a distinguished road

Lebannon has lost a lot of luster lately.
Dirk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 02:05 PM   #3
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

Is Hilario playing or not?

Last I heard, he was injured.
Old 08-29-2002, 02:06 PM   #4
Dirk77
Banned

yea, he's injured and not playing.
Old 08-29-2002, 05:03 PM   #5
Novice#41
Golden Member

Novice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to behold

poor canada !
Novice#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 05:18 PM   #6
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Watch out for the matchup Femerling - Ming! might be fun to watch ... Patrick is very tricky and clever ...
Old 08-29-2002, 06:44 PM   #7
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Germany - China, 72 - 48 after the 3rd. Dirk with 30 pts. Garris with a very strong game.
Old 08-29-2002, 06:49 PM   #8
Fidel
Diamond Member

I´m not at all impressed with Yao. He parks the zone, has slow feet, and lacks mindspeed IMO. It´s pretty easy to deny him the ball if you play him agressive. He has a nice touch though and changes some shots.
Old 08-29-2002, 06:50 PM   #9
Fidel
Diamond Member

Mikagbatse with the HUGE 3 !!!

And with the dunk over Yao !!!
Old 08-29-2002, 06:54 PM   #10
Dirk77
Banned

what's the score Fidel?

Dirk must be playing well, no?
Has he been one on one w/ Yao at all?
Old 08-29-2002, 07:01 PM   #11
Fidel
Diamond Member

85 - 68 for Germany with 2 mins to go. Dirk played ok. Settled for the jumper a little bit too much IMO, still got 30 points. Germany let go in the 4th and played everyone from the roster.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:04 PM   #12
Dirk77
Banned

China actually has played better then usually, considering they are 10-20 in three's, they aren't usually going to do that, lol.

that poll at FIBA is a joke, more people voted that Peja would lead the WC in scoring ppg then Dirk. Well, Dirk' better, and now it is....oh 30-13.
dirk-peja
Old 08-29-2002, 07:05 PM   #13
Fidel
Diamond Member

Final score 88 - 76 for Germany.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:08 PM   #14
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Dirk had 22 out of 43 german points at half, and though struggling with his shot in the first he was dominant soon ... Germany pulled away 72-48 in the third, Dirk didn´t play much nor score afterwards, and with Germany´s 2nd squad on the floor in trash time it continued to a 88-76 win.

About Ming: no inside game, nice turnaround jumper and good touch, he´s not that slow fidel might have mentioned, actually he has a pretty good footwork for his size, but he´s not fast mentally (I go with you there, Fidel). With good coaching Ming could be a factor in the NBA, but he´s not a first overall pick to me (but well, someone took da Kandi-Man ...). He severely lacks experience and competition.

Best chinese was Mengke Bateer, who really banged hard and got some nice baskets and actions.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:08 PM   #15
Dirk77
Banned

I don't like that, Germany crushed china, now the final score makes it look closer then it really was.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:10 PM   #16
mavsman

mavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to behold

The best moment of the game was when Yao Ming got blocked two times by Arigbabu and Dirk within 30 seconds. Dirk shot 59% from the field and 100% (9/9) from the line. Not a bad start at all. Mikagbatse and Nino rocked.
mavsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 07:14 PM   #17
mavsman

mavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to behold

So New Zealand just beat Russia 90:81. Apparently Kirilenko managed to foul out within 15 minutes of playing time. What's russian for "pulling a Raef"?
mavsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 07:16 PM   #18
Fidel
Diamond Member

SJ,
I agree with you on Bateer. Ming seemed to be pretty slow a couple times. Maybe it´s just a problem of lacking mindspeed, but to me it seemed like he didn´t have the quickest feet. He has ok footwork though when it comes to specific moves where he knows what he´s going to do. But if he had to react to something (double team on offense, pentration on D) he didn´t seem to be very mobile. He also had problems when trying to hold his position on offense. I agree on the tournaround and the shooting touch in general.

And like I said before, he should not have been the Nr.1 pick.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:20 PM   #19
Dirk77
Banned

Sean Marks is balling for New Zealand. With Germany's win tonight, they have secured that Germany and the US will advance, and China and Algeria won't. Unless Germany losses to the US AND Algeria, lol
Old 08-29-2002, 07:23 PM   #20
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

Well, I think his "slowness" results from not really knowing what do to, where to move, how to react. Dirk just does something, and it looks kinda smooth, natural ... Ming is good when he knows what he´s doing, in set plays orwhen he knows how to move around his opponent.

Gasol looks far more promising (even Gasol one year ago)
Old 08-29-2002, 07:27 PM   #21
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

Of all those guys in this years draft I´d pick Tskitishvili, Dunleavy and this guy going to Miami (this one with a question mark) as those with maybe the best shot on a very impressive NBA career... not too sure about Jay Williams (will see him tomorrow), but Ming isnt the greatest talent of this years rooks. And he is - for sure - not the guy who can defend Shaq. He got pushed around by Femerling at times ...
Old 08-29-2002, 07:27 PM   #22
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Will someone please point to a site that gives the boxscores of the World Championship games?

Oh and the ones who saw Dirk play: how was his passing and his defense? (After all that is what he needed to work on this summer.)

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 07:28 PM   #23
Fidel
Diamond Member

<< Ming is good when he knows what he´s doing, in set plays orwhen he knows how to move around his opponent. >>

That´s what I said SJ. Maybe he can learn the rest maybe not.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:40 PM   #24
breal

breal is on a distinguished road

you know when the experts say he has all the tools to be great, and what he lacks can easily be taught...well, I think that is exactly why he was the #1 pick. From the U.S. game alone, I think Ming proved he was worthy of #1 status. Afterall, who else in this class could have altered the U.S. offense the way Ming did (i.e., blocking 6 shots and changing a host of others), while forcing double-teams and displaying a fluid and easy scoring ability? He will be inconsistent for a while, but the Rockets are betting that, in time, he will be well worth the #1 pick.
breal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 07:41 PM   #25
Fidel
Diamond Member

Bayliss go here for results and boxscores.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:47 PM   #26
Fidel
Diamond Member

Breal, this is international play, so Ming can park the zone. We´ll see what he can do in the NBA. I think he will average something like 15 pts, 8 rbs and 3 blks when he peaks, at best. That´s ok but that isn´t NR. 1 material. It would really surprise me if he becomes a 20 - 10 guy.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:55 PM   #27
Fidel
Diamond Member

Starting for the US: Miller, Pierce, Marion, Brand, O´Neal. Think they can beat basketball superpower Algeria??
Old 08-29-2002, 08:16 PM   #28
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

<< Breal, this is international play, so Ming can park the zone. We´ll see what he can do in the NBA. I think he will average something like 15 pts, 8 rbs and 3 blks when he peaks, at best. That´s ok but that isn´t NR. 1 material. It would really surprise me if he becomes a 20 - 10 guy. >>

i think he'll do better than 8 rebounds a game. at 7'5&quot;, if bradley has shown us nothing else, he's shown he can grab a decent amount of boards given the time. i think ming turns into an 17pt, 11 rebound, 3 block player. thats worth a number 1 in my opinion.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 09:22 PM   #29
pepperfletch

pepperfletch is on a distinguished road

It is sad that the best China player (WANG) could not play. China would be a MUCH better team with him.

pepperfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 10:30 PM   #30
KEVIN_NY

KEVIN_NY is on a distinguished road

Hi all, Congrats on the Germany's win over China. Dirk as usual showed he is a great player.

But I don't understand the comment of Ming's slow &quot;mindspeed&quot;? What the heck is that? a new measuring criteria of judging a young player? I understand he lacks experience, strength, etc. But &quot;mindspeed&quot;? When Dirk played not so magnificent four years ago in NBA and often seemed lost, would that also give us an impression of his slow &quot;MINDSPEED&quot;? So I guess mindspeed can be improved, isn't it? or is it just some thing very hard for amateurs like us to figure out from one game?

By the way, from the comments from the USA team members after that China-USA games, I got the impression that Ming is very well worth the #1 pick. #2 Jay Williams said &quot;he blew my expection away&quot;, Paul Pierce said &quot;He is the real deal&quot;, etc. George Karl talked about Ming and Wilt in one paragraph! It's not in one sentence [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] but still, one paragraph from a veteran coach, it's pretty impressive.
KEVIN_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 10:54 PM   #31
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Karl might have mentioned wilt and yao in the same sentence, but it was probably something like &quot;yao would never be able to hold wilt's jock.&quot;

Seriously though, on Tuesday's PTI, he said he would not have taken Yao #1. Said he'll be decent, but not #1 special.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 10:56 PM   #32
KEVIN_NY

KEVIN_NY is on a distinguished road

Link, please.

Not I don't trust you, I just never heard it myself. It would be interesting to hear he said something contrary to most NBA scouts /GMs opinions.
KEVIN_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 11:13 PM   #33
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

like I said, it was on PTI with Wilbon and Kornheiser on Tuesday during the 5 minutes with___ section. They interviewed Karl and asked him if he would have taken him #1 overall. He said no. I'll try and find a transcript of the show.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 11:20 PM   #34
DTL
Diamond Member

DTL is on a distinguished road

good to see the kid in action again. it's been a long summer.
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 11:59 PM   #35
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I'd kill to have that Jersey!
Old 08-30-2002, 04:41 AM   #36
Fidel
Diamond Member

Surprise, surprise! The US killed Algeria 110 - 60. Fiba should definitly reconsider. One team from africa is enough. No one wants to see Angola, Algeria and the likes get humihilated each and every game. If an african team actually wins something, they can bring on a second team, just like it is in soccer. Right know one team from africa is enough, the other one just steals a spot for a european team.
Old 08-30-2002, 05:28 AM   #37
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

Well, considering the &quot;slow mindspeed&quot; -&gt; Ming is playing with this team for at least two years at international tourneys, how can he lack plan? Sure, some of this &quot;got lost&quot; feeling will go away, but he´s got alot to learn about this ...

About &quot;he made the US change their game plan&quot;. Uhm well, sure he´s a great inside blocker vs. penetrating Pointies. He had one vs. Germany aswell. But such is Bradley. That´s not worth a 1st overall imho. Ming didn´t show any inside toughness - the fact that Ben Wallace and Antonio Davis were able to defend him successfully (as well as Femerling) adds to that.

There´s some media hype on him, sure, and players on a US national team are the last to deny him talent in interviews, but still ... from what i´ve seen he´s 2-3 years from beeing a factor, and he will never get close to top 5, likely not top 10 in the league imho.

Old 08-30-2002, 05:34 AM   #38
pepperfletch

pepperfletch is on a distinguished road

Seelanjaeger, you mention the play of Femerling of Germany. I have been asking the group about his NBA staus. Do you or anyone out there have any idea? He seems to have the game to play in NBA?

pepperfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 06:20 AM   #39
Fidel
Diamond Member

<< Yao disappointing as Nowitzki scores 30

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- Dirk Nowitzki scored 30 points to lead Germany to an 88-76 victory Thursday over China -- victimized by a poor performance from Yao Ming -- on the opening day of the World Championships.

Nowitzki, who led the Dallas Mavericks to the Western Conference semifinals, scored all his points in the first three quarters, went 10-for-18 from the field and helped Germany build a 24-point lead.

''I was trying to be aggressive on offense. That's the best part of my game,'' he said. ''They did a good job of finding me and I found my shot early. That was important to find my rhythm early.''

Yao, the No. 1 choice in the NBA draft by the Houston Rockets, was whistled for two fouls in the first two minutes and was immediately benched. The 7-foot-5 Yao returned with 5:30 left in the second period, but was never a factor.

Yao scored 16 points, 10 in the second half when the game was already out of reach.

Yao was unavailable for comment, but coach Wang Fei was disappointed with the early foul trouble.

''He has to pay attention to his fouls,'' he said. ''He's never played in the NBA. He's never practiced in the NBA. He has to work harder. He has to play defense to have a chance.''

The fans clearly came to see Yao, waving the Chinese flag and giving him a boisterous ovation each time his name was mentioned.

One of Yao's shots was blocked by Germany's Stephen Arigbabu midway through the fourth quarter. The ball went out of bounds, Yao got the ball in the low post and it was swatted away again, this time by Nowitzki.

Mengke Bateer led China with 23 points, Hu Weidong had 14 and Lin Nan 13.

Next up for Germany is the U.S. national team Friday. Nowitzki scored 23 points in an exhibition defeat Sunday. The Germans came within six points of the U.S. team with two minutes left, but the Americans won 91-73.

''We've got to step our games up if we want to beat them this time,'' he said. ''But we got what we wanted today.''

China never found its shot after the first quarter, making only 31 percent in the second quarter. Germany scored the final nine points for a 45-31 halftime lead.

Nowitzki gave the Germans their first double-digit lead when he converted a steal into a layup. He had 13 points in the second half, sinking one long jumper after another.

Stefano Garris had 16 points for Germany.
Neither China nor Germany has never won a World Championships medal.
>>

You can find this article here.
Old 08-30-2002, 06:31 AM   #40
Fidel
Diamond Member

Another one with some interesting quotes. Here´s the link.

<< World gaining on U.S., but gulf still plenty wide

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Chad Ford
ESPN.com

INDIANAPOLIS -- How boring did Team USA's 110-60 rout of Algeria actually get Thursday? At one point fans began jeering Team USA head coach George Karl because of his hideous salmon colored pants.

&quot;Change your pants! Change your pants!&quot; the crowd chanted as time wound down.

After the game, the team was generally happy with their performance, but Ben Wallace did have a few harsh words for his coach.

&quot;We brought our game, but coach's pants ... that was embarrassing,&quot; Wallace deadpanned. &quot;I definitely hope Coach Karl will bring his real game next time and wear something better.&quot;

The U.S. brought its game and more at Algeria. Poor Algeria.

After all these years, the team qualified for its first berth ever at the World Championships only to be quickly taken to the woodshed by Team USA.

The world may be catching up the United States, but on Day One of the World Basketball Championships, the Americans showed that divide is still pretty wide.

How wide? The game was interesting for exactly 4 minutes, 8 seconds.

By the 5:52 mark of the first quarter, Elton Brand had almost single-handedly dismantled Algeria, building up a 13-0 lead. That's when the murmurs began. If Brand can outscore the Algerians 11-0 by himself, what happens when the rest of Team USA shows up? Alas, Algeria scored a basket on a free throw and any chance of a skunk, or an interesting game, flew out the window. The final score actually had the Algerians cheering.

''We were weak on defense, but for this young team it was a good thing to score 60 points against the U.S.,'' coach Billal Faid said.

The U.S. team was typically dominant inside, outscoring Algeria 60-10 in the paint. Algeria's only success came from well beyond the 3-point arc, exposing what could be the United States' one Achilles' heel -- 3-point shooting.

Michael Finley knocked down five 3's for the Americans and Paul Pierce hit four of his attempts, but overall the team was just 12-for-33 from behind the line. Yugoslavia, in comparison, hit 69 percent of its 3-point attempts versus Angola.

Team USA center Ben Wallace didn't seemed concerned. &quot;Who needs to shoot 3's when you can dominate in the paint? That's our edge and we're going to take advantage of it.&quot;

The joking and requisite swagger will likely stop tomorrow when Team USA faces a German squad that took apart Yao Ming and China 88-76.

Yao's official debut at the Worlds' was just so-so. He scored 16 points and grabbed five boards in just 17 minutes, but spent too much of the game on the bench in foul trouble.

Amazingly, China's shaky backcourt rarely fed the ball to Yao in the post when he asked for it. Yao, who was guarded by Germany's 7-footer Patrick Femerling, managed to get great position in the paint. China's guards however, often ignored him, instead launching desperation 3-pointers as the shot clock wound down. No wonder Yao wants out of China.

Nowitzki, however, had no problems getting his hands on the ball, going off for 30 points, eight rebounds and one sweet block of a Yao shot.

After the game, one NBA exec declared that if you stacked up Nowitzki side by side next to a young Larry Bird, Nowitzki is the better player. &quot;He has all the fundamentals that Larry did, plus he is so much more athletic. And he does it all in a 7-foot body. But the best thing about him is his confidence. Every time he shoots the ball, he believes it's going in.&quot;

After the game, Nowitzki was confident that his team could play with the United States. &quot;We'll be ready,&quot; he said. &quot;We have nothing to lose. If we shoot the ball well and play defense we have a shot.&quot;

Germany isn't the only team that thinks it has a shot at knocking off the Americans.

Vlade Divac wasn't as coy as Nowitzki on his country's chances after Yugoslavia dismantled Angola 113-63. When asked whether he thought Yugoslavia could defeat the United States, Divac said he knew they could. &quot;That's why I'm here, to be part of history.&quot;

Pierce didn't take any offense: &quot;They're supposed to feel that way. No question they're a talented team. That's why we play the game.&quot;

Wallace wasn't so nice.

&quot;That's just Vlade shooting his mouth off again,&quot; Wallace said. &quot;Let's just play and see what happens when we meet. You better have a nice seat for that game. We've got a thing or two to prove, too.&quot;

Wallace however, still isn't that impressed with the competition.

&quot;International teams are starting to get better,&quot; he said. &quot;I don't want to say catching up, because they're still not close. But they're getting better. But we're the best.&quot;
>>