Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 06-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #121
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
I suppose my shows right now are:
Walking Dead
Criminal Minds
The Following (although it did not end well at all)
The Americans
Game of Thrones

That's about it. I watch a reality show/competition right now only because I have a relative that's doing quite well. Otherwise, I had never seen the show and will never watch it once she/he's off the show.
Forgot to mention Breaking Bad.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #122
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirobaito View Post
Man, I knew that was coming and it was still brutal.

Think we'll get the next wedding next week, or will that wait until the beginning of season 4?
Still sick to my stomach... Haven't felt that way since I saw Kirk's son get stabbed in the belly in "Search For Spock" Very traumatic at any age...much less 10 or 11

Last edited by ShaggyDirk; 06-07-2013 at 09:19 PM.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:25 PM   #123
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Finally getting around to watching Friday Night Lights - into Season 4 now. Dillon is starting to remind me of the Simpsons' Springfield, in that I expect them to introduce a Russian District to the town at any moment.

Also don't know how Taylor was considered such a great coach. He won a state championship, sure, but it seems like he won almost every game on the final play as time expired. It was my understanding that a state champion 4A school (Dillon HS had about 2,000 in it combined, which is a big 4A school or a very small 5A school) should throttle almost everyone they play.

Last edited by Kirobaito; 07-01-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Kirobaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:21 AM   #124
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Finally getting around to watching Friday Night Lights - into Season 4 now. Dillon is starting to remind me of the Simpsons' Springfield, in that I expect them to introduce a Ru. ian District to the town at any moment.

Also don't know how Taylor was considered such a great coach. He won a state championship, sure, but it seems like he won almost every game on the final play as time expired. It was my understanding that a state champion 4A school (Dillon HS had about 2,000 in it combined, which is a big 4A school or a very small 5A school) should throttle almost everyone they play.
Well, that doesn't make for very dramatic television... It's been a while, but I believe they do show some blowouts, especially in episodes where the actual football action is pushed to the backburner
Old 07-03-2013, 12:21 AM   #125
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Season five, Julie doesn't know what a sopapilla is. I don't believe them.

Also, on the last play of the game thing: back in 2010, Trinity beat Coppell on the last play of the game, do-or-die, in an actual Texas state high school playoff game and it's considered one of the greatest games ever played in the state. Dillon/East Dillon basically plays that game 6 times a year.

Last edited by Kirobaito; 07-05-2013 at 02:27 AM.
Kirobaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:07 AM   #126
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Orange is the New Black on Netflix. Spot-on stuff.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:17 AM   #127
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Quote:
Season five, Julie doesn't know what a sopapilla is. I don't believe them.

Also, on the last play of the game thing: back in 2010, Trinity beat Coppell on the last play of the game, do-or-die, in an actual Texas state high school playoff game and it's considered one of the greatest games ever played in the state. Dillon/East Dillon basically plays that game 6 times a year.
It's partially your fault for expecting a basic channel tv show to have a quality script. Honestly I don't see how you made it through 4 seasons of that. I can't even make it through 4 seasons of MadMen because the writing jumps off a cliff. (Can a zombie just eat Megan's face already?) And that show was actually good at a point!

But hey, at least they didn't create a black hole within earth's atmosphere and live to tell the tale.

Last edited by Ninkobei; 07-17-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Ninkobei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #128
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninkobei View Post
It's partially your fault for expecting a basic channel tv show to have a quality script. Honestly I don't see how you made it through 4 seasons of that. I can't even make it through 4 seasons of MadMen because the writing jumps off a cliff. (Can a zombie just eat Megan's face already?) And that show was actually good at a point!

But hey, at least they didn't create a black hole within earth's atmosphere and live to tell the tale.
Well, past season three it was only halfway a basic channel TV show, with the whole DirecTV thing. At any rate, I watched all five seasons and ended up loving it immensely. There were just little things like that that annoyed me.

Season 5 is the best season of Mad Men thus far, at least I think. Season 4 is relatively weak with the exception of "The Suitcase," which will probably be looked at as the series centerpiece. I would rank them as 5-3-1-6-4-2. Kind of like inverted Star Trek movies.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #129
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone watching The Bridge? Caught the pilot last week and thought it was really good.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #130
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Just asked my cousin that lives in NY if she knows what a sopapilla is.. never heard of it.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #131
Murphy3
Guru

For the record, Friday Night Lights was twice nominated for Emmy's for Outstanding Writing. It was also nominated for Outstanding Drama Series.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #132
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Quote:
For the record, Friday Night Lights was twice nominated for Emmy's for Outstanding Writing. It was also nominated for Outstanding Drama Series.
Yes, I thought the writing was outstanding. The dialogue between Eric and Tami was always excellent. I just found it a bit hard to believe that a person from New England (Julie's history TA) knew what a sopapilla was but Julie, who was from Texas, did not.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #133
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone watch the first season of Banshee. Not high brow at all but some very raw scenes.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #134
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Anyone watch the first season of Banshee. Not high brow at all but some very raw scenes.
Never heard of it - what's it about?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #135
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Never heard of it - what's it about?
It's kind of Buford pusser meets MMA.

Con gets out after surviving brutal prison sentence. Finds girl then in a twist of fate becomes the sheriff.

Youtube banshee MMA fight. The show is not very smart, but it does have some over the top fight scenes.

