Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default General playoff race thread

Standing 01/24/13

#6 25-18 Nuggets
#7 22-19 Jazz
#8 22-21 Rockets
--------------------
#9 Blazers 20-21
#10 Wolves 17-21
#11 Mavs 18-24
#12 Lakers 17-24

Streaks:
Mavs 5-1 (with OT loss to Thunder)
Rockets 1-7
Blazers 0-6
Wolves 1-6
Lakers 2-9

Looking good. Nuggets (had a really though first half of the season schedule) should be a playoff lock. Jazz getting better. Everyone else looks like trash.

Wolves and Blazers should be out of the race soon (Wolves with the injury bug and Blazers have no bench what so ever). Rockets are young and overrated and Lakers are a mess. Dwight just left the game with problems on his injuried shoulder.

Last edited by sefant77; 01-24-2013 at 10:04 AM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #2
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Rockets and Lakers getting trashed by Nuggets and Grizzlies, Wolves losing and later Blazers vs Pacers

Streaks:
Rockets 1-8
Wolves 1-7
Lakers 2-10
Old 01-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
pepe

pepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to all

A nice streak here and there and play 500 ball in the remaining games and is very likely they make the playoffs.
pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:34 PM   #4
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

At the least I'm hoping for a 41-41. But I think 43-39 is attainable
Old 01-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

I fear we won't make it. There is only one playoff spot left IMO. And too many competitors...
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

If Utah continues to play that well only the 8th spot will be up for grabs. I like that we're one ahead of the Lakers in the loss column. Would be huge to maintain that.

Despite their current ranking I don't really think Portland and Minnesota are competing for a playoff spot.

Last edited by j0Shi; 01-24-2013 at 09:55 AM.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Opponents' Strengths of Schedules in the West, with the last few playoff-spot contenders net remaining home vs. away games.
Doesn't look like Utah will trail off. I'd say they're more likely to move up than move down.

Spurs: 50%
Thunder: 51%
Clippers: 49%
Grizzlies: 48%
Warriors: 49%
Nuggets: 50% (+6 road games)
Jazz: 52% (+6 home games)
Rockets: 50% (even home/road split)
---
Trail Blazers: 54% (+2 away games)
Wolves: 51% (+3 home games)
Mavs: 52% (+4 home games)
Lakers: 50% (+2 home games)
Kings: 53%
Hornets: 49%
Suns: 52%

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.

Last edited by nowhereman; 01-24-2013 at 12:09 PM.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
The Ghost of Championship
Banned

The Ghost of Championship is infamous around these partsThe Ghost of Championship is infamous around these partsThe Ghost of Championship is infamous around these partsThe Ghost of Championship is infamous around these partsThe Ghost of Championship is infamous around these partsThe Ghost of Championship is infamous around these partsThe Ghost of Championship is infamous around these partsThe Ghost of Championship is infamous around these partsThe Ghost of Championship is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
If Utah continues to play that well only the 8th spot will be up for grabs. I like that we're one ahead of the Lakers in the loss column. Would be huge to maintain that.

Despite their current ranking I don't really think Portland and Minnesota are competing for a playoff spot.
Wolves are done. Pek is chronically injuried, Love done for at least 8 more weeks, Rubio looks like trash with shooting that makes Dom look like a league leading shooter, Brandon Roy 4tehlulz2yearshahah....yeah, Mavs beat out Minnesota no doubt in my mind.

Last edited by The Ghost of Championship; 01-24-2013 at 06:48 PM.
The Ghost of Championship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #9
sefant77
Guru

24-29

Next seven games:
@New Orleans
Lakers
Milwaukee
@Memphis (b2b)
@BKN
@Houston
Houston

Though but if we want to make the playoffs we need to go 2-0 against the Rockets and at least 5-2 overall. Lakers win at home kind of a must win too.

Then we are 29-31 with the Rockets standing at 28 losses minimum.

Useless Thunder losing against the Rockets

Last edited by sefant77; 02-20-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:07 AM   #10
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Celtics arent helping at the moment.

Its looking like a too little too late at the end of the season. I expect a valiant effort fighting for the 8th seed, but just come up short.

Too many competitors.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #11
ReDirkulous Tyme

ReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to behold

really all depends on the Lakers. I'm confident we'll pass both the rockets and trail blazers....but the lakers are a wild card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Things in the mirror are closer than they appear.
ReDirkulous Tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #12
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

Playoffs then get smashed by the spurs?
We need a new GM. It's painfully clear Donnie either has no vision or the nuts to tell Jerry Jones I mean Cuban to piss off. Either way playing for the chance to get smashed by the spurs is idiotic.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #13
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Yea dude, grow a pair of bawls and tell Cuban to piss off! Trying to win games and stuff is idiotic.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #14
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunate opinion ATM; Dirk is not good enough for us to do anything in the playoffs. I said before that it's not his fault we are in the situation we are in now, but by seasons end his part in the failure (if we miss playoffs) will have grown to the point that he can have a sizable share in it. His offensive moves are so limited right now, he doesn't even try half his arsenal. Defensively it's catastrophic.

I hold out hope that he is trending up but still going to have a few clunkers in the mix. I'm surprised that he had such a bad all around game last night after a nice long rest over the All star break.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #15
Dirk's Knee

Dirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to behold

I hate to say it but I think Dirk is done. Or perhaps I should say the 2010-11 Dirk is done. He's still an offensive weapon which will likely still play a handful of amazing games, buts its very obvious that either physically he just doesn't feel comfortable or mentally he's lost his edge. Our best scorer this year has been (and will likely continue to be) OJ Mayo. Cuban got his wish regarding Dirk being the 2nd best player on the team. I really hope I'm wrong, but I've seen enough of Dirk this year that I just can't see him suddenly turning a corner.

The Mavs might squeak into the 8th spot, but no confidence from me of any kind of run with the current roster. 1st round sweep if they make it. Fingers crossed for an OKC match up as we at least seem to play competitive against them...
Dirk's Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:29 PM   #16
ReDirkulous Tyme

ReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to behold

those of you who think Dirk is done, even done being as dominant as he was during our championship run, are obviously mentally unstable and/or have never seen/dealt with/researched knee injuries or surgerys as well. I'm guessing you all think that Derrick Rose will never be the player he one was as well, and that he might as well retire since his career is over. YOU PEOPLE ARE FUCKING MORONS!!!

It takes a LONG time to come back from a knee injury, and even moreso when you didn't have a training camp. Add this to the fact that the only players he has ever played with in this lineup are Carter and Marion, neither of which particularly play a lot of 2man game with Dirk. It isn't a physical issue at this point with Dirk, its mental. He simply needs more time to get the confidence in his knee to start making the moves he did during his playoff run. He also knows he doesn't have this confidence, and doesn't want to mess up what little flow we seem to have to our offense. If you look at it, Dirk's best games have come in losing efforts, meaning he is still trying to pick his spots, as are his teammates, and neither of them have allowed this assimilation to go smoothly.

I have a paypal account, and am willing to bet anyone on this forum 100 dollars that Dirk will be an all-star next year. All you fucking idiots who think he's done are not only naive, unintelligent, and short-sighted, but you clearly don't understand the game of basketball or knee injuries whatsoever. Please stop posting.

Quote:
Old 02-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #17
Dirk's Knee

Dirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDirkulous Tyme View Post
those of you who think Dirk is done, even done being as dominant as he was during our championship run, are obviously mentally unstable and/or have never seen/dealt with/researched knee injuries or surgerys as well. I'm guessing you all think that Derrick Rose will never be the player he one was as well, and that he might as well retire since his career is over. YOU PEOPLE ARE FUCKING MORONS!!!

It takes a LONG time to come back from a knee injury, and even moreso when you didn't have a training camp. Add this to the fact that the only players he has ever played with in this lineup are Carter and Marion, neither of which particularly play a lot of 2man game with Dirk. It isn't a physical issue at this point with Dirk, its mental. He simply needs more time to get the confidence in his knee to start making the moves he did during his playoff run. He also knows he doesn't have this confidence, and doesn't want to mess up what little flow we seem to have to our offense. If you look at it, Dirk's best games have come in losing efforts, meaning he is still trying to pick his spots, as are his teammates, and neither of them have allowed this assimilation to go smoothly.

I have a paypal account, and am willing to bet anyone on this forum 100 dollars that Dirk will be an all-star next year. All you fucking idiots who think he's done are not only naive, unintelligent, and short-sighted, but you clearly don't understand the game of basketball or knee injuries whatsoever. Please stop posting.

Chill Homer...like I said, hope I'm wrong. You can blame this year on the knee (DRose is a decade younger than Dirk BTW), but what was the excuse last year? The knee! Oh right. Then why did he wait so long to fix it? Oh yeah, he wasn't practicing in the off season...

I love Dirk. I have multiple #41 jerseys. Doesn't change my opinion. I'd love him to prove me wrong. I'll gladly eat my words...

Last edited by Dirk's Knee; 02-22-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #18
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:

Respectfully, This is a funny. Even the people that suggest Dirk is on the decline, which he is, can still love Dirk. Don't mix that into your emotional washing machine.

The comparison between Rose and Dirk doesn't work. Rose is "quite a bit" younger, Dirk is much bigger, and whiter. Dirk isn't getting any younger. His mobility, just as every great player before him will fade. They are able physically to do less and less, obviously. There is no miracle cure for age and injury or wear and tear....period.

I'm not saying "he's done", I'm saying his peak is no doubt gone. He is on the decline, meaning he will have some badass games and months and maybe your right, he makes the all-star next year...which means very little in this convo (Fans are ridiculous). It's ok, people aren't saying take him out back and shoot him. It's a FACT that he will decline to the point of a reserve and this team will never be the same when he's gone. With the right pieces I think he can possibly still have enough to make another good run and carry a team like in our championship run. Although it wasn't all him then. I don't personally think he will be able to after next year.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #19
ReDirkulous Tyme

Although Rose is a decade younger, his basketball ability is 100% reliant on his being an explosive, hyper-athlete who is simply faster/stronger/quicker than everyone else on the court. Ergo, he actually has LESS of a chance at recovering from knee surgery to his former-glory than does Dirk. Dirk's game does not rely on athleticism. Although a bit of quickness helps, the fact that Dirk is getting older shouldn't cause his game to decline...YET. He is a player that just needs his rhythm, and health. If he has those 2 things, which he does, there is no reason to expect his game to decline, either this season or next. I feel as though Dirk will be around 38 or late-37 before his game starts to decline. The dude could prolly play til he's 43 if he was motivated to (which he won't).

My rant stems from the fact that the people on these forums have an inability to look at the NBA from a big-picture standpoint. I feel as though people on here don't understand the CBA, don't understand why we let Tyson walk (regardless of the fact that it ENDED UP being the wrong decision), and certainly don't understand the potential of this team, or Dirk's ability to return to form. Some people on these boards know more than me, and its their posts that I actually read and enjoy, but most of you......its ridiculous. And you can discount my opinion all you want, but the fact of the matter is that I'm going to school to be a sports agent, specializing in the NBA. This is my career field, i know what the fuck i'm talking about.

Edit: I'm not saying you all aren't Dirk/Mavs fans, and as such I'm not criticizing this aspect of your posts. I'm simply criticizing your overall level of intellect and knowledge of the game of basketball. Just wanted to be clear.

Quote:

Last edited by ReDirkulous Tyme; 02-22-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #20
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
the fact of the matter is that I'm going to school to be a sports agent, specializing in the NBA. This is my career field, i know what the fuck i'm talking about.
Not speaking of you per se, but when looking across that field, it's rather apparent that one does not follow the other.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #21
ReDirkulous Tyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
Not speaking of you per se, but when looking across that field, it's rather apparent that one does not follow the other.
point made, but I maintain my stance....

Quote:
Old 02-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #22
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Although Rose is a decade younger, his basketball ability is 100% reliant on his being an explosive, hyper-athlete who is simply faster/stronger/quicker than everyone else on the court. Ergo, he actually has LESS of a chance at recovering from knee surgery to his former-glory than does Dirk. Dirk's game does not rely on athleticism. Although a bit of quickness helps, the fact that Dirk is getting older shouldn't cause his game to decline...YET. He is a player that just needs his rhythm, and health. If he has those 2 things, which he does, there is no reason to expect his game to decline, either this season or next. I feel as though Dirk will be around 38 or late-37 before his game starts to decline. The dude could prolly play til he's 43 if he was motivated to (which he won't).
I disagree that Dirks game doesn't rely on his athleticism, at least a good bit does. If that were true he'd be the same player he was, right now. Also, he can't carry a team with only the ability to shoot the J. He can be an average or slightly above average player in the league, but his playing time would diminish because he can't guard anyone. That is why he can't and won't play as late as you claim...at least not anything more than a shadow of what he once was. IF he can't dominate or play at a really high level offensively to counter the fact that he can't defend because of a lack of athleticism, he won't be on the floor a lot.

Some people have a false notion that he can just cruise around and just bomb jumpers until he's 40 and not need his full arsenal of moves that really catapulted him into the elite player he is. (Not to mention defensively Dirk at even 38 will be tough to watch.) That's just not reality, if you are going to be a sports agent and do anything in the field, that is something that you may want to fully comprehend.

Quote:
My rant stems from the fact that the people on these forums have an inability to look at the NBA from a big-picture standpoint. I feel as though people on here don't understand the CBA, don't understand why we let Tyson walk (regardless of the fact that it ENDED UP being the wrong decision), and certainly don't understand the potential of this team, or Dirk's ability to return to form. Some people on these boards know more than me, and its their posts that I actually read and enjoy, but most of you......its ridiculous. And you can discount my opinion all you want, but the fact of the matter is that I'm going to school to be a sports agent, specializing in the NBA. This is my career field, i know what the fuck i'm talking about.

Edit: I'm not saying you all aren't Dirk/Mavs fans, and as such I'm not criticizing this aspect of your posts. I'm simply criticizing your overall level of intellect and knowledge of the game of basketball. Just wanted to be clear.
I am not in this group.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #23
SMC0007
Guru

dp

Last edited by SMC0007; 02-22-2013 at 04:36 PM. Reason: dp
Old 02-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #24
Dirk's Knee

Quote:

As you're studying to be a sports agent, it should be obvious to you that Dirk's peak statistical years were actually from 2004 to 2006. I've been watching the game of basketball since I was a boy. And you see the talent fall off once a player hits 30 years old in nearly every case. I can give you a real life case study if you want to do some home work: Hakeem Olajuwon.

Olajuwan's peak statistical years were from 1993 to 1995 when he was 30 ish. After a steady decline for a few years, his number dropped of significantly in 1998, the year he turned 35. Retired within 5 years. David Robinson has a similar peak at 30 and then a fall off. These guys aren't the exception, they are the norm. Even Kobe had his career best numbers around 30. MJ even younger. These guys do not improve once they pass 30 years old, and there are only a handful of guys in the history of the NBA who have been able to retain any kind of consistency up to the age of 40 and those are the guys whose bodies are in peak physical shape (aka Karl Malone).

With much love for Dirk, and it breaks my heart a little to say it, I just don't see it.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:52 PM   #25
roadrunner
Golden Member

roadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to behold

[quote=ReDirkulous Tyme;1305325]And you can discount my opinion all you want, but the fact of the matter is that I'm going to school to be a sports agent, specializing in the NBA. This is my career field, i know what the fuck i'm talking about.[quote]

I say the truest characteristics of ignorance are vanity, pride and arrogance and you have the market cornered on all of these.
We ran like a simple play, and usually the ball doesn’t come get me until later. So I just trotted through the play and I looked to the ball, and it was already right there in my face. … He sees the floor so well and sometimes he throws the ball and we don’t see it. He’s liable to really throw anything.” Dirk

Kidd to Dirk is the present day Stockton to Malone.

Last edited by roadrunner; 02-22-2013 at 08:54 PM.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #26
ReDirkulous Tyme

the fact that you're trying to compare Dirk to anyone else in terms of longevity is actually pretty humorous, since there hasn't been one, aside from maybe Bird (injuries derailed his career early though). I'm gonna have to consider your well thought-out analogy to be invalid, although I see your point. Fact is, Dirk's game depends on rhythm, and confidence in his health. Dirk simply chooses not to go 110% every play every game, because he has realized that overall the regular season is meaningless, as long as you make the playoffs. And you can call me ignorant if you want, but i have yet to see anyone give me any plausible reason to change my stance. I could counter each and every argument if i felt like wasting my time writing an essay...but the fact is I have 3 other projects to do this weekend and will be working about 30 hours at my job, throw in the 16 hours of practice I have this weekend for UT's paintball team and maybe you'll understand why I won't argue points with the people who I deem as incapable of grasping my points (at least most of the time).

edit: also, I have watched nearly every mavericks game since 2000, and prolly watched around 200-250 hours of youtube footage on Dirk alone...I would say I know his game as well or better than anyone on these forums.

Quote:

Last edited by ReDirkulous Tyme; 02-22-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:38 AM   #27
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I disagree that Dirks game doesn't rely on his athleticism, at least a good bit does. If that were true he'd be the same player he was, right now. Also, he can't carry a team with only the ability to shoot the J. He can be an average or slightly above average player in the league, but his playing time would diminish because he can't guard anyone. That is why he can't and won't play as late as you claim...at least not anything more than a shadow of what he once was. IF he can't dominate or play at a really high level offensively to counter the fact that he can't defend because of a lack of athleticism, he won't be on the floor a lot.

Some people have a false notion that he can just cruise around and just bomb jumpers until he's 40 and not need his full arsenal of moves that really catapulted him into the elite player he is. (Not to mention defensively Dirk at even 38 will be tough to watch.) That's just not reality, if you are going to be a sports agent and do anything in the field, that is something that you may want to fully comprehend.

I am not in this group.
I agree with this. Dirk offensively plays the power forward position like a sf. That requires quickness off the dribble and his legs. He shoots a fallaway predominantly.

I think he will unfortunately fade kinda quick unless he determines to play much closer and bangs down low. But athleticism is relative.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 02-23-2013 at 12:40 AM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #28
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

The Dirk/Steve Nash not athletic argument is the dumbest friggin thing I've ever heard. Not only have these guys played with the best athletes in the world they have dominated them at times. If you want to talk about guys not athletic look at the Korver's or Steve Novak's of the world.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:27 PM   #29
MavsFTR
Golden Member

MavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud of

If the Mavs win on Monday, we'll be tied with the Lakers, right?
MavsFTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #30
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfieldtrash View Post
The Dirk/Steve Nash not athletic argument is the dumbest friggin thing I've ever heard. Not only have these guys played with the best athletes in the world they have dominated them at times. If you want to talk about guys not athletic look at the Korver's or Steve Novak's of the world.
So much fail in this.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #31
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
So much fail in this.
Are you really surprised?
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #32
nowhereman
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kante View Post
Are you really surprised?
"It's bullshit to say these guys aren't athletic. They play in the NBA for God's sake! Now if you want to talk about unathletic people, look at these NBA players!"

Quote:
Old 02-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #33
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
So much fail in this.
Explain? There are plenty of lights out shooters all over the world. Problem is they can't get a shot off at the NBA level. It's takes tremendous athleticism to shake off a NBA caliber defender and get a shot off.

I am tired of all the stat geeks. You dweebs don't have the slightest clue about the game of basketball besides what you heard on the post game show.

I'd love more than anything for one of you guys to get thrown into a NBA game and say have a guy like Westbrook cover you. I'd love to see you get one clean look without getting the ball smacked right back into your face. Then tell me how you can be so not athletic and play NBA ball.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #34
nowhereman
Diamond Member

Quote:
If you want to talk about guys not athletic look at the Korver's or Steve Novak's of the world.
Quote:
I'd love to see you get one clean look without getting the ball smacked right back into your face. Then tell me how you can be so not athletic and play NBA ball.
Cocaine is a hell of a drug

Quote:
Old 02-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #35
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk has lost a lot of his athleticism. But he still should be a decent role player until he decides to retire.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #36
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Kaman's been cleared to play tomorrow.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #37
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Dirk is a beast when it comes to athleticism. Look at his durability, look at his playoff career stats, look at his matchups against Garnett, Duncan, and all the other elite defenders. Look at his coast to coast dunks and at his "point-forward" moments.

And at the same time Dirk does not rely on athleticism, because he is 1. seven feet tall, 2. smart and 3. a shooter. Dirk will simply have to adjust his game a little bit and add some new tricks...

Last edited by markus1234; 02-23-2013 at 05:30 PM.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #38
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
Kaman's been cleared to play tomorrow.
Let's see how it affects the rotation. I guess Wright is out again and Kaman taking his role.
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #39
lukasbayern18

lukasbayern18 is on a distinguished road

Regardless of the athleticism question, it's important to look at the bigger overall picture: is Dirk going to be the best player on a team that could go out and beat what's most likely going to end up being the best team in the West (i.e. Spurs, Thunder) in the first round? I find that incredibly unlikely. Admittedly, the Mavericks have gotten contributions from players who are potentially pieces on a championship-caliber team, but that year is not this year. It's time to trade Vince for an additional early second-round pick, see if we can get some young talent around Dirk through the twilight of his career, and target D12 during the summer, considering the fact that he'd get the number of post touches he wants in Dallas and would have the best shooting seven footer in the history of the game to space the floor. While I understand that the NBA is a business, I'm incredibly reluctant to see Dirk finish his career anywhere else. Trading him would be remiss and disrespectful to everything he's given the organization.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #40
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Well, as of this moment, thanks to the Wizards' win over Houston, the Mavs are at least 100% in control of their own destiny, even if the margin is thin.

Tags
dumb dirk-doubters, i like dirk best!, i like dirk more than you, my dirk's bigger than urs