Kind of a very brutal con with a conscience. Er?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 08-14-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #136
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Yes, I thought the writing was outstanding. The dialogue between Eric and Tami was always excellent. I just found it a bit hard to believe that a person from New England (Julie's history TA) knew what a sopapilla was but Julie, who was from Texas, did not.
In case you don't know many of them..let me fill you in on a little secret. High school girls are pretty damn stupid for the most part.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #137
Murphy3
Guru

Anyone watch Sons of Anarchy? I'm about done with Season 1. It's pretty good, but not a guarantee that I continue watching. Anyone follow it through the entire series to date?..
Old 08-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #138
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Anyone watch Sons of Anarchy? I'm about done with Season 1. It's pretty good, but not a guarantee that I continue watching. Anyone follow it through the entire series to date?..
It gets dumber as it goes along. The wife and I had to make a drinking game just to finish the third season, take a drink anytime someone says SamCro. We never got into the fourth season.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #139
dude1394
Guru

I just finished spartacus. It was wildly violent but dang if I wasn't really invested. Especially when Crassus and Ceasar showed up.

Last edited by dude1394; 08-08-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #140
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Just finished season 4 of House. the two-part finale is just brilliant TV.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #141
Murphy3
Guru

I really enjoyed the first few years of House..
Old 08-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #142
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

1. Game of Thrones
2. Mad Men
3. Breaking Bad
4. Boardwalk Empire
5. The Office

Last edited by oilfieldtrash; 08-11-2013 at 01:35 PM.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #143
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I really enjoyed the first few years of House..
Did you fall behind on the show or stop watching by choice? I'm just getting into season 5 right now so I can't speak for the last few seasons, but so far I think it's been consistently good.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #144
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
Did you fall behind on the show or stop watching by choice? I'm just getting into season 5 right now so I can't speak for the last few seasons, but so far I think it's been consistently good.
Can't speak for Murph, but I really enjoyed the first 4 seasons of House, but it went down hill (for me) really quickly starting in season 5. I watched out of habit for a while and then completely bailed for the last couple seasons.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #145
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

The chemistry between watson and house stays throughout the series. Really thats the best reason to watch. If you haven't seen the series finale its probably worth watching for the ending alone.

Last edited by Ninkobei; 08-11-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #146
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Breaking bad breaking bad breaking bad breaking bad breaking bad breaking bad
Old 08-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #147
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Breaking bad breaking bad breaking bad breaking bad breaking bad breaking bad
Game of Thrones is better and I love and have watched every episode of Breaking Bad. I'd say Mad Men is possibly slightly better as well although one could argue either side and I might agree. Game of Thrones there isn't a discussion imo. Its clearly better.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #148
spreedom
Diamond Member

I think Justified is the best show on TV right now... Mad Men a close second.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #149
spreedom
Diamond Member

Also, I started watching New Girl about two weeks ago... possibly the best comedy on TV.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #150
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfieldtrash View Post
Game of Thrones is better and I love and have watched every episode of Breaking Bad. I'd say Mad Men is possibly slightly better as well although one could argue either side and I might agree. Game of Thrones there isn't a discussion imo. Its clearly better.
I think he means that the season premier is on.

Last edited by Ninkobei; 08-11-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:22 AM   #151
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Quote:
I hope you didn't spend too much money on the giant bottle of wrong you're drinking.

I watch and enjoy all three of those shows, but Mad Men never leaves you utterly breathless like the final scene of tonight's episode. I couldn't move. Game of Thrones can get into serious slog, in part because it's coming from source material that lacks an end. Breaking Bad is a work of art unmatched among shows currently airing.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #152
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

Look I love Breaking Bad. It is one of the best tv series ever made. I will say compared to all of the depth of the characters and stories involved with Game of Thrones Breaking Bad falls short. There's only so much that can be done with the breaking bad plot hence the series ending this year.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #153
spreedom
Diamond Member

Also, Low Winter Sun was pretty good; it debuted right after Breaking Bad. Looks like it will be slow-burning plot wise but the performances were all very good and I like the Detroit setting.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #154
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Quote:
Look I love Breaking Bad. It is one of the best tv series ever made. I will say compared to all of the depth of the characters and stories involved with Game of Thrones Breaking Bad falls short. There's only so much that can be done with the breaking bad plot hence the series ending this year.
Don't lie, you just watch it for the naked ladies (or men?), don't you?

Last edited by Ninkobei; 08-12-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #155
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Breaking bad is significantly better than Game of Thrones in my book.

The Wire is better, and there have been seasons or chunks of episodes of other shows that I've enjoyed as much (Lost, Justified), but other than The Wire, no other show has consistently put together a whole product as good as Breaking Bad.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #156
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Game of Thrones is not better. It's good, but the pacing is slow...
Old 08-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #157
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Breaking bad is significantly better than Game of Thrones in my book.

The Wire is better, and there have been seasons or chunks of episodes of other shows that I've enjoyed as much (Lost, Justified), but other than The Wire, no other show has consistently put together a whole product as good as Breaking Bad.
If I had to rank shows.. Wire and Breaking Bad would be 1 and 2. I don't know what 3 would be... there's a pretty good gap between 2 and 3.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #158
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
I think Justified is the best show on TV right now... Mad Men a close second.
I dropped Mad Men about 4-5 episodes in..
Old 08-12-2013, 07:58 PM   #159
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Can't speak for Murph, but I really enjoyed the first 4 seasons of House, but it went down hill (for me) really quickly starting in season 5. I watched out of habit for a while and then completely bailed for the last couple seasons.
It went down hill quickly about the time 13 joined the show.. There were cracks prior to that, but that was pretty much the damn breaking in my opinion.

It's the type of show that you can just watch until you don't like it anymore and give it up without worrying about how things ended.. All you have then do is just watch the last couple of episodes and you'll be fine. But the leads in that show are tremendous and I absolutely recommend it. The guy that plays House is a freaking genius..
Old 08-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #160
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Breaking Bad and GOT aren't really comparable. Apples and oranges.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote